Like a cup of winter coffee, I cause burns like boiling water. Calculating and methodical, my photos meander through all aspects of everyday life. Who are the stars? Everyone I meet.
I want to begin by welcoming to my family of cameras, my NIKON D3S!! I have taken a big risk. I never ever thought I make this step. When I was at Nikon on Broadway last month, I left the shop taken a brochure of the D3S thinking - "It'll never happen". Then a month later it did! I brought it from Nikon refurbished and I'm so happy with it. It's low light capabilities at 12,800 ISO are incredible (new possibilities in every Cathedral and Church!) and it's speed is phenomenal. I never thought this could happen to me, and I'm so happy that something good has come from the D700 tragedy. I have reflected on this reasoning that I would not have make the D3S step had I not totally written off the D700. I now look forward to new opportunities and never waste the day. Fortune it seems, is on my side.
My Nikon D700 has shot 70,114 photos in 13 months and has been an incredible soldier in the Mission of providing the best photos. It's study construction and design and size has worked time and time again on Client photoshoots in every situation. Until this day - it rained lightly in Sydney as I was photographing the 2012 Walk With Christ and water seemed to get into the body. Then things started to fail, first I noticed that horizontal lines appeared in photos that I had just taken, then the Review button didn't work. I went home and used a vacuum cleaner to suck out the water and moisture. I sent the camera to Nikon On Broadway and they said that it wasn't covered by warranty. Oh great. It's a complete write-off. So I'm left without any Nikon camera and my list of jobs to complete are increasing. What am I going to do?!?!
My Pentax K20D has shot over 112,957 photos. It has been a true workhorse and more for me. It has been responsible for shooting all my weddings (except my first!) and being my most dependable camera. At the centre of my Pentax K20d is a core of hard work, sweat and plenty of running around for that "best shot" - every photo has been another happy memory either for myself or my clients! But business and fun have paid off very well, so I've now included a NIKON D700 to my camera family! I've matched it with a 24-70 f/2.8G lens and the performance is on that next level of photographic enlightenment! I love doing what I do and I've been blessed incredible enthusiasm and a keen eye for remarkable timing! I will continue to support FlickR with the best photos!
My photo operations have shifted up a gear. I've bought the Pentax K20d and have several weddings booked. I'm so excited because this is what I love doing - taking the best photos. This k20d rocks!
The Pentax K100d has taken over 60,000 images. The K100d has been a true workhorse and faithfully been at my side for some of the most amazing images I've ever seen. I've launched very quietly my own photography business and through my extensive contacts won a promising set of events. From birthdays, to Masses, I'm there!. I'm still amazed at the FlickR quality of the community and will renew membership for the max 2 year period soon! FlickR ON!
My Ricoh R1V broke down in April, after shooting 26,000 photos! In June I puchased my first digital SLR, a Pentax K100D. Two weeks later, I'd buy a $100 Ricoh Caplio GX. A new era has begun.
I'm slowly finding out that more of my friends are printing out my photos for their personal albums, wallets and folders. That's a really nice compliment without any words.
My Ricoh R1V is going very well, I took my 13,000th photo with it during the month. It's techinical performance vs size weight still astounds me.
Last month I dropped my KODAK DX3215 for the first time. Unlucky for me, I would never be able to drop it again - the focus mechanism, broke. But the good news is that I've been searching for a camera to last 5+ years AND I'VE FOUND IT!! I bought myself a 5MP RICOH CAPILO R1V with a 512mb SD card. I had been searching through specifications between many cameras with price and features criteria and this is the best for me. Check out my photos now - I'm on FIRE!! but before you run off and start loading my pics, I just want to take this time out to thank the Flickr community for stopping by and leaving comments while I was inactive on Flickr: thanks!
My friends' sponsored me with a pro account for my birthday and now I feel is the time to acknowledge that here: thanks to FNET contributors, for helping me along my way. Thanks heaps for this pro account - I won't let you guys down!!
armed with only a simple KODAK DX3215 with only 8mb (!!!) I take pics of the everyday lives of friends and strangers. I've been taking pics for about 7 years now and I have a massive personal gallery of more than 10,000 digital pics and 400 prints. Is taking a photograph addictive?- I think I'm too biased to answer.
I administer some groups on FlickR namely,
the Glebe Thinking pool, the W I D E S C R E E N pool, dedicated to patched digital photos and the University of Western Sydney pool for university life at UWS.
thepretenda's flickr score: 4582
Giovanni Portelli on Facebook
Photos of thepretenda (4)
- Nuns - Catholic Sisters & Brothers service to humanity 7,329 photos, 197 members
- Combat Boots 204 photos, 171 members
- Faces in Places 26,850 photos, 7,310 members
- Catholic to the Max 5,104 photos, 144 members
- Catholicism 24,409 photos, 614 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 156,231 photos, 11,045 members
- Sydney Royal Easter Show 1,214 photos, 100 members
- Catholic Hospitals, Schools and buildings 7,101 photos, 125 members
- Middle Eastern Dance 5,780 photos, 644 members
- JE SUIS CHARLIE 1,862 photos, 429 members
- Je suis Charlie / #JeSuisCharlie 1,087 photos, 202 members
- Travel and social reportage (respect rules or be banned) 51,597 photos, 2,237 members
- "Je suis Charlie" 4,097 photos, 992 members
- The Brenizer Method 7,735 photos, 5,812 members
- Spoke Cards 524 photos, 269 members
- Project Weather 637,539 photos, 94,215 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 9,527 photos, 292 members
- Hawkesbury, NSW, Australia 776 photos, 57 members
- FOCUS - (Australia - Seascape & Landscape Photography) 60,487 photos, 1,800 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 621,103 photos, 44,809 members
- University of Sydney 2,510 photos, 209 members
- University Campus 10,840 photos, 833 members
- FASHION AND GLAMOUR 231,886 photos, 9,394 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 293,798 photos, 23,478 members
- NIKON FASHION 10,055 photos, 678 members
- FashionPhotographyBlog.com 82,669 photos, 15,350 members
- Lebanese cuisine 114 photos, 15 members
- Lebanon 20,735 photos, 1,547 members
- Lamborghini Huracán LP610-4 196 photos, 190 members
- Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 AI 1,764 photos, 373 members
- Altars Big and Small 6,893 photos, 355 members
- Forefront Art 20,004 photos, 575 members
- Flickr Friday 31,881 photos, 37,469 members
- Ticketstubs 3,970 photos, 235 members
- VW Golf VII 79 photos, 192 members
- HALLOWEEN WORLDWIDE 40,643 photos, 7,170 members
- Wedding Details & Ideas 65,362 photos, 10,140 members
- Wedding Photographers 221,921 photos, 28,958 members
- Emotive Portraiture 183,892 photos, 7,819 members
- Wedding photographer in the world 69,680 photos, 7,996 members
- PORTRAITS you can fall in love with... 500,757 photos, 23,249 members
- Fashion World 199,416 photos, 11,423 members
- Professional Wedding Photographer 70,397 photos, 5,359 members
- Love is.... 153,450 photos, 12,805 members
- ~ Creative Weddings ~ 54,552 photos, 4,687 members
- Revuenon 55mm f/1.2 757 photos, 132 members
- Superfast lenses, f/1.0 and below 14,441 photos, 1,058 members
- Roman Empire 55,423 photos, 2,850 members
- Through the Viewfinder 59,480 photos, 7,032 members
- Wedding Photography Business 41,823 photos, 6,682 members
Andy... You Goonie! says:
"Even though he may be from down under and even though we've never met, I've always felt like a part of Giovanni's journey. I find his photos to be both edgy and fresh. He always manages to capture an image and make it his own. I do wish you the best of luck in all that you do and am a huge fan of your photography.
Never say die!
April 26th, 2007
Thank You for Sharing.
July 11th, 2006
"A prolific and talented photographer. Who else would commit a complete set of School year photos to the web, as well as a pre-birth radiograph? (An amazing example of the web's potential for documentation.) The pretenda is a master of the medium, a documenter, a serializer, a scrutinizer, an original. He is encouraging to others, an artist with David Lean-style widescreens, and always worth a visit."
February 16th, 2006
Dr Snafu says:
"The Pretenda is a machine. Not a bad 'take over the world and destroy mankind' type of machine, he's a friendly flickr-bot. Flickr is only as good as the people who submit photos and Pretenda is the best type of flickr deviant there is. Not only is he a nice guy, but when it comes to photography the man just does not stop. Even a broken camera can't hold him back!"
June 23rd, 2005
"What does one say about Pretenda? Indeed, what does one say about a true hero of our times? A battlemage for the forces of good and light, a sage giver of advice and a prudent pillar of religious zeal. Because these are what Pretenda is, a true giant amongst fleas. A bastion of all that is brilliant. Pretenda, a true champion, a giver of good things and the founder of the internet."
August 12th, 2004
- Giovanni Portelli
- August 2004
- STARCITY CASINO
- SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- University Graduate with a career path that is modeled on Michael J. Fox's "The Secret Of My Success"
- :: The FNET ::