I’m an artist, designer, educator, farmer and I’m always up for a great adventure. I still think secret handshakes are cool. I think that the small everyday moments are more incredible than the every once-in-awhile spectacular moments. And I believe that ordinary everyday people can make extraordinary differences in the world.
My name is Kelly. I live part time on an acre of land (with my dog Etta Blue) just outside of Chicago where I'm building a small urban farm. When I’m not farming I draw, design, take pictures, paint, cook, travel, build community gardens and teach undergrad design at Indiana University Northwest. I'm the Content and Programming Director for the SF/Chicago Hike Conferences and the NYC Secret Handshake Conference. I also get to work with amazing people and communities through my work as the Director of the Public Design Cooperative at IU Northwest, Director of Communications for AIGA Chicago, and as a Programming Chair on the Board of Directors for EPIC (Engaging Philanthropy, Inspiring Creatives). I'm always up for collaboration projects and meeting new people! Please drop me a line and say hello.
I'm always up for collaboration projects + meeting new people! You can see my latest hijinks on Flickr. You can also find me on Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter + Facebook.
Feel free to drop me a line and say hello!
All images are copyright protected.
All listening data I record in conjunction with my posted images is part of another long-term ongoing research project I'm working on.
Photos of A Midwest Girl (1)
- PARKS GARDENS AND WOODS 91,289 photos, 2,634 members
- we still care 95,426 photos, 2,052 members
- Spring RoidWeek 2014 2,347 photos, 666 members
- 'RoidWeek 2013 2,779 photos, 958 members
- .film.forever. 799,810 photos, 13,422 members
- Ireland 289,461 photos, 11,501 members
- stranger's road 1,135 photos, 366 members
- there's a whole world out there 6,901 photos, 257 members
- VSCO Cam 53,706 photos, 4,579 members
- Sensitive-to-Light 1,188 photos, 269 members
- Hand Created Type 19,724 photos, 2,191 members
- Impossible PX Color 7,326 photos, 645 members
- Impossible Project COOL Film 1,940 photos, 218 members
- Impossible PZ-680 CP Film 209 photos, 71 members
- Land Empire 1,091 photos, 1,350 members
- SHOW ME PICTURES 18,421 photos, 1,014 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 732,211 photos, 26,537 members
- Amazing iPhoneography 423,260 photos, 17,156 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 815,475 photos, 33,597 members
- Gift From The Sea 1,017 photos, 212 members
- Fujifilm INSTANT - (Peel Apart Film Only) 22,555 photos, 2,616 members
- Mattebox 861 photos, 166 members
- Film Wins 165,354 photos, 2,709 members
- PX100 test film 428 photos, 67 members
- filmspiration 25,930 photos, 1,368 members
- BWG Mag 1,360 photos, 74 members
- Grain is Good 489,177 photos, 16,289 members
- Vastness 9,009 photos, 599 members
- Analog Soul 297,386 photos, 6,522 members
- 'RoidWeek 2012 3,046 photos, 1,022 members
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,000 photos, 1,250 members
- The Impossible Project Film Manipulation 1,297 photos, 803 members
- Hipstamatic 313,651 photos, 16,278 members
- [CameraBag] 32,408 photos, 2,253 members
- Mobile Landscapes 11,206 photos, 290 members
- I ♥ iPhone 421,432 photos, 11,351 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 280,013 photos, 5,545 members
- iPhoneography 441,844 photos, 13,268 members
- Banana Camera Co Contest 426 photos, 290 members
- ShakeItPhoto 13,540 photos, 774 members
- CrossProcess for iPhone 6,068 photos, 546 members
- Portrait by The Impossible Project 7,217 photos, 1,186 members
- Postcards from America 15,377 photos, 778 members
- the big black and the blue 856 photos, 73 members
- Les Photomatics 892 photos, 227 members
- Analog Adventures In Photopia 43,610 photos, 696 members
- The Saturdays of 2011 548 photos, 151 members
- Impossible Project PX680 film 7,369 photos, 730 members
- Textures for Layers 14,621 photos, 16,257 members
- The Lost Sea 291 photos, 69 members
"when i learn to type emotions
i'll write something here"
February 1st, 2010
"really super oldschool feel polaroids"
November 25th, 2008
crowded books says:
"i went thru
the entire bloody stretch
and all i got to say is that,
"you have come a long way , baby."
and worth every single click.
May 9th, 2008
"she's just damn good... to elaborate, i love her minimalistic approach to her shots. if i had to choose one word to encapsulate why i love her work so, it would be "zen". it seems like every abstract shot is perfectly balanced, if that makes any sense. plus if you go through her flickr portfolio and read the descriptions... she clearly has excellent taste in music."
March 13th, 2008
Lala Lulu says:
"when i look at your interests, its like looking at my itunes library or my movie collection....."
December 23rd, 2007
"I particularly like the originality of girl.x's polaroid work. She is continually experimenting, asking questions and pushing back boundaries with her quirky eye for a picture. I always appreciate looking at her stream if only trying to puzzle out where she is coming from and where she hopes to go to. Unconventional, provocative even but, always enjoyable."
November 11th, 2007
common hill says:
"first time i saw her photos i was shocked. there was so much poetry and intuition in her shoots. she still got it, and she doesnt want to lost this.
sense of perispective and geometry, and all this attention to details and lights. she doesnt take pictures to remember, she shoots to freeze a feeling. her photos are made of colors and shapes and shadows.
now that everyone can be a photographer, she shows us what a photographer can be now: a modern painter.
she is one of my favourite, and her work a true inspiration for me."
November 5th, 2007
Gregory Johnson says:
"is the best!"
October 12th, 2007
incredible bubble says:
"According to fonts.com, the Romans appropriated the ‘x’ sound from the Chalcidian alphabet and represented it with the “chi” of the Ionic alphabet, which consisted of two diagonally crossed strokes. This letter became the prototype for both the capital and lowercase X we use today.
So... how does that relate to girl.x and photography? I'm not exactly sure, but I do know that she takes some very thought-provoking photographs and is the queen of the polaroid. So there."
May 10th, 2007
- December 2006
- I am: