Tom Palumbo (1921–2008) was an American photographer and theatre director. He was born in Molfetta, Italy, in 1921. His family moved when he was about 12 years old to New York City. As a young man Palumbo was employed first building scale models for ships in an engineering company. Later he was employed as an assistant by photographer James Abbe. His experience working with Abbe led him to commercial work in fashion photography.
His early campaign work for Peck & Peck Department Store appeared in Vogue and Bazaar magazines from 1949 to 1953.
He was a staff photographer of Vogue from 1959 until 1962 and at Harper's Bazaar from 1953 until 1959, where he worked with the art directors Alex Liberman and Alexey Brodovitch. He was a vice-president of creative productions at Ted Bates, where he oversaw all TV commercials.
He was a life-long member of the Actors Studio. He taught photography at Rhode Island School of Design, and he taught directing at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He directed plays Off-Broadway and in regional theatres. His last production was An Evening of Proust at Lincoln Center. He was a member of the Lincoln Center Directors Lab.
Tom Palumbo was married to Patricia Bosworth. He died in October 2008.
Please contact me through my website for any image requests, I do not check flickr email regularly.
- Visual Candies 15,807 photos, 1,085 members
- SANTA CLAUS! 4,516 photos, 1,569 members
- Stuff in the Yard 1,659 photos, 105 members
- Great Capture 2,245 photos, 438 members
- FAST FOOD NATION 499 photos, 86 members
- Yearbook Yourself 338 photos, 155 members
- 7 seconds.War,Peace and Disaster 3,928 photos, 1,269 members
- PhotoshopyArte 11,282 photos, 1,161 members
- BRITISH ARTISTS WHO CHARTED IN THE STATES BEFORE 1964 0 photos, 18 members
- Sunday Obsession ♥ 151 photos, 599 members
- Umbrella Stories 1,336 photos, 585 members
- ANYTHING TO DO WITH WATER (P1/A1) VOTING TIME 252,162 photos, 12,426 members
- Pyro's Amazing Animals 2 274 photos, 247 members
- GRRREAT WORKS.... NO PEOPLE - ONE Photo and give 2 COMMENTS ~ 77,204 photos, 4,447 members
- Portrait Award (Invited only) 46,761 photos, 20,525 members
- IT CAME FROM THE GARAGE 30 photos, 28 members
- On the porch 176 photos, 101 members
- The 4 Elements © 30,610 photos, 3,876 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 1,209,628 photos, 59,288 members
- BLACK+WHITE=[AWARD]-post1 award3 before u-JOIN CONTEST! 54,351 photos, 3,878 members
- Photography Idol >>> Comment 1, Invite the best Artists you know 31,500 photos, 2,865 members
- Photographers For Change 156 photos, 49 members
- mother and child 22,411 photos, 5,239 members
- Far and Away the Best (Invited Images ONLY) 34,284 photos, 7,160 members
- Favorites: 50 68,005 photos, 6,617 members
- Fabulous Fifties Heaven (1950-59) 28,379 photos, 1,061 members
- 1958 266 photos, 44 members
- Vintage In Colour 8,224 photos, 547 members
- 100,000 Faces 313 photos, 1,607 members
- FIRE FIRE FIRE 74,008 photos, 17,761 members
- Interesting / Interestingness - Share Tips 13,174 photos, 1,107 members
- Gloved Women Reporters & Singers 134 photos, 1,453 members
- Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless 2,729 photos, 217 members
- Flickr Glam Parade - It's All About Glamour 28,988 photos, 2,463 members
- FASHION AND GLAMOUR 210,896 photos, 9,035 members
- Jewish People and History - Ancient and Modern 7,677 photos, 658 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 490,783 photos, 40,506 members
- Details de PARIS 45,797 photos, 2,100 members
- Vintage Swimwear 2,330 photos, 417 members
- Pre-1962 America in Color 490 photos, 625 members
- Cafe that tells a story 3,537 photos, 617 members
- Café Society 4,691 photos, 701 members
- everyday paris 28,880 photos, 594 members
- NYC History 1,857 photos, 116 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 166,649 photos, 4,657 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,923 photos, 1,937 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 283,389 photos, 41,979 members
- Vintage France 549 photos, 232 members
- Vintage Francophone 1,838 photos, 65 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 80,768 photos, 8,553 members
(Eric Rose) says:
"Such a fascinating photostream. Tom is a true inspiration. I'm moved."
June 22nd, 2008
carima maheo says:
"I discovered by coincidence, this site and immediately I found a world that I knew, little girl with my mother. She was very nice and followed the fashion, and as it was a beautiful woman, while he was going. On this site, I found this world a half tint, sophisticated and discreet, the "good taste" after all. I love to come and take a tour, the pictures are very beautiful and tell without any show in a world disappeared, strangely I think of William Somerset Maugham.(The Razor's Edge)
In short I love the job full sensitivity tompalumbo"
June 15th, 2008
"Most people don't know too much about Tom because he went into advertising in the mid 1960's. Then later he folllowed an interest that originally had ealier led him to become a member of the Actors Studio, he directed theatre.
Theatre makes sense because when you look at a lot of his contact sheets you can see his mind at work, these are stage sets, the models are actors, and the play is about finding the perfect frame."
June 6th, 2008
"After going through 14 or 15 thousand negatives so far what you see here in Tom's flickr is really the tip of a mighty iceberg. There is much more to come.
Of note are his Miles Davis images which were found in the cache of negatives from 1953-1956. They had never been printed before and although they did finally appear in the first issue publication of a magazine called MOVIES ROCK in November 2007, we're not sure that many people noticed.
The Miles Davis are remarkable because they show Miles laughing and smiling, something he never seems to have done later.
Perhaps the reason the negatives were not printed at the time was that Tom knew that Miles would not have liked these pictures which most definitely conflicted with that 'cool guy' persona that we see in most images of him.
Either way, its a fascinating time capsule..."
January 15th, 2008
- Tom Palumbo
- January 2008
- Molfetta, Italy
- New York, NY, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer & Director of Theatre