Thanks for stopping by!
I am the species pages coordinator for the Encyclopedia of Life and the managing editor for the Tree of Life Web Project. I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for our projects.
Thanks to all of you who release their images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say, however trivial it may be. I don't participate in groups that require commenting.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. Check out my observations on
– View treegrow's observations »
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around, and I really miss the flexibility of the superzoom point & shoots.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - My newest toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (8)
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 888 photos, 1,986 members
- Monarch Watch 140 photos, 26 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography 2014 918,602 photos, 77,634 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 23,607 photos, 5,802 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 756 photos, 96 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,362 photos, 151 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,851 members
- Diptera 11,245 photos, 356 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 602 photos, 146 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,056 photos, 12 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 1,462 photos, 100 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 95 photos, 55 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,020 photos, 233 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 42,568 photos, 6,215 members
- silhouette 322,294 photos, 45,492 members
- Zingiberales 794 photos, 78 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,282 photos, 245 members
- Mantis Gallery 5,157 photos, 1,016 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 14,092 photos, 1,170 members
- Bird Videos 3,766 photos, 560 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 3,987 photos, 907 members
- Passiflora 3,784 photos, 731 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 31,617 photos, 3,264 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 47,749 photos, 2,241 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT : SX1 IS / ...... / SX40/ SX50 " 22,857 photos, 911 members
- Economic Botany 3,108 photos, 134 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,527 photos, 144 members
- Insect Macro Photography 418,602 photos, 27,097 members
- Eye for Science 2,677 photos, 130 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 288 photos, 26 members
- BugShot 2011 269 photos, 29 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 12,972 photos, 434 members
- Odonata 27,946 photos, 1,131 members
- Salticidae 10,215 photos, 639 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 495 photos, 68 members
- Slime Molds 2,231 photos, 333 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 6,677 photos, 578 members
- Hover Fly 7,601 photos, 679 members
- For The Love Of Dragonflies 42,794 photos, 4,756 members
- Backpacking and Hiking pictures 17,050 photos, 1,216 members
- Cerambycidae - Longhorn Beetles 2,446 photos, 232 members
- Buprestidae - Jewel Beetles 766 photos, 112 members
- Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro 15,894 photos, 1,271 members
- Canon on a budget 13,507 photos, 449 members
- Moths of the eastern United States 5,336 photos, 298 members
- Nature + Education 8,142 photos, 211 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM 90,758 photos, 6,703 members
- Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo 20,505 photos, 1,297 members
- Cats Cats Cats 372,761 photos, 25,838 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life