What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- Therm-App thermal camera users 426 photos, 52 members
- PixelStick 2014 503 photos, 147 members
- New York City Based Photographers 2,980 photos, 98 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 331,378 photos, 7,691 members
- North Dakota 19,079 photos, 661 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 136 photos, 19 members
- Cats of the World 220,687 photos, 26,197 members
- Cute Kittens 47,924 photos, 5,744 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 561 photos, 33 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 384 photos, 42 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 16,719 photos, 1,071 members
- NYBG Group 26,614 photos, 731 members
- B&H Photo 36,932 photos, 6,655 members
- Seaside Decay 2,859 photos, 462 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 183 photos, 30 members
- * Looking UP! 21,658 photos, 1,345 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 82 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 548 photos, 1,741 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 14,430 photos, 2,626 members
- Wire Wool 6,468 photos, 1,023 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,464 photos, 92 members
- Favorites: 500 1,340 photos, 389 members
- Redheads! 15,022 photos, 6,481 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,107 photos, 165 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 50,078 photos, 8,353 members
- "Urban Wandering" 46,909 photos, 1,422 members
- FishEye 152,753 photos, 14,295 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,604 photos, 1,443 members
- Favorites: 150 10,668 photos, 1,961 members
- Favorites: 175 4,081 photos, 1,219 members
- Favorites: 100 38,026 photos, 4,697 members
- Favorites: 90 18,074 photos, 2,605 members
- NYC Bellydance 533 photos, 25 members
- Lensbaby 81,432 photos, 9,944 members
- 28 Days Later 135,533 photos, 3,424 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 85,379 photos, 2,001 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 85,589 photos, 1,906 members
- NYC HDR 2,438 photos, 126 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,825 photos, 163 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 11,005 photos, 795 members
- Ellis Island 348 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 300 4,691 photos, 932 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,489 photos, 105 members
- Favorites: 80 21,214 photos, 3,024 members
- Favorites: 250 4,326 photos, 1,092 members
- Views: 10000 19,071 photos, 5,186 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 85,929 photos, 12,061 members
- Waterfalls 158,815 photos, 19,542 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: