It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 34,319 photos, 2,974 members
- Tuesday's Textures #NO 30/60 42,196 photos, 1,531 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 139,615 photos, 4,497 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,929 photos, 1,709 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,374 photos, 76 members
- World Astronomy 1,487 photos, 165 members
- Berkeleyside 15,206 photos, 426 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 421,663 photos, 4,313 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 44,967 photos, 1,845 members
- Grey and Brown 4,689 photos, 312 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 55,952 photos, 2,459 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 92,525 photos, 4,998 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 374,190 photos, 23,927 members
- Fenced Friday 77,133 photos, 4,365 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,387 photos, 141 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,369 photos, 258 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 11,237 photos, 4,071 members
- astrometry 75,254 photos, 7,803 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 160,809 photos, 13,822 members
- The Gondola Project 1,402 photos, 184 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,366 photos, 1,649 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 90,636 photos, 2,783 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 103,379 photos, 9,160 members
- Alternative Views 152,634 photos, 4,527 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,657 photos, 2,975 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 14,023 photos, 2,895 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,927 photos, 6,087 members
- all but one 12,890 photos, 1,503 members
- 500x500 309,929 photos, 7,549 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 24,805 photos, 1,620 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 46,643 photos, 2,265 members
- Experimentation 147,610 photos, 10,915 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,086,962 photos, 130,267 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 99,777 photos, 8,651 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 118,851 photos, 5,194 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,865 photos, 2,568 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 121,633 photos, 28,922 members
- Mundane Details 165,267 photos, 5,741 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 122,603 photos, 3,717 members
- Minimalist art 114,531 photos, 6,357 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,932 photos, 3,925 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,170 photos, 625 members
- background: sky 64,834 photos, 2,794 members
- silhouette 395,184 photos, 64,300 members
- Six Word Story 37,435 photos, 3,234 members
- shadows 229,472 photos, 21,766 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 213,780 photos, 15,569 members
- Power Lines 24,180 photos, 4,372 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2018 938,821 photos, 89,752 members
- Natural Macros 254,750 photos, 8,441 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006