I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (9)
- Widelust 1,218 photos, 71 members
- Project Weather 643,487 photos, 93,955 members
- Birmingham Flickrmeets 13,186 photos, 844 members
- The world's most beautiful bookstores 257 photos, 105 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Macro 21,217 photos, 4,112 members
- blogTO 275,955 photos, 7,075 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 10,976 photos, 13,457 members
- Hart House Camera Club 997 photos, 184 members
- .film.forever. 660,739 photos, 11,407 members
- Analog Photography 2,145,391 photos, 48,162 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,121,687 photos, 42,484 members
- Vintage Toronto 192 photos, 30 members
- Doors Open Ontario 584 photos, 181 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 789,315 photos, 28,148 members
- Bernmobil 1,715 photos, 70 members
- Furniture I Built 3,035 photos, 662 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 28,542 photos, 1,056 members
- Toronto 173,324 photos, 10,413 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,822,561 photos, 106,597 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,602 photos, 1,369 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 10,560 photos, 896 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 76,660 photos, 1,573 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 22,111 photos, 2,081 members
- Berlin Analog 18,136 photos, 2,043 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 43,935 photos, 851 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 49,914 photos, 4,567 members
- Music Photography 554,533 photos, 15,728 members
- Music Music Music 148,717 photos, 10,131 members
- Long Exposure Water 68,169 photos, 4,500 members
- Night Shots* 205,865 photos, 16,030 members
- Night and light 35,045 photos, 1,947 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 4,723 photos, 327 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 6,224 photos, 449 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 28,937 photos, 2,137 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 5,972 photos, 496 members
- Russia Daily Photo 43,302 photos, 2,871 members
- St. Petersburg 27,390 photos, 1,495 members
- Hotels 68,250 photos, 5,858 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 14,219 photos, 481 members
- Solothurn 2,738 photos, 145 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,265 photos, 257 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,436 photos, 226 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 2,428 photos, 173 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,317 photos, 85 members
- Thin-shell Structures 1,139 photos, 135 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,117 photos, 22,017 members
- * Vanishing Points * 205,551 photos, 42,071 members
- US Capitol 1,668 photos, 215 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 353,942 photos, 10,154 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 2,734 photos, 541 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
December 10th, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian