I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (9)
- Widelust 1,141 photos, 67 members
- Project Weather 644,358 photos, 93,817 members
- Birmingham Flickrmeets 13,154 photos, 844 members
- The world's most beautiful bookstores 256 photos, 104 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Macro 19,366 photos, 4,048 members
- blogTO 272,201 photos, 7,062 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,005 photos, 13,510 members
- Hart House Camera Club 995 photos, 181 members
- .film.forever. 643,708 photos, 11,228 members
- Analog Photography 2,112,735 photos, 47,759 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,091,496 photos, 42,179 members
- Vintage Toronto 192 photos, 29 members
- Doors Open Ontario 585 photos, 181 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 790,514 photos, 28,190 members
- Bernmobil 1,658 photos, 70 members
- Furniture I Built 3,018 photos, 660 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 28,359 photos, 1,043 members
- Toronto 172,221 photos, 10,363 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,639,929 photos, 105,433 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,639 photos, 1,400 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 10,361 photos, 889 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 74,538 photos, 1,544 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 21,468 photos, 2,054 members
- Berlin Analog 17,894 photos, 2,011 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 43,323 photos, 848 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 49,061 photos, 4,540 members
- Music Photography 545,690 photos, 15,653 members
- Music Music Music 146,061 photos, 10,060 members
- Long Exposure Water 66,159 photos, 4,407 members
- Night Shots* 199,991 photos, 15,788 members
- Night and light 32,749 photos, 1,847 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 4,678 photos, 322 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 6,186 photos, 444 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 28,863 photos, 2,131 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 5,973 photos, 496 members
- Russia Daily Photo 41,366 photos, 2,813 members
- St. Petersburg 26,859 photos, 1,483 members
- Hotels 67,236 photos, 5,820 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 13,803 photos, 470 members
- Solothurn 2,680 photos, 144 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,245 photos, 256 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,430 photos, 226 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 2,361 photos, 170 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,335 photos, 85 members
- Thin-shell Structures 1,104 photos, 135 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,151 photos, 22,062 members
- * Vanishing Points * 203,295 photos, 41,851 members
- US Capitol 1,662 photos, 216 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 344,315 photos, 10,035 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 2,678 photos, 524 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
December 10th, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian