What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe 31,829 photos, 888 members
- Extreme Weather (Invite or Approval Only) 8,571 photos, 820 members
- Therm-App thermal camera users 504 photos, 68 members
- PixelStick 2014 521 photos, 164 members
- New York City Based Photographers 4,157 photos, 106 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 562,952 photos, 9,455 members
- North Dakota 19,878 photos, 686 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 141 photos, 23 members
- Cats of the World 248,889 photos, 28,237 members
- Cute Kittens 48,951 photos, 5,835 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 617 photos, 39 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 384 photos, 42 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 17,375 photos, 1,085 members
- NYBG Group 24,156 photos, 739 members
- B&H Photo 36,525 photos, 6,698 members
- Seaside Decay 2,852 photos, 466 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 179 photos, 29 members
- * Looking UP! 24,012 photos, 1,476 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 83 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 539 photos, 1,772 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 13,990 photos, 2,734 members
- Wire Wool 6,619 photos, 1,041 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,520 photos, 93 members
- Favorites: 500 2,455 photos, 501 members
- Redheads! 16,034 photos, 6,623 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,208 photos, 171 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 51,938 photos, 8,623 members
- "Urban Wandering" 51,611 photos, 1,440 members
- FishEye 159,164 photos, 14,505 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,819 photos, 1,487 members
- Favorites: 150 15,987 photos, 2,437 members
- Favorites: 175 6,494 photos, 1,553 members
- Favorites: 100 61,666 photos, 5,578 members
- Favorites: 90 28,186 photos, 3,155 members
- NYC Bellydance 425 photos, 28 members
- Lensbaby 81,198 photos, 10,036 members
- 28 Days Later 146,925 photos, 3,519 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 97,519 photos, 2,133 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 103,852 photos, 2,240 members
- NYC HDR 2,438 photos, 127 members
- The Flickr Consulate 2,498 photos, 162 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 11,572 photos, 837 members
- Ellis Island 347 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 300 7,832 photos, 1,185 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,592 photos, 108 members
- Favorites: 80 32,323 photos, 3,628 members
- Favorites: 250 7,585 photos, 1,377 members
- Views: 10000 26,137 photos, 5,850 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: