I photograph both the wild and the urban … the wild in the urban … refracting light through my lens, and capturing moments, scenes and movements to “film” and memory. The well-being of animals is more important to me than any photograph, so I tread lightly and do my best to not disturb.
I was born of Latvian parents, lived as an ex-pat American kid in Geneva and Amsterdam, then returned to the States as a cultural misfit, which generated some eclectic sensibilities.
I’m drawn to themes of reclamation and unusual juxtaposition -- where wildlife and flora manage to eke out an existence or even thrive in the unlikely confines of the “unnatural.” As such, I’m particularly fond of wildlife success stories in city or industrial grids, where nature has been allowed to move back in, either formally or informally — in patchworks of habitat or in long stretches of greenway.
Wildlife Photography Ethics
The well-being of my wildlife subjects is more important to me than any image, so I look for signs of stress or disturbance in wild animals and move on if I see them. My volunteer work in wildlife rehabilitation fueled my passion for wildlife photography, and my lifelong connection to animals and nature informs my narrative in this way.
I don't bait wild animals or use calls. I'm also careful about nest photos, and avoid photographing anywhere I might compromise the well-being or safety of the animals. I like the North American Nature Photography guidelines as a baseline. (If I'm photographing birds around an existing seed feeder in a public park or garden, I'll note it in the photo caption.)
I generally don't disclose wildlife locations when it comes to sensitive or uncommon species, or with baby birds and nesting areas.
“When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands, flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty.” ~ John Muir
USING MY PHOTOS
** Although some of my images are free for use under a Creative Commons license, *I prefer they not be used to promote any type of violence or harm toward animals. Thank you for being respectful of this request. **
Part of the reason I upload select images to Flickr is to participate in the Creative Commons community, providing images for educational and nonprofit organizations, for the purpose of preservation, conservation and teaching. As such, many of my Flickr images have a Creative Commons license attached. Some photos are fully-protected or licensed exclusively to Getty or elsewhere, and cannot be used. So, please check on an image-by-image basis.
Licensing varies by photo:
ATTRIBUTION: May be used freely with photo credit/attribution.
ATTRIBUTION NON-COMMERCIAL: May be used for editorial or educational purposes, blogs, etc. May not be used for merchandising products or commercial promotions without my permission.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: Some photos under the ARR license have been sold for limited or exclusive use, so I may not be able to grant permission on those images. But, feel free to ask about any particular photo you're interested in.
PHOTO CREDIT: Ingrid Taylar. Where possible on websites, a link back is nice, too -- to the original photo page here at Flickr or to my photo website (www.ingridtaylar.com).
I always appreciate knowing where my images were used, so feel free to drop me an email, letting me know. Many thanks!
Thank you for stopping by and taking a look. [[:-)
~ Ingrid Taylar
:: Photo website: www.ingridtaylar.com
:: Wildlife Conservation Stamp: www.wildlifeconservationstamp.org
** Support the creation of a new National Wildlife Refuge pass (or stamp) for photographers, birders and wildlife watchers.
- Bay Area Bird Photographers (BABP) 91 photos, 25 members
- #SFflickrmeetup - San Francisco Flickr Meetups 4,928 photos, 319 members
- Post 1 / Fav 3! One per day! 6,647 photos, 785 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 265,470 photos, 5,593 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 583,885 photos, 21,647 members
- iPhone Freaks 292,102 photos, 8,524 members
- iPhone Obsession (,^^) 58,914 photos, 2,516 members
- Mob Paint 13,472 photos, 579 members
- Instagram 145,198 photos, 8,312 members
- Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve 6,782 photos, 319 members
- Monterey Peninsula 12,148 photos, 1,029 members
- Monterey Bay Aquarium 10,289 photos, 1,820 members
- Wikimedia Commons 11,330 photos, 572 members
- Wikipedia 9,874 photos, 459 members
- Project Weather 634,870 photos, 90,736 members
- Close-ups of Animals 28,878 photos, 1,389 members
- Small Camera Big Picture 40,260 photos, 1,269 members
- Insect Identification Help Group 18,414 photos, 3,711 members
- East Bay Birding Affiliated (EBBA) 7,067 photos, 137 members
- Juanita Bay Park Photography 1,886 photos, 56 members
- Seattle Parks 1,497 photos, 125 members
- DISCOVERY PARK - SEATTLE 471 photos, 93 members
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge 3,495 photos, 193 members
- The Wildlife Conservation Stamp Project 2,651 photos, 45 members
- Birds of Washington State 8,522 photos, 138 members
- Berkeleyside 12,517 photos, 364 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,867 photos, 17,539 members
- Issaquah, WA 890 photos, 99 members
- Seattle Photographers 31,982 photos, 911 members
- Audubon magazine 133,295 photos, 1,475 members
- Great Seattle Wheel 188 photos, 38 members
- Flickr Olympus OM-D E-M1 + E-M5 + E-M10 175,605 photos, 4,855 members
- Zuiko Lenses 8,067 photos, 159 members
- Flickr Bird Brigade 39,353 photos, 1,028 members
- Pacific Northwest Tugboats 5,296 photos, 146 members
- Ballard Locks 505 photos, 36 members
- Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M10, E-M5 and E-M5II user 397,974 photos, 11,878 members
- Parting Shots 928 photos, 558 members
- Burdr 89,579 photos, 991 members
- Queen Anne Seattle 1,322 photos, 92 members
- Reptiles & Amphibians of the Pacific Northwest 1,761 photos, 218 members
- Mount Rainier 4,225 photos, 764 members
- Seattle 169,798 photos, 8,250 members
- Panasonic Lumix TZ5 21,902 photos, 758 members
- ExperienceWA (Washington State Tourism Photos) 116,429 photos, 2,716 members
- Magnolia Seattle 939 photos, 48 members
- Aperture Users 398,705 photos, 12,034 members
- Four Thirds Users 118,786 photos, 2,061 members
- Olympus 99,139 photos, 1,476 members
- Caspian Terns 1,475 photos, 143 members
Ingrid Taylar doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ingrid Taylar
- August 2004
- San Francisco, CA
- Seattle, WA, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Ingrid Taylar Studio