It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 32,150 photos, 2,862 members
- Tuesday's Textures #NO 30/60 37,019 photos, 1,381 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 128,730 photos, 4,472 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,917 photos, 1,734 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,453 photos, 76 members
- World Astronomy 1,488 photos, 163 members
- Berkeleyside 15,033 photos, 419 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 408,526 photos, 4,309 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 42,837 photos, 1,818 members
- Grey and Brown 4,558 photos, 306 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 53,144 photos, 2,410 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 89,381 photos, 4,891 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 369,189 photos, 24,132 members
- Fenced Friday 74,022 photos, 4,304 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,381 photos, 142 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,410 photos, 259 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 9,807 photos, 4,022 members
- astrometry 72,937 photos, 7,699 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 144,637 photos, 13,218 members
- The Gondola Project 1,403 photos, 184 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,636 photos, 1,652 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 90,166 photos, 2,767 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 101,653 photos, 9,092 members
- Alternative Views 149,670 photos, 4,532 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,403 photos, 2,960 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 13,848 photos, 2,920 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,937 photos, 6,086 members
- all but one 12,919 photos, 1,511 members
- 500x500 312,035 photos, 7,605 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 25,283 photos, 1,625 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 46,983 photos, 2,278 members
- Experimentation 147,387 photos, 10,962 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,076,086 photos, 130,450 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 99,668 photos, 8,716 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 119,702 photos, 5,232 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,732 photos, 2,550 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 122,906 photos, 29,015 members
- Mundane Details 162,329 photos, 5,765 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 123,282 photos, 3,742 members
- Minimalist art 111,026 photos, 6,277 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,842 photos, 3,942 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,186 photos, 627 members
- background: sky 64,282 photos, 2,796 members
- silhouette 402,294 photos, 63,812 members
- Six Word Story 39,124 photos, 3,249 members
- shadows 225,926 photos, 21,792 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 209,363 photos, 15,486 members
- Power Lines 23,975 photos, 4,366 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2018 937,780 photos, 89,702 members
- Natural Macros 246,887 photos, 8,388 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006