zen♫'s flickr score: 6114
Yes, Zen is my name - my parents were beatniks (but not enough to put Zen on my birth certificate, they just called me that)
I take my camera everywhere and take photos of nearly everything. That's why i have a lot of shots, and one or two good ones. I am fascinated by light and reflection, so i don't think i'll have a problem when i'm supposed to head for the light after this life is done.
I try very hard and take many photos in order to get the right shot into my camera. I do not use photoshop on the vast majority of my images to enhance or saturate or filter. On the occasion when i do, i so state (and usually sign the work in the corner).
Being on a Mac, i do use GraphicConverter to crop, to brighten, to size and tweak the levels a bit on a photo, but nothing outside what was done traditionally in a darkroom.
I tend to want to see the unseen and try to photograph the unwilling or unwanted. I strive to keep my "beginner eyes." Hopefully the things i have learned about photographing have to do with how to control the camera and not how to "see appropriately."
One of my aims is to capture the commonplace that is also temporary. Things gone tomorrow and only around yesterday.
I also geek out on plants native to North America and the Great Smokies region of the mountains where i live. If you want something identified i'm usually pretty good at the flowers, and only so-so at the woody plants.
I also delete any of the silly "Award" animated-gif comments in my photostream and am an active member of the no-awards group.
I'm Male and Desperately in Love with Helen.
- Stencil_Sticker_Stamp 12,729 photos, 152 members
- YOU GO GiRL 2,581 photos, 305 members
- Photographers from around the world 788,746 photos, 10,509 members
- Plants, Stones & Nature Landscapes 77,268 photos, 1,845 members
- Sony CyberShot HX20V - HX30V 6,615 photos, 316 members
- Abandoned Factories and Mills 20,585 photos, 660 members
- Biltmore Estate 4,219 photos, 506 members
- SOMETHING DIFFERENT (post 1, comment 1) 36,095 photos, 1,869 members
- Reflections (Post 1 Award 3) 29,047 photos, 3,908 members
- Abstract reflections 19,116 photos, 1,184 members
- That would be SUCH an album cover 187 photos, 61 members
- Challenges Universe (reloaded) - on facebook! 362 photos, 2,363 members
- QR Codes in the wild 1,999 photos, 716 members
- Piu-piu na gaiola 45 photos, 18 members
- Traveling Toys 47,556 photos, 2,497 members
- Carolina Public Press 4,535 photos, 79 members
- #AVLSNOMG 54 photos, 11 members
- Skink Pinhole Photography 453 photos, 98 members
- Digital Pinhole Photography 7,504 photos, 1,768 members
- TEDxAVL 189 photos, 20 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 510,136 photos, 15,024 members
- ID Please 12,822 photos, 974 members
- incidental painting 2,824 photos, 126 members
- (+: (+: (+: les frères ripolin :+) :+) :+) 2,992 photos, 182 members
- MOMS GRAFF 1,868 photos, 107 members
- silly buddha 551 photos, 297 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - See recent discussions! 45,584 photos, 4,258 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 14,841 photos, 18,256 members
- Photographers with Compact Cameras 46,291 photos, 796 members
- La mia prima foto su Flickr - My first photo on Flickr 11,401 photos, 22,188 members
- Canon EOS 400D (aka. Rebel XTi / KISS Digital X) 488,038 photos, 18,333 members
- imaginary maps 233 photos, 43 members
- 37 2,525 photos, 234 members
- Worldwide Photo Walk - Asheville 492 photos, 42 members
- The Found Alphabet 4 photos, 7 members
- we heart gato 207 photos, 43 members
- ditloa2009winners 81 photos, 41 members
- Transylvania County, NC 1,112 photos, 81 members
- DITLO Asheville 732 photos, 175 members
- 2009 Spring DITLOA 0 photos, 8 members
- Mountain Xpress Community Photo Gallery 376 photos, 124 members
- Asheville Photo Meet-ups 219 photos, 55 members
- photogamer 4,452 photos, 1,402 members
- Motion Minimalism 2,388 photos, 434 members
- The Photo Of The Week ( Limit 1 per day!) 45,455 photos, 3,219 members
- Polaroid Spectra 21,100 photos, 2,550 members
- Shoe Conversations 1,131 photos, 326 members
- Ceramics 33,113 photos, 2,683 members
- Pensive Abstractions 60,449 photos, 1,573 members
- Creative Photography 881,506 photos, 21,234 members
"zen has not had a new testimonial in almost 2 years. wow. perhaps the testimonial biz is not what it was in better times.
I hereby attempt to make times better...
zen lives around the corner from me. we share many common (or to most people, uncommon) interests, not the least of which is an attempt to document our lives here on flickr.
To the extent zen succeeds at this far better than I is an eternal challenge to me, to keep going and out-zen zen.
I am not sure it can be done, but there it is."
April 15th, 2010
"He's the zen poet of shadows, dribbles, found art, the discarded - even the banal. A very positive artist indeed."
June 11th, 2008
O Caritas says:
"If there is one person on flickr who lives up to his name, it's zen.
A stroll through zen's stream is indeed a trip through a mindful existence. His photos run the gamut from awe-inspiring vistas of his homeland to awe-inspiring glimpses of his daily minutiae. In this collection of photographs, there is an endless supply of smiles and laughter and tenderness and thoughtfulness.
If a technological phenomenon such as flickr can have a soul, then I contend that it resides right here in this photostream."
February 8th, 2008
"Zen has been on my contacts list for more than a year now, which is a fair testament in itself. Anyhow, I might not say much when I'm here, but I like these photos, they're witty and joyful, and there's always something new to see. Thank you!"
May 2nd, 2006
patisfaction ~ censored says:
"Zen is a long time buddy from the 'golden' fotolog era.
He's a phun & creative picture takin devil, there's almost no subject he can't handle.
Zen is -the- groups/community man in heart n soul!
[he made the 1st & famous grouppage outside flog]
Thnx 4 all man!
March 6th, 2006
"zen is joy and zen is fun. he is my neighbour, the ocean is just a small pool.
my day is not the same without your pictures, zen.
February 24th, 2006
"I'm fortunate enough to be a friend of Zen outside of cyberspace as well as in. We try our best to meet for a hike once a month and continuously bother each other on the phone with matters from the insignificant to the insurmountable.
The visual playgrounds Zen shares with us are surpassed only by the person himself. Zen finds the acceptable - even the likable - in most anything he encounters. Be it an alley, a plant, a person...anything that one might think of as ordinary, dirty, or perhaps repulsive.... Zen will connect with the good, the intriguing, the wonderment in it. This is true for his eye - and his soul.
...and because of him, i'm slowly learning to do the same."
October 6th, 2005
"Zen will take you on a visual ride with deep implications if one can "see". To see his photographs one just has to look. We all go through most of our days in a sleep walk, and Zens talent is to slap you awake. One can tell he is in an almost constant state of awareness, because his photographs are his testimony of that awareness. I look forward to his posts and have delighted in their oneness, and their depth of awareness. What is the sound of one hand clicking? Zen"
September 11th, 2005
"Zen is an apt name for this fellow. His images are filled with noticement and wonder; he pictures the mundane but illustrates the transcendent. A daily dose of Zen will cure what ails you."
April 10th, 2005
"Master of the roving lens, zen captures the essence of all subjects great and small. His contributions to flickr can be seen across genres, whether they be spelled out in the Technique group, or peppered throughout dozens of others. His portraits though, deserve special note, as they draw the viewer into the lives of strangers so exquisitely.
After visiting Asheville during the holidays, I have now made my partner a solemn promise to never yell out the name of someone I’ve only met in zen’s flickr world. That guy, who upon turning around and exposing himself as someone other than who I thought he was, is probably still wondering why I yelled “King Snake!” as he crossed the street.
I blame zen, for transparently showing us the world through his eyes."
January 4th, 2005
"a berserk kind of photographer, nothing being too difficult to be portrayed, no idea too crazy to not being put into execution! I am amazed by zen's creativity, the way his senses alert him about everything that's special in the common and about the universally appliable in the special. I am glad for having the chance to share a piece of zen vision every single day :)"
December 14th, 2004
Auntie P says:
"What can I say? Zen is a wonderfully prolific photographer whose quality never seems to slip. His eye for a great image is incredible, from edgy urban observations to subtle and sensitive captures of the natural world. A master of the abstract, Zen's photographs are stunning, often breathtaking, occasionally witty and always worth a good long look."
November 7th, 2004
- zen Sutherland
- September 2004
- Vienna, VA
- Asheville, NC, USA
- Electronic Medical Records Specialist
- zenscription, my writing blog