What started as a side-project, photographing my urban exploration trips has taken on a life of its own. I think I've hit a middle ground, where I've become a picture-taking tourist in my own city, although not of everyday touristy things. Not quite street-photography, I describe my pictures as being city-detail oriented. The term 'urban fragment' more than often suits my pictures just fine.
My other goal is to visit places in NYC's 5 boroughs where people rarely venture, and bring back pictures seldom seen by anyone except the locals. If a non-native New Yorker looks at one of my shots and says "That's in NYC!?!", I've succeeded at this task. If a local person can do the same and say "Where the heck is that!?!", I also get a warm fuzzy feeling.
This picture-taking thing is just a hobby; I have a 50-hour workweek, and most often barely have the time to change the battery in my camera before running out the door and sqeezing in another photoshoot.
I'm currently using a Nikon D300, although some older pictures (and occasional hard-to-get new ones) are from my old Nikon D70s or p&s Nikon 4300.
- Cats of the World 127,346 photos, 18,241 members
- Cute Kittens 43,652 photos, 5,439 members
- Working Harbor Photo Pool 355 photos, 25 members
- Leica X1 Bryant Park Grand Photo Safari 380 photos, 43 members
- GWNYC mods 3 photos, 8 members
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Visitors 13,705 photos, 1,021 members
- NYBG Group 21,948 photos, 685 members
- B&H Photo 36,925 photos, 6,349 members
- Seaside Decay 2,929 photos, 452 members
- NYC Exploring / LTV Group 191 photos, 19 members
- A View Looking UP! 23,541 photos, 1,074 members
- Weiss/Manfredi 77 photos, 10 members
- Urban Omnibus 79 photos, 59 members
- Light Painting Competitions and Themes 534 photos, 1,334 members
- Bokeh Light (outfocus light) 15,131 photos, 2,298 members
- Wire Wool 5,372 photos, 876 members
- Highland Park, Rochester, NY 2,273 photos, 88 members
- Favorites: 500 237 photos, 120 members
- Redheads! 11,658 photos, 5,831 members
- Rochester Architecture 1,736 photos, 146 members
- Fruits and Vegetables (fresh and uncooked) 44,914 photos, 7,680 members
- "Urban Wandering" 30,371 photos, 1,240 members
- FishEye 134,676 photos, 13,236 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,037 photos, 1,325 members
- Favorites: 150 1,669 photos, 968 members
- Favorites: 175 671 photos, 559 members
- Favorites: 100 7,307 photos, 2,658 members
- Favorites: 90 2,516 photos, 1,403 members
- NYC Bellydance 532 photos, 24 members
- Lensbaby 75,664 photos, 9,505 members
- 28 Days Later 89,721 photos, 2,860 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 57,751 photos, 1,515 members
- URBEX JUNKIES 44,013 photos, 877 members
- NYC HDR 2,364 photos, 119 members
- The Flickr Consulate 1,848 photos, 167 members
- "LAPP" Light Art Performance Photography 7,843 photos, 587 members
- Ellis Island 463 photos, 95 members
- Favorites: 300 1,308 photos, 403 members
- The Consolidated City: New York City 1,447 photos, 90 members
- Favorites: 80 3,369 photos, 1,680 members
- Favorites: 250 963 photos, 513 members
- Views: 10000 5,925 photos, 3,365 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 73,484 photos, 10,982 members
- Waterfalls 123,737 photos, 16,298 members
- Fireworks 76,984 photos, 20,169 members
- Fireworks - Just Fireworks 106,649 photos, 16,516 members
- The decayed and the abandoned 103,657 photos, 2,348 members
- Art Meets Photography 97,702 photos, 3,774 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 111,386 photos, 13,334 members
- TWA Terminal at JFK 181 photos, 52 members
"The outstanding quality of Pro-Zak's photography constantly amazes and astounds. The incredible variety of his work alone is enough to keep viewers hungering for more; add to that the talent-rich processing, his eye for a shot and his ability to share his artistic vision and you have nothing less than photographic genius.
'Zak's passion for this art encompasses everyone with whom he interacts. His deep-seated passion for sharing technique, photo-worthy subjects, and to encourage growth among his cohorts makes him a highly sought-after photographic companion. Constantly seeking to push this art into new realms, he thirsts for new and unique challenges. Keep it coming, Pro-Zak!"
11th November, 2009
James Hanlon says:
"In my opinion, the name Timothy (just call me Pro-Zac) Vogel will soon, if not already, be associated with the names of other legends of urban photography. His work is art presented in a compelling and seducing manner that documents the contemporary urban scene with creative grittiness and unrelenting talent that I am sure will inspire many future generations of urban photographers.
Tim's photo-stream will take the viewer into places that go unseen by most New Yorkers! - luckily for all of us, the urban jungle is no match for the determination and drive that this fearless photographer abundantly possesses - that is why you will find his view of life around him as being kinetic, dynamic, poetic, dramatic and, at all times, truly inspiring!!!"
27th July, 2008
"Pro-Zak, the king of Queens. No location where he hasn't been in the NYC area. He really has the ability of finding the most out of the way and secluded locations and captures them with so much enthusiasm that you can simply feel it by looking at his pictures. Can't wait to go back to NYC to go on another Urbex trip. Cheers, Soup."
30th October, 2007
Loon Man says:
"Pro-Zak is almost an activist when it comes to photography, in the sense that he actively searches out new neighborhoods on a regular basis, usually having an idea of what he'll find, but always finding something new. It could be gritty, it could be architectural - - but it's usually great urban photography.
He does not have a cat, and so, no cat shots. I have yet to see a bee in a flower in his stream, either. Nor babies. Those last three are pretty high up on my list of qualifications for a Flickr contact."
2nd August, 2007
Sven Bosman says:
"As a great industrial / urban / port lover its no surprise that i check Pro-Zak's stream every day!
Simply great shots with an eye for details....
The NYC industrial region is very simular with old western Europe cities where i like to shoot.
Keep up the good work!"
19th July, 2006
- Timothy Vogel
- September 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Queens, NY
- I am: