What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and sqeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D300, although some older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my old Nikon D70s or p&s Nikon 4300.
- Cats of the World 128,387 photos, 18,347 members
- Cute Kittens 43,686 photos, 5,442 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 356 photos, 25 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 43 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 13,729 photos, 1,023 members
- NYBG Group 22,065 photos, 686 members
- B&H Photo 36,898 photos, 6,360 members
- Seaside Decay 2,917 photos, 452 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 192 photos, 19 members
- A View Looking UP! 23,527 photos, 1,073 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 79 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 534 photos, 1,337 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 15,130 photos, 2,300 members
- Wire Wool 5,405 photos, 882 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,282 photos, 88 members
- Favorites: 500 240 photos, 121 members
- Redheads! 11,684 photos, 5,836 members
- Rochester Architecture 1,738 photos, 147 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 44,954 photos, 7,685 members
- "Urban Wandering" 29,819 photos, 1,243 members
- FishEye 134,991 photos, 13,286 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,063 photos, 1,326 members
- Favorites: 150 1,706 photos, 977 members
- Favorites: 175 683 photos, 563 members
- Favorites: 100 7,490 photos, 2,666 members
- Favorites: 90 2,606 photos, 1,415 members
- NYC Bellydance 532 photos, 24 members
- Lensbaby 75,777 photos, 9,509 members
- 28 Days Later 89,680 photos, 2,864 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 57,711 photos, 1,520 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 44,488 photos, 881 members
- NYC HDR 2,365 photos, 119 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,848 photos, 167 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 7,952 photos, 590 members
- Ellis Island 463 photos, 96 members
- Favorites: 300 1,355 photos, 406 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,450 photos, 89 members
- Favorites: 80 3,457 photos, 1,689 members
- Favorites: 250 974 photos, 517 members
- Views: 10000 5,970 photos, 3,376 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 73,561 photos, 10,987 members
- Waterfalls 123,970 photos, 16,322 members
- Fireworks 77,009 photos, 20,166 members
- Fireworks - Just Fireworks 106,599 photos, 16,511 members
- The decayed and the abandoned 103,723 photos, 2,356 members
- Art Meets Photography 98,132 photos, 3,774 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 111,456 photos, 13,335 members
- TWA Terminal at JFK 181 photos, 53 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
11th November, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
27th July, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
30th October, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
2nd August, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
19th July, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: