Contact: Don LaVange email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Something about my idea about photography
I've always been facinated. My first camera was a Nikkorex with a fixed (screwed) lens I got in a pawn shop. My father bought me an AE-1 when I turned 21. I lost it in my 30's and returned to photography with a half-hearted attempt when I bought a Ricoh-XRP. I wanted that match needle exposure indicator, I thought the FTb the highest design.
But, film... and processing. And, I'm a klutz in the darkroom, with messy chemicals and my fat fingering and forgetting.
When digital came, it was a 2.2 megapixel toshiba, followed by a Nikon Coopix 5700, followed by a D-70, and currently a D-200. I use Photoshop CS3, and Lightroom 1.3. I process the bulk in Lightroom and the few in CS3.
For lenses, I tend to use the 50 mm and the 70-300 zoom. I've given the d70 and the kit lens away, and have a 110 macro that I never use now that I have the bigger zoom.
I dislike set shots. If you see something of mine that looks set up, I'm either in "learning" mode, where it's essential to get it through my thick head, or I'm being coerced by loved ones.
I like people, doing what they do. If wish I knew how to put people at ease and do this all the time. I try to take every shot where I'm passing and suddenly I see something that is beautiful, the way the light works, the way the scene jumps at me. I tend to think of "it" as the photograph, that image I perceive, and work to "get" it.
I think it is interesting that some of my favorite images were taken accidently, or a long time ago and with very bad equipment.
So, I'm trying.
I do documentary, photojournalistic, and "street" style. My streets are "suburban".
I have three flickr accounts that I maintain:
(the last one is where I post images I take for one part of my work).
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 528,191 photos, 15,524 members
- ★★ Nikon D800 - Nikon D800E - Images 179,615 photos, 4,145 members
- Black and White Wednesday 2,429 photos, 350 members
- Tinderbox Software 90 photos, 72 members
- Drink this 2,621 photos, 387 members
- Modest Needs 47 photos, 44 members
- Magnificent Seven 2010 8,789 photos, 105 members
- GR8! 398 photos, 14 members
- Martini Martini Martini!!! 452 photos, 155 members
- Topaz Software 163,461 photos, 6,473 members
- Provo Photography Meetup Group 1,940 photos, 87 members
- July 18th 2009, Scott Kelby's 2nd Annual Worldwide Photo Walk 10,053 photos, 3,296 members
- Lightroom Preset Extractor 4,517 photos, 1,524 members
- HRC Salt Lake City, Utah 15 photos, 5 members
- Sunday Beer Club 183 photos, 25 members
- Lightroom Showcase 67,194 photos, 3,028 members
- Macros Amaze Me 576 photos, 40 members
- GMOFreefoodworld~sansOGM~Gentechnikfrei~NoQuieroTRANSGÉNICOS 5,808 photos, 665 members
- Human Rights 12,784 photos, 1,299 members
- NRICC 1,529 photos, 34 members
- Blackstone Valley Barns 639 photos, 12 members
- Martini O'Clock 356 photos, 62 members
- Project 365! 469,348 photos, 6,622 members
- Project 365 1,886,673 photos, 30,716 members
- Topaz Adjust 91,758 photos, 3,052 members
- Photo A Day 2009 13,391 photos, 107 members
- 52 Weeks of self portraits (1 a week) 5,126 photos, 467 members
- Rockland, MA 02370 157 photos, 8 members
- Gingerbread House Showcase 1,202 photos, 512 members
- Cloudporn 278,558 photos, 42,090 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Drank That!!! 8,235 photos, 1,307 members
- FashionPhotographyBlog.com 81,434 photos, 15,357 members
- My Day, Yesterday 645 photos, 765 members
- Adobe Lightroom 2 1,236 photos, 137 members
- Adobe Lightroom 38,770 photos, 26,044 members
- Love Of The Father 426 photos, 231 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 9,579 photos, 1,775 members
- Pug Videos 56 photos, 54 members
- Pug Life 13,691 photos, 1,696 members
- Must Love Pugs 7,466 photos, 769 members
- *SMILING PUG* 6,030 photos, 632 members
- New England Harbors 737 photos, 61 members
- Lavender (THE PLANT - NOT THE COLOUR) 5,225 photos, 1,367 members
- American Fork 255 photos, 25 members
- Olde Towne Utah 141 photos, 14 members
- FREE EARTH - FREE PEOPLE © 175,656 photos, 5,890 members
- Beer Around the World 20,579 photos, 1,794 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 57,763 photos, 5,792 members
- Utah Shows 1,080 photos, 117 members
- 90-Second Stories 36 photos, 449 members
"A man is lucky to have at least one Son and Don is mine. He has a remarkable ability to use our common language with impact. A keen sense of the aesthetic and an even keener sense of the differences between right and wrong in the most global sense.
Watch his images carefully, because there is usually more there to luxuriate in than you would see in a quick glance.
A good Son! A good man!"
January 1st, 2006
kitchen Alchemist says:
"Wickenden is a scholar an artist, a philosopher, a mystic and, an excellent cook. He is a 21 century renaissance man."
October 4th, 2005
"Wickenden is one very talented photographer. Almost all of his photographs are totally raw.....rarely set up, and I think this shows how much talent he really has. Someday I will cover the walls of my home in his pictures...and they keep getting better!"
September 19th, 2005
- Don LaVange
- July 2005
- Uxbridge, MA
- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Senior Software Quality Engineer