Just looking for a flavour of my collection? Here are some of what other users deem to be my best ones.
What I do
By day ... My passions lie in cultural collections and data, and delivering high quality digital stuff - websites, mobile apps etc. Having just started working for the Europeana project, with an office at the British Library and fortnightly trips to The Hague (and elsewhere) I couldn't have found a better place to work! Before that I managed the website development team at Kew Gardens, sitting behind a computer, in an office, but in a place with flowers, beautiful landscapes, and more heritage than you can possibly imagine.
In my own time... I collect vintage photographs, and share them on Flickr for all to see, to enjoy, and hopefully to identify. I also share other people's photos and lots of hopefully interesting stuff via @PhotosOfThePast on Twitter.
What I do on Flickr
In any spare time I might have left I love sharing my photographic 'finds' and participating in the whole vintage photograph community on Flickr and I run several groups, of which the most notable are ...
Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory]
If you're going to go anywhere, go here. It's a 'meta-group' with a listing of all the vintage photograph groups I have ever encountered on Flickr, arranged by categories. Something for everyone!
Geotagged : Vintage photographs
A single place in which to find, and map, all the geotagged vintage images on Flickr. Help to create a historic photographic map of the world.
Vintage Dated Photographs
A single place in which we can create a timeline of vintage photographs and photography. The group uniquely combines images from personal collectors through to major instituional collections in one place.
- See the interactive timeline from the Vintage Dated Photographs group
- I've also created a timeline of all pre-1900 Flickr Commons images
What's that picture?
A place to unravel mysteries. I have a personal fascination for mystery vintage photographs, and if you have any of your own I would encourage you to add them to this group. Who knows, if you get them identified you can then move them on to the Astonishing Power of Flickr group, where you can see some great examples of Flickr photos that have been located, dated, named, and all sorts of other information discovered about them!
I also take my own photographs, a few of which you'll find scattered in amongst the vintage stuff!
Get detailled Flickr stats with Statsr.net
Photos of whatsthatpicture (12)
- London Vintage Postcards 1,808 photos, 97 members
- Adobe Lightroom 38,688 photos, 26,033 members
- All Photos of World War I 12,098 photos, 532 members
- 100 Years: The Great War, 1914- 1918 | 2014-2018 3,414 photos, 174 members
- Best 5000 Free Pictures 5,312 photos, 929 members
- House-Proud (Vintage Photographs) 117 photos, 24 members
- CHURCHES 2 28,461 photos, 830 members
- Beckenham, London 2,113 photos, 204 members
- Vintage Photographs of Named Large Country Houses (UK) 143 photos, 25 members
- OLD PHOTOS OF BEACH DONKEYS 43 photos, 6 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 803 photos, 36 members
- Vintage Nuns 970 photos, 33 members
- Life's a Beach (vintage photos) 1,089 photos, 39 members
- W W Winter, Derby 15 photos, 3 members
- Head in the hole 2,149 photos, 102 members
- chdk 7,519 photos, 1,183 members
- Zeppelin 337 photos, 76 members
- Vintage Museum Pictures (pre 1945) 10 photos, 1 member
- Vintage Museum Interiors 2 photos, 1 member
- Eastway Cycle Circut 128 photos, 7 members
- Lacock Abbey and village, home of William Henry Fox Talbot 402 photos, 33 members
- Statsr 23 photos, 236 members
- CLASSIC TIME TRIAL BICYCLES & CLASSIC STEEL TRACK BIKES 1,471 photos, 370 members
- My Cycling Heritage 31 photos, 5 members
- Escaleras/Stairs 56,527 photos, 8,280 members
- Generations of Style 13 photos, 22 members
- Johnstone & O'Shannessy & Co, Melbourne. Mid 1860's-1905 55 photos, 13 members
- Vintage Photos of Unidentified Large Country Houses (UK) 57 photos, 32 members
- Location Hunters 1,714 photos, 128 members
- The Portal of Peripatetic Pants. 124 photos, 48 members
- Wildscreen Arkive - images of life on Earth 107,823 photos, 1,575 members
- Your Faces of the First World War 3,889 photos, 466 members
- Dead Teddies 260 photos, 115 members
- Hello Little Fella! 1,468 photos, 406 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,823 photos, 6,420 members
- London Cycle Hire Scheme 512 photos, 131 members
- Boris Bikes 301 photos, 63 members
- flickrock.com 779 photos, 165 members
- The lady and the plane 173 photos, 12 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,650 photos, 1,834 members
- Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bicycles 57,346 photos, 6,407 members
- Science, Technology, History 58,079 photos, 1,548 members
- canon film photography 205,997 photos, 11,195 members
- 19th Century Canadian Photographs 535 photos, 23 members
- Outside the Studio 1,704 photos, 55 members
- Contemporary Daguerreotypes 250 photos, 146 members
- MuseumNext Barcelona 314 photos, 13 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,826,924 photos, 106,623 members
- Preston Guild (past and present) 5,621 photos, 95 members
- The Rule Of Thirds Showcase 6,207 photos, 638 members
whatsthatpicture doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- James Morley
- June 2006
- Hanwell, London, UK
- I am:
- flickr [at] whatsthatpicture.com