Sharoe Green Workhouse, Preston
Sharoe Green Hospital opened in 1869 and was originally owned and managed by Preston Borough Council.
As the years progressed, the hospital had staff and facilities covering various specialties, including infectious diseases, mental health and maternity services. It was also a workhouse hospital until 1929.
An extension was built in 1968 and by 1973 there were new gynaecology, plastic surgery, coronary care and orthopaedics wards, a suite of operating theatres, a sterile supplies department, pharmacy, nurse training school and more staff residential accommodation.
On 1 April 1974 the ownership of the hospital was transferred from the Preston and Chorley Hospital Management Committee (which had run Sharoe Green Hospital since 1948) to the Lancashire Area Health Authority.
© 2019 Tony Worrall