Select photos from my collection are now available for sale at ImageKind.
My passion for place drives my photographic interests. I'm interested in all that makes a particular area unique and worth visiting, starting with the place's history. But not history solely in terms of political and business leaders of a century ago and the grand buildings and monuments they left behind. I enjoy these, but generally they have already been well documented in terms of photography and research. I'm more excited about the sort of things that a historical preservation committee would be likely to ignore, but that any local would instantly recognize, like a unique service station building, a rusting neon sign from the 1930s for a dive bar, or even a popular sandwich from a cafe that they have been serving up for the last 40 years.
My subjects aren't limited to cultural artifacts, however. I also like to get out and hike and photograph the natural wonders that each region has to offer. Living in Northern California has been a real blessing in that regard, with the dramatic beauty of the northern coast and the Sierra Nevada, and the more subtle and serene charms of the foothills and Central Valley.
I recently moved from Sacramento to Napa, and am excited to explore new areas and dive into much greater depth in exploring areas I have visited all too briefly before. I never know what it's going to be, but I always know that I'm going to run into something that excites and that I wish to share with everyone else who takes the time to look at my photographs.
E-mail: tom [at] tomspaulding [dot] net
- Sidewalks (dates and names) 852 photos, 68 members
- Signs of Sacramento 973 photos, 52 members
- Chicago Architecture 42,732 photos, 2,728 members
- Route 66 41,457 photos, 2,960 members
- Coffee 24/7 8,378 photos, 1,462 members
- Arby's Big Hat Signs 244 photos, 107 members
- Sign of the Frog (Giant Frogs/Toads and Signage) 100 photos, 231 members
- US Route 10 233 photos, 27 members
- Magnolia Historic Preservation District, Stockton CA 25 photos, 37 members
- Opal Glass signs 94 photos, 43 members
- Roundup, Montana 83 photos, 13 members
- pebble balancing 3,083 photos, 536 members
- Crocker Art Museum 314 photos, 34 members
- Sacramento Landscapes Photo Contest 38 photos, 135 members
- Sign of the Fish (Giant Fish and Signage) 197 photos, 30 members
- Lost Neon Treasures (Vintage) 912 photos, 200 members
- Sign of the Horse (Giant Horses & Signage) 279 photos, 219 members
- US Route 35 98 photos, 27 members
- Mendocino County, California 7,141 photos, 497 members
- Solano County, California 1,565 photos, 47 members
- Tastee-Freez 127 photos, 57 members
- The Coffee Bar 22,444 photos, 5,330 members
- fall foliage 28,219 photos, 2,116 members
- Adirondacks 12,241 photos, 1,176 members
- Howard Johnson's 799 photos, 126 members
- Liquor Signs - Neon, Painted, Plastic Liquor Store & Bar Signs 2,069 photos, 307 members
- Safeway 1,316 photos, 152 members
- Vallejo, CA 2,010 photos, 100 members
- The Napa Valley Photographic Society 93 photos, 20 members
- Lake County California 697 photos, 52 members
- Gott's Roadside, San Francisco 62 photos, 11 members
- Gott's Roadside, Saint Helena 79 photos, 12 members
- Gott's Roadside, Napa 35 photos, 8 members
- George Nelson 402 photos, 131 members
- Iced Coffee 66 photos, 20 members
- Due Process 3,538 photos, 715 members
- Oakland LOST+FOUND Photo Show 52 photos, 7 members
- Iceland Ice-Skating Rink Memorial 45 photos, 19 members
- Napa 6,847 photos, 489 members
- Vines and Vineyards 31,962 photos, 4,020 members
- Sign of the Pig (Giant Pigs and Signage) 394 photos, 243 members
- Neon Puddles 56 photos, 51 members
- Sign of the Chicken (Giant Chickens & Signage) 320 photos, 104 members
- Bi-Passed 49 photos, 21 members
- *Oregon Vintage Signs ONLY!* 516 photos, 51 members
- The Awful Awful 14 photos, 15 members
- Roadside News 427 photos, 98 members
- Faux Famous 43 photos, 21 members
- Indigestion Friday 1,093 photos, 82 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 309,428 photos, 22,496 members
Jeremy Brooks says:
"Tom has one of the best collections of neon signs that I have come across. Not only are the photos beautiful, he has taken the time to do research on them and give us some history. A modern urban historian!"
July 20th, 2009
Thomas Hawk says:
"Tom Spaulding is an inspiration to all who would shoot the beautiful world of yesteryear. He has one of the finest collections of neon signs on Flickr or anywhere for that matter. More than just the signs though, Tom researches. He generously shares with the world what he learns and what he finds. I find it a treat to see each new part of yesterday's world that he continuously brings us week in and week out. Thanks Tom."
November 15th, 2008
"I have no idea how he does it, but being a non-native Californian, Tom definitely outdoes many others when it comes to his knowledge of the region, its history, and best places to grab a burger. The sheer amount of images he contributes ensures that California's (and Sacramento's especially) changing landscape is fully documented in images. His passion for it shows the moment you meet him on one of his frequent photowalks."
August 22nd, 2008
"Sacramento and Central California are lucky to have an urban archeologist like Tom as a resident. He finds the hidden treasures that time has passed up. Not only photographing and keeping an archive, but actually taking time to research subjects.
Even at times like now where I find myself too busy to check out flickr, I at least make time for photos from tspauld!"
March 24th, 2007
Carrie Taylor says:
"Tom's photos are inspiring and interesting. With camera in hand, he documents the details of life masterfully. His sets are well thought out and colorful. From his neon sign photos to his cheeseburger shots, he displays plenty of cool images to stimulate the senses."
December 5th, 2006
Basuraman (Dan) says:
"Looking at tspauld's sign pictures has inspired me to go out a "just shoot." What tspauld does takes effort, time and thought. All of these make me want to shoot more. Thank you."
October 18th, 2006
- Tom Spaulding
- June 2005
- Napa, CA, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- My blog: The NorCal Explorer