It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 37,415 photos, 3,156 members
- Tuesday's Textures 46,080 photos, 1,688 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 151,214 photos, 4,475 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,875 photos, 1,679 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,363 photos, 76 members
- World Astronomy 1,471 photos, 165 members
- Berkeleyside 16,078 photos, 433 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 427,273 photos, 4,309 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 46,779 photos, 1,863 members
- Grey and Brown 4,843 photos, 321 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 57,945 photos, 2,467 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 93,953 photos, 5,080 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 374,433 photos, 23,783 members
- Fenced Friday 79,629 photos, 4,421 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,331 photos, 139 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,349 photos, 260 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 12,892 photos, 4,146 members
- astrometry 77,807 photos, 7,921 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 172,794 photos, 14,232 members
- The Gondola Project 1,382 photos, 183 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,708 photos, 1,661 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 91,645 photos, 2,809 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 103,458 photos, 9,185 members
- Alternative Views 153,589 photos, 4,531 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,744 photos, 2,989 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 13,621 photos, 2,879 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,983 photos, 6,066 members
- all but one 12,818 photos, 1,492 members
- 500x500 304,576 photos, 7,506 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 24,336 photos, 1,622 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 46,665 photos, 2,258 members
- Experimentation 146,830 photos, 10,871 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,088,846 photos, 130,023 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 99,922 photos, 8,612 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 118,285 photos, 5,163 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,560 photos, 2,574 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 119,194 photos, 28,809 members
- Mundane Details 164,602 photos, 5,751 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 122,706 photos, 3,711 members
- Minimalist art 116,668 photos, 6,456 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,907 photos, 3,920 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 6,997 photos, 620 members
- background: sky 63,519 photos, 2,790 members
- silhouette 393,850 photos, 64,650 members
- Six Word Story 31,426 photos, 3,219 members
- shadows 224,601 photos, 21,823 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 215,423 photos, 15,636 members
- Power Lines 24,306 photos, 4,385 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2019 929,367 photos, 89,521 members
- Natural Macros 258,182 photos, 8,485 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006