Belmont Abbey, Oct 2016
Founded by Francis Wegg-Prosser, The construction of Belmont Abbey church began in 1857 and it was consecrated in1860. It was built to the designs of Edward Welby Pugin (son of the great Augustus Welby Pugin) in the decorated, early English style. The exterior is in local pink sandstone, simple and unadorned. The interior is faced with warm Bath stone. The church is dominated by four elegant, steeply pointed, arches which support the central tower. Originally this was the crossing, but now the altar stands here at the centre of the Church.
4 photos · 6 views