Painting was my first addiction until I got high on turpentine in my cramped city dwelling. At the same time, doctors recommended exercise, so these days I scour the streets of Shanghai with my camera to fill the void of my former passion.
Today, I am a freelance photographer who has given up brushes for lenses and can breathe better with the aid of an occasional cigarette. God how I miss the smell of linseed oil.
My family portrait business website can be found here:
www.barefootportraits.org Or you can contact me directly through: +86-136-36499378.
2006.08.22 - ps. Want to see more of China? I want to share more too. But my posts are limited. Donations for a pro account are most welcome. :)
2006.08.24 - Uh-oh Tommy-san has just raised expectations. I hope I can put up with the pressure. Thanks for the pro, Mr. Pro! Never heard of him? Well your missing half of the flickr experience. Visit his astounding photos at: www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/ You gotta see it to believe it.
2007.08.23 - Another year has passed. My pro account is expiring. Anyone willing to donate a pro account to this poor bloke?
2007.08.26 - Deepest gratitude to Sissi, who donated my pro account this year. Thank you very much!
Thanks for dropping by!
Photos of theshanghaieye (2)
- Before & After - A Sneak Peek into Processing 3,167 photos, 5,053 members
- Beijing 104,438 photos, 4,295 members
- Peoples of India 71,396 photos, 4,182 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,161 photos, 17,658 members
- Shanghai Flickr Meetup Slideshow 4,837 photos, 457 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 502,425 photos, 40,613 members
- Are You Experienced? 10,007 photos, 678 members
- Global Photojournalism 502,754 photos, 24,207 members
- The Visible Photographer (*NOT POSED* Street Photos) 56 photos, 925 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 472,758 photos, 12,916 members
- Travel Photography 4,191,793 photos, 136,146 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges -- 'Ten' (we're 10 years old!) 147,694 photos, 16,160 members
- The Dog House 95,330 photos, 5,046 members
- MACROPOLS -- City of Awesome Macro Shots (read the rules!) 1,699 photos, 175 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 487,869 photos, 63,715 members
- Philippines 162,100 photos, 8,299 members
- simplicity 131,591 photos, 6,585 members
- Pinoy Faves! 6,837 photos, 538 members
- FlickrCentral 9,428,729 photos, 261,132 members
- Show and Tell (the story behinde published photos) 51 photos, 41 members
- Killer Portrait 685 photos, 143 members
- Asians of the World 77,672 photos, 2,046 members
- 1-2-3 China 1,882 photos, 120 members
- * Vanishing Points * 207,346 photos, 42,145 members
- Decisive Moment 59,707 photos, 36,845 members
- People in the City 692,442 photos, 14,339 members
- Face 392,253 photos, 16,574 members
- WORLD CITIES HUB 30,142 photos, 1,155 members
- HCB's "The Decisive Moment" 471 photos, 7,564 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 26,429 photos, 6,258 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 18,996 photos, 940 members
- Strobist.com 609,017 photos, 123,584 members
- * in上海 / shanghai 72,289 photos, 3,291 members
- Art-Redux 912 photos, 173 members
- Flickr's Cutest Kids.... 14,343 photos, 1,417 members
- Bending Light 12,468 photos, 3,486 members
- Studio Shots 107,991 photos, 9,522 members
- Child Photography Using a Flash/Studio Lighting 18,682 photos, 3,095 members
- Canon Speedlite 37,264 photos, 4,030 members
- Cheers ® Read the Rules ® 327 photos, 195 members
- Flickritis: Where 71,814 people are still happily infected! 5,567,142 photos, 73,614 members
- The Real Street Photography 1,310,528 photos, 39,708 members
- Filipino Pride 38,836 photos, 1,945 members
- Pinoy Flickrs 129,954 photos, 4,713 members
- Pinoy Photography 30,096 photos, 1,214 members
- Swimming in light 71,570 photos, 3,490 members
- shadow portraits 2,481 photos, 710 members
- Black and White 6,877,356 photos, 350,531 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 1,050,712 photos, 67,777 members
- B&W 4,978,242 photos, 221,534 members
A Glimpse of the World says:
"It has been amazing to see Don's development as a photographer. As someone who came new to the world of serious picture taking not long ago, he has advanced by leaps and bounds. I know this from keeping an eye on his Flickr stream, but was given a strong jolt of a reminder of how dedication and passion drive great photography by his ongoing show at Arch in Shanghai. If you are in town, be sure to see it. The images look fantastic in their printed form. If you're not in town, well, at least we can count on there being more shows from Don in future. One more thing that needs to be said, Don is a generous spirit and great guy."
December 5th, 2006
Mervin Lei says:
"All I can say is wow!! I can't believe I've missed this photostream this whole time I've been on Flickr. Very moody stuff that is extremely well lit and composed. Thanks for sharing your craft... good thing you switched to lenses or the world would never see your perspective of Shanghai."
November 21st, 2006
el patojo says:
"theshanghaieye is one of my favorites photographers. He has the ability to capture the essence of the moment. Once you see his photostream you´ll be faving them all just like I did."
October 15th, 2006
Rainer Jacob says:
"I am observing his work from the other side of the world. His eyes are set on Shanghai but when you look deeper you get a wider view. You find a very unique person behind the viewfinder. Much more than you might get at a first glance. He contributes his personal visions to a community that shares viewpoints and helps building a www. visual culture in times of Web 2.0 and you can feel that his look at life comes from a painter full of passion. Happy to call us friends by inspiring us vice versa consistently. I recommend his work to be viewed carefully. It can only help to make our minds expand."
September 27th, 2006
jon madison says:
"I'm gonna write a testimonial for this guy solely based on Tommy Oshima's recommendation...If it's good enough for Oshimasan, it's good enough for me! :-)"
August 28th, 2006
"I am quite impressed with theshanghaieye's straight forward "eyes" toward the people and the city of Shanghai. There are not much exaggerations nor decorations in the images I see, but what's more important is that I see the truthness from every single shots. Shanghai is the place where I have my own obsession, and I feel so much pleasure to observe the "truth" of this city on this photostream!
The latest "Nanjing Road" series is a wonderful set to start the journey!"
August 23rd, 2006
- July 2006