Thanks for stopping by!
I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for my work with the Encyclopedia of Life. Thanks to all of you who release your images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say. I don't participate in groups that require commenting. I also log my observations of organisms on iNaturalist.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated. See my "most interesting" photos on Flickriver.
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around, I get better shots with my point & shoot.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - Currently my favorite toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. The Raynox works incredibly well with the extreme zoom, and I can finally get pictures of all the tiny things I see. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (8)
- Best 1000 Free Pictures 992 photos, 389 members
- Canon PowerShot G3X 2,042 photos, 136 members
- PoPville Photos 36,131 photos, 1,267 members
- Biodiversity of Central America / Biodiversidad de Centroamerica 6,813 photos, 191 members
- Rock Creek Park (DC MD) 1,669 photos, 129 members
- Citizen Science Projects 1,125 photos, 32 members
- National Moth Week 3,214 photos, 222 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 54,000 photos, 7,991 members
- Citizen Science Open Image 134 photos, 44 members
- Heteroptera from the Iberian Peninsula 491 photos, 50 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,075 photos, 1,846 members
- Monarch Watch 282 photos, 46 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2016 933,196 photos, 85,919 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 30,832 photos, 6,800 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 1,124 photos, 147 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,634 photos, 185 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,625 members
- Diptera 13,711 photos, 429 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 696 photos, 180 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,405 photos, 14 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 2,215 photos, 117 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 118 photos, 66 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,592 photos, 270 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 49,109 photos, 6,872 members
- silhouette 366,586 photos, 56,833 members
- Zingiberales 1,374 photos, 89 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,895 photos, 294 members
- Mantis Gallery 6,859 photos, 1,203 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 15,307 photos, 1,225 members
- Bird Videos 5,074 photos, 718 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 4,476 photos, 985 members
- Passiflora 4,568 photos, 785 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 37,171 photos, 3,766 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 / SX60 66,373 photos, 2,471 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT SX Cameras : SX1 ... SX40 ... SX60" 38,092 photos, 1,152 members
- Economic Botany 3,444 photos, 137 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,936 photos, 165 members
- Insect Macro Photography 522,365 photos, 29,806 members
- Eye for Science 2,958 photos, 155 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 288 photos, 27 members
- BugShot 2011 271 photos, 30 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 17,823 photos, 522 members
- Odonata 37,499 photos, 1,334 members
- Salticidae 13,340 photos, 719 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 588 photos, 75 members
- Slime Molds 3,332 photos, 396 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 8,067 photos, 656 members
- Hover Fly 9,724 photos, 753 members
- For The Love Of Dragonflies 57,923 photos, 5,645 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life