What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe 40,278 photos, 1,028 members
- CSSS: Extreme Weather on Planet Earth (Invite or Approval Only) 11,114 photos, 994 members
- Therm-App thermal camera users 617 photos, 122 members
- PixelStick 2014 576 photos, 178 members
- New York City Based Photographers 6,538 photos, 119 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 1,013,739 photos, 12,652 members
- North Dakota 21,048 photos, 726 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 128 photos, 22 members
- Cats of the World 295,892 photos, 31,017 members
- Cute Kittens 49,458 photos, 5,916 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 772 photos, 47 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 43 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 17,886 photos, 1,096 members
- NYBG Group 27,031 photos, 759 members
- B&H Photo 35,802 photos, 6,672 members
- Seaside Decay 2,779 photos, 467 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 173 photos, 30 members
- * Looking UP! 27,546 photos, 1,605 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 84 photos, 60 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 536 photos, 1,810 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 13,723 photos, 2,760 members
- Wire Wool 6,910 photos, 1,064 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,603 photos, 97 members
- Favorites: 500 4,425 photos, 814 members
- Redheads! 18,428 photos, 6,908 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,341 photos, 181 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 55,779 photos, 8,962 members
- "Urban Wandering" 57,654 photos, 1,409 members
- FishEye 167,374 photos, 14,687 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 15,265 photos, 1,548 members
- Favorites: 150 19,492 photos, 3,319 members
- Favorites: 175 9,963 photos, 2,168 members
- Favorites: 100 58,267 photos, 6,929 members
- Favorites: 90 18,421 photos, 4,125 members
- NYC Bellydance 436 photos, 31 members
- Lensbaby 79,843 photos, 10,077 members
- 28 Days Later 163,746 photos, 3,650 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 117,372 photos, 2,343 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 132,713 photos, 2,795 members
- NYC HDR 2,472 photos, 129 members
- The Flickr Consulate 2,459 photos, 160 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 13,843 photos, 866 members
- Ellis Island 345 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 300 15,054 photos, 1,686 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,732 photos, 111 members
- Favorites: 80 21,640 photos, 4,617 members
- Favorites: 250 9,301 photos, 1,933 members
- Views: 10,000 46,371 photos, 6,786 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: