Select photos from my collection are now available for sale at ImageKind.
My passion for place drives my photographic interests. I'm interested in all that makes a particular area unique and worth visiting, starting with the place's history. But not history solely in terms of political and business leaders of a century ago and the grand buildings and monuments they left behind. I enjoy these, but generally they have already been well documented in terms of photography and research. I'm more excited about the sort of things that a historical preservation committee would be likely to ignore, but that any local would instantly recognize, like a unique service station building, a rusting neon sign from the 1930s for a dive bar, or even a popular sandwich from a cafe that they have been serving up for the last 40 years.
My subjects aren't limited to cultural artifacts, however. I also like to get out and hike and photograph the natural wonders that each region has to offer. Living in Northern California has been a real blessing in that regard, with the dramatic beauty of the northern coast and the Sierra Nevada, and the more subtle and serene charms of the foothills and Central Valley.
I recently moved from Sacramento to Napa, and am excited to explore new areas and dive into much greater depth in exploring areas I have visited all too briefly before. I never know what it's going to be, but I always know that I'm going to run into something that excites and that I wish to share with everyone else who takes the time to look at my photographs.
E-mail: tom [at] tomspaulding [dot] net
- Sidewalks (dates and names) 726 photos, 70 members
- Signs of Sacramento 1,023 photos, 53 members
- Chicago Architecture 45,541 photos, 2,854 members
- Route 66 42,931 photos, 3,031 members
- Coffee 24/7 9,189 photos, 1,616 members
- Arby's Big Hat Signs 249 photos, 108 members
- Sign of the Frog (Giant Frogs/Toads and Signage) 102 photos, 230 members
- US Route 10 233 photos, 29 members
- Magnolia Historic Preservation District, Stockton CA 25 photos, 38 members
- Opal Glass signs 99 photos, 43 members
- Roundup, Montana 79 photos, 13 members
- pebble balancing 3,169 photos, 541 members
- Crocker Art Museum 325 photos, 35 members
- Sacramento Landscapes Photo Contest 38 photos, 135 members
- Sign of the Fish (Giant Fish and Signage) 200 photos, 32 members
- Lost Neon Treasures (Vintage) 1,105 photos, 206 members
- Sign of the Horse (Giant Horses & Signage) 281 photos, 220 members
- US Route 35 104 photos, 31 members
- Mendocino County, California 7,300 photos, 501 members
- Solano County, California 1,575 photos, 49 members
- Tastee-Freez 133 photos, 57 members
- The Coffee Bar 22,926 photos, 5,416 members
- fall foliage 31,592 photos, 2,288 members
- Adirondacks 12,956 photos, 1,204 members
- Howard Johnson's 832 photos, 133 members
- Liquor Signs - Neon, Painted, Plastic Liquor Store & Bar Signs 2,098 photos, 314 members
- Safeway 1,232 photos, 157 members
- Vallejo, CA 2,032 photos, 103 members
- The Napa Valley Photographic Society 93 photos, 20 members
- Lake County California 746 photos, 56 members
- Gott's Roadside, San Francisco 62 photos, 11 members
- Gott's Roadside, Saint Helena 79 photos, 12 members
- Gott's Roadside, Napa 35 photos, 8 members
- George Nelson 405 photos, 133 members
- Iced Coffee 68 photos, 20 members
- Due Process 3,620 photos, 714 members
- Oakland LOST+FOUND Photo Show 52 photos, 7 members
- Iceland Ice-Skating Rink Memorial 45 photos, 19 members
- Napa 7,176 photos, 496 members
- Vines and Vineyards 32,962 photos, 4,114 members
- Sign of the Pig (Giant Pigs and Signage) 401 photos, 244 members
- Neon Puddles 63 photos, 52 members
- Sign of the Chicken (Giant Chickens & Signage) 446 photos, 108 members
- Bi-Passed 49 photos, 21 members
- *Oregon Vintage Signs ONLY!* 522 photos, 54 members
- The Awful Awful 14 photos, 15 members
- Roadside News 430 photos, 100 members
- Faux Famous 44 photos, 21 members
- Indigestion Friday 1,114 photos, 83 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 324,117 photos, 23,052 members
Jeremy Brooks says:
"Tom has one of the best collections of neon signs that I have come across. Not only are the photos beautiful, he has taken the time to do research on them and give us some history. A modern urban historian!"
July 20th, 2009
Thomas Hawk says:
"Tom Spaulding is an inspiration to all who would shoot the beautiful world of yesteryear. He has one of the finest collections of neon signs on Flickr or anywhere for that matter. More than just the signs though, Tom researches. He generously shares with the world what he learns and what he finds. I find it a treat to see each new part of yesterday's world that he continuously brings us week in and week out. Thanks Tom."
November 15th, 2008
"I have no idea how he does it, but being a non-native Californian, Tom definitely outdoes many others when it comes to his knowledge of the region, its history, and best places to grab a burger. The sheer amount of images he contributes ensures that California's (and Sacramento's especially) changing landscape is fully documented in images. His passion for it shows the moment you meet him on one of his frequent photowalks."
August 22nd, 2008
"Sacramento and Central California are lucky to have an urban archeologist like Tom as a resident. He finds the hidden treasures that time has passed up. Not only photographing and keeping an archive, but actually taking time to research subjects.
Even at times like now where I find myself too busy to check out flickr, I at least make time for photos from tspauld!"
March 24th, 2007
Carrie Taylor says:
"Tom's photos are inspiring and interesting. With camera in hand, he documents the details of life masterfully. His sets are well thought out and colorful. From his neon sign photos to his cheeseburger shots, he displays plenty of cool images to stimulate the senses."
December 5th, 2006
Basuraman (Dan) says:
"Looking at tspauld's sign pictures has inspired me to go out a "just shoot." What tspauld does takes effort, time and thought. All of these make me want to shoot more. Thank you."
October 18th, 2006
- Tom Spaulding
- June 2005
- Napa, CA, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- My blog: The NorCal Explorer