What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe 37,795 photos, 987 members
- Extreme Weather (Invite or Approval Only) 10,649 photos, 968 members
- Therm-App thermal camera users 593 photos, 103 members
- PixelStick 2014 564 photos, 174 members
- New York City Based Photographers 6,032 photos, 118 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 932,321 photos, 12,139 members
- North Dakota 20,804 photos, 718 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 141 photos, 21 members
- Cats of the World 281,337 photos, 30,507 members
- Cute Kittens 49,931 photos, 5,906 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 739 photos, 44 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 387 photos, 43 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 17,513 photos, 1,095 members
- NYBG Group 26,218 photos, 755 members
- B&H Photo 35,935 photos, 6,691 members
- Seaside Decay 2,829 photos, 472 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 173 photos, 31 members
- * Looking UP! 27,091 photos, 1,590 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 83 photos, 61 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 537 photos, 1,813 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 13,840 photos, 2,756 members
- Wire Wool 6,890 photos, 1,064 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,579 photos, 96 members
- Favorites: 500 4,103 photos, 775 members
- Redheads! 18,139 photos, 6,839 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,295 photos, 181 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 54,944 photos, 8,922 members
- "Urban Wandering" 56,893 photos, 1,421 members
- FishEye 166,639 photos, 14,694 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 15,223 photos, 1,538 members
- Favorites: 150 18,815 photos, 3,253 members
- Favorites: 175 9,843 photos, 2,138 members
- Favorites: 100 54,146 photos, 6,815 members
- Favorites: 90 16,987 photos, 4,049 members
- NYC Bellydance 436 photos, 31 members
- Lensbaby 80,223 photos, 10,084 members
- 28 Days Later 159,942 photos, 3,633 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 114,076 photos, 2,322 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 126,693 photos, 2,702 members
- NYC HDR 2,463 photos, 128 members
- The Flickr Consulate 2,459 photos, 160 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 13,537 photos, 857 members
- Ellis Island 347 photos, 98 members
- Favorites: 300 14,328 photos, 1,655 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,729 photos, 111 members
- Favorites: 80 20,681 photos, 4,537 members
- Favorites: 250 8,842 photos, 1,906 members
- Views: 10,000 44,795 photos, 6,652 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: