Tom Palumbo (1921–2008) was an American photographer and theatre director. He was born in Molfetta, Italy, in 1921. His family moved when he was about 12 years old to New York City. As a young man Palumbo was employed first building scale models for ships in an engineering company. Later he was employed as an assistant by photographer James Abbe. His experience working with Abbe led him to commercial work in fashion photography.
His early campaign work for Peck & Peck Department Store appeared in Vogue and Bazaar magazines from 1949 to 1953.
He was a staff photographer of Vogue from 1959 until 1962 and at Harper's Bazaar from 1953 until 1959, where he worked with the art directors Alex Liberman and Alexey Brodovitch. He was a vice-president of creative productions at Ted Bates, where he oversaw all TV commercials.
He was a life-long member of the Actors Studio. He taught photography at Rhode Island School of Design, and he taught directing at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He directed plays Off-Broadway and in regional theatres. His last production was An Evening of Proust at Lincoln Center. He was a member of the Lincoln Center Directors Lab.
Tom Palumbo was married to Patricia Bosworth. He died in October 2008.
Please contact me through my website for any image requests, I do not check flickr email regularly.
- Visual Candies 16,895 photos, 1,082 members
- SANTA CLAUS! 4,431 photos, 1,536 members
- Stuff in the Yard 1,741 photos, 119 members
- Great Capture 2,179 photos, 428 members
- FAST FOOD NATION 883 photos, 92 members
- Yearbook Yourself 269 photos, 153 members
- 7 seconds.War,Peace and Disaster 3,691 photos, 1,255 members
- PhotoshopyArte 14,335 photos, 1,187 members
- BRITISH ARTISTS WHO CHARTED IN THE STATES BEFORE 1964 0 photos, 17 members
- Sunday Obsession ♥ 148 photos, 587 members
- Umbrella Stories 1,271 photos, 580 members
- ANYTHING TO DO WITH WATER (P1/A1) VOTING TIME 286,809 photos, 12,734 members
- Pyro's Amazing Animals 2 257 photos, 250 members
- GRRREAT WORKS.... NO PEOPLE-Max 60 Groups~Add1-C1 78,559 photos, 4,548 members
- Portrait Award (Invited only) 45,251 photos, 20,317 members
- IT CAME FROM THE GARAGE 30 photos, 27 members
- On the porch 177 photos, 99 members
- The 4 Elements © 31,008 photos, 3,816 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 1,456,740 photos, 61,864 members
- BLACK+WHITE=[AWARD]-post1 award3 before u-JOIN CONTEST! 56,947 photos, 3,949 members
- Photography Idol >>> Comment 1, Invite the best Artists you know 51,000 photos, 3,335 members
- Photographers For Change 160 photos, 49 members
- mother and child 24,048 photos, 5,460 members
- Far and Away the Best (Invited Images ONLY) 35,239 photos, 7,088 members
- Favorites: 50 58,462 photos, 8,266 members
- Fabulous Fifties Heaven (1950-59) 30,301 photos, 1,163 members
- 1958 258 photos, 43 members
- Vintage In Colour 10,258 photos, 662 members
- 100,000 Faces 294 photos, 1,576 members
- FIRE FIRE FIRE 80,891 photos, 18,548 members
- Interesting / Interestingness - Share Tips 17,467 photos, 1,179 members
- Gloved Women Reporters & Singers 113 photos, 1,485 members
- Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless 2,725 photos, 214 members
- Flickr Glam Parade - It's All About Glamour 31,428 photos, 2,472 members
- FASHION AND GLAMOUR 237,430 photos, 9,551 members
- Jewish People and History - Ancient and Modern 8,714 photos, 682 members
- Shield Of Excellence 550,830 photos, 40,773 members
- Details de PARIS 54,154 photos, 2,126 members
- Vintage Swimwear 2,803 photos, 506 members
- Pre-1962 America in Color 413 photos, 671 members
- Cafe that tells a story 4,588 photos, 728 members
- Café Society 6,545 photos, 834 members
- everyday paris 36,011 photos, 623 members
- NYC History 2,269 photos, 124 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 191,970 photos, 4,898 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,875 photos, 2,206 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 283,596 photos, 41,316 members
- Vintage France 416 photos, 252 members
- Vintage Francophone 2,316 photos, 93 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 100,905 photos, 10,234 members
(Eric Rose) says:
"Such a fascinating photostream. Tom is a true inspiration. I'm moved."
June 22nd, 2008
momentous connection says:
"I discovered by coincidence, this site and immediately I found a world that I knew, little girl with my mother. She was very nice and followed the fashion, and as it was a beautiful woman, while he was going. On this site, I found this world a half tint, sophisticated and discreet, the "good taste" after all. I love to come and take a tour, the pictures are very beautiful and tell without any show in a world disappeared, strangely I think of William Somerset Maugham.(The Razor's Edge)
In short I love the job full sensitivity tompalumbo"
June 15th, 2008
"Most people don't know too much about Tom because he went into advertising in the mid 1960's. Then later he folllowed an interest that originally had ealier led him to become a member of the Actors Studio, he directed theatre.
Theatre makes sense because when you look at a lot of his contact sheets you can see his mind at work, these are stage sets, the models are actors, and the play is about finding the perfect frame."
June 6th, 2008
"After going through 14 or 15 thousand negatives so far what you see here in Tom's flickr is really the tip of a mighty iceberg. There is much more to come.
Of note are his Miles Davis images which were found in the cache of negatives from 1953-1956. They had never been printed before and although they did finally appear in the first issue publication of a magazine called MOVIES ROCK in November 2007, we're not sure that many people noticed.
The Miles Davis are remarkable because they show Miles laughing and smiling, something he never seems to have done later.
Perhaps the reason the negatives were not printed at the time was that Tom knew that Miles would not have liked these pictures which most definitely conflicted with that 'cool guy' persona that we see in most images of him.
Either way, its a fascinating time capsule..."
January 15th, 2008
- Tom Palumbo
- January 2008
- Molfetta, Italy
- New York, NY, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer & Director of Theatre