"Ga-Ken Wan follows his own fascinations and doesn't flinch from the challenges...photographs which capture something of the modern urban experience."
- The Scotsman
"His eye has a way of alchemizing every social encounter into something at once synaptic and fresh, yet cool and composed... the hipper, headier, film-version of our lives."
- Lock Up Your Daughters
"Such an incredible eye, backed up by a sublime technical mastery" - Martin Firrell
My name's Tommy (29, Glasgow), I'm a photographer. I have a collection of my best work here, which is a good starting point if you've just stumbled across this page.
I work internationally, photographing theatre, opera and film sets. I'm also the resident judge on The Big Shot (Channel 5, Singapore).
Any comments which are disparaging or insulting to the people in my photo's will be removed.
All my images are for sale as prints or are available to be licensed, and I'm available for commissions worldwide. For more information, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Divine (open group) 2,072 photos, 57 members
- Glasgow Life 180 photos, 100 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 99,320 photos, 7,309 members
- Glasgow In Pictures 595 photos, 43 members
- Singapore Plus65 - Photos from Singapura, The Lion City! 116,145 photos, 3,503 members
- Singapore Images 181,028 photos, 7,180 members
- Glasgow Skeptics 3 photos, 9 members
- Oxfam Bookshop Glasgow Postcard Competition 212 photos, 32 members
- Instruction #1 336 photos, 1,448 members
- Indie Kids 193,006 photos, 9,370 members
- Noesis 17,188 photos, 660 members
- i&n 457 photos, 98 members
- Tiny Plays About Britain 96 photos, 56 members
- Brutal DOF / 暴力景深 1,430 photos, 230 members
- Alasdair Gray 66 photos, 18 members
- Nob - Men Style 1,178 photos, 440 members
- Ayrshire 29,877 photos, 679 members
- Not A Crime 496 photos, 1,794 members
- CinemAsia 2,688 photos, 363 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 891,320 photos, 31,396 members
- Young Photographers UK 23,835 photos, 1,151 members
- Cinematic Romantics 1,663 photos, 270 members
- Street or Studio 1,983 photos, 2,400 members
- handbag camera 906 photos, 61 members
- Bladerunner 10,157 photos, 1,115 members
- Glasgow-alt 4,084 photos, 211 members
- Oor Ain Folk: The People Of Scotland 13,329 photos, 342 members
- Cinema and Photography 122,645 photos, 6,230 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,090 photos, 76,565 members
- photo[Slap] 36,641 photos, 2,976 members
- The Best Young Photographers on Flickr 1,458 photos, 156 members
- electriCity (formerly Low Light Lowlife) 365 photos, 328 members
- Filmic Scenes (create ONE title OR synopsis) 3,533 photos, 471 members
- FELT LIFE 333,672 photos, 8,260 members
- The Cinematic Urge 12,924 photos, 832 members
- The West End 3,323 photos, 439 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays *OPEN* 4,300,115 photos, 116,624 members
- Scotland 531,316 photos, 17,786 members
- The Cinematographer 121,525 photos, 6,487 members
- Travel Photojournalism 94,847 photos, 12,849 members
- Portraits That Tell a Story (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING!) 190,979 photos, 11,841 members
- Glasgow Photo 1,004 photos, 3,208 members
- wong kar wai 10,909 photos, 1,248 members
- Hong Kong 香港 352,664 photos, 15,112 members
- WKW/ Christopher Doyle 3,723 photos, 364 members
- Members' Room 20,780 photos, 342 members
Taylor Bradberry says:
"The ability to capture any type of scenario is a quality that I find totally amazing. I regularly peruse your photostream and absolutely love it. Great work man."
January 3rd, 2013
Rebecka Wolfe says:
"If you think you're at the top of your game as a photographer, then you've not seen Tommy Ga Ken Wan.
Most photographers can leave you impressed with their work. Few can change the way you see your own.
Inspiring work, always."
November 30th, 2011
"Beautiful, inspiring, creative, original work! Thank you for sharing your gift!"
April 27th, 2011
"Tommy, I haven't look at your stream for some time. And you have really developed a great art. I mean really, really good stuff. Congrats.
April 16th, 2011
"I've actually had the time to properly look at your work and its lovely, you have managed to capture the essence of lots of characters I love. I would love to work with you on a shoot sometime. As you know I dont really do people and you do people so well. Hopefully interesting times ahead."
