Thanks for stopping by!
I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for my work with the Encyclopedia of Life. Thanks to all of you who release your images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say. I don't participate in groups that require commenting.
See my "most interesting" photos on Flickriver.
I also log my observations of organisms on iNaturalist.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. I generally don't catch or confine animals, but I do admit to relentless pursuit and mild harassment of reluctant subjects.
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one of these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around and I miss the flexibility of the superzoom. I get better shots with my point & shoot, so this baby has been sitting in the back of the closet.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - Currently my favorite toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. The Raynox works incredibly well with the extreme zoom, and I can finally get pictures of all the tiny things I see. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (9)
- TDWG16 126 photos, 8 members
- Parasitic Wasps 1,034 photos, 85 members
- Best 1000 Free Pictures 1,054 photos, 629 members
- Canon PowerShot G3X 5,623 photos, 207 members
- PoPville Photos 40,101 photos, 1,335 members
- Biodiversity of Central America / Biodiversidad de Centroamerica 7,453 photos, 200 members
- Rock Creek Park (DC MD) 1,705 photos, 134 members
- Citizen Science Projects 1,143 photos, 33 members
- National Moth Week 64,120 photos, 1,013 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 56,955 photos, 8,340 members
- Citizen Science Open Image 135 photos, 44 members
- Heteroptera from the Iberian Peninsula 836 photos, 52 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,622 photos, 1,788 members
- Monarch Watch 335 photos, 63 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2016 951,146 photos, 88,737 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 34,489 photos, 7,215 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 1,562 photos, 186 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,761 photos, 195 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,535 members
- Diptera 16,855 photos, 476 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 715 photos, 189 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,639 photos, 15 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 2,501 photos, 127 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 152 photos, 69 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,812 photos, 275 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 51,888 photos, 7,057 members
- silhouette 386,028 photos, 61,168 members
- Zingiberales 1,476 photos, 92 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 3,375 photos, 330 members
- Mantis Gallery 7,308 photos, 1,282 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 15,563 photos, 1,234 members
- Bird Videos 5,904 photos, 792 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 4,692 photos, 1,022 members
- Passiflora 4,891 photos, 802 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 39,154 photos, 3,949 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 / SX60 73,866 photos, 2,489 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT SX Cameras : SX1 ... SX40 ... SX60" 45,033 photos, 1,207 members
- Economic Botany 3,707 photos, 146 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,948 photos, 172 members
- Insect Macro Photography 576,059 photos, 30,992 members
- Eye for Science 3,030 photos, 164 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 286 photos, 27 members
- BugShot 2011 271 photos, 31 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 19,521 photos, 557 members
- Odonata 42,242 photos, 1,435 members
- Salticidae 15,155 photos, 757 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 723 photos, 79 members
- Slime Molds 4,197 photos, 417 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 8,923 photos, 692 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life