I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (11)
- Blue Ridge Parkway 12,522 photos, 1,022 members
- TOUR PARIS 13 2,514 photos, 63 members
- Simply Paris.. 15,453 photos, 379 members
- Paris architecture 36,813 photos, 2,564 members
- Paris parks 3,909 photos, 160 members
- PARIS, FRANCE ! 99,602 photos, 5,710 members
- Greatest Cities: Paris 9,523 photos, 605 members
- Exploring Paris 56,374 photos, 1,464 members
- Paris Mon Amour 8,406 photos, 212 members
- Paris city of light 8,827 photos, 701 members
- Paris Churches / Eglises parisiennes 9,912 photos, 1,081 members
- Paris Wonderful City ! 44,563 photos, 3,133 members
- PARIS - best of 1,947 photos, 756 members
- Paris en Photo 199,016 photos, 10,233 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 86,603 photos, 9,115 members
- An English Country Garden 2,931 photos, 137 members
- VILLAGES 3 24,480 photos, 843 members
- Countryfile 547,659 photos, 6,372 members
- The Beauty of Rock 2,008 photos, 222 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 564,029 photos, 17,700 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS WOODS 54,782 photos, 2,026 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 99,537 photos, 4,680 members
- North Carolina Museum of Art 1,565 photos, 176 members
- Louisa's Landscape Gallery 10,494 photos, 573 members
- American Public Gardens 122 photos, 11 members
- Great American Landscapes 10,351 photos, 881 members
- On the Coast of Maine... 12,423 photos, 421 members
- Maine 49,838 photos, 2,024 members
- The Best of Maine Lighthouse and the Coast 642 photos, 148 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 141,789 photos, 21,650 members
- Essence of Maine 44,277 photos, 2,091 members
- Celebrating English Gardens 11,181 photos, 1,609 members
- New York City 797,438 photos, 57,941 members
- New York Photography 453,308 photos, 22,611 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 109,126 photos, 8,526 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York 4,556 photos, 301 members
- Museums & Galleries, NYC 853 photos, 115 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 16,571 photos, 2,507 members
- Masterworks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 5,073 photos, 324 members
- Explore Georgia 16,969 photos, 400 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 537 photos, 44 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 1,443 photos, 74 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 40,883 photos, 5,110 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 8,122 photos, 433 members
- Lightroom Processing 110,179 photos, 2,200 members
- Adobe Lightroom 42,501 photos, 26,252 members
- CHANTICLEER 1,484 photos, 42 members
- Garden sculpture 1,285 photos, 182 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 2,312 photos, 84 members
- NYBG Group 24,390 photos, 746 members
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
May 20th, 2009
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
January 18th, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
November 16th, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
October 16th, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
June 26th, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
June 22nd, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken