An artist using photography as my medium but versed in intaglio, woodcut, lithography and collagraphs.
Art is art. It feeds on itself. It is emotion. It is opinion. It is revelation. It is revolution. It is political. It is classic. It is self serving. It is life. It is death. It is art.
Sweet dreams of memories long past will come around again to entertain you with details you missed the first time.
"Truth is written by the passage of time. The problem begins with interpretation by each man that thinks he can read what was written." TM Surratt, Jr. 8-6-09
A wise man once said;
Time moves. Pictures stay still.
Henri Cartier-Bresson once said, “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.”
I'm just beginning to feel the validity of this statement and find it hard to put in practice after spending all my photography career striving to make things tack sharp... I'm working on it as an artistic movement in my pictures but it's just not easy.
"Constant new discoveries in chemistry and optics are widening considerably our field of action. It is up to us to apply them to our technique, to improve ourselves, but there is a whole group of fetishes which have developed on the subject of technique. Technique is important only insofar as you must master it in order to communicate what you see… The camera for us is a tool, not a pretty mechanical toy. In the precise functioning of the mechanical object perhaps there is an unconscious compensation for the anxieties and uncertainties of daily endeavor. In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing."
— Henri Cartier-Bresson
"I found myself asking many questions, among them: what of equivalent value have we inherited in exchange for the original forest?"
--- Robert Adams
Photos of TMSurrattPhotography (8)
- ONE IN A MILLION: Unleash Your Creative Soul // mariusvieth.com 1,561 photos, 302 members
- tuaw 13,117 photos, 2,928 members
- ThePhoblographer 68,876 photos, 3,115 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 303,304 photos, 4,212 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,190 photos, 14,100 members
- More Than Portraits 13,822 photos, 1,072 members
- Forefront Art 12,741 photos, 523 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 269,451 photos, 40,210 members
- Graves,Tombs and Graveyards 10,639 photos, 533 members
- Grave stones and Grave yards 44,462 photos, 1,659 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 22,234 photos, 14,138 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 20,564 photos, 1,134 members
- US Route 1, VA / NC / SC ONLY 65 photos, 10 members
- The NPR Jazz Photography Pool 795 photos, 94 members
- rotoballe 10,505 photos, 3,244 members
- Fence Photography 14,304 photos, 1,201 members
- Our State Magazine 19,493 photos, 473 members
- The Artist Interview Nook 85 photos, 199 members
- Fenced In 6,816 photos, 756 members
- don't fence me in 9,753 photos, 598 members
- Rural Darkness 11,298 photos, 1,002 members
- Fencehs Anonymous - we <3 fencehs 678 photos, 45 members
- Soulful Artists 5,636 photos, 201 members
- Fenced Friday 46,746 photos, 3,058 members
- Fench Friday 13,457 photos, 939 members
- PLANET EARTH SUNRISE SUNSETS 58,263 photos, 4,108 members
- Welcome To Oz 8,658 photos, 899 members
- Nature's Reclamation -- NOT a decay group! 12,356 photos, 1,011 members
- Your Very Best 50,850 photos, 1,947 members
- Antweaks Roadshow 361 photos, 25 members
- Stuff That Plays Music 1,734 photos, 66 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 177,115 photos, 9,418 members
- Sweet Soul Music 1,697 photos, 229 members
- Jazz Ladies 1,988 photos, 87 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,228 photos, 18,790 members
- Fascination Nostalgia 15,035 photos, 678 members
- Texture Squared 20,073 photos, 1,423 members
- Photography Is The Air My Soul Breathes 31,434 photos, 533 members
- Solitude 60,986 photos, 3,458 members
- World Portraits: Close Up, 1 Face 3,929 photos, 1,202 members
- Alternative Views 111,948 photos, 4,069 members
- Architecture of the Old South 4,528 photos, 153 members
- Worlds Largest Photography Project Ever 24 photos, 55 members
- Genie's Portrait Gallery ~ by Admin Invitation Post 1 - Award 2 1,957 photos, 285 members
- Ricks Pix 251 photos, 525 members
- Future Photo Art 6,150 photos, 279 members
- Historic Barns of the South 1,250 photos, 170 members
- Vanishing South 7,392 photos, 306 members
- aPeeling Paint 30,011 photos, 2,433 members
- Silent Decay USA: South-East 4,759 photos, 246 members
I enjoy very much touring your gallery friend. It is an awesome place for this Texan to take a look at your wonderful art , awesome sights and amazing portraits. Your natural ability to capture finish and present images in such a beautiful way is very generous of you...I am never disappointed when browsing your gallery and invite you'll to do the same.
A sense of history grandeur and respect for the past is evident and so well shared with us "history buffs" love for the country life in every aspect is captured well and presented elegantly and beautifully...sometimes your images take me back to my own childhood and therein lies the beauty of your gallery; the ability to move one's soul and be transported to another time...A wonderful time!
Pleas enjoy THE GALLERY and come back to let him know how much you've enjoyed his images...
Greetings from Texas my friend!
September 21st, 2010
"Tim is THE barn photographer extraordinaire here in Flickr, one of my most supportive and inspirational cyberfriend."
March 10th, 2011
Doug Logan Photography says:
"To even briefly glance at one of his portraits means that you have viewed the deepest reaches of that subject's being. I can now see why some cultures refuse to have their photographs taken for fear that the photographer will "steal" their soul. Tim has this uncanny gift to be able to capture the true soul of his subjects and present it to his audience. In a very short time of knowing him through Flickr and having the opportunity to have met him for only a few moments, I can also understand the depth of the artist who's eye sees the spirit of his focus.
What's even more amazing is Tim's ability to see the soul of an abandoned building or a deserted farm-scape. He continues to document "Americana" through his lens and shows us the essence of times gone by, but fortunately not forgotten!
I always look forward to seeing his new work as well as adaptations on older shots. Tim is truly an accomplished artist, seeing beyond light and shadow. But the great thing about him is his personal humility and outward humanity. Thanks for sharing yourself through your art and for being more than willing to lend positive thoughts or constructive criticisms to a new photographer!"
January 17th, 2010
- June 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken