I have looked at many thousands of photos on Flickr, and have had the joy of seeing numerous beautiful compositions. Thanks to all for sharing so many interesting views.
I am a PhD student at the University of British Columbia in the forest sciences. I also have a strong interest in writing, illustration and photography, with professional publications in all three of these areas. I have had several stories and scores of illustrations published in the magazine Analog Science Fiction and Fact. Recent photo credits include a number of images in the 2009 book Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass.
Photography for me is first a means of documenting the world in which I live, and second an art. I do not believe that every photo needs to meet a specific set of artistic or technical criteria to be interesting. In fact one thought that I tend to work by is, “There is only one rule in art: That there are no rules save the limitations you put on yourself (and, of course, those imposed by physical reality).” Also, a composition is a set of compromises. No single image can be “perfect” in the sense of having every variable exactly the way they are desired to be. Something akin to “perfect”, or “beauty”, may be found in the balance and tension between opposing forces in the composition.
Among the many subjects that I photograph, I especially enjoy capturing images of weather, landscapes, avians, arthropods and botanical specimens. I have a particular fondness for black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees, as well as corvids, and spend a fair amount of my photographic effort on these birds. Dragonflies, ants and a host of Pacific Coast vegetation are also under the gaze of my lens quite frequently.
Sometimes I approach photography from a very artistic sense. At these times, the subject does not matter.
Thanks much for viewing. All my photographs are copyrighted. Please respect copyright law. I am open to sharing my images, especially for educational purposes--please just ask. Quality prints of these images are also for sale. Cards, framed prints, posters and calendars of many of the images in my photostream (plus more) are for sale on RedBubble (link below). Publishers and others who wish to use these photos, and/or are interested in hiring me for commissions feel free to contact me via e-mail. I can be reached at (spam-protected e-mail): [wolfread]_at _ mac[dot]com.
Thank you much for visiting my photostream.
- UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day 34,427 photos, 952 members
- Beautiful Birds 160,382 photos, 4,298 members
- Hard to Duplicate (Post 1, Award 3) 5,656 photos, 630 members
- Canon EOS 60D 129,282 photos, 3,982 members
- Amazing Weather (Skies, Nature, Places) 28,267 photos, 1,225 members
- 60D Nature Photography 9,004 photos, 396 members
- Great Photography, in Marc's opinion 242 photos, 1,127 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 78,529 photos, 3,643 members
- Transportation 156,532 photos, 1,087 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 995,573 photos, 49,598 members
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II 251,466 photos, 18,992 members
- This Museum Called Canada 5,861 photos, 113 members
- Beautiful B. C. 7,455 photos, 159 members
- Dragonfly & Damselfly Moments 42,292 photos, 4,213 members
- Vancouver Sights 1,400 photos, 64 members
- Vancouver Transit 17,410 photos, 859 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 357,967 photos, 12,235 members
- Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival 780 photos, 113 members
- Nature's Beautiful Photography - COLOR ONLY - INVITE ONLY P1 - 31,492 photos, 2,495 members
- Documenting the Human Life 17,351 photos, 408 members
- Flickr Hacks 444 photos, 18,507 members
- Birds Photos 1,343,187 photos, 53,478 members
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM 10,947 photos, 852 members
- Vancouver,Vancouver 4,779 photos, 181 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 40,749 photos, 4,984 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 427,476 photos, 103,575 members
- a day in the life of 4 November 292 photos, 305 members
- The shots you missed!-The best of the worst! 6 photos, 9 members
- NATURE IN PURE STATE (POST AND COMENT 2) 29,204 photos, 1,498 members
- Oh, Canada 9,078 photos, 175 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 412,568 photos, 39,427 members
- Canada from Sea to Sea 266,190 photos, 7,919 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 84,972 photos, 9,914 members
- Animal Planet 693,835 photos, 58,443 members
- Field Guide: Mammals of North America 1,835 photos, 141 members
- Best of Squirrels 6,465 photos, 2,075 members
- squirrels 67,854 photos, 9,840 members
- Cats Cats Cats 372,827 photos, 25,837 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 41,966 photos, 956 members
- Northwest Birders 15,925 photos, 272 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L & (IS) USM 90,361 photos, 8,056 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 10,898 photos, 2,015 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES (2/day) 68,548 photos, 8,288 members
- Darting Dragonflies 1,360 photos, 171 members
- "Quality Only" Bird Club 12,298 photos, 1,496 members
- Views: 100 710,391 photos, 22,339 members
- CBC Radio 3 62,774 photos, 1,755 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) 340,948 photos, 24,177 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 11,717 photos, 1,538 members
- Birding Photography: Gear and Places 179 photos, 48 members
frosty_white_raven doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Wolf Read
- June 2009
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- frosty_white_raven's RebBubble site