Just looking for a flavour of my collection? Here are some of what other users deem to be my best ones.
What I do
By day ... My passions lie in cultural collections and data, and delivering high quality digital stuff - websites, mobile apps etc. Having just started working for the Europeana project, with an office at the British Library and fortnightly trips to The Hague (and elsewhere) I couldn't have found a better place to work! Before that I managed the website development team at Kew Gardens, sitting behind a computer, in an office, but in a place with flowers, beautiful landscapes, and more heritage than you can possibly imagine.
In my own time... I collect vintage photographs, and share them on Flickr for all to see, to enjoy, and hopefully to identify. I also share other people's photos and lots of hopefully interesting stuff via @PhotosOfThePast on Twitter.
What I do on Flickr
In any spare time I might have left I love sharing my photographic 'finds' and participating in the whole vintage photograph community on Flickr and I run several groups, of which the most notable are ...
Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory]
If you're going to go anywhere, go here. It's a 'meta-group' with a listing of all the vintage photograph groups I have ever encountered on Flickr, arranged by categories. Something for everyone!
Geotagged : Vintage photographs
A single place in which to find, and map, all the geotagged vintage images on Flickr. Help to create a historic photographic map of the world.
Vintage Dated Photographs
A single place in which we can create a timeline of vintage photographs and photography. The group uniquely combines images from personal collectors through to major instituional collections in one place.
- See the interactive timeline from the Vintage Dated Photographs group
- I've also created a timeline of all pre-1900 Flickr Commons images
What's that picture?
A place to unravel mysteries. I have a personal fascination for mystery vintage photographs, and if you have any of your own I would encourage you to add them to this group. Who knows, if you get them identified you can then move them on to the Astonishing Power of Flickr group, where you can see some great examples of Flickr photos that have been located, dated, named, and all sorts of other information discovered about them!
I also take my own photographs, a few of which you'll find scattered in amongst the vintage stuff!
Get detailled Flickr stats with Statsr.net
Photos of whatsthatpicture (12)
- London Vintage Postcards 2,190 photos, 109 members
- Adobe Lightroom 40,241 photos, 26,109 members
- All Photos of World War I 12,253 photos, 538 members
- 100 Years: The Great War, 1914- 1918 | 2014-2018 3,839 photos, 181 members
- Best 5000 Free Pictures 5,312 photos, 947 members
- House-Proud (Vintage Photographs) 123 photos, 26 members
- CHURCHES 2 30,028 photos, 849 members
- Beckenham, London 2,209 photos, 211 members
- Vintage Photographs of Named Large Country Houses (UK) 145 photos, 25 members
- OLD PHOTOS OF BEACH DONKEYS 46 photos, 6 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 833 photos, 38 members
- Vintage Nuns 992 photos, 33 members
- Life's a Beach (vintage photos) 1,161 photos, 40 members
- W W Winter, Derby 15 photos, 3 members
- Head in the hole 2,167 photos, 104 members
- chdk 7,524 photos, 1,185 members
- Zeppelin 337 photos, 76 members
- Vintage Museum Pictures (pre 1945) 10 photos, 1 member
- Vintage Museum Interiors 2 photos, 1 member
- Eastway Cycle Circut 128 photos, 7 members
- Lacock Abbey and village, home of William Henry Fox Talbot 402 photos, 31 members
- Statsr 23 photos, 237 members
- CLASSIC TIME TRIAL BICYCLES & CLASSIC STEEL TRACK BIKES 1,462 photos, 369 members
- My Cycling Heritage 31 photos, 4 members
- Escaleras/Stairs 56,993 photos, 8,315 members
- Generations of Style 13 photos, 22 members
- Johnstone & O'Shannessy & Co, Melbourne. Mid 1860's-1905 55 photos, 13 members
- Vintage Photos of Unidentified Large Country Houses (UK) 57 photos, 32 members
- Location Hunters 1,740 photos, 130 members
- The Portal of Peripatetic Pants. 124 photos, 48 members
- Wildscreen Arkive - images of life on Earth 110,626 photos, 1,586 members
- Your Faces of the First World War 3,937 photos, 468 members
- Dead Teddies 260 photos, 115 members
- Hello Little Fella! 1,469 photos, 405 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,812 photos, 6,395 members
- London Cycle Hire Scheme 515 photos, 131 members
- Boris Bikes 301 photos, 63 members
- flickrock.com 827 photos, 170 members
- The lady and the plane 190 photos, 12 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,669 photos, 1,837 members
- Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bicycles 57,422 photos, 6,402 members
- Science, Technology, History 59,958 photos, 1,558 members
- canon film photography 207,836 photos, 11,252 members
- 19th Century Canadian Photographs 535 photos, 23 members
- Outside the Studio 1,725 photos, 55 members
- Contemporary Daguerreotypes 250 photos, 147 members
- MuseumNext Barcelona 314 photos, 13 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,968,272 photos, 107,717 members
- Preston Guild (past and present) 5,621 photos, 95 members
- The Rule Of Thirds Showcase 6,355 photos, 644 members
whatsthatpicture doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- James Morley
- June 2006
- Hanwell, London, UK
- I am:
- flickr [at] whatsthatpicture.com