Plant obsessive, also a botanist with long experience in practical taxonomy, I am interested in all the world's plants (at least the seed plants and ferns) though most familiar with Australian plants.
Worked in the 60s, 70s and early 80s in the Herbarium at Sydney Botanic Gardens (officially "Royal Botanic Gardens", but I'm a republican!) identifying and cataloging plants in living collections as well as herbarium curation and fielding public enquiries. Was given valuable instruction in principles and practice of taxonomy by the late Lawrie Johnson, one of Australia's greatest ever taxonomists.
Later involved in consulting, writing and supplying photos for publishers of horticultural reference books, including "Botanica" and "Flora", also rewriting plant articles in The Australian Encyclopaedia. I guess I have had upward of 3,000 of my photos reproduced in books, and in the 80s sometimes made a good part of my income from picture sales.
Since the late 70s have been a compulsive plant photographer, piling up around 60,000 transparencies before I went entirely digital in 2003. Since then, have shot something over 50,000 images, nearly all still kept, at high resolution, on hard drives of ever-increasing capacity.
You may notice each of my shots has a number in its title. The first part of the number is a self-sorting date format that allows me to go back to the similarly numbered folder on my hard drive. The second part is the camera-generated photo number, stripped of any prefixes and suffixes, which allows me to locate the original picture file within the folder.
The guiding principle in all my plant photography is illustration rather than photographic art. And the most important thing to me is being able to put names to the subjects with as high a degree of botanical accuracy as possible -- though I accept that naming sometimes proceeds by successive approximations, with even some errors along the way.
Concerning my pictures in Flickr, I have absolutely no interest in having them judged on artistic merit, so please do not bother to comment if that is your only interest in them. As for all those gimmicky "awards" with flashy icons . . . don't get me started!!
I give frequent attention to the groups What Plant is That? and ID Please! and supply many identifications (occasionally wrong ones!). Generally I don't provide identifications for shots that are also submitted to numerous "mutual admiration" groups, as in my experience most such photographers are not interested in the plant's name and rarely acknowledge my contribution ("pearls before swine"!).
Note that my shots are all Creative Commons, set at one of the less restrictive levels. I am happy that they may be useful in as many ways as possible, with attribution of course, BUT . . . . if used for a purely commercial purpose, then I expect my permission to be requested and a reproduction fee discussed.
Tony Rodd's favorite photos from other Flickr members (3)
- Leaf Photography 30,110 photos, 3,113 members
- Vintage Engravings, Etchings, Lithographs & Wood-block Prints 6,929 photos, 1,187 members
- Species Roses 321 photos, 25 members
- Vireyas 121 photos, 11 members
- plant, shrub, tree, identification 1,142 photos, 188 members
- Sandstone 3,359 photos, 245 members
- Systematic Botany (not for "pretty flower images") 1,045 photos, 224 members
- Flowers, Plants and Trees of Thailand 1,186 photos, 68 members
- Ferns 9,069 photos, 982 members
- CONVOLVULACEAE 787 photos, 34 members
- Blue Mountains Eucalypts 32 photos, 16 members
- Zingiberales 1,445 photos, 91 members
- Forests of Eastern Australia Biodiversity Hotspot 2,065 photos, 36 members
- Bamboo Bambu 竹 9,118 photos, 3,529 members
- Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney 291 photos, 60 members
- The Persoonia Genus - An Australian Endemic 191 photos, 22 members
- Weeds of Australia 787 photos, 24 members
- ID Please 12,048 photos, 961 members
- Goodeniaceae 827 photos, 33 members
- Ficus species of the world 761 photos, 41 members
- Blue Mountains Native Plants 388 photos, 41 members
- Leichhardt - Municipality of Leichhardt 1,083 photos, 95 members
- Malvaceae 2,917 photos, 142 members
- Tropical Fruits 1,549 photos, 441 members
- Xanthorrhoea - Grass Trees - Blackboys 329 photos, 37 members
- All about Trees, Arboriculture, and Tree Care. 22,902 photos, 1,746 members
- Where in the world are you: Queen Victoria 803 photos, 153 members
- Rhamnaceae 421 photos, 38 members
- Agathis 173 photos, 16 members
- Gymnostoma 107 photos, 16 members
- Fern Allies 761 photos, 111 members
- Botanical Morphology and Anatomy 3,195 photos, 365 members
- Impatiens 1,185 photos, 117 members
- Moraceae 902 photos, 86 members
- Seaside Gardens & Plants that Fit 2,440 photos, 113 members
- AUSTRALIA'S BIGGEST TREES 483 photos, 50 members
- Panasonic G1 29,655 photos, 878 members
- Vitaceae (wild) 206 photos, 16 members
- Terrestrial Bromeliads 668 photos, 77 members
- GeoTagging Flickr 153,654 photos, 7,081 members
- Orobanchaceae 6,826 photos, 280 members
- PLANT [directory] 植物 262,926 photos, 15,331 members
- Cyperaceae 861 photos, 76 members
- Khao Yai National Park 269 photos, 49 members
- Encyclopedia of Life Images 265,283 photos, 3,964 members
- Name that Plant! (scientific & common names required) 1,269 photos, 71 members
- Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens 1,195 photos, 90 members
- Araliaceae 703 photos, 37 members
- Field Guide: Australian Native Plants 21,719 photos, 317 members
- Euphorbia 3,450 photos, 339 members
Ludovic Hirlimann says:
"I would like to Thanks tony for all the good work he's been doing identifying plants from my photo stream (specially when you know that most of these where from Northen based countries). Thanks a lot."
June 30th, 2010
"You rarely find people as precious as Tony Rodd these days. Helping people with ID's, and showing great respect to their work. It's been an honor to me to have this great personality in the Flickr world. God bless you.
Muhammad Al Shanfari"
April 8th, 2010
"Tony has been a terrific friend on flickr. His knowledge of wildflowers is seemingly inexhaustible, even that of a region very remote from his own."
July 2nd, 2008
- Tony Rodd
- May 2007
- Sydney, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Taken