Thanks for stopping by!
I use Flickr both for pleasure and for finding images for my work with the Encyclopedia of Life. Thanks to all of you who release your images of organisms under creative commons licenses. You have made my job a lot easier and a lot more fun during the last few years.
If I have made you a contact, it's either because I know you personally or I'm enthralled by your photostream or both. If I favorite one of your photos, that means I really really really like it, and I'll probably come back to look at it every once in a while. I usually leave comments only if I have something to say. I don't participate in groups that require commenting. I also log my observations of organisms on iNaturalist.
All of my animal photos are of wild individuals in their natural habitat unless otherwise indicated.
Cameras I have owned:
Olympus OM-2N - Very first camera, bought when I was a student with a bunch of macro accessories, got stolen when I lived in Providence, Rhode Island. Dangerous place!
Olympus OM-4T - Replacement provided by the insurance company for the OM 2N, great deal!
Olympus OM-1 - Travel camera. Sold all my film camera gear for a nickel and a dime when I moved from AZ to DC.
Canon PowerShot S2 IS - Very first digital camera, dearly beloved, wonderful performance in the macro range. Was still going strong when I gave it away after upgrading to the SX10 IS.
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - Longer zoom, more megapixels, wider ISO range than the S2 IS, but alas not as much fun to shoot with. Also has the dreaded lens error every so often.
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS - Since the SX10 IS is kind of heavy & bulky, I wanted a small camera to always have with me. This is a beautiful camera, but the macro performance was disappointing, so I gave it to my sister
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 - Replacement for the SX210, definitely better macro range. Doesn't look and feel as nice as the SX210.
Canon EOS 400D - My first DSLR, a hand-me-down from a family member, shutter went bust after a few months.
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - Bought a used one these to replace the 400D. Still not sure about the DSLR thing though. It's a lot of weight to carry around, I get better shots with my point & shoot.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - Currently my favorite toy, with a 36x zoom. Also got a Raynox 250 and a flash for macro shots. The Raynox works incredibly well with the extreme zoom, and I can finally get pictures of all the tiny things I see. Endless hours of fun!
Photos of treegrow (8)
- Canon PowerShot G3X 724 photos, 75 members
- PoPville Photos 33,752 photos, 1,217 members
- Biodiversity of Central America / Biodiversidad de Centroamerica 6,496 photos, 184 members
- Rock Creek Park (DC MD) 1,630 photos, 125 members
- Citizen Science Projects 1,125 photos, 31 members
- National Moth Week 815 photos, 128 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 52,501 photos, 7,884 members
- Citizen Science Open Image 134 photos, 41 members
- Heteroptera from the Iberian Peninsula 402 photos, 46 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 985 photos, 1,862 members
- Monarch Watch 275 photos, 45 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography 2015 928,616 photos, 84,331 members
- Frogs, Frogs, Frogs 29,670 photos, 6,672 members
- Nature & Wildlife Videos 1,038 photos, 139 members
- Coreoidea of the World (Hemiptera: Heteroptera) 2,614 photos, 183 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,674 members
- Diptera 13,112 photos, 418 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 630 photos, 171 members
- Grasshoppers, Crickets and Katydids of the Western US 1,355 photos, 14 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 2,039 photos, 115 members
- Wacky Macro Rigs 119 photos, 66 members
- Bioparc Valencia 2,340 photos, 265 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 48,263 photos, 6,786 members
- silhouette 361,198 photos, 54,820 members
- Zingiberales 959 photos, 86 members
- Asilidae (Robberflies) 2,755 photos, 287 members
- Mantis Gallery 6,612 photos, 1,180 members
- National Zoo (US) in Washington D.C. 15,182 photos, 1,223 members
- Bird Videos 4,672 photos, 678 members
- Myriapoda (Centipedes, Millipedes, Etc.) 4,355 photos, 967 members
- Passiflora 4,488 photos, 776 members
- RAYNOX DCR250 36,547 photos, 3,707 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 63,655 photos, 2,447 members
- "CANON POWERSHOT SX Cameras : SX1 ... SX40 ... SX60" 34,549 photos, 1,114 members
- Economic Botany 3,378 photos, 137 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz Oct 21-22 - SOCIAL - FUN PHOTOS 318 photos, 17 members
- Plant Galls 1,879 photos, 159 members
- Insect Macro Photography 511,403 photos, 29,499 members
- Eye for Science 2,930 photos, 146 members
- SaguaroNPS BioBlitz 288 photos, 26 members
- BugShot 2011 271 photos, 30 members
- BIRDS of the SOUTHWEST US 16,763 photos, 502 members
- Odonata 36,435 photos, 1,311 members
- Salticidae 12,530 photos, 708 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 544 photos, 73 members
- Slime Molds 3,145 photos, 382 members
- Flora nativa de los Andes y Chile 7,582 photos, 641 members
- Hover Fly 9,590 photos, 749 members
- For The Love Of Dragonflies 56,616 photos, 5,578 members
- Backpacking and Hiking pictures 21,521 photos, 1,350 members
treegrow doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Katja Schulz
- August 2005
- Washington, D. C., USA
- I am:
- Biologist (Entomologist)
- Encyclopedia of Life