I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (9)
- Widelust 764 photos, 53 members
- Birmingham Flickrmeets 12,992 photos, 827 members
- The world's most beautiful bookstores 264 photos, 102 members
- Howdy Stranger! Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 11,656 photos, 2,991 members
- blogTO 257,111 photos, 6,958 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,048 photos, 13,804 members
- Hart House Camera Club 941 photos, 179 members
- .film.forever. 556,104 photos, 10,174 members
- Analog Photography 1,932,045 photos, 43,759 members
- Film is not Dead!! 1,938,250 photos, 40,584 members
- Vintage Toronto 192 photos, 28 members
- Doors Open Ontario 585 photos, 182 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 797,427 photos, 28,263 members
- Bernmobil 1,528 photos, 63 members
- Furniture I Built 2,931 photos, 626 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 27,006 photos, 993 members
- Toronto 163,843 photos, 10,142 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,758,026 photos, 99,300 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,601 photos, 1,418 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 9,354 photos, 851 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 66,191 photos, 1,383 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 19,543 photos, 1,860 members
- Berlin Analog 16,760 photos, 1,885 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 41,772 photos, 819 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 45,155 photos, 4,380 members
- Music Photography 503,517 photos, 15,021 members
- Music Music Music 134,651 photos, 9,594 members
- Long Exposure Water 58,162 photos, 4,038 members
- Night Shots* 171,252 photos, 14,349 members
- Night and light 22,119 photos, 1,380 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 4,372 photos, 307 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 6,004 photos, 442 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 28,359 photos, 2,097 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 6,013 photos, 496 members
- Russia Daily Photo 33,051 photos, 2,555 members
- St. Petersburg 23,534 photos, 1,390 members
- Hotels 63,510 photos, 5,646 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 12,180 photos, 428 members
- Solothurn 2,465 photos, 132 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,199 photos, 255 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,422 photos, 220 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 1,998 photos, 152 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,319 photos, 84 members
- Thin-shell Structures 1,080 photos, 131 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,291 photos, 22,263 members
- * Vanishing Points * 188,995 photos, 38,769 members
- US Capitol 1,645 photos, 209 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 303,630 photos, 9,382 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 2,447 photos, 477 members
- Washington DC Metro Area Sights 119,989 photos, 5,502 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
December 10th, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian