“When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands, flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty.” ~ John Muir
I love photographing both the wild and the urban, and especially the wild in the urban. I was born of Latvian parents, lived as an ex-pat American kid in Geneva and Amsterdam, then returned to the States as a cultural misfit, which generated some eclectic sensibilities.
I’m drawn to themes of reclamation and unusual juxtaposition -- where wildlife and flora manage to eke out an existence or even thrive in the unlikely confines of the “unnatural.” As such, I’m particularly fond of wildlife success stories in city or industrial grids, where nature has been allowed to move back in, either formally or informally — in patchworks of habitat or in long stretches of greenway.
Wildlife Photography Ethics
The well-being of my wildlife subjects is more important to me than any image, so I look for signs of stress or disturbance in wild animals and move on if I see them. My volunteer work in wildlife rehabilitation fueled my passion for wildlife photography, and my lifelong connection to animals and nature informs my narrative in this way.
I don't bait wild animals or use calls. I'm also careful about nest photos, and avoid photographing anywhere I might compromise the well-being or safety of the animals. I like the North American Nature Photography guidelines as a baseline. (If I'm photographing birds around an existing seed feeder in a public park or garden, I'll note it in the photo caption.)
I generally don't disclose wildlife locations when it comes to sensitive or uncommon species, or with baby birds and nesting areas. I'm also careful about not giving away locations of unusual birds during hunting season, for the animals' safety.
USING MY PHOTOS
** Although some of my images are free for use under a Creative Commons license, *I prefer they not be used to promote any type of violence or harm toward animals. Thank you for being respectful of this request. **
Part of the reason I upload select images to Flickr is to participate in the Creative Commons community, providing images for educational and nonprofit organizations, for the purpose of preservation, conservation and teaching. As such, many of my Flickr images have a Creative Commons license attached. Some photos are fully-protected or licensed exclusively to Getty or elsewhere, and cannot be used. So, please check on an image-by-image basis.
Licensing varies by photo:
ATTRIBUTION: May be used freely with photo credit/attribution.
ATTRIBUTION NON-COMMERCIAL: May be used for editorial or educational purposes, blogs, etc. May not be used for merchandising products or commercial promotions without my permission.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: Some photos under the ARR license have been sold for limited or exclusive use, so I may not be able to grant permission on those images. But, feel free to ask about any particular photo you're interested in.
PHOTO CREDIT: Ingrid Taylar. Where possible on websites, a link back is nice, too -- to the original photo page here at Flickr or to my photo website (www.ingridtaylar.com).
I always appreciate knowing where my images were used, so feel free to drop me an email, letting me know. Many thanks!
Thank you for stopping by and taking a look. [[:-)
~ Ingrid Taylar
:: Photo website: www.ingridtaylar.com
:: Wildlife Conservation Stamp: www.wildlifeconservationstamp.org
** Support the creation of a new National Wildlife Refuge pass (or stamp) for photographers, birders and wildlife watchers.
:: Blog: The Wild Beat
- Post 1 / Fav 3! One per day! 2,231 photos, 739 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 254,222 photos, 5,413 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 532,764 photos, 19,331 members
- iPhone Freaks 271,427 photos, 7,747 members
- iPhone Obsession (,^^) 47,783 photos, 1,888 members
- Mob Paint 10,762 photos, 495 members
- Instagram 143,066 photos, 8,286 members
- Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve 5,913 photos, 295 members
- Monterey Peninsula 12,175 photos, 1,002 members
- Monterey Bay Aquarium 10,080 photos, 1,804 members
- Wikimedia Commons 9,879 photos, 554 members
- Wikipedia 6,980 photos, 411 members
- Project Weather 403,162 photos, 72,542 members
- Close-ups of Animals 17,967 photos, 1,241 members
- Small Camera Big Picture 31,330 photos, 1,158 members
- Insect Identification Help Group 16,225 photos, 3,321 members
- East Bay Birding Affiliated (EBBA) 6,564 photos, 137 members
- Juanita Bay Park Photography 1,816 photos, 54 members
- Seattle Parks 1,318 photos, 104 members
- DISCOVERY PARK - SEATTLE 465 photos, 92 members
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge 2,989 photos, 183 members
- The Wildlife Conservation Stamp Project 2,291 photos, 40 members
- Birds of Washington State 7,958 photos, 133 members
- Berkeleyside 11,276 photos, 346 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 34,299 photos, 16,515 members
- Issaquah, WA 775 photos, 93 members
- Seattle Photographers 26,604 photos, 769 members
- Audubon magazine 84,891 photos, 1,140 members
- Great Seattle Wheel 178 photos, 35 members
- Flickr Olympus OM-D E-M1 + E-M5 + E-M10 127,257 photos, 3,919 members
- Zuiko Lenses 5,034 photos, 107 members
- Flickr Bird Brigade 31,156 photos, 866 members
- Pacific Northwest Tugboats 4,777 photos, 140 members
- Ballard Locks 490 photos, 33 members
- Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M10 and E-M5 user 294,908 photos, 10,027 members
- Parting Shots 873 photos, 530 members
- Burdr 81,003 photos, 943 members
- Queen Anne Seattle 1,232 photos, 89 members
- Reptiles & Amphibians of the Pacific Northwest 1,671 photos, 183 members
- Mount Rainier 3,869 photos, 720 members
- Seattle 162,192 photos, 7,980 members
- Panasonic Lumix TZ5 21,428 photos, 761 members
- ExperienceWA (Washington State Tourism Photos) 108,707 photos, 2,602 members
- Magnolia Seattle 818 photos, 48 members
- Aperture Users 370,653 photos, 11,966 members
- Four Thirds Users 111,181 photos, 2,038 members
- Olympus 86,059 photos, 1,394 members
- Caspian Terns 1,427 photos, 138 members
- Seattlest 64,765 photos, 1,917 members
- Balcony Wildlife & Habitat 95 photos, 12 members
Ingrid Taylar doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ingrid Taylar
- August 2004
- San Francisco, CA
- Seattle, WA, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Photo Blog: The Wild Beat