What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- Therm-App thermal camera users 266 photos, 30 members
- PixelStick 2014 447 photos, 135 members
- New York City Based Photographers 1,968 photos, 83 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 186,336 photos, 6,130 members
- North Dakota 18,535 photos, 643 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 133 photos, 19 members
- Cats of the World 198,083 photos, 24,231 members
- Cute Kittens 47,042 photos, 5,677 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 521 photos, 32 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 381 photos, 42 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 15,695 photos, 1,063 members
- NYBG Group 25,794 photos, 726 members
- B&H Photo 36,797 photos, 6,572 members
- Seaside Decay 2,872 photos, 462 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 185 photos, 27 members
- * Looking UP! 20,131 photos, 1,191 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 80 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 549 photos, 1,698 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 14,691 photos, 2,538 members
- Wire Wool 6,341 photos, 989 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,444 photos, 92 members
- Favorites: 500 1,232 photos, 279 members
- Redheads! 13,965 photos, 6,285 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,019 photos, 161 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 48,460 photos, 8,163 members
- "Urban Wandering" 41,432 photos, 1,400 members
- FishEye 147,579 photos, 14,045 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,408 photos, 1,415 members
- Favorites: 150 7,247 photos, 1,598 members
- Favorites: 175 2,766 photos, 969 members
- Favorites: 100 26,076 photos, 3,964 members
- Favorites: 90 12,891 photos, 2,173 members
- NYC Bellydance 532 photos, 25 members
- Lensbaby 80,984 photos, 9,839 members
- 28 Days Later 121,708 photos, 3,288 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 75,440 photos, 1,873 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 70,055 photos, 1,571 members
- NYC HDR 2,431 photos, 126 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,833 photos, 163 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 9,799 photos, 752 members
- Ellis Island 348 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 300 3,207 photos, 746 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,459 photos, 95 members
- Favorites: 80 15,136 photos, 2,555 members
- Favorites: 250 2,769 photos, 891 members
- Views: 10000 15,634 photos, 4,567 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 82,046 photos, 11,704 members
- Waterfalls 147,366 photos, 18,411 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: