"All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it..."
Hello curious visitor!
I'm Nicholas, from Belgium.
(yes the chocolate and waffle country)
I've created this Flickr account in 2007 because of my growing interest in photography. I've always been a creative boy in various ways, but now I have found a great endless possibility to express my visions and feelings.
I like to experiment with original ideas and compositions,
I'm a perfectionist with great patience
and an enjoyer of life and its little details... :)
Though some of my digital macro shots might look unrealistic to you, all of them are 100% real and no Photoshop was used to edit them, except for some white balance or contrast issues, or to remove dust on the macro filters.
Since April 2008 I've started doing analogue photography as well. It's so exciting and charismatic! To me, it feels like the 'real' photography.
Overall, the main thing that matters is that I'm having a lot of fun making these shots and I hope I can put a smile on your face every now and then.
Thanks for dropping by!
Feel free to ask me anything!
• Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
• Canon EOS 400D
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + Sonia macro filters + Canon RC-1 Remote Control
• Samsung NX10
30mm f/2 pancake + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
• Canon Digital IXUS 65
• Lomo LC-A (1986)
• Lomography Spinner
• Mamiya NC1000S (1977?)
35mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.7 + 135mm f/2.8
• Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II ("Pete" 1971-76?)
SMC Takumar lenses: Super 28mm f1/3.5 + Macro 50mm f1/4 + 55mm f1/2 + 85mm f1/1.8 + Super 135mm f1/2.5 + 200mm f1/4 + 85-210mm f1/4.5
• Olympus OM-2N (silver) ("Lora" 1974?) & Olympus OM-2N (black) ("Ichiyuro" 1974?)
Zuiko 50mm f1/1.8 + Zuiko 28mm f1/2.8 + Vivitar 28mm f1/2.8
• Agfa Billy Record 4.5 (1945)
• Hasselblad 500C/M ("Berry" 1975)
Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm f/2.8 Planar C T* (1980) + A12 back (1974) + C16 back (1966) + waist level viewfinder + extension tube 21
• Rolleiflex 3.5E ("Julie" 1957-59?)
• Seagull 4A-103 ("Charlie" 1964)
• Yashica Electro 35 GX Black ("Nobby" 1975)
• Polaroid 636 Close Up (1996)
Polaroid 779 film
Hama Tripod Star 700 EF Digital + Sekonic L-308S Flashmate + Holga 120 Flash + ColorSplash flash + Polaroid Pogo printer
• Unused or collectibles
Yashica C ("Simone"), Coronet Rex box camera, Minox 35 EL, Praktica MTL 5, Pentax Zoom 105 Super, Minolta Riva Zoom 105EX, Kodak Brownie 127, disposable cameras, Gossen Sixtry light meter, Class 2 Hit camera, Canon FTb, Polaroid Colorpack 80, Petri 35E, Contina with Zeiss Ikon lens, Yashica Lynx 5000E, Rollei 121BC flash, Voigtländer Brillant...
• Wish list
Leica M2, Polaroid SX-70 or SLR 680/690, Hasselblad Acute Matte screen with grid,...
• JPG Magazine
Feel free to contact me:
- Flickr Social 162,556 photos, 5,738 members
- The Film Foundation Belgium 38 photos, 13 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,835 photos, 6,442 members
- Project Weather 644,327 photos, 93,836 members
- Analog Photography 2,114,863 photos, 47,786 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 852,808 photos, 26,859 members
- Polaroid Land Camera 51,119 photos, 5,660 members
- inspiring mountains. 12,611 photos, 1,111 members
- ColorPerfect (ColorNeg) User Group 4,164 photos, 522 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,135 photos, 13,636 members
- COLLECTIONS ON DISPLAY 5,815 photos, 564 members
- Vintage Camera Museum 15,382 photos, 1,564 members
- Booooooom.com! 375,994 photos, 18,539 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,679 photos, 1,593 members
- Spinner 360 4,101 photos, 694 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,343 members
- Illustration 551,565 photos, 34,080 members
- Loving Draw 2,725 photos, 144 members
- Character Design 104,549 photos, 7,561 members
- Lomography UK 29,524 photos, 1,742 members
- flickr Japan 1,104,432 photos, 20,660 members
- Mamiya 35mm 5,553 photos, 500 members
- Agfa Billy 575 photos, 152 members
- ♬ 手紙舎 ┃Tegamisha ♫ 822 photos, 205 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 71,783 photos, 3,925 members
- 3.000+ Faves 21 photos, 71 members
- Public Transport Project 146 photos, 20 members
- MONOCLE 981 photos, 179 members
- Hasselblad 270,455 photos, 12,847 members
- 66graphy. 70,902 photos, 1,474 members
- Kodak Expired Film 22,760 photos, 1,659 members
- burn, burn, burn! (start/end of film shots) 1,760 photos, 558 members
- FlickrCentral 9,433,631 photos, 256,754 members
- Vintage Analogue 369,078 photos, 9,149 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 384,327 photos, 15,657 members
- Portra [Kodak Portra Film] 153,220 photos, 16,162 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,253 photos, 13,047 members
- Nerd characters 65 photos, 76 members
- 6x6. 281,008 photos, 7,846 members
- gentblogt 3,814 photos, 255 members
- Photowalk Belgium 26,526 photos, 658 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 461 members
- lomokev books in the wide 161 photos, 111 members
- Dutch Film Group - Ja wij gebruiken nog steeds film! 19,368 photos, 501 members
- Flickr Clock 4,018 photos, 2,651 members
- Twin Lens Reflex 203,254 photos, 19,502 members
- Seagull TLR 15,546 photos, 2,108 members
- Medium Format (120/220 film only) 811,944 photos, 34,425 members
- Lomo Sticker 10 photos, 16 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 288,495 photos, 6,765 members
"Ukaaa's work and sense of creativity are quite unique on Flickr. I really like the way he catches light and simple things of life. He makes them beautiful and/or funny. Some of his shot made some of my days! Thank you Belgium. You invented 'french fries' (hum, not quite sure about that huh?), wafles, you make unique chocolates and beers, but you also have a top, humble and friendly photographer! Hope I can have the opportunity to hang out and shoot with him some day :))"
January 19th, 2012
"nicholas has always been a great inspiration to me since i began fiddling with flickr. his talent has easily garnered himself the #1 Belgian Photographer Award in my list, but then again, hes the only Belgian i know hahaha
despite meeting only this avenue of similar interests, i can say this guy is a good man. its not very often that you meet people with that quality that is engaging and honest, and nic has it. i look forward to the day that we get to meet and shoot together in person, and im sure if it does happen it would be prettttty epic."
June 25th, 2010
- ♥ Cherie ♥ - says:
"Congratulation on having one million views!! I really enjoy viewing Nicholas's photostream. He is full of fun ideas, talented and super friendly! Hope one day I can have a chance shoot with him!"
March 16th, 2010
"His lifestyle is very cool!His pic always gives me stimulation!"
June 24th, 2009
"Nicholas' stream should be right next to the word: UNIQUE in the dictionary.
What a genius !
March 11th, 2009
"ukaaa’s photo work is unlike anyone else on Flickr. His creativity blows my mind! It’s the reason he has appeared in JPG Mag in back to back issues. Even with all the attention his work gets, he is a very down to earth and cool guy. I am glad to have made friends with him on Flickr and hopefully hang out and shoot with him someday. =)"
February 6th, 2009
"Wow - that's pretty much my reaction every time I see one of ukaaa's thumbnails show up in my contact list. Crap - that's usually what I say right after I actually click on one of his thumbnails to reveal the full measure of his creative genius. I'm stunned at the talent, creativity and effort put into a huge majority of his images. Ugh - if I were half that good at his age. He's gonna go all the way!!! And to top off all of that - he's a super-nice and very encouraging Flickr pal. What more can you ask for?"
May 14th, 2008
Hani Amir says:
"Interesting? Amazing? Phenomenal? Wtf, how on earth does he add all those tiny details? All of these I associate with Ukaa and his photos. All of them have a story to tell. All of them will show you something unique, a new way to look at the word; and all of them presented with such creativity and colour. He's got some mad skills with that camera and composition as well. Keep up the kick ass work man and goodluck."
December 4th, 2007
"Ukaa...where to begin? His photos are always so full of humour and creativity and even though I have never met him, I could tell from the early comments he deposited in my stream that his personality is also the same. His outlook on life in what he writes and creates is infectious. Thanks for reminding us (me) what life truly is about :D"
November 3rd, 2007
"It all began with his tiny paper crane photo I saw on explore.
I think that was also the time when i became a macro enthusiast. This guy has a crazy imagination and lots of creativity which I admire. Browsing this guy's photostream is just like taking a trip to the explore pages. He's got tons of no.1's on explore, hundreds of comments and faves on photos and and the funniest concepts in flickr.
Glad I met this guy.. Keep making us smile and laugh and inspired Nic. =)"
September 19th, 2007
"Ukaaa's photos are precise, witty and amazing. I wish I had his patience and dedication.
I am constantly amazed at his talent."
September 9th, 2007
"His creativity is amazing!!!
His ideas are cool,unusual,inspiring,weird,funny,positively different!!
It's always a pleasure to visit his stream!
August 31st, 2007
paul beefs says:
"He is definitly the Master of Flies."
August 25th, 2007
Twiggy Tu says:
"you create so many intresting pics about funny life."
August 15th, 2007
"the cleverest, most original & wittiest macro photography i have ever seen. if this is not a large commercial merchandising operation very soon i will be very surprised. sell it expensive. it is worth the money."
August 13th, 2007
Jersey Yen says:
"uka is such a big boy who enjoy in his fantastic macro world. he's talented, amazing and absolutely he's a lovely person. I adore his colorful life, everything looks soooo vivid and interesting!! he always can touch my heart and inspirit my mind. take care bro, so glad to know you each other on flickr! ;)*
June 12th, 2007
"Nic is one of the sweetest people I have met in my life. He sees life in a positive way and it can be seen in his pics. I love his style, very unique, so ‘ukesque’. He even introduced me to look at photography in a different way and what a wonderful teacher, so patient with me...
I am always very impatient to see what he is going to invent, like a fool scientist with his test-tubes! xxx"
June 1st, 2007
Oh Blee says:
"Uka takes the cutest pictures I've ever seen, and some of the most stunning too. I love looking at pictures he's taken, there's always something slightly different about what he does!"
May 15th, 2007
"I love his photos. They range from the simple to the stunning, at times they're perfect. Now he has a macro lens i can only imagine how much more awesome pictures are to come."
May 6th, 2007
"Uka's photos are always so great to see. He constantly has great ideas and his photos are all very optimistic and promising. I've seen him really develop his photography no end so far and I know he will only continue to get even better. I love checking his photostream for his new ideas each day :)"
April 29th, 2007
"Uka is full of cutesy ideas in his photography. I enjoy his use of doodles and extremely small handwriting, he works very well with macro photography and should concentrate on this unique and "uka" style of photography. Good work uka :)"
April 29th, 2007
- Nicholas Hendrickx
- December 2006
- Laarne, Belgium
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Web/Graphic Designer