Tony DeVarco (b. 1961) received his Masters in Arts Administration from the College Conservatory of Music, Cincinnati in 1986. Moving to New York City as a young artist, DeVarco became involved in such innovated programs as Studio in a School, founded by Agnes Gund and Creative Time started by Anita Contini. It was while coordinating programs for Creative Time, that DeVarco was introduced to American abstract expressionist sculptor Mark Di Suvero. He spent a year and a half as Di Suvero's assistant while living and working on his own art and contributing to the development of Socrates Sculpture Park. In addition to Di Suvero’s direct influence, Tony’s approach to sculpture and mixed media at the time was deeply inspired by the work of the Japanese American sculptor Isamu Noguchi whom the artist met in 1987.
After leaving NYC in late 1988, Tony taught Arts Administration at the College Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati for two years. While there he co-wrote and produced with Cincinnati playwright and Professor of Drama Michael Burnham a theater piece entitled "Buckminster Fuller: In and Out of the Universe." The play, which also featured DeVarco’ set designs, was presented by the Ensemble Theatre of Cincinnati, Ohio. Tony DeVarco was appointed Executive Director of the Buckminster Fuller Institute in 1991 and led the organization until May of 1995 after moving its headquarters and Fuller Archives from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara.
In 2005 Tony DeVarco returned to his artistic practice with fresh vision and new tools. Through his later years in the digital environments of Silicon Valley while traveling regularly to Japan, Europe and other locations around the globe, his artist’s tools became more technological and ephemeral - a laptop and a digital camera. With these tools, he has explored a completely unique approach to digital mixed media called photomontages. After a 15-year hiatus from creating art for public display he presented his new work, “Stone Water Spirit” at Land of Medicine Buddha, Santa Cruz County in 2006 and 2007.
In 2012, Tony had a solo exhibition of works selected from the book "Way of Time" at the Marta Hewett Gallery which was reviewed in the art journal "AEQAI" aeqai.com/main/2012/10/all-kinds-of-time/ The book "Way of Time- Spinning the Threads of Kairos & Chronos" by Bonnie and Tony DeVarco is available as an e-book store.blurb.com/ebooks/304970-way-of-time or a hardback www.blurb.com/b/3463580-way-of-time.
Here is an interview on "Artist on Art" www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lwhbvWFN6U
Here is the 2016 short documentary video by Emmy Award Nominated filmmaker, Nik Kleverov about Tony's collaboration with Japanese Artist Mayako Nakamura for the exhibit "Spirited Nature, Traces of Light" vimeo.com/170719607
To check out the 3D online gallery and images of "Spirited Nature, Traces of Light" exhibit you can go to the la Stella Gallery www.lastellagallery.com/gallery-1/
"ReGenerations" collaborative and individual work by Tony DeVarco and Mayako Nakamura- www.martahewett.com/devarco-nakamura-home
Here is a review of the "ReGenerations" exhibit- www.martahewett.com/single-post/2017/08/15/AEQAI-Review-U...
If you are interested in purchasing or licensing an image please drop Tony an email via Flickr.
Santa Cruz, CA
- !Catchy Colors 4,446,330 photos, 183,142 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 24,357 photos, 41,932 members
- de Young Museum 1,821 photos, 125 members
- Mosaic Montage Monday 8,507 photos, 879 members
- DazzlePix MOSAICS & MONTAGES 9,683 photos, 951 members
- Fotothoughts 3,479 photos, 694 members
- Academy of Lost Theories 15,399 photos, 454 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 11,870 photos, 13,182 members
- we are the architects 10,200 photos, 177 members
- Art for Art's Sake 59,483 photos, 2,137 members
- A Passion for Color (Invited Images Only) 714 photos, 43 members
- Movement & Motion 670,244 photos, 53,596 members
- art - kunst p3c3 10,777 photos, 244 members
- The Artists Coalition 308 photos, 140 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 300,672 photos, 23,525 members
- Santa Cruz, California 18,619 photos, 1,071 members
- THE ONLINE MUSEUM OF ART MODERN P1, C-1 70,581 photos, 1,678 members
- artland 1,188,354 photos, 43,074 members
- Urban Patina - Textura Urbana 2,669 photos, 142 members
- unknown photographer 1,904 photos, 68 members
- JOSEPH BEUYS-A SOCIAL ORGANISM AS A WORK OF ART’… EVERY HUMA 269 photos, 163 members
- Diptych & Triptych Gallery 49,867 photos, 4,717 members
- Triptychs 15,784 photos, 4,371 members
- The Knight and his Princess (Admins invite only) P 1 - A/C 1 34,064 photos, 2,881 members
- B Square 340,501 photos, 10,048 members
- Shock of the New!! By Invitation. Comment 2. 65,222 photos, 2,228 members
- Sculpture (original work only) 37,000 photos, 2,804 members
- ART DISTRICT 672,695 photos, 19,386 members
- artartartartartartartartart 30,044 photos, 567 members
- Raw Art Visionary 59,419 photos, 2,268 members
- PhotoshopJunkies 11,081 photos, 696 members
- ***All beautiful shots and many more. 3,538 photos, 14,754 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 402,665 photos, 103,834 members
- Art And Pleasure (P1/ C1) No photo please!! 22,122 photos, 942 members
- Contemporary Art 20,182 photos, 813 members
- "TRA REALTà E SOGNO" ♪ 77,863 photos, 1,466 members
- S Q U A R E S 114,693 photos, 4,119 members
- Sunset Time (Post 2/Fave or Comment 2) 207,024 photos, 27,785 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 59,960 photos, 1,340 members
- Sulfur Dioxide 46 photos, 16 members
- o n e 20,606 photos, 855 members
- La mia prima foto su Flickr - My first photo on Flickr 11,327 photos, 22,002 members
- "GABRIGROUP" 94,113 photos, 1,787 members
- California Academy of Sciences 11,166 photos, 1,234 members
- ~Engineering is Art~ 46,765 photos, 2,334 members
- THE HYPOTHETICAL AWARDS..*Post 1 ~ Award 2, 127,992 photos, 2,434 members
- Secret Life of Plants 321,780 photos, 37,921 members
- ...-Wink's Place-... 239,293 photos, 3,610 members
- Art International *show your flickriver badge* 47,515 photos, 1,579 members
- Mushrooms 108,885 photos, 9,932 members
Animé du zkukkuiz says:
"The remix of essential elements and philosophy.....
Great way art."
August 23rd, 2010
"Tony is now on www.flickr.com/gr... gallery, his work shows that reallity belongs ahead of what we discover there where we put our eyes. Mix is inside his world and put us on to check or review how everithing gets inner and have place in our mind as kind of mirror to which we can stay forever."
November 29th, 2008
- Tony DeVarco
- July 2008
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Spirited Nature, Traces of Light