This flickr collection was created to raise awareness of the activities of the United States Military in Northern Ireland during the Second World War, and also provide a reference source for those researching the period
The images can generally be divided into the following source types:
Photographs taken by military personnel in an official capacity.
Unofficial photographs by military personnel or civilians such as snapshots.
Press photographs for newspapers and magazines.
The collection also includes some scans of period documents and ephemera which have been included to add further context and broaden the content.
Scans from contemporary magazines and books are generally not included in the photostream due to quality and editorial cropping. Where possible an original print or first generation scan, will be sought to provide as clear an image as possible.
If the image in the photostream originates from an online source, where possible that source or collection will be identified, and a link included. Examples of this are the Imperial War Museum (IWM), Life magazine collections (now held by Getty), and also the United States Army Air Forces content from Fold 3 (held at NARA). In the first two examples these images are watermarked with their own logo.
A substantial number of the images in the photostream are not available on any other websites and unique to the US Forces in Northern Ireland collection.
Many of these images have been scanned directly from original period prints.
These images have been watermarked with 'US Forces in Northern Ireland during WW2' to identify them as part of this on-line collection.
In some cases when an orignal print or negative can't be sourced, a lesser quality version may be used if the content is of sufficient interest.
About image re-use
The downloading of images directly via Flickr is disabled.
Sharing via social media can be done using a direct link to an image, via the 'share photo' function.
This is located in the middle of the three icons to the right of each image.
The icon will open the options for use on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Images watermarked with the US Forces in Northern Ireland during WW2 and re-used without prior permission, can be removed from social media through copyright law.
If you wish to use an image, where that image is previously from an on-line source, please follow the link if one is included.
Caption information from the original sources is sometimes include. However this can often be limited or even completely incorrect due to a number of reasons relating to wartime conditions. The aim of the captions on the photostream is to provide further detail on the subject matter of each image, and identify and expand on any particular items of interest.
Where identifiable, locations are provided for the images. Some of which will be included into the map feature on Flickr.
We hope you enjoy the collection
- Saxophones 8,066 photos, 1,006 members
- B&W 5,370,538 photos, 230,852 members
- women of ww2 2,061 photos, 173 members
- Classic Vintage Cycles 15,760 photos, 2,639 members
- Vintage Motorbikes (motorcycles) 43,324 photos, 1,895 members
- Cranes 32,373 photos, 2,935 members
- WW II 54,024 photos, 3,406 members
- TANKs & Military Vehicles 40,895 photos, 1,125 members
- WWII Bombers 14,322 photos, 1,006 members
- Military Vehicles 56,807 photos, 1,430 members
- Jeep 26,272 photos, 2,762 members
- North American P-51 Mustangs 16,377 photos, 1,066 members
- Martin B-26 Marauder 273 photos, 44 members
- Old Hollywood 10,846 photos, 1,589 members
- B24 AIRCRAFT WW2 149 photos, 28 members
- Naval ships, navy ships and warships 36,175 photos, 2,529 members
- Naval history and warships 18,259 photos, 1,335 members
- Aircraft Carriers 2,355 photos, 303 members
- Workboats and Tugboats 170,348 photos, 3,658 members
- Military Trucks 16,928 photos, 731 members
- Tanks and armoured cars (not artillery) 30,128 photos, 2,545 members
- Artillery 20,868 photos, 1,469 members
- Republic P-47 Thunderbolt 1,368 photos, 226 members
- Lockheed P-38 Lighting 1,525 photos, 230 members
- Sailors in Uniform 1,581 photos, 518 members
- B-17 Flying Fortress 9,094 photos, 950 members
- United States Army Air Forces 2,254 photos, 340 members
- GMC CCKW * 4,954 photos, 237 members
- Quonset 638 photos, 146 members
- Nissen Huts (and Derivatives) - Worldwide 922 photos, 101 members
- Old Belfast and Northern Ireland - Photographs taken before 2000 1,180 photos, 286 members
- US Forces in Northern Ireland during WW2 167 photos, 14 members
G.I N.I doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- US Forces in Northern Ireland during WW2
- December 2013
- usaniww2 [at] btopenworld.com