The Mountain-Prairie Region of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service includes eight states across three distinct landscapes — North and South Dakota; Montana and Wyoming; and Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas. The eastern portion of the region is comprised of the Great Plains, primarily the short- and mixed-grass prairies. To the west rise the great Rocky Mountains and the intermountain area beyond the Continental Divide, including parts of the sprawling Colorado plateau and the Great Basin. In the Region’s northeast lie the prairie potholes, which contain some of the most important nesting habitat for waterfowl in North America.
The Region contains approximately 740,000 square miles, nearly as much land mass as all of Mexico. The Region is home to grizzly bears, gray wolves, bison, bald and golden eagles, waterfowl, six species of cutthroat trout, and migratory birds of every imaginable size and color. The pallid sturgeon and razorback sucker, fish that existed more than 5 million years ago, can still be found in our rivers.
This Region, where the mountains meet the prairies, delivers the Service’s conservation mission through more than 5 million acres, including 134 National Wildlife Refuges, waterfowl production areas including fee title and private land easements established to conserve wetlands and grasslands, and 12 National Fish Hatcheries. Also included in the Region are a National Fish Health Center and National Fish Technology Center, grant funding and technical assistance for states and tribes, migratory bird management, recovery efforts for a variety of threatened and endangered species, programs to help private and tribal landowners restore habitat, and law enforcement for the protection of our natural resources.
By working together, we can effectively address the new challenges to our natural resources in the Mountain-Prairie Region and across the nation.
- Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge 4,858 photos, 86 members
- Travel photographs 1,484,094 photos, 37,984 members
- - I LOVE NATURE - 2,025,848 photos, 55,778 members
- Fire in the Sky from the Sun! 30,087 photos, 2,529 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 1,078,196 photos, 68,924 members
- Sunrise Sunset Around the world 40,111 photos, 2,728 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 379,986 photos, 28,253 members
- Sunrises 24,103 photos, 3,074 members
- Sunrise and Sunset’s Today 61,338 photos, 5,098 members
- Montana Photography 40,637 photos, 1,919 members
- Bird Year 865 photos, 52 members
- Share Your Monarchs 1,528 photos, 50 members
- Great American Landscapes 10,337 photos, 882 members
- ✧├Group wi†h Ҽxperience┤✧ 3,530,492 photos, 461,140 members
- Federal Register Agency Photos 12 photos, 14 members
- Women in Wildlife 253 photos, 9 members
- I love the PRAIRIES! 18,794 photos, 399 members
- Greater sage-grouse 588 photos, 5 members
- Kids Color Endangered Species 0 photos, 5 members
- USFWS Best Shots 1,396 photos, 37 members
- Get Your Goose On! (at a National Wildlife Refuge) 1,490 photos, 95 members
- Summer in America's Great Outdoors 1,573 photos, 279 members
- SRLCC Partner Photos 42 photos, 3 members
- Mustelids of the World . 1,403 photos, 234 members
- On the road with animals 16 photos, 3 members
- Holy Cuteness (invite your contacts) 26,072 photos, 2,128 members
- USFWS On Flickr 469 photos, 21 members
USFWS Mountain Prairie doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- USFWS Mountain-Prairie
- July 2010