Tom Palumbo (1921–2008) was an American photographer and theatre director. He was born in Molfetta, Italy, in 1921. His family moved when he was about 12 years old to New York City. As a young man Palumbo was employed first building scale models for ships in an engineering company. Later he was employed as an assistant by photographer James Abbe. His experience working with Abbe led him to commercial work in fashion photography.
His early campaign work for Peck & Peck Department Store appeared in Vogue and Bazaar magazines from 1949 to 1953.
He was a staff photographer of Vogue from 1959 until 1962 and at Harper's Bazaar from 1953 until 1959, where he worked with the art directors Alex Liberman and Alexey Brodovitch. He was a vice-president of creative productions at Ted Bates, where he oversaw all TV commercials.
He was a life-long member of the Actors Studio. He taught photography at Rhode Island School of Design, and he taught directing at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He directed plays Off-Broadway and in regional theatres. His last production was An Evening of Proust at Lincoln Center. He was a member of the Lincoln Center Directors Lab.
Tom Palumbo was married to Patricia Bosworth. He died in October 2008.
Please contact me through my website for any image requests, I do not check flickr email regularly.
- Visual Candies 15,311 photos, 1,083 members
- SANTA CLAUS! 4,538 photos, 1,574 members
- Stuff in the Yard 1,632 photos, 100 members
- Great Capture 2,246 photos, 437 members
- FAST FOOD NATION 358 photos, 79 members
- Yearbook Yourself 338 photos, 156 members
- 7 seconds.War,Peace and Disaster 3,934 photos, 1,266 members
- PhotoshopyArte 10,692 photos, 1,154 members
- BRITISH ARTISTS WHO CHARTED IN THE STATES BEFORE 1964 0 photos, 18 members
- Sunday Obsession ♥ 151 photos, 599 members
- Umbrella Stories 1,344 photos, 584 members
- ANYTHING TO DO WITH WATER (P1/A1) VOTING TIME 245,912 photos, 12,245 members
- Pyro's Amazing Animals 2 259 photos, 248 members
- GRRREAT WORKS.... Post ONE Photo and give 2 COMMENTS, PLEASE!!! 75,477 photos, 4,410 members
- Portrait Award (Invited only) 46,908 photos, 20,505 members
- IT CAME FROM THE GARAGE 30 photos, 28 members
- On the porch 176 photos, 102 members
- The 4 Elements © 30,308 photos, 3,880 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 1,142,277 photos, 58,471 members
- BLACK+WHITE=[AWARD]-post1 award3 before u-JOIN CONTEST! 52,784 photos, 3,823 members
- Photography Idol >>> Comment 1, Invite the best Artists you know 29,442 photos, 2,780 members
- Photographers For Change 142 photos, 49 members
- mother and child 21,914 photos, 5,170 members
- Far and Away the Best (Invited Images ONLY) 34,139 photos, 7,153 members
- Favorites: 50 52,210 photos, 6,008 members
- Fabulous Fifties Heaven (1950-59) 26,997 photos, 1,051 members
- 1958 253 photos, 41 members
- Vintage In Colour 7,499 photos, 518 members
- 100,000 Faces 315 photos, 1,613 members
- FIRE FIRE FIRE 72,096 photos, 17,405 members
- Interesting / Interestingness - Share Tips 12,828 photos, 1,090 members
- Gloved Women Reporters & Singers 134 photos, 1,449 members
- Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless 2,770 photos, 219 members
- Flickr Glam Parade - It's All About Glamour 27,727 photos, 2,442 members
- FASHION AND GLAMOUR 201,334 photos, 8,914 members
- Jewish People and History - Ancient and Modern 7,290 photos, 646 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 474,602 photos, 40,351 members
- Details de PARIS 43,072 photos, 2,089 members
- Vintage Swimwear 2,109 photos, 404 members
- Pre-1962 America in Color 478 photos, 612 members
- Cafe that tells a story 3,391 photos, 599 members
- Café Society 4,427 photos, 667 members
- everyday paris 26,534 photos, 583 members
- NYC History 1,808 photos, 112 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 160,706 photos, 4,608 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,927 photos, 1,814 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,769 photos, 42,011 members
- Vintage France 206 photos, 230 members
- Vintage Francophone 1,775 photos, 61 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 74,611 photos, 8,073 members
(Eric Rose) says:
"Such a fascinating photostream. Tom is a true inspiration. I'm moved."
June 22nd, 2008
carima maheo says:
"I discovered by coincidence, this site and immediately I found a world that I knew, little girl with my mother. She was very nice and followed the fashion, and as it was a beautiful woman, while he was going. On this site, I found this world a half tint, sophisticated and discreet, the "good taste" after all. I love to come and take a tour, the pictures are very beautiful and tell without any show in a world disappeared, strangely I think of William Somerset Maugham.(The Razor's Edge)
In short I love the job full sensitivity tompalumbo"
June 15th, 2008
"Most people don't know too much about Tom because he went into advertising in the mid 1960's. Then later he folllowed an interest that originally had ealier led him to become a member of the Actors Studio, he directed theatre.
Theatre makes sense because when you look at a lot of his contact sheets you can see his mind at work, these are stage sets, the models are actors, and the play is about finding the perfect frame."
June 6th, 2008
"After going through 14 or 15 thousand negatives so far what you see here in Tom's flickr is really the tip of a mighty iceberg. There is much more to come.
Of note are his Miles Davis images which were found in the cache of negatives from 1953-1956. They had never been printed before and although they did finally appear in the first issue publication of a magazine called MOVIES ROCK in November 2007, we're not sure that many people noticed.
The Miles Davis are remarkable because they show Miles laughing and smiling, something he never seems to have done later.
Perhaps the reason the negatives were not printed at the time was that Tom knew that Miles would not have liked these pictures which most definitely conflicted with that 'cool guy' persona that we see in most images of him.
Either way, its a fascinating time capsule..."
January 15th, 2008
- Tom Palumbo
- January 2008
- Molfetta, Italy
- New York, NY, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer & Director of Theatre