I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (11)
- Blue Ridge Parkway 13,602 photos, 1,081 members
- TOUR PARIS 13 2,255 photos, 64 members
- Simply Paris.. 17,650 photos, 411 members
- Paris architecture 37,602 photos, 2,599 members
- Paris parks 4,291 photos, 170 members
- PARIS, FRANCE ! 107,865 photos, 5,915 members
- Greatest Cities: Paris 10,262 photos, 633 members
- Exploring Paris 62,573 photos, 1,593 members
- Paris Mon Amour 10,085 photos, 237 members
- Paris city of light 11,503 photos, 800 members
- Paris Churches / Eglises parisiennes 10,468 photos, 1,132 members
- Paris Wonderful City ! 59,491 photos, 3,777 members
- PARIS - best of 1,931 photos, 1,032 members
- Paris en Photo 224,997 photos, 11,233 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 97,487 photos, 9,928 members
- An English Country Garden 5,371 photos, 170 members
- VILLAGES 3 29,198 photos, 881 members
- Countryfile 675,610 photos, 7,147 members
- The Beauty of Rock 2,395 photos, 278 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 630,032 photos, 18,593 members
- PARKS GARDENS AND WOODS 81,965 photos, 2,584 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 120,131 photos, 4,792 members
- North Carolina Museum of Art 1,630 photos, 175 members
- Louisa's Landscape Gallery 10,858 photos, 583 members
- American Public Gardens 220 photos, 14 members
- Great American Landscapes 12,409 photos, 1,013 members
- On the Coast of Maine... 13,379 photos, 441 members
- Maine 52,893 photos, 2,062 members
- The Best of Maine Lighthouse and the Coast 763 photos, 160 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 154,129 photos, 22,552 members
- Essence of Maine 46,871 photos, 2,149 members
- Celebrating English Gardens 10,018 photos, 1,602 members
- New York City 832,028 photos, 58,708 members
- New York Photography 484,629 photos, 23,404 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 118,434 photos, 8,800 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York 5,124 photos, 321 members
- NYC Museums & Galleries 1,219 photos, 122 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 16,475 photos, 2,485 members
- Masterworks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 5,250 photos, 345 members
- Explore Georgia 19,607 photos, 415 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 586 photos, 47 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 1,558 photos, 79 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 40,197 photos, 5,068 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 8,831 photos, 435 members
- Lightroom Processing 129,700 photos, 2,305 members
- Adobe Lightroom 52,298 photos, 26,678 members
- CHANTICLEER 2,650 photos, 44 members
- Garden sculpture 1,336 photos, 190 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 2,827 photos, 85 members
- NYBG Group 27,031 photos, 760 members
- Summertime Around the World 14 photos
- 2010 RHS Chelsea Flower Show 13 photos
- Springtime Gives Way to Summer 17 photos
- Springtime in the British Isles 15 photos
- Springtime Around the World 15 photos
- European Images III 2 photos
- More Magical Landscapes 16 photos
- American Botanical Gardens 17 photos
- The Green of Springtime 15 photos
- Arizona Images 4 photos
- More Images of Springtime 14 photos
- Oxford, City of Dreaming Spires 5 photos
- Dreaming of Summertime 4 photos
- Magical Landscapes 15 photos
- Cumbria and the Lake District 10 photos
- Pictures and Poetry 6 photos
- Ærø - a Danish Island 14 photos
- English Scenes 12 photos
- Wintry Landscapes - IV 16 photos
- Wintry Landscapes III 17 photos
- Looking Ahead to Springtime! 16 photos
- Wintry Landscapes II 16 photos
- London 4 photos
- Contemporary Art 13 photos
- England III 12 photos
- Wintry Landscapes 15 photos
- The Desert Southwest 15 photos
- Mosaics 1 photo
- The Holiday Season 13 photos
- Autumn Images III 12 photos
- European Images II 14 photos
- England II 15 photos
- Autumn Images II 14 photos
- London Scenes 3 photos
- Still Life 11 photos
- Cotswolds 15 photos
- Great Dixter 13 photos
- Americana 14 photos
- Images from France 1 photo
- Endland's Peak District 10 photos
- Garden Sculpture and Ornaments 10 photos
- Creative Textures and HDR 10 photos
- Scotland 11 photos
- Autumn Images 14 photos
- Floral Favorites 14 photos
- Images from Nature 11 photos
- Architectural Details 3 photos
- Birds Around the World 11 photos
- European Images 16 photos
- US Landscapes 6 photos
- Inspirational Shots 11 photos
- England 12 photos
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
May 20th, 2009
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
January 18th, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
November 16th, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
October 16th, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
June 26th, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
June 22nd, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken