I'm a science librarian, with a background in electrical engineering and acoustics, originally from Lausanne, Switzerland and now living in Toronto, Canada.
For me, photography started as an escape route, something different for the stressed-out engineer I was. Just after defending my PhD thesis, I bought my first "real" camera (a Canon 350D) and went to the loneliness of Brittany in November to test my new gear out. Why I chose to go there and then is still unclear to me. Probably because I needed to calibrate myself to the famous 18% gray, and 18% gray is pretty much all there is to see in Brittany in winter...
Anyway, even though it soon dawned on me that I still had a tremendous lot to learn before I could call myself a photographer (I still have), I came back to Switzerland with a new passion.
In the years that followed, I tried to go beyond the first snapshots and started taking photography classes. But what really helped me progress was the wonderful Flickr fraternity, notably the flickr@lausanne crowd. Thanks to the artistic talent and technical knowledge of its members, I have learned a tremendous amount of things, which I now try to apply to my own work.
Obviously, I still have a long way to go. My biggest remaining problem is self-conciousness. I just can't go out in the street and shoot candids, or walk up to a complete stranger to ask if I can take her portrait. I always feel like an intruder, especially while traveling to other countries. But over time, thanks to all the encouraging comments I have received both online and in real life, I gained some confidence and started shooting less objects and more people!
I'm not really trying to say anything special with my pictures, and I post on Flickr the ones I personally find the most interesting. Comments are always appreciated, especially critical or technical since they will help me progress.
Photography is a hobby for me, it is a way to have some fun, and so far it's been working pretty well :-) Enjoy!
Do you want to use one of my pictures? That's fine, help yourself but please pay attention to the terms of the Creative Commons license under which most of my pictures are released. You are free to use them for non-commercial use provided you cite me and/or maintain a link back to the Flickr photo page.
It is not compulsory to inform me when one of my images is used, but I always appreciate hearing from people liking my work enough to want to use it! :-)
If you want to use an image for commercial use, you must contact me first, stating the details of your project.
Photos of timtom.ch (9)
- Widelust 1,263 photos, 71 members
- Project Weather 641,676 photos, 94,044 members
- Birmingham Flickrmeets 13,119 photos, 844 members
- The world's most beautiful bookstores 267 photos, 107 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Macro 22,980 photos, 4,182 members
- blogTO 277,593 photos, 7,098 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 10,952 photos, 13,414 members
- Hart House Camera Club 1,001 photos, 184 members
- .film.forever. 675,037 photos, 11,594 members
- Analog Photography 2,172,941 photos, 48,562 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,143,830 photos, 42,740 members
- Vintage Toronto 200 photos, 30 members
- Doors Open Ontario 584 photos, 180 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 788,373 photos, 28,114 members
- Bernmobil 1,729 photos, 69 members
- Furniture I Built 3,036 photos, 665 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 28,677 photos, 1,054 members
- Toronto 174,289 photos, 10,457 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,973,739 photos, 107,772 members
- Pritzker Prize First Choice 4,718 photos, 1,371 members
- ! Best of Berlin architecture / Berliner Architektur 10,743 photos, 904 members
- Berlin, Anything About Berlin 77,707 photos, 1,605 members
- Berlin bei Nacht 22,558 photos, 2,121 members
- Berlin Analog 18,309 photos, 2,051 members
- iPhone-art iphoneography 44,327 photos, 849 members
- MOSCOW / МОСКВА 50,433 photos, 4,593 members
- Music Photography 562,741 photos, 15,842 members
- Music Music Music 150,655 photos, 10,190 members
- Long Exposure Water 70,143 photos, 4,590 members
- Night Shots* 210,825 photos, 16,270 members
- Night and light 37,496 photos, 2,031 members
- Curvy World - Horizon, Widelux, Noblex... 4,768 photos, 329 members
- HORIZON's Masterpieces 6,291 photos, 452 members
- ★ Horizon Kompakt & Perfekt ★ 28,990 photos, 2,139 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 5,971 photos, 496 members
- Russia Daily Photo 44,711 photos, 2,919 members
- St. Petersburg 27,792 photos, 1,519 members
- Hotels 68,974 photos, 5,880 members
- Grisons - Graubünden - Switzerland 14,586 photos, 490 members
- Solothurn 2,760 photos, 145 members
- Dine.TO (Toronto Restaurants) 1,266 photos, 259 members
- Indoor Panoramas 2,438 photos, 226 members
- Lausanne sous un autre angle/Lausanne from another point of view 2,504 photos, 176 members
- Club-Photo EPFL 1,324 photos, 85 members
- Thin-shell Structures 1,150 photos, 136 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,102 photos, 21,982 members
- * Vanishing Points * 207,373 photos, 42,146 members
- US Capitol 1,678 photos, 216 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 361,942 photos, 10,270 members
- Best Washington DC Shots of the Week 2,797 photos, 550 members
KraKote est KoKasse. says:
"Il y a des évidences qui ont besoin d'être dites ou du moins écrites : j'aurais pu le faire avant, mais justement parce que c'est une certitude -notre amitié- j'ai même pas pensé à le faire, dingue ! C'est super chouette que l'on se connaisse et qu'on partage des blagues, des flashs, de bons repas, des mariages personnels et plus lointains, des livres et des crêpes ! :-D
A la revoyure, ici ou là-bas :))
Un bon bek,
December 10th, 2010
- Thomas Guignard
- November 2004
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Toronto, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Science Librarian