It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 35,901 photos, 3,058 members
- Tuesday's Textures NO 30/60 45,112 photos, 1,605 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 146,286 photos, 4,503 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,927 photos, 1,701 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,374 photos, 76 members
- World Astronomy 1,484 photos, 164 members
- Berkeleyside 15,504 photos, 429 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 427,522 photos, 4,310 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 46,002 photos, 1,857 members
- Grey and Brown 4,752 photos, 318 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 57,557 photos, 2,470 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 93,935 photos, 5,034 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 377,436 photos, 23,869 members
- Fenced Friday 79,159 photos, 4,394 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,387 photos, 142 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,365 photos, 259 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 12,070 photos, 4,108 members
- astrometry 77,376 photos, 7,884 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 167,853 photos, 14,027 members
- The Gondola Project 1,401 photos, 185 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,624 photos, 1,661 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 91,785 photos, 2,792 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 104,113 photos, 9,190 members
- Alternative Views 154,430 photos, 4,531 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,834 photos, 2,983 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 14,050 photos, 2,894 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,998 photos, 6,090 members
- all but one 12,904 photos, 1,499 members
- 500x500 310,319 photos, 7,536 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 24,976 photos, 1,617 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 46,903 photos, 2,265 members
- Experimentation 147,973 photos, 10,899 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,094,462 photos, 130,330 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 100,467 photos, 8,648 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 118,931 photos, 5,180 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,835 photos, 2,574 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 121,384 photos, 28,924 members
- Mundane Details 166,802 photos, 5,757 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 123,191 photos, 3,718 members
- Minimalist art 116,425 photos, 6,399 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 31,074 photos, 3,926 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,169 photos, 623 members
- background: sky 65,073 photos, 2,796 members
- silhouette 397,729 photos, 64,629 members
- Six Word Story 38,015 photos, 3,238 members
- shadows 231,120 photos, 21,807 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 215,963 photos, 15,613 members
- Power Lines 24,453 photos, 4,391 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2018 940,357 photos, 89,822 members
- Natural Macros 259,450 photos, 8,483 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006