I'm a professional photographer based in Vancouver, Canada.
John Goldsmith Photography | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Strange•rs | Google+
Now available, the Drop Out of Art School Photo Album:
All content, including images and writings, associated with this Flickr account is Copyright 2005-2012 John Goldsmith, All Rights Reserved. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. Please contact John Goldsmith for usage permission.
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 11 95 photos, 138 members
- NPR Look At This 149,800 photos, 6,162 members
- Foam Trip (now closed) 2,130 photos, 372 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 01 116 photos, 196 members
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 280 photos, 1,254 members
- Hardcore God Photography 803 photos, 77 members
- www.street-photographers.com 238 photos, 4,510 members
- British Columbia Film Photography 2,917 photos, 329 members
- Shoot the Street 557,517 photos, 9,374 members
- John Goldsmith 14 photos, 3 members
- consume : think : create 0 photos, 48 members
- orbis® Ring Flash 4,141 photos, 1,772 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 660 photos, 878 members
- The Sports Show: Sports Memories 75 photos, 213 members
- We don't like beach volley 283 photos, 261 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 1,040 photos, 344 members
- LSP MAGAZINE life as a street photographer 414 photos, 335 members
- Figurations de l'absence 241 photos, 179 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 575 photos, 2,736 members
- J St. 44 photos, 11 members
- The Social Landscape 28,039 photos, 962 members
- Globe and Mail Reader Submissions 49,586 photos, 5,035 members
- Postcards from America 15,392 photos, 778 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 501,268 photos, 21,280 members
- City Slickers 191 photos, 166 members
- Instruction #23 219 photos, 335 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 925 photos, 1,581 members
- Inside Vancouver 7,910 photos, 979 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 2,984 photos, 457 members
- Right Here, Right Now 3,130 photos, 135 members
- @AubadeMagazine 22,216 photos, 494 members
- Hardcore Airport Photography 46 photos, 22 members
- Cookies & Cream 1,183 photos, 3,227 members
- Street Photography Zine 1,228 photos, 323 members
- Melbourne 174,961 photos, 7,654 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 4,127 photos, 1,130 members
- around the day in eighty worlds 9,101 photos, 2,070 members
- Hardcore Room Photography 512 photos, 258 members
- FOAM MAGAZINE_TALENT_POOL ON HOLD 204 photos, 557 members
- In Camera 82 photos, 269 members
- CONTACT-SHEETS 130 photos, 91 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 61 photos, 595 members
- Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics 13,469 photos, 795 members
- Vancouver 2010 Olympic Photo Group 13,190 photos, 567 members
- The Best of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics 144 photos, 50 members
- The Editions FP&CF present: TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK #2 8 photos, 468 members
- ECO Canada Challange 136 photos, 17 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,301 members
- PLEASE EXCUSE THE MESS 4,965 photos, 372 members
- The Georgia Straight 70,487 photos, 1,081 members
worried rose says:
"If I had a time machine I'd send John back to where he belongs -- to the 1930s and 40s alongside Cartier-Bresson, Weegee, and Walker Evans. I would then go out tomorrow and look under every faded heap of Life Magazine back issues at every swap meet in Hell's Kitchen until I found someone selling an old book of John's street photos. In the end, though, I would probably just stand there repeating the same question that I already do now: "How the hell did he get away with that?""
January 17th, 2008
"John's street photography is sheer poetry, a formal mastery of composition, stunning use of shadows and above all the ability to capture ironic and distanced shots of street life in all its absurdity.
his warmth and humanism reminds me of the great Robert Doisneau.
John is a master in the making and remember where you saw him first"
August 26th, 2007
Cuauhtémoc Suárez says:
"It's been a long time that I don't visit your Flickr, but, of course it's not a surprise you still having this amazing shots, you're one of the first photographers that I see over here, and I just wanna say that you've changed my way of seeing the photography, you're such an inspiration, so i just wanna came back from here and say thank you, John, 'cause early I was so afraid about taking street pictures, but when i saw yours I think "Hey, this guy makes this thing look very easy" so you helped me big time, and i have this feelin¡ that i owe you something. so I think at least i have to tell everyone who read your testimonials about it. Again, Thank you Waxy, and keep that beautiful vision of the world."
