Contact: Don LaVange firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Something about my idea about photography
I've always been facinated. My first camera was a Nikkorex with a fixed (screwed) lens I got in a pawn shop. My father bought me an AE-1 when I turned 21. I lost it in my 30's and returned to photography with a half-hearted attempt when I bought a Ricoh-XRP. I wanted that match needle exposure indicator, I thought the FTb the highest design.
But, film... and processing. And, I'm a klutz in the darkroom, with messy chemicals and my fat fingering and forgetting.
When digital came, it was a 2.2 megapixel toshiba, followed by a Nikon Coopix 5700, followed by a D-70, and currently a D-200. I use Photoshop CS3, and Lightroom 1.3. I process the bulk in Lightroom and the few in CS3.
For lenses, I tend to use the 50 mm and the 70-300 zoom. I've given the d70 and the kit lens away, and have a 110 macro that I never use now that I have the bigger zoom.
I dislike set shots. If you see something of mine that looks set up, I'm either in "learning" mode, where it's essential to get it through my thick head, or I'm being coerced by loved ones.
I like people, doing what they do. If wish I knew how to put people at ease and do this all the time. I try to take every shot where I'm passing and suddenly I see something that is beautiful, the way the light works, the way the scene jumps at me. I tend to think of "it" as the photograph, that image I perceive, and work to "get" it.
I think it is interesting that some of my favorite images were taken accidently, or a long time ago and with very bad equipment.
So, I'm trying.
I do documentary, photojournalistic, and "street" style. My streets are "suburban".
I have three flickr accounts that I maintain:
(the last one is where I post images I take for one part of my work).
- Nikon D800/E, D810 & D850 Users Group 658,474 photos, 16,655 members
- ★★ Nikon D800 - Nikon D800E - Images 222,927 photos, 4,668 members
- Black and White Wednesday 3,220 photos, 396 members
- Tinderbox Software 90 photos, 68 members
- Drink this 2,844 photos, 430 members
- Modest Needs 47 photos, 43 members
- Magnificent Seven 2010 8,740 photos, 102 members
- GR8! 397 photos, 14 members
- Martini Martini Martini!!! 365 photos, 157 members
- Topaz Software 180,967 photos, 6,504 members
- Provo Photography Meetup Group 1,939 photos, 86 members
- July 18th 2009, Scott Kelby's 2nd Annual Worldwide Photo Walk 9,904 photos, 3,235 members
- Lightroom Preset Extractor 4,903 photos, 1,523 members
- HRC Salt Lake City, Utah 15 photos, 5 members
- Sunday Beer Club 183 photos, 24 members
- Lightroom Showcase 91,599 photos, 3,399 members
- Macros Amaze Me 610 photos, 40 members
- GMOFreefoodworld~sansOGM~Gentechnikfrei~NoQuieroTRANSGÉNICOS 5,994 photos, 703 members
- Human Rights 14,295 photos, 1,345 members
- NRICC 1,529 photos, 34 members
- Blackstone Valley Barns 637 photos, 11 members
- Martini O'Clock 248 photos, 71 members
- Project 365! 479,167 photos, 6,619 members
- Project 365 1,937,249 photos, 30,954 members
- Topaz Adjust 98,511 photos, 3,019 members
- Photo A Day 2009 13,245 photos, 105 members
- 52 Weeks of self portraits (1 a week) 5,140 photos, 462 members
- Rockland, MA 02370 157 photos, 8 members
- Gingerbread House Showcase 1,194 photos, 505 members
- Cloudporn 274,764 photos, 44,366 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Drank That!!! 8,371 photos, 1,311 members
- FashionPhotographyBlog.com 82,302 photos, 15,221 members
- My Day, Yesterday 1,137 photos, 749 members
- Adobe Lightroom 2 1,263 photos, 139 members
- Adobe Lightroom 53,077 photos, 26,635 members
- Love Of The Father 462 photos, 232 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 9,950 photos, 1,825 members
- Pug Videos 60 photos, 61 members
- Pug Life 14,485 photos, 1,794 members
- Must Love Pugs 7,702 photos, 808 members
- *SMILING PUG* 6,212 photos, 637 members
- New England Harbors 766 photos, 59 members
- Lavender (THE PLANT - NOT THE COLOUR) 5,676 photos, 1,424 members
- American Fork 146 photos, 25 members
- Olde Towne Utah 143 photos, 14 members
- FREE EARTH - FREE PEOPLE © 202,732 photos, 5,915 members
- Beer Around the World 24,359 photos, 1,948 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 61,856 photos, 5,981 members
- Utah Shows 1,069 photos, 118 members
- 90-Second Stories 35 photos, 439 members
"A man is lucky to have at least one Son and Don is mine. He has a remarkable ability to use our common language with impact. A keen sense of the aesthetic and an even keener sense of the differences between right and wrong in the most global sense.
Watch his images carefully, because there is usually more there to luxuriate in than you would see in a quick glance.
A good Son! A good man!"
January 1st, 2006
kitchen Alchemist says:
"Wickenden is a scholar an artist, a philosopher, a mystic and, an excellent cook. He is a 21 century renaissance man."
October 4th, 2005
"Wickenden is one very talented photographer. Almost all of his photographs are totally raw.....rarely set up, and I think this shows how much talent he really has. Someday I will cover the walls of my home in his pictures...and they keep getting better!"
September 19th, 2005
- Don LaVange
- July 2005
- Uxbridge, MA
- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Senior Software Quality Engineer