Thanks for stopping by!
I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for my work with the Encyclopedia of Life. Thanks to all of you who release your images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say. I don't participate in groups that require commenting.
See my "most interesting" photos on Flickriver.
I also log my observations of organisms on iNaturalist.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. I generally don't catch or confine animals, but I do admit to relentless pursuit and mild harassment of reluctant subjects.
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one of these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around and I miss the flexibility of the superzoom. I get better shots with my point & shoot, so this baby has been sitting in the back of the closet.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - Currently my favorite toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. The Raynox works incredibly well with the extreme zoom, and I can finally get pictures of all the tiny things I see. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (9)
- TDWG16 250 photos, 16 members
- Parasitic Wasps 1,189 photos, 92 members
- Best 1000 Free Pictures 1,056 photos, 647 members
- Canon PowerShot G3X 6,368 photos, 227 members
- PoPville Photos 41,693 photos, 1,358 members
- Biodiversity of Central America / Biodiversidad de Centroamerica 7,559 photos, 207 members
- Rock Creek Park (DC MD) 1,744 photos, 133 members
- Citizen Science Projects 1,144 photos, 34 members
- National Moth Week 66,023 photos, 1,032 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 57,541 photos, 8,388 members
- Citizen Science Open Image 135 photos, 44 members
- Heteroptera from the Iberian Peninsula 871 photos, 54 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,026 photos, 1,768 members
- Monarch Watch 335 photos, 63 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2016 948,809 photos, 89,038 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 35,204 photos, 7,260 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 1,629 photos, 197 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,790 photos, 195 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,491 members
- Diptera 17,431 photos, 485 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 714 photos, 193 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,657 photos, 15 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 2,540 photos, 131 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 157 photos, 70 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,850 photos, 276 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 52,257 photos, 7,096 members
- silhouette 390,381 photos, 61,791 members
- Zingiberales 1,491 photos, 95 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 3,415 photos, 326 members
- Mantis Gallery 7,449 photos, 1,290 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 15,630 photos, 1,239 members
- Bird Videos 6,115 photos, 809 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 4,732 photos, 1,035 members
- Passiflora 4,921 photos, 801 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 39,589 photos, 3,980 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 / SX60 75,346 photos, 2,496 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT SX Cameras : SX1 ... SX40 ... SX60" 46,269 photos, 1,247 members
- Economic Botany 3,768 photos, 148 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 2,137 photos, 173 members
- Insect Macro Photography 583,597 photos, 31,156 members
- Eye for Science 3,066 photos, 169 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 286 photos, 27 members
- BugShot 2011 268 photos, 31 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 20,589 photos, 570 members
- Odonata 42,850 photos, 1,441 members
- Salticidae 15,583 photos, 765 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 780 photos, 80 members
- Slime Molds 4,348 photos, 429 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 9,334 photos, 700 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life