I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (10)
- North Carolina Museum of Art 1,507 photos, 164 members
- Louisa's Landscape Gallery 5,601 photos, 275 members
- American Public Gardens 57 photos, 2 members
- Great American Landscapes 6,360 photos, 552 members
- On the Coast of Maine... 8,000 photos, 326 members
- Maine 41,232 photos, 1,838 members
- The Best of Maine Lighthouse and the Coast 313 photos, 88 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 105,388 photos, 17,520 members
- Essence of Maine 33,202 photos, 1,729 members
- Celebrating English Gardens 12,467 photos, 1,538 members
- New York City 633,063 photos, 45,852 members
- New York Photography 322,187 photos, 17,970 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 84,837 photos, 7,248 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York 4,053 photos, 253 members
- Museums & Galleries, NYC 522 photos, 60 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 19,991 photos, 2,391 members
- Masterworks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 4,838 photos, 287 members
- Explore Georgia 8,103 photos, 308 members
- Super Shots - Only Invited Photos - Nominate Now 257,383 photos, 40,516 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 373 photos, 36 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 823 photos, 51 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 42,809 photos, 5,210 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 4,225 photos, 363 members
- Lightroom Processing 48,304 photos, 1,495 members
- Adobe Lightroom 23,488 photos, 22,709 members
- CHANTICLEER 912 photos, 33 members
- Garden sculpture 1,164 photos, 158 members
- 2012 Downtown Georgia photo contest 178 photos, 98 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 2,034 photos, 78 members
- NYBG Group 22,065 photos, 686 members
- American Horticultural Society Photo Contests 1,255 photos, 195 members
- Rye East Sussex 1,689 photos, 195 members
- Yahoo Your Pictures 59,952 photos, 3,063 members
- Rainbows.....PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION BEFORE POSTING 11,204 photos, 4,986 members
- rainbow 10,883 photos, 5,039 members
- Chicago Botanic Garden 8,805 photos, 505 members
- Unforgettable Landscapes(High Quality) 50,083 photos, 7,102 members
- Berlin - Gärten der Welt im Erholungspark Marzahn 3,011 photos, 229 members
- Art Institute of Chicago 3,443 photos, 352 members
- Chicago... 129,500 photos, 8,277 members
- Naturalistic Garden and Wild Garden Design 3,837 photos, 382 members
- Your Kew 21,989 photos, 1,233 members
- Great Garden Galleries 78 photos, 43 members
- BBC Gardeners' World 22,922 photos, 1,208 members
- The Colours of: Spring 398,504 photos, 17,888 members
- Georgia Autumn 1,641 photos, 103 members
- Mushrooms and Fungi 37,182 photos, 2,997 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 62,744 photos, 523 members
- BBC Autumnwatch 142,246 photos, 12,623 members
- Color Escape: B&W ONLY (NO COLOR) 31,362 photos, 1,872 members
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
20th May, 2009
AJK Photography says:
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
18th January, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
16th November, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
16th October, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
26th June, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
22nd June, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken