What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe 34,967 photos, 941 members
- Extreme Weather (Invite or Approval Only) 9,487 photos, 887 members
- Therm-App thermal camera users 526 photos, 85 members
- PixelStick 2014 543 photos, 176 members
- New York City Based Photographers 5,142 photos, 116 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 765,656 photos, 11,010 members
- North Dakota 20,355 photos, 702 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 141 photos, 21 members
- Cats of the World 269,166 photos, 29,646 members
- Cute Kittens 49,609 photos, 5,869 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 663 photos, 43 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 387 photos, 43 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 17,188 photos, 1,096 members
- NYBG Group 25,527 photos, 752 members
- B&H Photo 36,330 photos, 6,709 members
- Seaside Decay 2,845 photos, 470 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 184 photos, 30 members
- * Looking UP! 25,791 photos, 1,545 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 82 photos, 60 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 537 photos, 1,799 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 13,886 photos, 2,741 members
- Wire Wool 6,782 photos, 1,063 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,545 photos, 95 members
- Favorites: 500 3,640 photos, 595 members
- Redheads! 17,243 photos, 6,770 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,253 photos, 177 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 53,481 photos, 8,818 members
- "Urban Wandering" 55,020 photos, 1,436 members
- FishEye 163,015 photos, 14,652 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 15,134 photos, 1,517 members
- Favorites: 150 22,173 photos, 2,817 members
- Favorites: 175 9,135 photos, 1,809 members
- Favorites: 100 82,639 photos, 6,229 members
- Favorites: 90 40,242 photos, 3,637 members
- NYC Bellydance 425 photos, 28 members
- Lensbaby 80,774 photos, 10,079 members
- 28 Days Later 154,695 photos, 3,596 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 107,329 photos, 2,242 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 117,524 photos, 2,546 members
- NYC HDR 2,448 photos, 128 members
- The Flickr Consulate 2,489 photos, 161 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 13,038 photos, 847 members
- Ellis Island 347 photos, 100 members
- Favorites: 300 10,656 photos, 1,369 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,672 photos, 111 members
- Favorites: 80 44,647 photos, 4,129 members
- Favorites: 250 10,243 photos, 1,608 members
- Views: 10000 26,322 photos, 6,139 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: