The Mountain-Prairie Region of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service includes eight states across three distinct landscapes — North and South Dakota; Montana and Wyoming; and Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas. The eastern portion of the region is comprised of the Great Plains, primarily the short- and mixed-grass prairies. To the west rise the great Rocky Mountains and the intermountain area beyond the Continental Divide, including parts of the sprawling Colorado plateau and the Great Basin. In the Region’s northeast lie the prairie potholes, which contain some of the most important nesting habitat for waterfowl in North America.
The Region contains approximately 740,000 square miles, nearly as much land mass as all of Mexico. The Region is home to grizzly bears, gray wolves, bison, bald and golden eagles, waterfowl, six species of cutthroat trout, and migratory birds of every imaginable size and color. The pallid sturgeon and razorback sucker, fish that existed more than 5 million years ago, can still be found in our rivers.
This Region, where the mountains meet the prairies, delivers the Service’s conservation mission through more than 5 million acres, including 134 National Wildlife Refuges, waterfowl production areas including fee title and private land easements established to conserve wetlands and grasslands, and 12 National Fish Hatcheries. Also included in the Region are a National Fish Health Center and National Fish Technology Center, grant funding and technical assistance for states and tribes, migratory bird management, recovery efforts for a variety of threatened and endangered species, programs to help private and tribal landowners restore habitat, and law enforcement for the protection of our natural resources.
By working together, we can effectively address the new challenges to our natural resources in the Mountain-Prairie Region and across the nation.
- Federal Register Agency Photos 0 photos, 7 members
- Women in Science 222 photos, 8 members
- I love the PRAIRIES! 14,689 photos, 330 members
- Greater sage-grouse 190 photos, 5 members
- Kids Color Endangered Species 9 photos, 5 members
- USFWS Best Shots 1,271 photos, 16 members
- Get Your Goose On! (at a National Wildlife Refuge) 999 photos, 78 members
- Summer in America's Great Outdoors 17,994 photos, 283 members
- SRLCC Partner Photos 37 photos, 3 members
- Mustelids of the World . 1,097 photos, 190 members
- On the road with animals 6 photos, 3 members
- Holy Cuteness (invite your contacts) 21,219 photos, 2,144 members
- USFWS On Flickr 362 photos, 20 members
USFWS Mountain Prairie doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- USFWS Mountain-Prairie
- July 2010