Hi, I'm Thane Plambeck.
Barry Manilow was once asked, "What is the number one misconception about Barry Manilow?" And Barry Manilow responded, "That Barry Manilow is not a cool guy."
If there's a lesson in that anecdote, I've lost it in the time it took me to type it in. Perhaps it will come to me as I continue typing.
You may know me as the administrator of the paper towel and toilet paper roll IDs group. That's right, check inside those cardboard tubes. You'll find there are identification numbers in there. I'm not saying it's a big conspiracy. No. But do please take the time and calmly proceed to your nearest roll. Find the ID, take a photo of it, and post it to the group. Little by little, we are working out these mysterious codes and their secret meanings.
There's a theory behind the operation of my company name generator, but it's only hinted at on that page. People ask me how the generator works, and I've answered, but people rarely understand the explanation. Let's just say it involves Markov chains and trigraphs. I can see your eyes are glazing over, already.
I've fought noxious weeds professionally. My teacher was Zane Roper, and people called us the "Ane Crew", as in "Zane and Thane." Zane's dead now, but I live on, at least for the moment, andI hopewell into the far distant future, as well.
People have trouble with my name.
I tried to learn general relativity.
Starbucks rejected my suggestion for a decaf coffee label.
I'm Stuck at Q.
Robert Nozick: "Something essential is omitted from the account of the badness of death by an analysis which treats it as a deprivation of possibilities" agree or disagree? You may find it useful to think along the lines of Spores.
I'm interested in mathematical theories of losing. Here's a somewhat recent summary arxiv.org/abs/math/0603027 that filled in a lot of gaps and extended the theory quite a bit. If you really want to know about it, maybe you should come to Banff, where I'm sure I'll be saying something on the subjectNOTE TO SELF: prepare slides!
I'm the mysterious actor behind many web sites, including plambeck.org, www.kothreat.com, www.g4g8.com, www.timanllc.com, www.counterwave.com, fearthegoggle.com, miseregames.org, and advances in losing. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them just now.
Here's another one: www.plambeckgenealogy.org.
Photos of thane (5)
- GREAT PANOS 51,249 photos, 3,586 members
- Halifax - the hub of Atlantic Canada 1,350 photos, 63 members
- St Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church, San Francisco 258 photos, 7 members
- Cat Friends 46,347 photos, 5,857 members
- Tokens 1,922 photos, 139 members
- Gladding McBean Factory 162 photos, 30 members
- iPhone Cubism 601 photos, 523 members
- Paper towel and Toilet paper roll ID's 11 photos, 5 members
- Fire near the Dish, Stanford 105 photos, 8 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 13,316 photos, 844 members
- starbucks name game 48 photos, 86 members
- Posted 1,885 photos, 302 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,915 members
- London Black Cabs 5,272 photos, 889 members
- Elf Yourself 56 photos, 360 members
- Passing Notes... 52 photos, 25 members
- HOT DOGS 3,887 photos, 1,067 members
- Ambigram 2,772 photos, 406 members
- Space Needle 13,345 photos, 2,364 members
- Sunlight / Luz do sol 22,425 photos, 1,917 members
- Wheelbarrows and Trolleys 361 photos, 104 members
- One Feather 2,878 photos, 1,458 members
- Lucky Legs 1,386 photos, 230 members
- ROBOTS: technology + pop culture 20,046 photos, 3,821 members
- JK - PhotoGraphics & Poems 870 photos, 142 members
- Gas Pump Sticker Shock 1,555 photos, 110 members
- Chess 10,656 photos, 2,708 members
thane doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Thane Plambeck
- June 2004
- Palo Alto, California
- I am: