The Mountain-Prairie Region of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service includes eight states across three distinct landscapes — North and South Dakota; Montana and Wyoming; and Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas. The eastern portion of the region is comprised of the Great Plains, primarily the short- and mixed-grass prairies. To the west rise the great Rocky Mountains and the intermountain area beyond the Continental Divide, including parts of the sprawling Colorado plateau and the Great Basin. In the Region’s northeast lie the prairie potholes, which contain some of the most important nesting habitat for waterfowl in North America.
The Region contains approximately 740,000 square miles, nearly as much land mass as all of Mexico. The Region is home to grizzly bears, gray wolves, bison, bald and golden eagles, waterfowl, six species of cutthroat trout, and migratory birds of every imaginable size and color. The pallid sturgeon and razorback sucker, fish that existed more than 5 million years ago, can still be found in our rivers.
This Region, where the mountains meet the prairies, delivers the Service’s conservation mission through more than 5 million acres, including 134 National Wildlife Refuges, waterfowl production areas including fee title and private land easements established to conserve wetlands and grasslands, and 12 National Fish Hatcheries. Also included in the Region are a National Fish Health Center and National Fish Technology Center, grant funding and technical assistance for states and tribes, migratory bird management, recovery efforts for a variety of threatened and endangered species, programs to help private and tribal landowners restore habitat, and law enforcement for the protection of our natural resources.
By working together, we can effectively address the new challenges to our natural resources in the Mountain-Prairie Region and across the nation.
- Travel photographs 1,277,076 photos, 34,853 members
- - I LOVE NATURE - 1,796,769 photos, 51,718 members
- Fire in the Sky from the Sun! 28,849 photos, 2,490 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 1,035,366 photos, 67,057 members
- Sunrise Sunset Around the world 36,407 photos, 2,562 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 358,850 photos, 27,463 members
- Sunrises 20,424 photos, 2,715 members
- Sunrise and Sunset’s Today 53,486 photos, 4,589 members
- Montana Photography 38,978 photos, 1,890 members
- Bird Year 552 photos, 50 members
- Share Your Monarchs 1,497 photos, 49 members
- Great American Landscapes 9,722 photos, 839 members
- ｡˚ ◢Group wi†h Ҽxperience◣º° 3,399,435 photos, 437,758 members
- Federal Register Agency Photos 3 photos, 13 members
- Women in Wildlife 253 photos, 9 members
- I love the PRAIRIES! 18,112 photos, 394 members
- Greater sage-grouse 541 photos, 5 members
- Kids Color Endangered Species 0 photos, 5 members
- USFWS Best Shots 1,328 photos, 32 members
- Get Your Goose On! (at a National Wildlife Refuge) 1,380 photos, 90 members
- Summer in America's Great Outdoors 1,569 photos, 282 members
- SRLCC Partner Photos 35 photos, 3 members
- Mustelids of the World . 1,353 photos, 222 members
- On the road with animals 8 photos, 3 members
- Holy Cuteness (invite your contacts) 25,353 photos, 2,130 members
- USFWS On Flickr 453 photos, 21 members
USFWS Mountain Prairie doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- USFWS Mountain-Prairie
- July 2010