What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- Therm-App thermal camera users 150 photos, 25 members
- PixelStick 2014 369 photos, 119 members
- New York City Based Photographers 1,356 photos, 77 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 104,072 photos, 4,883 members
- North Dakota 17,830 photos, 626 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 123 photos, 18 members
- Cats of the World 181,640 photos, 22,929 members
- Cute Kittens 46,079 photos, 5,615 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 493 photos, 30 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 42 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 15,335 photos, 1,046 members
- NYBG Group 24,711 photos, 712 members
- B&H Photo 36,915 photos, 6,504 members
- Seaside Decay 2,883 photos, 462 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 193 photos, 25 members
- A View Looking UP! 24,156 photos, 1,146 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 80 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 552 photos, 1,619 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 14,869 photos, 2,444 members
- Wire Wool 6,222 photos, 976 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,384 photos, 91 members
- Favorites: 500 806 photos, 214 members
- Redheads! 13,433 photos, 6,124 members
- Rochester Architecture 1,897 photos, 159 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 47,419 photos, 8,048 members
- "Urban Wandering" 37,736 photos, 1,369 members
- FishEye 144,176 photos, 13,844 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,164 photos, 1,388 members
- Favorites: 150 5,081 photos, 1,400 members
- Favorites: 175 1,942 photos, 834 members
- Favorites: 100 19,064 photos, 3,573 members
- Favorites: 90 9,548 photos, 1,939 members
- NYC Bellydance 532 photos, 25 members
- Lensbaby 80,534 photos, 9,749 members
- 28 Days Later 112,873 photos, 3,187 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 69,853 photos, 1,763 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 60,908 photos, 1,367 members
- NYC HDR 2,419 photos, 124 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,817 photos, 163 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 9,141 photos, 710 members
- Ellis Island 455 photos, 98 members
- Favorites: 300 2,454 photos, 632 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,412 photos, 90 members
- Favorites: 80 11,386 photos, 2,299 members
- Favorites: 250 2,138 photos, 759 members
- Views: 10000 12,402 photos, 4,194 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 79,361 photos, 11,445 members
- Waterfalls 139,682 photos, 17,657 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: