What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and squeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D610, although older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my Nikon D300, D70s or p&s Nikon 4300. Hell, there are some iPhone pics and other mediums here as well.
For more (stuff which isn't quite Flickr-worthy ... mostly my cat, but plenty of other city/UE stuff), check my Instagram (I use regularly) and Twitter (I use once a year): @tizzimah
- Therm-App thermal camera users 415 photos, 48 members
- PixelStick 2014 497 photos, 145 members
- New York City Based Photographers 2,484 photos, 90 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 277,404 photos, 7,112 members
- North Dakota 18,903 photos, 657 members
- North Dakota State Capitol & Grounds 136 photos, 19 members
- Cats of the World 211,092 photos, 25,371 members
- Cute Kittens 47,636 photos, 5,730 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 545 photos, 33 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 384 photos, 42 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 16,552 photos, 1,068 members
- NYBG Group 26,430 photos, 727 members
- B&H Photo 37,021 photos, 6,628 members
- Seaside Decay 2,859 photos, 461 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 183 photos, 29 members
- * Looking UP! 21,084 photos, 1,305 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 82 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 549 photos, 1,721 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 14,538 photos, 2,604 members
- Wire Wool 6,438 photos, 1,009 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,458 photos, 92 members
- Favorites: 500 1,192 photos, 342 members
- Redheads! 14,613 photos, 6,407 members
- Rochester Architecture 2,071 photos, 164 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 49,596 photos, 8,276 members
- "Urban Wandering" 44,452 photos, 1,414 members
- FishEye 150,598 photos, 14,192 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,555 photos, 1,433 members
- Favorites: 150 9,286 photos, 1,797 members
- Favorites: 175 3,534 photos, 1,098 members
- Favorites: 100 32,953 photos, 4,403 members
- Favorites: 90 15,991 photos, 2,403 members
- NYC Bellydance 533 photos, 24 members
- Lensbaby 81,205 photos, 9,898 members
- 28 Days Later 130,034 photos, 3,379 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 80,830 photos, 1,948 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 79,430 photos, 1,786 members
- NYC HDR 2,436 photos, 126 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,826 photos, 163 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 10,598 photos, 778 members
- Ellis Island 348 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 300 3,996 photos, 858 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,417 photos, 101 members
- Favorites: 80 18,797 photos, 2,818 members
- Favorites: 250 3,583 photos, 1,009 members
- Views: 10000 16,310 photos, 4,932 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 84,437 photos, 11,966 members
- Waterfalls 154,923 photos, 19,193 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
November 11th, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
July 27th, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
October 30th, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
August 2nd, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
July 19th, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: