It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 37,052 photos, 3,128 members
- Tuesday's Textures 47,093 photos, 1,669 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 149,454 photos, 4,479 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,879 photos, 1,687 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,364 photos, 76 members
- World Astronomy 1,471 photos, 165 members
- Berkeleyside 15,941 photos, 432 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 426,384 photos, 4,302 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 46,298 photos, 1,860 members
- Grey and Brown 4,827 photos, 320 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 57,542 photos, 2,467 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 93,798 photos, 5,080 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 373,882 photos, 23,791 members
- Fenced Friday 78,931 photos, 4,411 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,358 photos, 140 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,349 photos, 260 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 12,693 photos, 4,140 members
- astrometry 77,592 photos, 7,904 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 170,963 photos, 14,158 members
- The Gondola Project 1,382 photos, 183 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,753 photos, 1,661 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 91,485 photos, 2,809 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 103,198 photos, 9,183 members
- Alternative Views 153,402 photos, 4,532 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,805 photos, 2,985 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 13,609 photos, 2,881 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,981 photos, 6,075 members
- all but one 12,831 photos, 1,494 members
- 500x500 306,407 photos, 7,511 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 24,282 photos, 1,622 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 46,614 photos, 2,259 members
- Experimentation 146,870 photos, 10,875 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,089,307 photos, 130,103 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 99,863 photos, 8,614 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 118,364 photos, 5,163 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,643 photos, 2,575 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 119,742 photos, 28,852 members
- Mundane Details 164,739 photos, 5,756 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 122,765 photos, 3,711 members
- Minimalist art 116,165 photos, 6,439 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,881 photos, 3,919 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,007 photos, 621 members
- background: sky 63,682 photos, 2,789 members
- silhouette 394,219 photos, 64,688 members
- Six Word Story 31,444 photos, 3,223 members
- shadows 231,237 photos, 21,826 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 215,301 photos, 15,632 members
- Power Lines 24,387 photos, 4,378 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2019 931,345 photos, 89,630 members
- Natural Macros 257,345 photos, 8,491 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006