What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- Therm-App thermal camera users 223 photos, 29 members
- PixelStick 2014 432 photos, 130 members
- New York City Based Photographers 1,821 photos, 81 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 165,454 photos, 5,857 members
- North Dakota 18,372 photos, 640 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 132 photos, 19 members
- Cats of the World 194,473 photos, 23,916 members
- Cute Kittens 46,799 photos, 5,651 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 506 photos, 31 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 42 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 16,057 photos, 1,061 members
- NYBG Group 25,606 photos, 721 members
- B&H Photo 36,897 photos, 6,542 members
- Seaside Decay 2,870 photos, 462 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 185 photos, 26 members
- Looking UP! Look UP! snap a photo. We are Looking UP! 19,994 photos, 1,186 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 80 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 549 photos, 1,688 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 14,707 photos, 2,512 members
- Wire Wool 6,314 photos, 986 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,436 photos, 91 members
- Favorites: 500 1,123 photos, 256 members
- Redheads! 13,792 photos, 6,240 members
- Rochester Architecture 1,990 photos, 161 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 48,140 photos, 8,134 members
- "Urban Wandering" 40,294 photos, 1,394 members
- FishEye 146,796 photos, 13,996 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,344 photos, 1,410 members
- Favorites: 150 6,699 photos, 1,543 members
- Favorites: 175 2,479 photos, 929 members
- Favorites: 100 24,219 photos, 3,857 members
- Favorites: 90 12,103 photos, 2,129 members
- NYC Bellydance 532 photos, 25 members
- Lensbaby 80,919 photos, 9,817 members
- 28 Days Later 119,646 photos, 3,266 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 74,106 photos, 1,847 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 68,146 photos, 1,542 members
- NYC HDR 2,432 photos, 125 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,834 photos, 163 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 9,694 photos, 741 members
- Ellis Island 348 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 300 2,996 photos, 708 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,454 photos, 94 members
- Favorites: 80 14,248 photos, 2,506 members
- Favorites: 250 2,568 photos, 854 members
- Views: 10000 14,769 photos, 4,472 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 81,354 photos, 11,639 members
- Waterfalls 145,437 photos, 18,180 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: