Painting was my first addiction until I got high on turpentine in my cramped city dwelling. At the same time, doctors recommended exercise, so these days I scour the streets of Shanghai with my camera to fill the void of my former passion.
Today, I am a freelance photographer who has given up brushes for lenses and can breathe better with the aid of an occasional cigarette. God how I miss the smell of linseed oil.
My family portrait business website can be found here:
www.barefootportraits.org Or you can contact me directly through: +86-136-36499378.
2006.08.22 - ps. Want to see more of China? I want to share more too. But my posts are limited. Donations for a pro account are most welcome. :)
2006.08.24 - Uh-oh Tommy-san has just raised expectations. I hope I can put up with the pressure. Thanks for the pro, Mr. Pro! Never heard of him? Well your missing half of the flickr experience. Visit his astounding photos at: www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/ You gotta see it to believe it.
2007.08.23 - Another year has passed. My pro account is expiring. Anyone willing to donate a pro account to this poor bloke?
2007.08.26 - Deepest gratitude to Sissi, who donated my pro account this year. Thank you very much!
Thanks for dropping by!
Photos of theshanghaieye (2)
- Before & After - A Sneak Peek into Processing 3,010 photos, 4,928 members
- Beijing 98,148 photos, 4,173 members
- Peoples of India 62,190 photos, 3,997 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,254 photos, 17,796 members
- Shanghai Flickr Meetup Slideshow 4,317 photos, 446 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 449,970 photos, 40,059 members
- Are You Experienced? 10,086 photos, 672 members
- Global Photojournalism 440,745 photos, 23,366 members
- The Visible Photographer (*NOT POSED* Street Photos) 2,333 photos, 934 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 372,828 photos, 11,720 members
- Travel Photography 2,908,873 photos, 106,082 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Shift' 124,301 photos, 15,251 members
- The Dog House 83,880 photos, 4,735 members
- MACROPOLS -- City of Awesome Macro Shots (read the rules!) 1,710 photos, 174 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 490,682 photos, 63,411 members
- Philippines 156,615 photos, 8,055 members
- simplicity 119,290 photos, 5,154 members
- Pinoy Faves! 6,328 photos, 521 members
- FlickrCentral 8,650,358 photos, 232,988 members
- Show and Tell (the story behinde published photos) 51 photos, 41 members
- Killer Portrait 694 photos, 145 members
- Asians of the World 65,522 photos, 1,854 members
- 1-2-3 China 1,551 photos, 112 members
- * Vanishing Points * 178,904 photos, 35,716 members
- Decisive Moment 61,273 photos, 28,731 members
- People in the City 508,757 photos, 12,202 members
- Face 319,046 photos, 15,135 members
- WORLD CITIES HUB 23,864 photos, 1,071 members
- HCB's "The Decisive Moment" 576 photos, 7,393 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 19,270 photos, 5,682 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 14,902 photos, 855 members
- Strobist.com 600,436 photos, 120,978 members
- * in上海 / shanghai 68,702 photos, 3,156 members
- Art-Redux 716 photos, 139 members
- Flickr's Cutest Kids.... 14,368 photos, 1,427 members
- Bending Light 12,699 photos, 3,508 members
- Studio Shots 94,879 photos, 8,847 members
- Child Photography Using a Flash/Studio Lighting 18,550 photos, 2,996 members
- Canon Speedlite 36,456 photos, 4,023 members
- Cheers ® Read the Rules ® 328 photos, 196 members
- Flickritis: Where 45,415people are still happily infected! 3,725,693 photos, 57,582 members
- The Real Street Photography 804,372 photos, 22,874 members
- Filipino Pride 36,403 photos, 1,916 members
- Pinoy Flickrs 119,791 photos, 4,610 members
- Pinoy Photography 24,416 photos, 1,158 members
- Swimming in light 64,119 photos, 3,339 members
- shadow portraits 2,435 photos, 704 members
- Black and White 6,495,248 photos, 318,877 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 862,090 photos, 60,702 members
- B&W 4,130,251 photos, 194,893 members
A Glimpse of the World says:
"It has been amazing to see Don's development as a photographer. As someone who came new to the world of serious picture taking not long ago, he has advanced by leaps and bounds. I know this from keeping an eye on his Flickr stream, but was given a strong jolt of a reminder of how dedication and passion drive great photography by his ongoing show at Arch in Shanghai. If you are in town, be sure to see it. The images look fantastic in their printed form. If you're not in town, well, at least we can count on there being more shows from Don in future. One more thing that needs to be said, Don is a generous spirit and great guy."
December 5th, 2006
Mervin Lei says:
"All I can say is wow!! I can't believe I've missed this photostream this whole time I've been on Flickr. Very moody stuff that is extremely well lit and composed. Thanks for sharing your craft... good thing you switched to lenses or the world would never see your perspective of Shanghai."
November 21st, 2006
el patojo says:
"theshanghaieye is one of my favorites photographers. He has the ability to capture the essence of the moment. Once you see his photostream you´ll be faving them all just like I did."
October 15th, 2006
Rainer Jacob says:
"I am observing his work from the other side of the world. His eyes are set on Shanghai but when you look deeper you get a wider view. You find a very unique person behind the viewfinder. Much more than you might get at a first glance. He contributes his personal visions to a community that shares viewpoints and helps building a www. visual culture in times of Web 2.0 and you can feel that his look at life comes from a painter full of passion. Happy to call us friends by inspiring us vice versa consistently. I recommend his work to be viewed carefully. It can only help to make our minds expand."
September 27th, 2006
jon madison says:
"I'm gonna write a testimonial for this guy solely based on Tommy Oshima's recommendation...If it's good enough for Oshimasan, it's good enough for me! :-)"
August 28th, 2006
"I am quite impressed with theshanghaieye's straight forward "eyes" toward the people and the city of Shanghai. There are not much exaggerations nor decorations in the images I see, but what's more important is that I see the truthness from every single shots. Shanghai is the place where I have my own obsession, and I feel so much pleasure to observe the "truth" of this city on this photostream!
The latest "Nanjing Road" series is a wonderful set to start the journey!"
August 23rd, 2006
- July 2006