An artist using photography as my medium but versed in intaglio, woodcut, lithography and collagraphs.
Art is art. It feeds on itself. It is emotion. It is opinion. It is revelation. It is revolution. It is political. It is classic. It is self serving. It is life. It is death. It is art.
Sweet dreams of memories long past will come around again to entertain you with details you missed the first time.
"Truth is written by the passage of time. The problem begins with interpretation by each man that thinks he can read what was written." TM Surratt, Jr. 8-6-09
A wise man once said;
Time moves. Pictures stay still.
Henri Cartier-Bresson once said, “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.”
I'm just beginning to feel the validity of this statement and find it hard to put in practice after spending all my photography career striving to make things tack sharp... I'm working on it as an artistic movement in my pictures but it's just not easy.
"Constant new discoveries in chemistry and optics are widening considerably our field of action. It is up to us to apply them to our technique, to improve ourselves, but there is a whole group of fetishes which have developed on the subject of technique. Technique is important only insofar as you must master it in order to communicate what you see… The camera for us is a tool, not a pretty mechanical toy. In the precise functioning of the mechanical object perhaps there is an unconscious compensation for the anxieties and uncertainties of daily endeavor. In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing."
— Henri Cartier-Bresson
"I found myself asking many questions, among them: what of equivalent value have we inherited in exchange for the original forest?"
--- Robert Adams
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso
Photos of TMSurrattPhotography (7)
- ONE IN A MILLION: Legends In The Making by mariusvieth.com 8,543 photos, 922 members
- tuaw 13,001 photos, 2,915 members
- ThePhoblographer 81,676 photos, 3,246 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 320,344 photos, 4,239 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,085 photos, 13,875 members
- More Than Portraits 15,597 photos, 1,183 members
- Forefront Art 14,353 photos, 538 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 275,925 photos, 41,894 members
- Graves,Tombs and Graveyards 11,036 photos, 560 members
- Grave stones and Grave yards 45,817 photos, 1,695 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 24,112 photos, 14,695 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 23,831 photos, 1,258 members
- US Route 1, VA / NC / SC ONLY 78 photos, 14 members
- The NPR Jazz Photography Pool 858 photos, 97 members
- rotoballe 10,628 photos, 3,256 members
- Fence Photography 15,909 photos, 1,325 members
- Our State Magazine 20,514 photos, 488 members
- The Artist Interview Nook 85 photos, 197 members
- Fenced In 7,362 photos, 791 members
- don't fence me in 10,077 photos, 599 members
- Rural Darkness 11,558 photos, 1,022 members
- Fencehs Anonymous - we <3 fencehs 643 photos, 46 members
- Soulful Artists 5,821 photos, 202 members
- Fenced Friday 50,484 photos, 3,244 members
- Fench Friday 13,784 photos, 947 members
- PLANET EARTH SUNRISE SUNSETS 66,830 photos, 4,500 members
- Welcome To Oz 9,209 photos, 901 members
- Nature's Reclamation -- NOT a decay group! 12,331 photos, 1,015 members
- Your Very Best 56,188 photos, 2,089 members
- Antweaks Roadshow 361 photos, 24 members
- Stuff That Plays Music 1,740 photos, 65 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 185,079 photos, 9,714 members
- Sweet Soul Music 1,833 photos, 235 members
- Jazz Ladies 2,119 photos, 92 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,160 photos, 18,685 members
- Fascination Nostalgia 15,523 photos, 700 members
- Texture Squared 20,533 photos, 1,436 members
- Photography Is The Air My Soul Breathes 32,411 photos, 537 members
- Solitude 63,138 photos, 3,506 members
- World Portraits: Close Up, 1 Face 3,906 photos, 1,218 members
- Alternative Views 118,103 photos, 4,216 members
- Architecture of the Old South 4,524 photos, 154 members
- Worlds Largest Photography Project Ever 26 photos, 55 members
- Genie's Portrait Gallery ~ by Admin Invitation Post 1 - Award 2 2,157 photos, 303 members
- Ricks Pix 251 photos, 523 members
- Future Photo Art 5,504 photos, 283 members
- Historic Barns of the South 1,263 photos, 178 members
- Vanishing South 7,560 photos, 311 members
- aPeeling Paint 30,598 photos, 2,463 members
- Silent Decay USA: South-East 5,029 photos, 255 members
I enjoy very much touring your gallery friend. It is an awesome place for this Texan to take a look at your wonderful art , awesome sights and amazing portraits. Your natural ability to capture finish and present images in such a beautiful way is very generous of you...I am never disappointed when browsing your gallery and invite you'll to do the same.
A sense of history grandeur and respect for the past is evident and so well shared with us "history buffs" love for the country life in every aspect is captured well and presented elegantly and beautifully...sometimes your images take me back to my own childhood and therein lies the beauty of your gallery; the ability to move one's soul and be transported to another time...A wonderful time!
Pleas enjoy THE GALLERY and come back to let him know how much you've enjoyed his images...
Greetings from Texas my friend!
September 21st, 2010
"Tim is THE barn photographer extraordinaire here in Flickr, one of my most supportive and inspirational cyberfriend."
March 10th, 2011
Doug Logan Photography says:
"To even briefly glance at one of his portraits means that you have viewed the deepest reaches of that subject's being. I can now see why some cultures refuse to have their photographs taken for fear that the photographer will "steal" their soul. Tim has this uncanny gift to be able to capture the true soul of his subjects and present it to his audience. In a very short time of knowing him through Flickr and having the opportunity to have met him for only a few moments, I can also understand the depth of the artist who's eye sees the spirit of his focus.
What's even more amazing is Tim's ability to see the soul of an abandoned building or a deserted farm-scape. He continues to document "Americana" through his lens and shows us the essence of times gone by, but fortunately not forgotten!
I always look forward to seeing his new work as well as adaptations on older shots. Tim is truly an accomplished artist, seeing beyond light and shadow. But the great thing about him is his personal humility and outward humanity. Thanks for sharing yourself through your art and for being more than willing to lend positive thoughts or constructive criticisms to a new photographer!"
January 17th, 2010
- June 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken