Thanks for stopping by!
I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for my work with the Encyclopedia of Life. Thanks to all of you who release your images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say. I don't participate in groups that require commenting. I also log my observations of organisms on iNaturalist.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. See my "most interesting" photos on Flickriver.
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around, I get better shots with my point & shoot.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - Currently my favorite toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. The Raynox works incredibly well with the extreme zoom, and I can finally get pictures of all the tiny things I see. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (8)
- Canon PowerShot G3X 1,678 photos, 110 members
- PoPville Photos 34,855 photos, 1,235 members
- Biodiversity of Central America / Biodiversidad de Centroamerica 6,604 photos, 186 members
- Rock Creek Park (DC MD) 1,661 photos, 126 members
- Citizen Science Projects 1,125 photos, 31 members
- National Moth Week 846 photos, 128 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 53,276 photos, 7,936 members
- Citizen Science Open Image 134 photos, 43 members
- Heteroptera from the Iberian Peninsula 426 photos, 47 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,001 photos, 1,854 members
- Monarch Watch 279 photos, 45 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography 2015 931,193 photos, 85,086 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 30,247 photos, 6,736 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 1,084 photos, 144 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,623 photos, 184 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,651 members
- Diptera 13,390 photos, 420 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 656 photos, 171 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,404 photos, 14 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 2,087 photos, 115 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 120 photos, 65 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,370 photos, 266 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 48,688 photos, 6,820 members
- silhouette 364,216 photos, 55,653 members
- Zingiberales 1,121 photos, 87 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,797 photos, 291 members
- Mantis Gallery 6,788 photos, 1,196 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 15,216 photos, 1,223 members
- Bird Videos 4,780 photos, 699 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 4,430 photos, 981 members
- Passiflora 4,515 photos, 779 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 36,866 photos, 3,731 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 64,986 photos, 2,457 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT SX Cameras : SX1 ... SX40 ... SX60" 36,484 photos, 1,131 members
- Economic Botany 3,415 photos, 137 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,916 photos, 161 members
- Insect Macro Photography 517,768 photos, 29,665 members
- Eye for Science 2,960 photos, 149 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 288 photos, 26 members
- BugShot 2011 271 photos, 30 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 17,164 photos, 510 members
- Odonata 37,092 photos, 1,324 members
- Salticidae 12,977 photos, 711 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 548 photos, 72 members
- Slime Molds 3,245 photos, 388 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 7,922 photos, 648 members
- Hover Fly 9,659 photos, 753 members
- For The Love Of Dragonflies 57,285 photos, 5,612 members
- Backpacking and Hiking pictures 22,452 photos, 1,363 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life