Just looking for a flavour of my collection? Here are some of what other users deem to be my best ones.
What I do
By day ... My passions lie in cultural collections and data, and delivering high quality digital stuff - websites, mobile apps etc. Having just started working for the Europeana project, with an office at the British Library and fortnightly trips to The Hague (and elsewhere) I couldn't have found a better place to work! Before that I managed the website development team at Kew Gardens, sitting behind a computer, in an office, but in a place with flowers, beautiful landscapes, and more heritage than you can possibly imagine.
In my own time... I collect vintage photographs, and share them on Flickr for all to see, to enjoy, and hopefully to identify. I also share other people's photos and lots of hopefully interesting stuff via @PhotosOfThePast on Twitter.
What I do on Flickr
In any spare time I might have left I love sharing my photographic 'finds' and participating in the whole vintage photograph community on Flickr and I run several groups, of which the most notable are ...
Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory]
If you're going to go anywhere, go here. It's a 'meta-group' with a listing of all the vintage photograph groups I have ever encountered on Flickr, arranged by categories. Something for everyone!
Geotagged : Vintage photographs
A single place in which to find, and map, all the geotagged vintage images on Flickr. Help to create a historic photographic map of the world.
Vintage Dated Photographs
A single place in which we can create a timeline of vintage photographs and photography. The group uniquely combines images from personal collectors through to major instituional collections in one place.
- See the interactive timeline from the Vintage Dated Photographs group
- I've also created a timeline of all pre-1900 Flickr Commons images
What's that picture?
A place to unravel mysteries. I have a personal fascination for mystery vintage photographs, and if you have any of your own I would encourage you to add them to this group. Who knows, if you get them identified you can then move them on to the Astonishing Power of Flickr group, where you can see some great examples of Flickr photos that have been located, dated, named, and all sorts of other information discovered about them!
I also take my own photographs, a few of which you'll find scattered in amongst the vintage stuff!
Get detailled Flickr stats with Statsr.net
- Ealing History 35 photos, 2 members
- Camera-wiki.org 92,338 photos, 2,560 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 169,966 photos, 6,020 members
- London Vintage Postcards 3,504 photos, 153 members
- Adobe Lightroom 57,250 photos, 26,732 members
- All Photos of World War I 12,538 photos, 660 members
- 100 Years: The Great War, 1914- 1918 | 2014-2018 14,846 photos, 232 members
- Best 5000 Free Pictures 5,441 photos, 1,067 members
- House-Proud (Vintage Photographs) 188 photos, 30 members
- ALL CHURCH EXTERIORS 58,409 photos, 1,223 members
- Beckenham, London 2,641 photos, 215 members
- Vintage Photographs of Named Large Country Houses (UK) 160 photos, 25 members
- OLD PHOTOS OF BEACH DONKEYS 52 photos, 10 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 1,259 photos, 55 members
- Vintage Nuns 361 photos, 41 members
- Life's a Beach (vintage photos) 1,578 photos, 55 members
- W W Winter, Derby 15 photos, 3 members
- Head in the hole 2,232 photos, 111 members
- chdk 7,770 photos, 1,175 members
- Outdoor CDVs 294 photos, 78 members
- Zeppelin 369 photos, 84 members
- Vintage Museum Pictures (pre 1945) 10 photos, 1 member
- Vintage Museum Interiors 2 photos, 1 member
- Eastway Cycle Circut 128 photos, 7 members
- Lacock Abbey and village, home of William Henry Fox Talbot 391 photos, 41 members
- Statsr 23 photos, 244 members
- CLASSIC TIME TRIAL BICYCLES & CLASSIC STEEL TRACK BIKES 1,593 photos, 371 members
- My Cycling Heritage 31 photos, 4 members
- Escaleras/Stairs 64,611 photos, 8,513 members
- Generations of Style 13 photos, 21 members
- Johnstone & O'Shannessy & Co, Melbourne. Mid 1860's-1905 56 photos, 17 members
- Vintage Photos of Unidentified Large Country Houses (UK) 50 photos, 36 members
- Location Hunters 2,172 photos, 152 members
- The Portal of Peripatetic Pants. 115 photos, 48 members
- Wildscreen Arkive 149,262 photos, 1,638 members
- Your Faces of the First World War 6,449 photos, 500 members
- Dead Teddies 253 photos, 122 members
- Hello Little Fella! 1,481 photos, 395 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,670 photos, 6,111 members
- London Cycle Hire Scheme 522 photos, 129 members
- Boris Bikes 306 photos, 62 members
- flickrock.com 945 photos, 163 members
- The lady and the plane 269 photos, 15 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,798 photos, 1,822 members
- Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bicycles 57,675 photos, 6,311 members
- Science, Technology, History 77,208 photos, 1,733 members
- canon film photography 232,591 photos, 12,055 members
- 19th Century Canadian Photographs 536 photos, 28 members
- Outside the Studio 1,920 photos, 64 members
- Contemporary Daguerreotypes 254 photos, 150 members
- 1930s bathers 13 photos
- Paper Moon 1 photo
- Flickr Commons New Year's Eve 15 photos
- My favourite Flickr Commons images 6 photos
- The Vintage Photo Shoebox Collection 5 photos
- Christmas Greetings 6 photos
- Vintage Fathers and Sons 11 photos
- My Vintage Favourites 2010 14 photos
- On our doorstep 9 photos
- Vintage bicycles 11 photos
whatsthatpicture doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Photos of the Past
- June 2006
- Hanwell, London, UK
- I am:
- flickr [at] whatsthatpicture.com