Contact: Don LaVange email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Something about my idea about photography
I've always been facinated. My first camera was a Nikkorex with a fixed (screwed) lens I got in a pawn shop. My father bought me an AE-1 when I turned 21. I lost it in my 30's and returned to photography with a half-hearted attempt when I bought a Ricoh-XRP. I wanted that match needle exposure indicator, I thought the FTb the highest design.
But, film... and processing. And, I'm a klutz in the darkroom, with messy chemicals and my fat fingering and forgetting.
When digital came, it was a 2.2 megapixel toshiba, followed by a Nikon Coopix 5700, followed by a D-70, and currently a D-200. I use Photoshop CS3, and Lightroom 1.3. I process the bulk in Lightroom and the few in CS3.
For lenses, I tend to use the 50 mm and the 70-300 zoom. I've given the d70 and the kit lens away, and have a 110 macro that I never use now that I have the bigger zoom.
I dislike set shots. If you see something of mine that looks set up, I'm either in "learning" mode, where it's essential to get it through my thick head, or I'm being coerced by loved ones.
I like people, doing what they do. If wish I knew how to put people at ease and do this all the time. I try to take every shot where I'm passing and suddenly I see something that is beautiful, the way the light works, the way the scene jumps at me. I tend to think of "it" as the photograph, that image I perceive, and work to "get" it.
I think it is interesting that some of my favorite images were taken accidently, or a long time ago and with very bad equipment.
So, I'm trying.
I do documentary, photojournalistic, and "street" style. My streets are "suburban".
I have three flickr accounts that I maintain:
(the last one is where I post images I take for one part of my work).
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 345,241 photos, 13,599 members
- ★★ Nikon D800 - Nikon D800E - Images 113,028 photos, 3,272 members
- Black and White Wednesday 1,474 photos, 250 members
- Tinderbox Software 90 photos, 70 members
- Drink this 2,249 photos, 318 members
- Modest Needs 47 photos, 44 members
- Magnificent Seven 2010 8,938 photos, 108 members
- GR8! 395 photos, 14 members
- Martini Martini Martini!!! 445 photos, 150 members
- Topaz Software 132,265 photos, 6,186 members
- Provo Photography Meetup Group 1,959 photos, 87 members
- July 18th 2009, Scott Kelby's 2nd Annual Worldwide Photo Walk 10,129 photos, 3,349 members
- Lightroom Preset Extractor 3,425 photos, 1,473 members
- HRC Salt Lake City, Utah 15 photos, 5 members
- Sunday Beer Club 183 photos, 26 members
- Lightroom Showcase 37,495 photos, 2,311 members
- Macros Amaze Me 413 photos, 34 members
- GMOFreefoodworld~sansOGM~Gentechnikfrei~NoQuieroTRANSGÉNICOS 5,344 photos, 624 members
- Human Rights 10,598 photos, 1,255 members
- NRICC 1,529 photos, 34 members
- Blackstone Valley Barns 648 photos, 11 members
- Martini O'Clock 342 photos, 55 members
- Project 365! 454,069 photos, 6,565 members
- Project 365 1,769,389 photos, 29,517 members
- Topaz Adjust 76,998 photos, 3,026 members
- Photo A Day 2009 13,799 photos, 109 members
- 52 Weeks of self portraits (1 a week) 5,034 photos, 459 members
- Rockland, MA 02370 157 photos, 8 members
- Gingerbread House Showcase 1,224 photos, 514 members
- Cloudporn 214,484 photos, 31,108 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Drank That!!! 8,043 photos, 1,269 members
- FashionPhotographyBlog.com 78,866 photos, 15,327 members
- My Day, Yesterday 214 photos, 767 members
- Adobe Lightroom 2 1,209 photos, 132 members
- Adobe Lightroom 27,404 photos, 24,185 members
- Love Of The Father 418 photos, 225 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 8,760 photos, 1,644 members
- Pug Videos 48 photos, 37 members
- Pug Life 12,566 photos, 1,494 members
- Must Love Pugs 7,223 photos, 719 members
- *SMILING PUG* 5,901 photos, 624 members
- New England Harbors 602 photos, 50 members
- Lavender (THE PLANT - NOT THE COLOUR) 4,322 photos, 1,191 members
- American Fork 257 photos, 25 members
- Olde Towne Utah 138 photos, 13 members
- FREE EARTH - FREE PEOPLE © 132,908 photos, 5,755 members
- Beer Around the World 16,607 photos, 1,488 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 50,210 photos, 5,249 members
- Utah Shows 1,074 photos, 112 members
- 90-Second Stories 36 photos, 456 members
"A man is lucky to have at least one Son and Don is mine. He has a remarkable ability to use our common language with impact. A keen sense of the aesthetic and an even keener sense of the differences between right and wrong in the most global sense.
Watch his images carefully, because there is usually more there to luxuriate in than you would see in a quick glance.
A good Son! A good man!"
January 1st, 2006
kitchen Alchemist says:
"Wickenden is a scholar an artist, a philosopher, a mystic and, an excellent cook. He is a 21 century renaissance man."
October 4th, 2005
"Wickenden is one very talented photographer. Almost all of his photographs are totally raw.....rarely set up, and I think this shows how much talent he really has. Someday I will cover the walls of my home in his pictures...and they keep getting better!"
September 19th, 2005
- Don LaVange
- July 2005
- Uxbridge, MA
- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Senior Software Quality Engineer