I am a middle aged American man living in the North Georgia mountains near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. My wife and I are active hikers. We love to travel in England because of the cool weather, the extensive public transportation and the thousands of miles of public footpaths. I have been working on a garden of my own for fifteen years. I have used many of the ideas that I have gotten from English gardens.
After looking at many pictures on Flickr for over a year, I finally joined in January, 2008, and put up almost 1500 pictures taken on a trip to the Cotswolds, East Sussex and the Chelsea Flower Show in 2007. I have since put up a number of sets taken in various small towns in the Southern US, and have also added sets taken on trips to other parts of England including Derbyshire, Shropshire, and Yorkshire as well as other English Gardens such as Chatsworth and Haddon Hall and the Chelsea Show of 2005, and then our July 2008 trip to Sussex and the Cotswolds, as well as other English gardens such as Sissinghurst, Nymans, Savill, Windsor Great Park and Sheffield Park. More recently, I have put up shots from Hardwick Hall, and several walks and cycle rides in the areas around Bakewell, Tissington, Dovedale and Ilam from our two week visit to Derbyshire in 2006.
I spent the past couple of years "returning to my roots" by taking pictures of the changing seasons in the North Georgia mountains where my paternal ancestors have lived for over 175 years. 2010 saw a late winter trip to Tucson and a week at Grayton Beach State Park in Northwest Florida.
In May, 2011, I made yet another trip to England, this time - twelve days in which I managed to cram: a full day at Kew Gardens to see the outdoor exhibition of the International Garden Photographer of the Year, four days of villages and gardens in the Cotswolds, a day at Oxford and Rousham, three days in Rye with visits to Great Dixter and Winchelsea, a side trip from London to Amberley and Arundel, an afternoon garden party inside Eccleston Square, an exhibition of Henry Moore sculptures at Hatfield House, a visit with Flickr contact Penwren and her family in Lewes. The grand finale was the last day - a glimpse of the Obamas during the Presidential Visit to London, and an afternoon ticket to the Chelsea Flower Show. It's going to take the rest of the summer to organize and put up all of the pictures.
We may make a few car trips around Georgia or nearby states, and have scheduled a short visit to family in Chicago for later this summer.
In June, 2009, I purchased a Nikon D40 SLR, and will use it for macros, still lifes and plant portraits that did not come out well on my trusty Canon compact.
If things get slow, I may also go back to the "archives" each morning and put up a shot that did not get seen by many of my contacts when it was first posted. It is my hope that these pictures will be helpful to people trying to decide whether to visit the places that I have documented here.
Someone asked about my Flickr Icon. It's a small figurine of an English Bulldog - the mascot of the University of Georgia (UGA) - my alma mater and also that of our son and daughter-in-law . Here he's dressed in gardening garb in the UGA School colors of Red and Black - our young nephew spotted it in a shop somewhere and it became a Christmas present to me a couple of years ago:
Photos of UGArdener (10)
- TOWN/ VILLAGES 12,496 photos, 790 members
- Countryfile 351,521 photos, 4,832 members
- The Beauty of Rock 1,462 photos, 152 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 383,440 photos, 14,918 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS 25,080 photos, 1,798 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 51,400 photos, 4,229 members
- North Carolina Museum of Art 1,538 photos, 166 members
- Louisa's Landscape Gallery 7,256 photos, 406 members
- American Public Gardens 81 photos, 4 members
- Great American Landscapes 7,536 photos, 676 members
- On the Coast of Maine... 9,796 photos, 350 members
- Maine 45,261 photos, 1,900 members
- The Best of Maine Lighthouse and the Coast 452 photos, 121 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 120,256 photos, 19,208 members
- Essence of Maine 38,368 photos, 1,898 members
- Celebrating English Gardens 12,030 photos, 1,573 members
- New York City 703,785 photos, 52,354 members
- New York Photography 381,500 photos, 20,210 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 95,702 photos, 7,763 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York 4,151 photos, 267 members
- Museums & Galleries, NYC 600 photos, 80 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 20,743 photos, 2,452 members
- Masterworks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 4,971 photos, 295 members
- Explore Georgia 11,870 photos, 353 members
- Chastleton House and Garden 401 photos, 39 members
- Gibbs Gardens, GA 879 photos, 58 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,735 photos, 5,114 members
- Multi Colour CrAzY! (post 1 - comment 1) 6,276 photos, 414 members
- Lightroom Processing 71,639 photos, 1,853 members
- Adobe Lightroom 28,126 photos, 24,416 members
- CHANTICLEER 1,044 photos, 39 members
- Garden sculpture 1,214 photos, 162 members
- Philadelphia Area Arboretums 2,195 photos, 80 members
- NYBG Group 25,330 photos, 718 members
- American Horticultural Society Photo Contests 1,516 photos, 220 members
- Rye East Sussex 2,026 photos, 212 members
- Yahoo Your Pictures 104,820 photos, 3,713 members
- Rainbows.....PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION BEFORE POSTING 11,446 photos, 4,970 members
- rainbow 13,091 photos, 5,954 members
- Chicago Botanic Garden 10,008 photos, 539 members
- Unforgettable Landscapes(High Quality) 66,445 photos, 7,898 members
- Art Institute of Chicago 4,208 photos, 385 members
- Chicago... 138,879 photos, 8,540 members
- Naturalistic Garden and Wild Garden Design 4,368 photos, 435 members
- Your Kew 26,119 photos, 1,299 members
- Great Garden Galleries 111 photos, 51 members
- BBC Gardeners' World 29,213 photos, 1,786 members
- The Colours of: Spring 458,171 photos, 19,209 members
- Georgia Autumn 1,649 photos, 102 members
- Mushrooms and Fungi 44,007 photos, 3,195 members
"Stunning images from a very talented photographer. I could look at these for hours."
May 20th, 2009
AJK Photography says:
"Fabulous images of the country I call home and the USA ones are wonderful too. The English Tourist Board could use UGArdener's photos of England to promote England abroad."
January 18th, 2009
Patrick Henson says:
"Great photographs of the area I grew up in, North Georgia.
Check out UGAardner's stream for some excellent decay and nature photography."
November 16th, 2008
"A super collection of photos. I particularly like the landscapes of England capturing the beauty of the country well. I look forward to seeing many more."
October 16th, 2008
"Always captures very interesting photographs and the description is a useful addittion to the photo"
June 26th, 2008
M-J Turner says:
"**UGArdener is simply exceptional in his visions and ability to capture the beauty surrounding him.
The quantity of his work is simply astounding, especially when the beauty never seems to lose its magical touch.
Hope you are always there to brighten my time on Flickr, my friend**"
June 22nd, 2008
- JR P
- January 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken