I have looked at many thousands of photos on Flickr, and have had the joy of seeing numerous beautiful compositions. Thanks to all for sharing so many interesting views.
I have a PhD from the University of British Columbia in the forest sciences. My dissertation (available for download from the UBC Library cIRcle Archive) involved the climatology and meteorology of windstorms in southwest BC and associated tree-related power outages. I also have a strong interest in writing, illustration and photography, with professional publications in all three of these areas. I have had several stories and scores of illustrations published in the magazine Analog Science Fiction and Fact. Recent photo credits include a number of images in the 2009 book Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass.
Photography for me is first a means of documenting the world in which I live, and second an art. I do not believe that every photo needs to meet a specific set of artistic or technical criteria to be interesting. In fact one thought that I tend to work by is, “There is only one rule in art: That there are no rules save the limitations you put on yourself (and, of course, those imposed by physical reality).” Also, a composition is a set of compromises. No single image can be “perfect” in the sense of having every variable exactly the way they are desired to be. Something akin to “perfect”, or “beauty”, may be found in the balance and tension between opposing forces in the composition.
Among the many subjects that I photograph, I especially enjoy capturing images of weather, landscapes, avians, arthropods and botanical specimens. I have a particular fondness for black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees, as well as corvids, and spend a fair amount of my photographic effort on these birds. Dragonflies, ants and a host of Pacific Coast vegetation are also under the gaze of my lens quite frequently.
Sometimes I approach photography from a very artistic sense. At these times, the subject does not matter.
Thanks much for viewing. All my photographs are copyrighted. Please respect copyright law. I am open to sharing my images, especially for educational purposes--please just ask. Quality prints of these images are also for sale. Cards, framed prints, posters and calendars of many of the images in my photostream (plus more) are for sale on RedBubble (link below). Publishers and others who wish to use these photos, and/or are interested in hiring me for commissions feel free to contact me via e-mail. I can be reached at (spam-protected e-mail): [wolfread]_at _ mac[dot]com.
Thank you much for visiting my photostream.
- UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day 43,379 photos, 1,015 members
- Beautiful Birds 200,078 photos, 4,540 members
- Hard to Duplicate (Post 1, Award 3) 6,302 photos, 623 members
- Canon EOS 60D 184,526 photos, 5,124 members
- Amazing Weather (Skies, Nature, Places) 43,820 photos, 1,517 members
- 60D Nature Photography 12,749 photos, 470 members
- Great Photography, in Marc's opinion 239 photos, 1,119 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 82,558 photos, 3,719 members
- Transportation 267,556 photos, 1,659 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 1,202,852 photos, 57,395 members
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II 288,410 photos, 21,150 members
- This Museum Called Canada 7,829 photos, 124 members
- Beautiful B. C. 9,564 photos, 192 members
- Dragonfly & Damselfly Moments 56,113 photos, 5,214 members
- Vancouver Sights 1,968 photos, 103 members
- Vancouver Transit 21,737 photos, 872 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 381,717 photos, 12,408 members
- Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival 876 photos, 117 members
- *Nature's Beautiful Photography- color only, invite only, P1-C 47,229 photos, 3,476 members
- Documenting the Human Life 30,865 photos, 587 members
- Flickr Hacks 439 photos, 20,367 members
- Birds Photos 1,863,296 photos, 67,212 members
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM 15,508 photos, 968 members
- Vancouver,Vancouver 7,425 photos, 267 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 41,148 photos, 4,981 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 415,025 photos, 105,945 members
- a day in the life of 4 November 292 photos, 301 members
- The shots you missed!-The best of the worst! 5 photos, 8 members
- NATURE IN PURE STATE (POST AND COMENT 2) 40,136 photos, 1,856 members
- Oh, Canada 11,470 photos, 200 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 462,146 photos, 40,208 members
- Canada from Sea to Sea 366,272 photos, 9,582 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 88,594 photos, 9,915 members
- Animal Planet 828,334 photos, 67,802 members
- Field Guide: Mammals of North America 2,709 photos, 191 members
- Best of Squirrels 7,450 photos, 2,206 members
- squirrels 72,610 photos, 10,151 members
- Cats Cats Cats 420,914 photos, 27,658 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 58,332 photos, 1,099 members
- Northwest Birders 22,624 photos, 337 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L & (IS) USM 109,534 photos, 9,374 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 21,484 photos, 2,484 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 80,260 photos, 8,714 members
- Darting Dragonflies 2,024 photos, 189 members
- "Quality Only" Bird Club 13,859 photos, 1,651 members
- Views: 100 943,960 photos, 27,260 members
- CBC Radio 3 64,497 photos, 1,733 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) 363,998 photos, 24,823 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 12,408 photos, 1,587 members
- Birding Photography: Gear and Places 197 photos, 90 members
frosty_white_raven doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Wolf Read, PhD
- June 2009
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- frosty_white_raven's RebBubble site