I have looked at many thousands of photos on Flickr, and have had the joy of seeing numerous beautiful compositions. Thanks to all for sharing so many interesting views.
I have a PhD from the University of British Columbia in the forest sciences. My dissertation (available for download from the UBC Library cIRcle Archive) involved the climatology and meteorology of windstorms in southwest BC and associated tree-related power outages. I also have a strong interest in writing, illustration and photography, with professional publications in all three of these areas. I have had several stories and scores of illustrations published in the magazine Analog Science Fiction and Fact. Recent photo credits include a number of images in the 2009 book Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass.
Photography for me is first a means of documenting the world in which I live, and second an art. I do not believe that every photo needs to meet a specific set of artistic or technical criteria to be interesting. In fact one thought that I tend to work by is, “There is only one rule in art: That there are no rules save the limitations you put on yourself (and, of course, those imposed by physical reality).” Also, a composition is a set of compromises. No single image can be “perfect” in the sense of having every variable exactly the way they are desired to be. Something akin to “perfect”, or “beauty”, may be found in the balance and tension between opposing forces in the composition.
Among the many subjects that I photograph, I especially enjoy capturing images of weather, landscapes, avians, arthropods and botanical specimens. I have a particular fondness for black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees, as well as corvids, and spend a fair amount of my photographic effort on these birds. Dragonflies, ants and a host of Pacific Coast vegetation are also under the gaze of my lens quite frequently.
Sometimes I approach photography from a very artistic sense. At these times, the subject does not matter.
Thanks much for viewing. All my photographs are copyrighted. Please respect copyright law. I am open to sharing my images, especially for educational purposes--please just ask. Quality prints of these images are also for sale. Cards, framed prints, posters and calendars of many of the images in my photostream (plus more) are for sale on RedBubble (link below). Publishers and others who wish to use these photos, and/or are interested in hiring me for commissions feel free to contact me via e-mail. I can be reached at (spam-protected e-mail): [wolfread]_at _ mac[dot]com.
Thank you much for visiting my photostream.
- UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day 49,332 photos, 1,034 members
- Beautiful Birds 232,277 photos, 4,751 members
- Hard to Duplicate (Post 1, Award 3) 6,608 photos, 621 members
- Canon EOS 60D 215,737 photos, 5,641 members
- Amazing Weather (Skies, Nature, Places) 53,904 photos, 1,674 members
- 60D Nature Photography 14,913 photos, 514 members
- Great Photography, in Marc's opinion 236 photos, 1,114 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 86,117 photos, 3,848 members
- Transportation 390,429 photos, 2,009 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 1,311,396 photos, 60,904 members
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II 302,085 photos, 21,742 members
- This Museum Called Canada 9,277 photos, 135 members
- Beautiful B. C. 11,365 photos, 215 members
- Dragonfly & Damselfly Moments 63,881 photos, 5,719 members
- Vancouver Sights 2,645 photos, 114 members
- Vancouver Transit 24,638 photos, 882 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 406,668 photos, 12,521 members
- Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival 1,014 photos, 123 members
- *Nature's Beautiful Photography- color only, P1-C1 77,984 photos, 4,842 members
- Documenting the Human Life 43,334 photos, 696 members
- Flickr Hacks 424 photos, 21,868 members
- Birds Photos 2,299,892 photos, 76,114 members
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM 17,958 photos, 1,015 members
- Vancouver,Vancouver 10,455 photos, 317 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 40,719 photos, 5,011 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 409,614 photos, 105,632 members
- a day in the life of 4 November 279 photos, 296 members
- The shots you missed!-The best of the worst! 5 photos, 8 members
- NATURE IN PURE STATE (POST AND COMENT 2) 48,134 photos, 2,068 members
- Oh, Canada 13,416 photos, 215 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 498,532 photos, 40,570 members
- Canada from Sea to Sea 430,703 photos, 10,285 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 91,492 photos, 9,881 members
- Animal Planet 949,669 photos, 72,415 members
- Field Guide: Mammals of North America 3,783 photos, 218 members
- Best of Squirrels 8,262 photos, 2,345 members
- squirrels 76,704 photos, 10,385 members
- Cats Cats Cats 445,570 photos, 28,472 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 70,718 photos, 1,184 members
- Northwest Birders 29,797 photos, 372 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L & (IS) USM 121,376 photos, 10,009 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 32,676 photos, 2,711 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 87,294 photos, 9,042 members
- Darting Dragonflies 2,814 photos, 206 members
- "Quality Only" Bird Club 13,741 photos, 1,711 members
- Views: 100 1,205,743 photos, 31,811 members
- CBC Radio 3 65,816 photos, 1,730 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) 390,160 photos, 25,461 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 13,085 photos, 1,626 members
- Birding Photography: Gear and Places 198 photos, 131 members
frosty_white_raven doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Wolf Read, PhD
- June 2009
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- frosty_white_raven's RebBubble site