July 8th, 2010
"your works are so amazing... vivid deep reality.."
August 3rd, 2009
Austin Russie says:
"Truly inspiring. Just viewing his stream over time has influenced me more than any other photographer on Flickr. One of my favorite photographers, hands down. Absolute best scenery and colors in every photo released. Keep at it man, definitely one of my biggest influences."
July 27th, 2009
"i like how tommys photos capture day to day life but in a more special way!"
May 10th, 2009
"one of the best fotografer i saw here on flickr."
March 31st, 2009
"Tommy's pictures combine the best of two cultures. Totally unique vision and technical excellence. I wish I could walk a few feet behind him and see his world as he sees it. I'm so impressed by his work."
January 18th, 2009
"i like his great night photos with beautiful bokehs and interesting mood"
October 11th, 2008
Markus Bollingmo says:
"This boy and his photos make me dream..."
July 10th, 2008
a la corey says:
"Tommy is one of the most brilliant photographers I have seen. Not just on Flickr but ever. As a photojournalist I try very hard to capture moments that Tommy seems to do so effortlessly. I am always amazed at his work, the soul of each picture. The cinematic feel and emotions they invoke are awe inspiring. I hope to one day attain at least a smidgen of talent that he posseses."
July 8th, 2008
"Tommy Ga-Ken Wan is the master of mood creation, and understands the power of light and color, as well as framing, and composition, as good as the best. He simply knows how to create it, and seems to have in his circle of friends excellent and fitting models for the world he evokes. When I see Tommy's work, I think, "film stills" loaded with pungent atmosphere, strong, like a shot of Scotch! - Well, but then what would you expect, from someone based in Glasgow!?"
May 27th, 2008
"Tommy took photos of a music video shoot I directed in Glasgow. His pictures were amazing and helped inform the final look of the film. His photos have a real sense of timelessness to them. He is truly talented in the real sense of the word."
April 9th, 2008
"Tommy is an inspirational figure, fills with so much talents. His photos are brilliant but rather hard to describe in words, since they could mean so many things. I'm glad that he share a part of his life with us on flickr."
March 22nd, 2008
Eric Hands says:
"Tommy has been kind enough to mention my influence in his profile. Yet from the first glimpse I ever saw of his work I was immediately seduced by his originality and talent - and strongly feel that 'we ain't seen nothin' yet'. I like your self-description, Tommy, but I feel that you are playing with us - there is a flame burning inside this guy that most of us can only dream of. Here's to the future !"
March 18th, 2008
Peter Denton says:
"TGKW - Tommy - is one of those rare photographers who, at a remarkably young age, has developed his own unique style - and has stamped it on all his images, which largely concentrate on people and the human condition. His work ranges from elegant portraits to candid street shots - often exhilarating, always interesting. Take a look and see!"
February 18th, 2008
"I am impressed by him, I am inspired by him, and I envy him. Wan's photographic vision is unparalleled and every one of his photographs manage to captivate the viewer. His masterful use of light, shadow, and colour turns an otherwise ordinary moment into a fantastical visual piece in the likes of a film.
Magnum photos, you better consider having some of those old geezers retire soon; there's a new kid on the block."
February 1st, 2008
x-over ♂ & ♂ & ☺ says:
"Toomy's photostream is a great photo-journey.
really great stuff :)
January 11th, 2008
teenage jesus says:
"Flickr is a website where people exceed in pompous statements and also a place where you can find a large number of talented amateurs with a figurative sensitivity but who lack even the fundamentals of the photographic technique.
Today, after stumbling upon Tommy Ga-Ken Wan's photostream, I can honesty write I have found a photographer , who possesses both sensitivity and technique. At the same time he has an eye to take very lively portraits - whether staged or candid - and to get the best from the light. A beatiful photostream."
November 19th, 2007
"Far, far too many photographs to fave! I am completely stunned, flabbergasted, envious and delighted by the range of photos in this stream. I love the cinematic feel and relaxed portraits. I am thankful that he is generous enough to give information on how he set up certain shots. I always am thankful when people do that, being a beginner myself."
November 13th, 2007
- Tommy Ga-Ken Wan 溫嘉勤
- July 2007
- Glasgow, Scotland
- I am:
- tgkwan [at] hotmail.co.uk