Thanks for stopping by!
I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for my work with the Encyclopedia of Life. Thanks to all of you who release your images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say. I don't participate in groups that require commenting.
See my "most interesting" photos on Flickriver.
I also log my observations of organisms on iNaturalist.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. I generally don't catch or confine animals, but I do admit to relentless pursuit and mild harassment of reluctant subjects.
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one of these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around and I miss the flexibility of the superzoom. I get better shots with my point & shoot, so this baby has been sitting in the back of the closet.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - Currently my favorite toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. The Raynox works incredibly well with the extreme zoom, and I can finally get pictures of all the tiny things I see. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (8)
- Parasitic Wasps 927 photos, 81 members
- Best 1000 Free Pictures 1,056 photos, 610 members
- Canon PowerShot G3X 5,110 photos, 197 members
- PoPville Photos 39,322 photos, 1,327 members
- Biodiversity of Central America / Biodiversidad de Centroamerica 7,378 photos, 199 members
- Rock Creek Park (DC MD) 1,672 photos, 132 members
- Citizen Science Projects 1,125 photos, 32 members
- National Moth Week 62,619 photos, 1,011 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 57,225 photos, 8,301 members
- Citizen Science Open Image 135 photos, 44 members
- Heteroptera from the Iberian Peninsula 835 photos, 52 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,354 photos, 1,797 members
- Monarch Watch 325 photos, 61 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2016 950,315 photos, 88,488 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 34,119 photos, 7,183 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 1,272 photos, 182 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,748 photos, 194 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,546 members
- Diptera 16,625 photos, 469 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 698 photos, 187 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,598 photos, 15 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 2,466 photos, 127 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 148 photos, 69 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,758 photos, 274 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 51,684 photos, 7,041 members
- silhouette 383,921 photos, 60,819 members
- Zingiberales 1,445 photos, 91 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 3,343 photos, 328 members
- Mantis Gallery 7,213 photos, 1,264 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 15,523 photos, 1,235 members
- Bird Videos 5,786 photos, 777 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 4,661 photos, 1,021 members
- Passiflora 4,858 photos, 798 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 38,825 photos, 3,933 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 / SX60 72,975 photos, 2,483 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT SX Cameras : SX1 ... SX40 ... SX60" 44,333 photos, 1,203 members
- Economic Botany 3,672 photos, 146 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,934 photos, 170 members
- Insect Macro Photography 571,269 photos, 30,861 members
- Eye for Science 3,031 photos, 163 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 286 photos, 27 members
- BugShot 2011 271 photos, 31 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 19,235 photos, 553 members
- Odonata 41,920 photos, 1,423 members
- Salticidae 14,893 photos, 752 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 695 photos, 79 members
- Slime Molds 4,011 photos, 416 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 8,777 photos, 689 members
- Hover Fly 10,421 photos, 793 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life