An artist using photography as my medium but versed in intaglio, woodcut, lithography and collagraphs.
Art is art. It feeds on itself. It is emotion. It is opinion. It is revelation. It is revolution. It is political. It is classic. It is self serving. It is life. It is death. It is art.
Sweet dreams of memories long past will come around again to entertain you with details you missed the first time.
"Truth is written by the passage of time. The problem begins with interpretation by each man that thinks he can read what was written." TM Surratt, Jr. 8-6-09
A wise man once said;
Time moves. Pictures stay still.
Henri Cartier-Bresson once said, “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.”
I'm just beginning to feel the validity of this statement and find it hard to put in practice after spending all my photography career striving to make things tack sharp... I'm working on it as an artistic movement in my pictures but it's just not easy.
"Constant new discoveries in chemistry and optics are widening considerably our field of action. It is up to us to apply them to our technique, to improve ourselves, but there is a whole group of fetishes which have developed on the subject of technique. Technique is important only insofar as you must master it in order to communicate what you see… The camera for us is a tool, not a pretty mechanical toy. In the precise functioning of the mechanical object perhaps there is an unconscious compensation for the anxieties and uncertainties of daily endeavor. In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing."
— Henri Cartier-Bresson
"I found myself asking many questions, among them: what of equivalent value have we inherited in exchange for the original forest?"
--- Robert Adams
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso
Photos of TMSurrattPhotography (7)
- Weathered Windows and Doors 9,898 photos, 574 members
- deserted - no people 3,822 photos, 161 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 25,371 photos, 44,038 members
- ONE IN A MILLION: Legends In The Making by mariusvieth.com 23,465 photos, 1,173 members
- tuaw 12,848 photos, 2,880 members
- ThePhoblographer 112,177 photos, 3,522 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 362,624 photos, 4,312 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 10,985 photos, 13,479 members
- More Than Portraits 19,004 photos, 1,350 members
- Forefront Art 18,455 photos, 577 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 292,020 photos, 44,890 members
- Graves,Tombs and Graveyards 14,749 photos, 647 members
- Grave stones and Grave yards 51,136 photos, 1,811 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 28,794 photos, 15,724 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 32,234 photos, 1,550 members
- US Route 1, VA / NC / SC ONLY 87 photos, 15 members
- The NPR Jazz Photography Pool 1,062 photos, 103 members
- rotoballe 10,812 photos, 3,258 members
- Fence Photography 20,476 photos, 1,620 members
- Our State Magazine 23,108 photos, 509 members
- The Artist Interview Nook 83 photos, 190 members
- Fenced In 8,720 photos, 836 members
- don't fence me in 10,901 photos, 598 members
- Rural Darkness 12,286 photos, 1,042 members
- Fencehs Anonymous - we <3 fencehs 670 photos, 45 members
- Soulful Artists 6,229 photos, 202 members
- Fenced Friday 60,856 photos, 3,685 members
- Fench Friday 14,871 photos, 959 members
- PLANET EARTH SUNRISE SUNSETS 85,329 photos, 5,018 members
- Welcome To Oz 10,827 photos, 897 members
- Nature's Reclamation -- NOT a decay group! 12,120 photos, 1,013 members
- Your Very Best 72,454 photos, 2,424 members
- Antweaks Roadshow 382 photos, 24 members
- Stuff That Plays Music 1,848 photos, 75 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 200,592 photos, 10,191 members
- Sweet Soul Music 1,946 photos, 244 members
- Jazz Ladies 2,353 photos, 97 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,010 photos, 18,474 members
- Texture Squared 20,597 photos, 1,455 members
- Photography Is The Air My Soul Breathes 35,386 photos, 544 members
- Solitude 69,049 photos, 3,620 members
- World Portraits: Close Up, 1 Face 3,848 photos, 1,249 members
- Alternative Views 134,672 photos, 4,431 members
- Architecture of the Old South 4,484 photos, 153 members
- Worlds Largest Photography Project Ever 48 photos, 54 members
- Genie's Portrait Gallery ~ by Admin Invitation Post 1 - Award 2 2,586 photos, 344 members
- Ricks Pix 244 photos, 517 members
- Future Photo Art 5,669 photos, 290 members
- Historic Barns of the South 1,277 photos, 192 members
- Vanishing South 8,383 photos, 329 members
I enjoy very much touring your gallery friend. It is an awesome place for this Texan to take a look at your wonderful art , awesome sights and amazing portraits. Your natural ability to capture finish and present images in such a beautiful way is very generous of you...I am never disappointed when browsing your gallery and invite you'll to do the same.
A sense of history grandeur and respect for the past is evident and so well shared with us "history buffs" love for the country life in every aspect is captured well and presented elegantly and beautifully...sometimes your images take me back to my own childhood and therein lies the beauty of your gallery; the ability to move one's soul and be transported to another time...A wonderful time!
Pleas enjoy THE GALLERY and come back to let him know how much you've enjoyed his images...
Greetings from Texas my friend!
September 21st, 2010
"Tim is THE barn photographer extraordinaire here in Flickr, one of my most supportive and inspirational cyberfriend."
March 10th, 2011
Doug Logan Photography says:
"To even briefly glance at one of his portraits means that you have viewed the deepest reaches of that subject's being. I can now see why some cultures refuse to have their photographs taken for fear that the photographer will "steal" their soul. Tim has this uncanny gift to be able to capture the true soul of his subjects and present it to his audience. In a very short time of knowing him through Flickr and having the opportunity to have met him for only a few moments, I can also understand the depth of the artist who's eye sees the spirit of his focus.
What's even more amazing is Tim's ability to see the soul of an abandoned building or a deserted farm-scape. He continues to document "Americana" through his lens and shows us the essence of times gone by, but fortunately not forgotten!
I always look forward to seeing his new work as well as adaptations on older shots. Tim is truly an accomplished artist, seeing beyond light and shadow. But the great thing about him is his personal humility and outward humanity. Thanks for sharing yourself through your art and for being more than willing to lend positive thoughts or constructive criticisms to a new photographer!"
January 17th, 2010
- June 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken