I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (9)
- Widelust 1,094 photos, 66 members
- Project Weather 645,110 photos, 93,682 members
- Birmingham Flickrmeets 13,157 photos, 844 members
- The world's most beautiful bookstores 264 photos, 104 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Macro 18,496 photos, 4,024 members
- blogTO 270,417 photos, 7,050 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,023 photos, 13,530 members
- Hart House Camera Club 990 photos, 181 members
- .film.forever. 635,670 photos, 11,149 members
- Analog Photography 2,096,863 photos, 47,460 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,077,181 photos, 42,063 members
- Vintage Toronto 192 photos, 29 members
- Doors Open Ontario 585 photos, 181 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 791,128 photos, 28,183 members
- Bernmobil 1,649 photos, 70 members
- Furniture I Built 3,015 photos, 659 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 28,258 photos, 1,038 members
- Toronto 171,492 photos, 10,348 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,558,997 photos, 104,895 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,633 photos, 1,397 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 10,268 photos, 884 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 73,564 photos, 1,533 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 21,293 photos, 2,030 members
- Berlin Analog 17,756 photos, 1,997 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 43,052 photos, 849 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 48,662 photos, 4,527 members
- Music Photography 541,459 photos, 15,599 members
- Music Music Music 144,807 photos, 10,023 members
- Long Exposure Water 65,527 photos, 4,375 members
- Night Shots* 197,436 photos, 15,642 members
- Night and light 31,773 photos, 1,813 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 4,641 photos, 319 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 6,176 photos, 445 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 28,747 photos, 2,130 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 5,973 photos, 496 members
- Russia Daily Photo 40,579 photos, 2,792 members
- St. Petersburg 26,601 photos, 1,470 members
- Hotels 66,927 photos, 5,803 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 13,663 photos, 464 members
- Solothurn 2,674 photos, 144 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,246 photos, 256 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,430 photos, 227 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 2,330 photos, 168 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,332 photos, 85 members
- Thin-shell Structures 1,105 photos, 135 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,162 photos, 22,076 members
- * Vanishing Points * 201,850 photos, 41,669 members
- US Capitol 1,658 photos, 216 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 339,677 photos, 9,981 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 2,653 photos, 522 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
December 10th, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian