I have looked at many thousands of photos on Flickr, and have had the joy of seeing numerous beautiful compositions. Thanks to all for sharing so many interesting views.
I have a PhD from the University of British Columbia in the forest sciences. My dissertation (available for download from the UBC Library cIRcle Archive) involved the climatology and meteorology of windstorms in southwest BC and associated tree-related power outages. I also have a strong interest in writing, illustration and photography, with professional publications in all three of these areas. I have had several stories and scores of illustrations published in the magazine Analog Science Fiction and Fact. Recent photo credits include a number of images in the 2009 book Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass.
Photography for me is first a means of documenting the world in which I live, and second an art. I do not believe that every photo needs to meet a specific set of artistic or technical criteria to be interesting. In fact one thought that I tend to work by is, “There is only one rule in art: That there are no rules save the limitations you put on yourself (and, of course, those imposed by physical reality).” Also, a composition is a set of compromises. No single image can be “perfect” in the sense of having every variable exactly the way they are desired to be. Something akin to “perfect”, or “beauty”, may be found in the balance and tension between opposing forces in the composition.
Among the many subjects that I photograph, I especially enjoy capturing images of weather, landscapes, avians, arthropods and botanical specimens. I have a particular fondness for black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees, as well as corvids, and spend a fair amount of my photographic effort on these birds. Dragonflies, ants and a host of Pacific Coast vegetation are also under the gaze of my lens quite frequently.
Sometimes I approach photography from a very artistic sense. At these times, the subject does not matter.
Thanks much for viewing. All my photographs are copyrighted. Please respect copyright law. I am open to sharing my images, especially for educational purposes--please just ask. Quality prints of these images are also for sale. Cards, framed prints, posters and calendars of many of the images in my photostream (plus more) are for sale on RedBubble (link below). Publishers and others who wish to use these photos, and/or are interested in hiring me for commissions feel free to contact me via e-mail. I can be reached at (spam-protected e-mail): [wolfread]_at _ mac[dot]com.
Thank you much for visiting my photostream.
- UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day 50,546 photos, 1,035 members
- Beautiful Birds 238,281 photos, 4,779 members
- Hard to Duplicate (Post 1, Award 3) 6,696 photos, 616 members
- Canon EOS 60D 220,373 photos, 5,721 members
- Amazing Weather (Skies, Nature, Places) 56,313 photos, 1,708 members
- 60D Nature Photography 15,556 photos, 526 members
- Great Photography, in Marc's opinion 235 photos, 1,112 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 86,644 photos, 3,864 members
- Transportation 414,998 photos, 2,077 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 1,329,635 photos, 61,599 members
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II 304,094 photos, 21,775 members
- This Museum Called Canada 9,853 photos, 139 members
- Beautiful B. C. 11,864 photos, 224 members
- Dragonfly & Damselfly Moments 64,533 photos, 5,757 members
- Vancouver Sights 2,732 photos, 119 members
- Vancouver Transit 27,400 photos, 884 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 412,225 photos, 12,539 members
- Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival 1,014 photos, 123 members
- *Nature's Beautiful Photography- (P1~A1)NO PEOPLE/NO BUILDINGS 85,038 photos, 5,094 members
- Documenting the Human Life 44,918 photos, 708 members
- Flickr Hacks 424 photos, 21,907 members
- Birds Photos 2,388,054 photos, 77,823 members
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM 18,569 photos, 1,027 members
- Vancouver,Vancouver 11,154 photos, 333 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 40,602 photos, 5,033 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 408,717 photos, 105,410 members
- a day in the life of 4 November 279 photos, 295 members
- The shots you missed!-The best of the worst! 5 photos, 8 members
- NATURE IN PURE STATE (POST AND COMENT 2) 50,298 photos, 2,098 members
- Oh, Canada 13,620 photos, 219 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 504,599 photos, 40,648 members
- Canada from Sea to Sea 444,303 photos, 10,418 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 91,764 photos, 9,874 members
- Field Guide: Mammals of North America 4,042 photos, 225 members
- Best of Squirrels 8,487 photos, 2,385 members
- squirrels 77,624 photos, 10,445 members
- Cats Cats Cats 449,826 photos, 28,597 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 73,341 photos, 1,213 members
- Northwest Birders 31,395 photos, 378 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L & (IS) USM 122,616 photos, 10,165 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 35,160 photos, 2,730 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 87,309 photos, 9,087 members
- Darting Dragonflies 2,974 photos, 210 members
- "Quality Only" Bird Club 13,726 photos, 1,721 members
- Views: 100 1,235,146 photos, 32,159 members
- CBC Radio 3 66,066 photos, 1,723 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) 395,640 photos, 25,590 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 13,067 photos, 1,624 members
- Birding Photography: Gear and Places 199 photos, 138 members
- Sniper Club 3,401 photos, 117 members
frosty_white_raven doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Wolf Read
- June 2009
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- frosty_white_raven's RebBubble site