Painting was my first addiction until I got high on turpentine in my cramped city dwelling. At the same time, doctors recommended exercise, so these days I scour the streets of Shanghai with my camera to fill the void of my former passion.
Today, I am a freelance photographer who has given up brushes for lenses and can breathe better with the aid of an occasional cigarette. God how I miss the smell of linseed oil.
My family portrait business website can be found here:
www.barefootportraits.org Or you can contact me directly through: +86-136-36499378.
2006.08.22 - ps. Want to see more of China? I want to share more too. But my posts are limited. Donations for a pro account are most welcome. :)
2006.08.24 - Uh-oh Tommy-san has just raised expectations. I hope I can put up with the pressure. Thanks for the pro, Mr. Pro! Never heard of him? Well your missing half of the flickr experience. Visit his astounding photos at: www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/ You gotta see it to believe it.
2007.08.23 - Another year has passed. My pro account is expiring. Anyone willing to donate a pro account to this poor bloke?
2007.08.26 - Deepest gratitude to Sissi, who donated my pro account this year. Thank you very much!
Thanks for dropping by!
Photos of theshanghaieye (2)
- Before & After - A Sneak Peek into Processing 3,041 photos, 4,973 members
- Beijing 99,468 photos, 4,207 members
- Peoples of India 63,721 photos, 4,055 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,236 photos, 17,770 members
- Shanghai Flickr Meetup Slideshow 4,382 photos, 446 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 461,588 photos, 40,198 members
- Are You Experienced? 9,742 photos, 674 members
- Global Photojournalism 455,336 photos, 23,634 members
- The Visible Photographer (*NOT POSED* Street Photos) 2,303 photos, 938 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 397,285 photos, 12,051 members
- Travel Photography 3,207,807 photos, 115,657 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Sparkle' 129,837 photos, 15,487 members
- The Dog House 89,207 photos, 4,832 members
- MACROPOLS -- City of Awesome Macro Shots (read the rules!) 1,687 photos, 174 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 489,928 photos, 63,451 members
- Philippines 157,837 photos, 8,114 members
- simplicity 128,805 photos, 5,362 members
- Pinoy Faves! 6,385 photos, 525 members
- FlickrCentral 9,219,698 photos, 242,632 members
- Show and Tell (the story behinde published photos) 51 photos, 41 members
- Killer Portrait 692 photos, 145 members
- Asians of the World 68,027 photos, 1,905 members
- 1-2-3 China 1,581 photos, 116 members
- * Vanishing Points * 185,996 photos, 37,970 members
- Decisive Moment 60,882 photos, 31,154 members
- People in the City 552,518 photos, 12,881 members
- Face 337,106 photos, 15,572 members
- WORLD CITIES HUB 25,214 photos, 1,108 members
- HCB's "The Decisive Moment" 605 photos, 7,449 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 20,532 photos, 5,817 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 15,971 photos, 875 members
- Strobist.com 602,768 photos, 121,851 members
- * in上海 / shanghai 69,397 photos, 3,197 members
- Art-Redux 780 photos, 149 members
- Flickr's Cutest Kids.... 14,392 photos, 1,424 members
- Bending Light 12,622 photos, 3,509 members
- Studio Shots 97,130 photos, 9,010 members
- Child Photography Using a Flash/Studio Lighting 18,516 photos, 3,018 members
- Canon Speedlite 36,617 photos, 4,024 members
- Cheers ® Read the Rules ® 327 photos, 196 members
- Flickritis: Where 45,415people are still happily infected! 4,146,056 photos, 62,554 members
- The Real Street Photography 926,538 photos, 28,476 members
- Filipino Pride 37,413 photos, 1,934 members
- Pinoy Flickrs 121,903 photos, 4,639 members
- Pinoy Photography 25,309 photos, 1,175 members
- Swimming in light 65,439 photos, 3,384 members
- shadow portraits 2,436 photos, 704 members
- Black and White 6,691,882 photos, 329,654 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 908,120 photos, 62,744 members
- B&W 4,345,026 photos, 203,900 members
A Glimpse of the World says:
"It has been amazing to see Don's development as a photographer. As someone who came new to the world of serious picture taking not long ago, he has advanced by leaps and bounds. I know this from keeping an eye on his Flickr stream, but was given a strong jolt of a reminder of how dedication and passion drive great photography by his ongoing show at Arch in Shanghai. If you are in town, be sure to see it. The images look fantastic in their printed form. If you're not in town, well, at least we can count on there being more shows from Don in future. One more thing that needs to be said, Don is a generous spirit and great guy."
December 5th, 2006
Mervin Lei says:
"All I can say is wow!! I can't believe I've missed this photostream this whole time I've been on Flickr. Very moody stuff that is extremely well lit and composed. Thanks for sharing your craft... good thing you switched to lenses or the world would never see your perspective of Shanghai."
November 21st, 2006
el patojo says:
"theshanghaieye is one of my favorites photographers. He has the ability to capture the essence of the moment. Once you see his photostream you´ll be faving them all just like I did."
October 15th, 2006
Rainer Jacob says:
"I am observing his work from the other side of the world. His eyes are set on Shanghai but when you look deeper you get a wider view. You find a very unique person behind the viewfinder. Much more than you might get at a first glance. He contributes his personal visions to a community that shares viewpoints and helps building a www. visual culture in times of Web 2.0 and you can feel that his look at life comes from a painter full of passion. Happy to call us friends by inspiring us vice versa consistently. I recommend his work to be viewed carefully. It can only help to make our minds expand."
September 27th, 2006
jon madison says:
"I'm gonna write a testimonial for this guy solely based on Tommy Oshima's recommendation...If it's good enough for Oshimasan, it's good enough for me! :-)"
August 28th, 2006
"I am quite impressed with theshanghaieye's straight forward "eyes" toward the people and the city of Shanghai. There are not much exaggerations nor decorations in the images I see, but what's more important is that I see the truthness from every single shots. Shanghai is the place where I have my own obsession, and I feel so much pleasure to observe the "truth" of this city on this photostream!
The latest "Nanjing Road" series is a wonderful set to start the journey!"
August 23rd, 2006
- July 2006