It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 33,323 photos, 2,939 members
- Tuesday's Textures #NO 30/60 39,212 photos, 1,452 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 134,019 photos, 4,499 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,929 photos, 1,728 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,438 photos, 76 members
- World Astronomy 1,487 photos, 163 members
- Berkeleyside 15,269 photos, 423 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 414,805 photos, 4,318 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 44,362 photos, 1,835 members
- Grey and Brown 4,693 photos, 310 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 54,908 photos, 2,451 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 90,861 photos, 4,973 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 373,438 photos, 24,097 members
- Fenced Friday 76,110 photos, 4,341 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,387 photos, 142 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,370 photos, 259 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 10,429 photos, 4,065 members
- astrometry 73,939 photos, 7,760 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 154,237 photos, 13,632 members
- The Gondola Project 1,403 photos, 185 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,830 photos, 1,667 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 90,991 photos, 2,787 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 102,600 photos, 9,174 members
- Alternative Views 151,156 photos, 4,540 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,518 photos, 2,980 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 13,983 photos, 2,918 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 23,079 photos, 6,103 members
- all but one 12,907 photos, 1,507 members
- 500x500 310,658 photos, 7,595 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 24,727 photos, 1,626 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 47,191 photos, 2,275 members
- Experimentation 147,560 photos, 10,956 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,083,038 photos, 130,560 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 99,077 photos, 8,715 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 119,723 photos, 5,224 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,670 photos, 2,566 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 122,283 photos, 29,007 members
- Mundane Details 163,924 photos, 5,767 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 122,191 photos, 3,739 members
- Minimalist art 112,856 photos, 6,351 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,837 photos, 3,942 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,175 photos, 626 members
- background: sky 64,560 photos, 2,804 members
- silhouette 405,148 photos, 64,212 members
- Six Word Story 40,096 photos, 3,248 members
- shadows 227,962 photos, 21,822 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 211,752 photos, 15,574 members
- Power Lines 24,174 photos, 4,378 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2018 937,868 photos, 89,919 members
- Natural Macros 250,646 photos, 8,423 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006