August 10th, 2007
"John's images capture a moment within a moment in a visual poetry that is seldom seen in this current digital world of photography: each frame is thoughtfully composed with an artistic sensibility of a painter, a philosopher, dreamer.
There is an underlying mystery within the visual tempo of each picture. A fleeting look, a fraction of a second of an action before it ends, all combined to draw the viewer into the mind and eye of a true artist. Share in his magic - take the time to look at each image and step into his world."
June 4th, 2007
diddy kong says:
"Does Waxy _really_ need another testimonial? I mean, c'mon...the guy has 900+ contacts/friends. Does another person need to wax more poetic tributes to his photos? Is he _really_that_good?
Great photographer. Great photos. He's also someone that truly enjoys sharing his knowledge. And I for one, appreciate that.
I've known him for many, many years...ever since we tried to break into a Chem Lab together to steal some mercury, way back when.
So raise a glass to Ron Goldsmith! *cheers* oh...wait...right, John...John Goldsmith! ;-)"
April 25th, 2007
"John's easily one of my top 5 favorite photographers on flickr. I love your work around Vancouver and your blend of styles -street, candids, abstract, ... and I also really appreciate your activity in the various forums that I keep running into you on. Great stuff Waxy! Thanks for being waxylicious."
February 13th, 2007
"Waxy not only has some of the most moving photos on Flickr, but he is a beautiful human being. Thank you for all you have shared with the Flickr community!"
February 2nd, 2007
"It is Been a Pleasure to Meet John "Waxy' Down Here in Guadalajara & Share Some Great Time. He Has a Magic Eye!
Thank's Waxy for Share!"
November 30th, 2006
David McGhee says:
Beyond being a great image maker (despite he uses Canon gear... thats a joke) he is an outstanding communicator with both the visual and the spoken word.
Strong, refreshing, imagery combined with a soild attitude provide one of flickrs best assests. Always a pleasure to look at his work.
He still owes me a cooked salmon and for that, I can not wait!"
November 19th, 2006
"John is one of the photographers whose photostream I keep coming back to. His street photographs really capture moments and immerse the viewer in that moment. It inspires one to grab a camera and hit the streets!"
November 6th, 2006
exultant zipper says:
"I came across Waxy Poetic by accident. But since then I’ve been a fan of his photos especially his candid shots of people. If my husband caught me either smiling or laughing, guess what whose photos I was looking at? …WAXY POETIC’s! Anyway, thanks John for sharing your talents… in the Flickr world and most of all thank you for being you! You are a funny guy! Best regards! :)"
October 18th, 2006
"HIs photos are amazing and reflect his amazing sense of vision and imagination. I am amazed as his work and viewing it makes me want to think more creatively and push my imagination more.... He also provides consistantly good advice...."
October 14th, 2006
"John (Waxy) is one of my favorite photographers on Flickr. What excites me about his photography is his unique vision, taking seemingly ordinary objects that most of us would ignore, whether it's a playground toy an old bicycle or a post-it note, and gives them a life of their own. His candid portraits are amazing as they truly capture a moment in time, communicating more than an interesting face, but also a suggestion of the life and being of his subjects. When I need inspiration, Waxy's is one of the streams I visit.
Lastly, I really enjoy the positive tenor and humor John brings to his comments and interaction with others on Flickr. When he has left a comment on your picture, it feels like a positive spark has just ignited the room and the conversation becomes more fun. A great personality that clearly comes across in his photography.
And, he has curly hair like Shirley Temple."
September 30th, 2006
"Waxy is an incredible photographer, especially when it comes to movement. He is able to capture not only the what is going on in a scene with movement, but a feeling as well. His composition is generally speaking near perfect in this regard."
August 31st, 2006
"Waxy is the meaning behind the word inspire! He inspires me and all that view his work!"
June 5th, 2006
- John Goldsmith
- May 2005
- Detroit, USA
- Vancouver, Canada
- Professional Photographer
- John Goldsmith Photography
- john [at] johngoldsmithphotography.com