An artist using photography as my medium but versed in intaglio, woodcut, lithography and collagraphs.
Art is art. It feeds on itself. It is emotion. It is opinion. It is revelation. It is revolution. It is political. It is classic. It is self serving. It is life. It is death. It is art.
Sweet dreams of memories long past will come around again to entertain you with details you missed the first time.
"Truth is written by the passage of time. The problem begins with interpretation by each man that thinks he can read what was written." TM Surratt, Jr. 8-6-09
A wise man once said;
Time moves. Pictures stay still.
Henri Cartier-Bresson once said, “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.”
I'm just beginning to feel the validity of this statement and find it hard to put in practice after spending all my photography career striving to make things tack sharp... I'm working on it as an artistic movement in my pictures but it's just not easy.
"Constant new discoveries in chemistry and optics are widening considerably our field of action. It is up to us to apply them to our technique, to improve ourselves, but there is a whole group of fetishes which have developed on the subject of technique. Technique is important only insofar as you must master it in order to communicate what you see… The camera for us is a tool, not a pretty mechanical toy. In the precise functioning of the mechanical object perhaps there is an unconscious compensation for the anxieties and uncertainties of daily endeavor. In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing."
— Henri Cartier-Bresson
"I found myself asking many questions, among them: what of equivalent value have we inherited in exchange for the original forest?"
--- Robert Adams
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso
Photos of TMSurrattPhotography (7)
- deserted - no people 3,338 photos, 146 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 25,437 photos, 44,148 members
- ONE IN A MILLION: Legends In The Making by mariusvieth.com 22,322 photos, 1,165 members
- tuaw 12,858 photos, 2,887 members
- ThePhoblographer 110,616 photos, 3,503 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 359,614 photos, 4,299 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,005 photos, 13,510 members
- More Than Portraits 18,659 photos, 1,334 members
- Forefront Art 18,035 photos, 576 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 290,505 photos, 44,419 members
- Graves,Tombs and Graveyards 14,522 photos, 643 members
- Grave stones and Grave yards 50,748 photos, 1,803 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 28,471 photos, 15,657 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 31,449 photos, 1,519 members
- US Route 1, VA / NC / SC ONLY 85 photos, 15 members
- The NPR Jazz Photography Pool 1,056 photos, 103 members
- rotoballe 10,796 photos, 3,260 members
- Fence Photography 20,067 photos, 1,601 members
- Our State Magazine 22,908 photos, 511 members
- The Artist Interview Nook 83 photos, 193 members
- Fenced In 8,582 photos, 832 members
- don't fence me in 10,784 photos, 595 members
- Rural Darkness 12,236 photos, 1,040 members
- Fencehs Anonymous - we <3 fencehs 669 photos, 45 members
- Soulful Artists 6,219 photos, 203 members
- Fenced Friday 59,962 photos, 3,627 members
- Fench Friday 14,770 photos, 957 members
- PLANET EARTH SUNRISE SUNSETS 83,804 photos, 5,000 members
- Welcome To Oz 10,685 photos, 896 members
- Nature's Reclamation -- NOT a decay group! 12,121 photos, 1,012 members
- Your Very Best 70,960 photos, 2,394 members
- Antweaks Roadshow 376 photos, 24 members
- Stuff That Plays Music 1,842 photos, 73 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 199,474 photos, 10,175 members
- Sweet Soul Music 1,937 photos, 243 members
- Jazz Ladies 2,320 photos, 97 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,025 photos, 18,501 members
- Texture Squared 20,547 photos, 1,457 members
- Photography Is The Air My Soul Breathes 35,107 photos, 543 members
- Solitude 68,581 photos, 3,608 members
- World Portraits: Close Up, 1 Face 3,877 photos, 1,250 members
- Alternative Views 133,241 photos, 4,430 members
- Architecture of the Old South 4,485 photos, 153 members
- Worlds Largest Photography Project Ever 48 photos, 54 members
- Genie's Portrait Gallery ~ by Admin Invitation Post 1 - Award 2 2,567 photos, 345 members
- Ricks Pix 244 photos, 517 members
- Future Photo Art 5,658 photos, 288 members
- Historic Barns of the South 1,272 photos, 191 members
- Vanishing South 8,306 photos, 328 members
- aPeeling Paint 32,476 photos, 2,498 members
I enjoy very much touring your gallery friend. It is an awesome place for this Texan to take a look at your wonderful art , awesome sights and amazing portraits. Your natural ability to capture finish and present images in such a beautiful way is very generous of you...I am never disappointed when browsing your gallery and invite you'll to do the same.
A sense of history grandeur and respect for the past is evident and so well shared with us "history buffs" love for the country life in every aspect is captured well and presented elegantly and beautifully...sometimes your images take me back to my own childhood and therein lies the beauty of your gallery; the ability to move one's soul and be transported to another time...A wonderful time!
Pleas enjoy THE GALLERY and come back to let him know how much you've enjoyed his images...
Greetings from Texas my friend!
September 21st, 2010
"Tim is THE barn photographer extraordinaire here in Flickr, one of my most supportive and inspirational cyberfriend."
March 10th, 2011
Doug Logan Photography says:
"To even briefly glance at one of his portraits means that you have viewed the deepest reaches of that subject's being. I can now see why some cultures refuse to have their photographs taken for fear that the photographer will "steal" their soul. Tim has this uncanny gift to be able to capture the true soul of his subjects and present it to his audience. In a very short time of knowing him through Flickr and having the opportunity to have met him for only a few moments, I can also understand the depth of the artist who's eye sees the spirit of his focus.
What's even more amazing is Tim's ability to see the soul of an abandoned building or a deserted farm-scape. He continues to document "Americana" through his lens and shows us the essence of times gone by, but fortunately not forgotten!
I always look forward to seeing his new work as well as adaptations on older shots. Tim is truly an accomplished artist, seeing beyond light and shadow. But the great thing about him is his personal humility and outward humanity. Thanks for sharing yourself through your art and for being more than willing to lend positive thoughts or constructive criticisms to a new photographer!"
January 17th, 2010
- June 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken