Painting was my first addiction until I got high on turpentine in my cramped city dwelling. At the same time, doctors recommended exercise, so these days I scour the streets of Shanghai with my camera to fill the void of my former passion.
Today, I am a freelance photographer who has given up brushes for lenses and can breathe better with the aid of an occasional cigarette. God how I miss the smell of linseed oil.
My family portrait business website can be found here:
www.barefootportraits.org Or you can contact me directly through: +86-136-36499378.
2006.08.22 - ps. Want to see more of China? I want to share more too. But my posts are limited. Donations for a pro account are most welcome. :)
2006.08.24 - Uh-oh Tommy-san has just raised expectations. I hope I can put up with the pressure. Thanks for the pro, Mr. Pro! Never heard of him? Well your missing half of the flickr experience. Visit his astounding photos at: www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/ You gotta see it to believe it.
2007.08.23 - Another year has passed. My pro account is expiring. Anyone willing to donate a pro account to this poor bloke?
2007.08.26 - Deepest gratitude to Sissi, who donated my pro account this year. Thank you very much!
Thanks for dropping by!
Photos of theshanghaieye (2)
- Before & After - A Sneak Peek into Processing 3,128 photos, 5,040 members
- Beijing 103,555 photos, 4,284 members
- Peoples of India 70,258 photos, 4,167 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,171 photos, 17,680 members
- Shanghai Flickr Meetup Slideshow 4,568 photos, 454 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 495,593 photos, 40,540 members
- Are You Experienced? 9,910 photos, 677 members
- Global Photojournalism 495,678 photos, 24,139 members
- The Visible Photographer (*NOT POSED* Street Photos) 56 photos, 928 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 460,056 photos, 12,809 members
- Travel Photography 4,034,171 photos, 133,613 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges -- 'Coffee' (new theme) 144,957 photos, 16,035 members
- The Dog House 94,243 photos, 5,010 members
- MACROPOLS -- City of Awesome Macro Shots (read the rules!) 1,694 photos, 175 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 488,521 photos, 63,753 members
- Philippines 161,457 photos, 8,274 members
- simplicity 130,113 photos, 5,941 members
- Pinoy Faves! 6,767 photos, 535 members
- FlickrCentral 9,433,391 photos, 258,388 members
- Show and Tell (the story behinde published photos) 51 photos, 41 members
- Killer Portrait 685 photos, 143 members
- Asians of the World 76,130 photos, 2,026 members
- 1-2-3 China 1,804 photos, 120 members
- * Vanishing Points * 204,585 photos, 41,983 members
- Decisive Moment 59,804 photos, 36,551 members
- People in the City 670,954 photos, 14,140 members
- Face 383,096 photos, 16,413 members
- WORLD CITIES HUB 29,471 photos, 1,147 members
- HCB's "The Decisive Moment" 475 photos, 7,540 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 24,873 photos, 6,212 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 18,608 photos, 934 members
- Strobist.com 608,784 photos, 123,374 members
- * in上海 / shanghai 72,037 photos, 3,280 members
- Art-Redux 864 photos, 169 members
- Flickr's Cutest Kids.... 14,343 photos, 1,417 members
- Bending Light 12,485 photos, 3,488 members
- Studio Shots 106,339 photos, 9,465 members
- Child Photography Using a Flash/Studio Lighting 18,624 photos, 3,090 members
- Canon Speedlite 37,365 photos, 4,024 members
- Cheers ® Read the Rules ® 327 photos, 195 members
- Flickritis: Where 71,814 people are still happily infected! 5,337,205 photos, 72,320 members
- The Real Street Photography 1,249,811 photos, 38,435 members
- Filipino Pride 38,667 photos, 1,940 members
- Pinoy Flickrs 128,898 photos, 4,713 members
- Pinoy Photography 26,753 photos, 1,208 members
- Swimming in light 70,973 photos, 3,483 members
- shadow portraits 2,476 photos, 706 members
- Black and White 6,874,072 photos, 348,545 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 1,027,587 photos, 66,811 members
- B&W 4,891,995 photos, 219,756 members
A Glimpse of the World says:
"It has been amazing to see Don's development as a photographer. As someone who came new to the world of serious picture taking not long ago, he has advanced by leaps and bounds. I know this from keeping an eye on his Flickr stream, but was given a strong jolt of a reminder of how dedication and passion drive great photography by his ongoing show at Arch in Shanghai. If you are in town, be sure to see it. The images look fantastic in their printed form. If you're not in town, well, at least we can count on there being more shows from Don in future. One more thing that needs to be said, Don is a generous spirit and great guy."
December 5th, 2006
Mervin Lei says:
"All I can say is wow!! I can't believe I've missed this photostream this whole time I've been on Flickr. Very moody stuff that is extremely well lit and composed. Thanks for sharing your craft... good thing you switched to lenses or the world would never see your perspective of Shanghai."
November 21st, 2006
el patojo says:
"theshanghaieye is one of my favorites photographers. He has the ability to capture the essence of the moment. Once you see his photostream you´ll be faving them all just like I did."
October 15th, 2006
Rainer Jacob says:
"I am observing his work from the other side of the world. His eyes are set on Shanghai but when you look deeper you get a wider view. You find a very unique person behind the viewfinder. Much more than you might get at a first glance. He contributes his personal visions to a community that shares viewpoints and helps building a www. visual culture in times of Web 2.0 and you can feel that his look at life comes from a painter full of passion. Happy to call us friends by inspiring us vice versa consistently. I recommend his work to be viewed carefully. It can only help to make our minds expand."
September 27th, 2006
jon madison says:
"I'm gonna write a testimonial for this guy solely based on Tommy Oshima's recommendation...If it's good enough for Oshimasan, it's good enough for me! :-)"
August 28th, 2006
"I am quite impressed with theshanghaieye's straight forward "eyes" toward the people and the city of Shanghai. There are not much exaggerations nor decorations in the images I see, but what's more important is that I see the truthness from every single shots. Shanghai is the place where I have my own obsession, and I feel so much pleasure to observe the "truth" of this city on this photostream!
The latest "Nanjing Road" series is a wonderful set to start the journey!"
August 23rd, 2006
- July 2006