It's important to take bad pictures.
-- Diane Arbus
I photograph to see what things look like photographed.
-- Garry Winograd
One can look at seeing; one can not hear hearing.
-- Marcel Duchamp, 1934
Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head.
-- Ed Ruscha
It’s a very weird thing being a photographer.
-- Danny Lyon, April 2009, in NYT interview
Always easy to snap the shutter, never easy to get an image.
-- Abe Frajndlich, in an essay on Photographing photographers
My Favorite Artistic Advice: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA&feature=player_em...
A photograph is an amazing thing. How incredible to capture something that travels 186,000 miles per second. How astonishing to stop time. I believe it is important to keep a sense of wonder about the whole process, because it takes the edge off of the disappointment when your shot turns out blurry and overexposed -- or worse: tack sharp, brightly colored, and just like a thousand other pictures you've already seen before.
In keeping with this point of view, I have very strict ethical principles when it comes to digital manipulation of photographs, and those principles can be summed up in two words: anything goes. (and it goes better with the gimp) Now I don't think you should alter a picture and then lie about it, and so I want to warn anybody who looks at my pictures that they very well could have been manipulated. In some cases it is obvious, and that's the whole point of the picture. In other cases, I actually tried to cover my tracks, and this is arguably dishonest. But it is meant to be dishonest in the way that fiction is dishonest: you know it's not really real, but you like it better if it is realistic.
Excuse me if it sounds like I have a philosophy of photography; I don't mean to. I am impressed and intrigued by all kinds of pictures, and if I ever tried to put my finger on why (especially: why this image but not that one), then any set of rules I might devise would be definitively contradicted by the briefest flickr tour.
Thank you for including my photostream in your tour.
I'm Male and Taken.
- Sky @ Night 31,826 photos, 2,839 members
- Tuesday's Textures 36,486 photos, 1,378 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 127,131 photos, 4,462 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,909 photos, 1,743 members
- *noir eT blanc* 1,453 photos, 77 members
- World Astronomy 1,488 photos, 162 members
- Berkeleyside 15,491 photos, 416 members
- bitches brew | NO PEOPLE!!! 407,541 photos, 4,315 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 42,379 photos, 1,813 members
- Grey and Brown 4,514 photos, 303 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 52,552 photos, 2,398 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 89,184 photos, 4,869 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 367,773 photos, 24,133 members
- Fenced Friday 73,527 photos, 4,295 members
- Trash Talk Tuesday - Open for business! 24/7/365 1,380 photos, 142 members
- Flags Of Imaginary Countries 5,426 photos, 259 members
- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro Lens 9,643 photos, 4,003 members
- astrometry 72,560 photos, 7,664 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 141,985 photos, 13,107 members
- The Gondola Project 1,409 photos, 184 members
- Hugin Users Group 18,551 photos, 1,648 members
- abstract/surreal/strange795 89,788 photos, 2,759 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 101,491 photos, 9,077 members
- Alternative Views 149,038 photos, 4,529 members
- Macro Household (no insects, flowers) 21,150 photos, 2,956 members
- Out Of Bounds (OOB) Creations 13,861 photos, 2,921 members
- Flickr Challenge Group! 22,898 photos, 6,090 members
- all but one 12,918 photos, 1,511 members
- 500x500 312,104 photos, 7,604 members
- Diagonal Love Affair 25,252 photos, 1,628 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 47,012 photos, 2,280 members
- Experimentation 147,317 photos, 10,970 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,073,801 photos, 130,416 members
- Wallpapers (1024x768 minimum) 99,477 photos, 8,717 members
- 'It's magical' Photo Manipulation [New Rules◇NO Nudity] 119,728 photos, 5,239 members
- COM-minimal (post 1, COM-ment 2) 25,682 photos, 2,548 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 123,130 photos, 29,028 members
- Mundane Details 162,104 photos, 5,763 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 123,018 photos, 3,743 members
- Minimalist art 110,334 photos, 6,254 members
- Everything about Zebra,Stripes and Geometry 30,826 photos, 3,942 members
- A lot of ..........(!!! changes. Please read the rules!) 7,218 photos, 627 members
- background: sky 64,207 photos, 2,800 members
- silhouette 401,818 photos, 63,682 members
- Six Word Story 38,798 photos, 3,249 members
- shadows 225,367 photos, 21,793 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 208,722 photos, 15,464 members
- Power Lines 24,095 photos, 4,367 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2017 938,035 photos, 89,660 members
- Natural Macros 245,916 photos, 8,393 members
"..a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, to paraphrase a quote from Winston Churchill describes theilr's unique perspective of reality fueled through his calculating imagination and wit. I vividly remember a few years back, coming across his intriguing and creative images that for the most part evaded or were overlooked by the rest of us. What I'm referring to is subject matter that is just beneath our noses, macros to be exact. His work showed me, you need not be a globetrotter to find that elusive image, when it's in arm's reach, so to speak.
However as much as macro's are his forte, he does expand outside the boundaries of his niche in exploring other possibilities that are also original and profound. Once in awhile he does take an ordinary (gasp!) looking photo to remind us, it doesn't have be always spectacular.
Finally let me say, I've been most inspired of his images and have unashamedly lifted an idea or two to grace my own work.
So I invite viewers of all stripes, to explore to theilr's unique and varied visions that will delight, puzzle and send you off in a wild ride.
I believe I'm finished now :0)"
December 9th, 2010
"Theilr's stream is a visit into an altered world - sometimes naturally occuring (he has an eye for the deranged, goofy and miraculously odd appearances of this universe) but also often photoshopped - from the simple alterations that resemble what we think we call reality, to the more complex and clearly altered photographs, which have made me seriously rethink (though not yet renage) my "purist photoshop-less" ways.
Hip hip hooray for Theilr!"
August 18th, 2008
Foot Slogger says:
"I love theilr's quirky sense of humour. His photos aren't bad either :o) . But what impresses me most is the intelligent and thoughtful comments he makes on my photos. It always gives me a boost to know he's taken the trouble to really LOOK."
May 8th, 2008
- July 2006