I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (11)
- Blue Ridge Parkway 12,436 photos, 1,014 members
- TOUR PARIS 13 2,484 photos, 60 members
- Simply Paris.. 14,584 photos, 360 members
- Paris architecture 36,418 photos, 2,531 members
- Paris parks 3,776 photos, 156 members
- PARIS, FRANCE ! 96,914 photos, 5,626 members
- Greatest Cities: Paris 9,375 photos, 600 members
- Exploring Paris 54,843 photos, 1,433 members
- Paris Mon Amour 8,491 photos, 210 members
- Paris city of light 8,243 photos, 660 members
- Paris Churches / Eglises parisiennes 9,767 photos, 1,062 members
- Paris Wonderful City ! 41,658 photos, 2,969 members
- PARIS - best of 1,708 photos, 697 members
- Paris en Photo 192,171 photos, 9,967 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 84,278 photos, 8,897 members
- An English Country Garden 2,739 photos, 132 members
- VILLAGES 3 23,338 photos, 835 members
- Countryfile 523,622 photos, 6,151 members
- The Beauty of Rock 1,962 photos, 216 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 540,542 photos, 17,388 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS WOODS 51,933 photos, 2,004 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 94,229 photos, 4,642 members
- North Carolina Museum of Art 1,550 photos, 173 members
- Louisa's Landscape Gallery 10,271 photos, 570 members
- American Public Gardens 113 photos, 11 members
- Great American Landscapes 9,923 photos, 849 members
- On the Coast of Maine... 12,199 photos, 413 members
- Maine 49,621 photos, 2,017 members
- The Best of Maine Lighthouse and the Coast 636 photos, 145 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 139,660 photos, 21,436 members
- Essence of Maine 43,883 photos, 2,086 members
- Celebrating English Gardens 11,468 photos, 1,606 members
- New York City 788,441 photos, 57,667 members
- New York Photography 447,055 photos, 22,409 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 107,371 photos, 8,433 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York 4,343 photos, 295 members
- Museums & Galleries, NYC 797 photos, 114 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 16,578 photos, 2,505 members
- Masterworks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 5,050 photos, 319 members
- Explore Georgia 16,424 photos, 399 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 532 photos, 44 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 1,407 photos, 73 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,002 photos, 5,108 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 7,904 photos, 427 members
- Lightroom Processing 105,555 photos, 2,149 members
- Adobe Lightroom 40,218 photos, 26,108 members
- CHANTICLEER 1,372 photos, 42 members
- Garden sculpture 1,268 photos, 180 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 2,290 photos, 84 members
- NYBG Group 24,268 photos, 740 members
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
May 20th, 2009
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
January 18th, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
November 16th, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
October 16th, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
June 26th, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
June 22nd, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken