What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe 42,378 photos, 1,068 members
- CSSS: Extreme Weather on Planet Earth (Invite or Approval Only) 12,389 photos, 1,047 members
- Therm-App thermal camera users 622 photos, 138 members
- PixelStick 2014 565 photos, 178 members
- New York City Based Photographers 6,885 photos, 119 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 1,118,507 photos, 13,125 members
- North Dakota 21,339 photos, 740 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 128 photos, 22 members
- Cats of the World 303,246 photos, 31,454 members
- Cute Kittens 49,697 photos, 5,935 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 797 photos, 45 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 44 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 18,228 photos, 1,100 members
- NYBG Group 27,809 photos, 760 members
- B&H Photo 35,684 photos, 6,645 members
- Seaside Decay 2,778 photos, 466 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 173 photos, 30 members
- * Looking UP! 27,781 photos, 1,624 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 88 photos, 60 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 535 photos, 1,818 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 13,652 photos, 2,757 members
- Wire Wool 6,926 photos, 1,064 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,636 photos, 97 members
- Favorites: 500 4,844 photos, 856 members
- Redheads! 18,670 photos, 6,974 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,367 photos, 181 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 56,758 photos, 9,017 members
- "Urban Wandering" 58,458 photos, 1,396 members
- FishEye 168,644 photos, 14,682 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 15,184 photos, 1,548 members
- Favorites: 150 21,231 photos, 3,407 members
- Favorites: 175 9,758 photos, 2,232 members
- Favorites: 100 60,915 photos, 7,044 members
- Favorites: 90 17,590 photos, 4,214 members
- NYC Bellydance 436 photos, 31 members
- Lensbaby 79,442 photos, 10,067 members
- 28 Days Later 166,665 photos, 3,666 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 120,064 photos, 2,372 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 134,267 photos, 2,832 members
- NYC HDR 2,477 photos, 128 members
- The Flickr Consulate 2,459 photos, 159 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 13,909 photos, 865 members
- Ellis Island 345 photos, 98 members
- Favorites: 300 16,310 photos, 1,742 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,641 photos, 111 members
- Favorites: 80 21,059 photos, 4,695 members
- Favorites: 250 10,040 photos, 1,974 members
- Views: 10,000 45,541 photos, 6,937 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
average touch says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
boundless year says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: