It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- New Wall Wednesday 8,963 photos, 743 members
- Sky @ Night 26,223 photos, 2,461 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 109,299 photos, 4,316 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,997 photos, 1,768 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,422 photos, 74 members
- World Astronomy 1,501 photos, 150 members
- Berkeleyside 14,483 photos, 404 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 378,724 photos, 4,322 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 35,929 photos, 1,673 members
- Grey and Brown 4,162 photos, 270 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 47,132 photos, 2,242 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 83,314 photos, 4,652 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 355,868 photos, 24,097 members
- Fenced Friday 65,387 photos, 3,964 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,345 photos, 137 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,446 photos, 265 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 6,375 photos, 3,875 members
- astrometry 66,679 photos, 7,273 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 110,356 photos, 10,474 members
- The Gondola Project 1,412 photos, 184 members
- Hugin Users Group 17,425 photos, 1,631 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 82,725 photos, 2,681 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 96,903 photos, 8,844 members
- Alternative Views 137,342 photos, 4,462 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 20,277 photos, 2,896 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 13,718 photos, 2,932 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,659 photos, 6,038 members
- all but one 12,915 photos, 1,526 members
- 500x500 308,617 photos, 7,593 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 24,522 photos, 1,646 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 46,389 photos, 2,281 members
- Experimentation 141,211 photos, 10,971 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,045,186 photos, 129,977 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 96,340 photos, 8,722 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 119,067 photos, 5,294 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,254 photos, 2,498 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 124,702 photos, 28,808 members
- Mundane Details 152,836 photos, 5,704 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 118,912 photos, 3,710 members
- Minimalist art 100,311 photos, 6,024 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,230 photos, 3,929 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,277 photos, 638 members
- background: sky 61,578 photos, 2,748 members
- silhouette 390,006 photos, 61,734 members
- Six Word Story 37,196 photos, 3,260 members
- shadows 211,427 photos, 21,445 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 199,750 photos, 15,215 members
- Power Lines 23,509 photos, 4,328 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2016 948,797 photos, 89,019 members
- Natural Macros 223,772 photos, 8,144 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006