I am a married American attorney with Norwegian roots living in Illinois, but looking forward to a life by the sea. I have two children, Spencer Canyon and Sierra Nicole Eidsmoe.
I have two books of photography, you can view the books here:
My Perspective by Dan Eidsmoe | BOOK INFO
Portraits by Dan Eidsmoe | BOOK INFO
Spencer, my son
Scientists tell us that eyesight works this way: light enters the eye through the pupil, where it's collected on the retina, then transmitted to the visual cortex, an area at the back of the brain where it's somehow translated in our minds into an image. What no one has entirely explained is how these weightless images-the things we see-can affect us so deeply. All we know for sure is that they defy the laws of physics. No matter how old you are, photographs can move you. A room hung with photos is a room hung with thoughts.
Why is my screen name "Symbiosis"? Symbiosis is defined as: "the intimate living together of two dissimilar organisms in a mutually beneficial relationship." As a scuba diver I get to see upclose a number of mutually beneficial relationships (for example the cleaner shrimp and a grouper). This sort of relationship, either in the sea or on land is fascinating and inspiring. If you look closely enough at this photo of a reef shark that I took while diving in the Bahamas you will see a remora on the shark's underside. This is a good example of a symbiotic relationship. In this instance the remora gets protection from the shark and a free ride while using the suction device on its head. The remora also eats up the scraps of food left by the host. The shark is not harmed or helped by this relationship. This form of symbiosis is known as "commensalism".
One of my Flickr contacts from Greece (Kostas) had this to say about the word I use as my avatar: "You should know that the term "symbiosis" comes from the Greek language... It means that people should work together! It means 'live together, understand and accept each other'.... In other words, members of a family do that. " Kostas is right, we should all work together to understand each other.
Photography is a passion of mine. It is a means of communication for me. I have a journalism background but became a lawyer to pay the bills (this camera habit is expensive). Over the last three years I have had approximately 20 photographs published in 3 freelance newspaper articles that I have written. I have several photos published on the pro beach volleyball website:
That's me taking photos in the background (squinting) without my sunglasses.
I am a nature nut although I wouldn't call myself a "tree hugger" just yet. I respect all living things but I am not a vegetarian. I do move the occasional bug off the sidewalk. I have adopted two dogs from the Humane Society. I don't have either of them now.
Jellyfish are beautiful creatures
People have asked if I will sell any of my photos. I have a good day job. I don't need the money. I often give many of the prints away as presents. Several professional volleyball players have my photos hanging in their homes. I find that to be a great compliment. I dislike it when people steal my photos. But I have no problem giving versions of them away when asked. If you want one send me an e-mail at: Uforic1@msn.com. I will probably say "yes".
I made a postage stamp out of this photo which I took in the Dominican Republic
Sting and the Police in concert in St. Louis
Sheryl Crow in Bloomington, Illinois
A rural road in southeast Utah
Camera information: I own four cameras, two digital and two 35mm. The digital cameras are the Canon 5D and the 50D. I did not purchase the kit lens with either camera. The lenses that I own are the Canon 24mm, 50mm, 100mm (macro), 135mm, the 24-70L mm and the 70-200L mm series telephoto lenses. Much of my gear was purchased at KEH and B&H.
My favorite photographic technique is blurring the background of the subject so that the viewer's attention is not distracted. "Bokeh" is a Japanese term used to describe the portion of an image that is perceptibly out of focus. These photographs are an example of where I achieved good bokeh.
Sierra, my daughter
Marilynn, my aunt
I probably enjoy macro subjects the best. This is a recent collection of images associated with that interest.
My first magazine cover:
My second magazine cover
An article about my photography that first appeared in a small newspaper and was later picked up by the Associated Press, the USA Today and the Chicago Tribune:
The newspaper link: www.pantagraph.com/entertainment/go/photographer-s-work-e...
Marriott purchased this photo from me:
Without a doubt my favorite lens is the Canon 100mm macro lens.
If I had one dream assignment it would be to have a press pass for BigTen or NFL football. I have taken some great sports photographs from the seats, but I really want to try my hand with press credentials.
Chicago Bulls action at the United Center in Chicago
I hope you enjoy viewing my photographs as much as I have enjoyed taking them!
Symbiosis (a/k/a Dan Eidsmoe)
- Key West & the other islands 12,482 photos, 1,524 members
- Florida Keys 8,938 photos, 772 members
- Key West & Florida Keys Photography 586 photos, 99 members
- Marathon Florida 532 photos, 26 members
- Australian Shepherds Spoken Here - Wonderful Aussies 4,202 photos, 360 members
- Australian Shepherds 10,618 photos, 782 members
- There Be A Storm A Brewin! 75,327 photos, 6,600 members
- Clouds, Storms, Sunsets & Sunrises 536,722 photos, 27,382 members
- The best of world picture 348,874 photos, 14,978 members
- Scenic Lighthouses (NO HDR PHOTOS) 8,783 photos, 1,152 members
- Lighthouse: A light in the dark. 5,151 photos, 1,359 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 139,663 photos, 21,438 members
- lighthouses //// faros 15,685 photos, 2,719 members
- Classical Nude 105 photos, 120 members
- fun nudes 4 photos, 190 members
- Bellesa femenina 11,351 photos, 616 members
- Black & White Beauty 16,308 photos, 1,509 members
- Body as Landscape 287 photos, 365 members
- The Female as the Art 147 photos, 459 members
- Amazing Image B&W: Sexy 7 photos, 150 members
- calm nude 96 photos, 94 members
- Amazing Image B&W: Female Nude 30 photos, 854 members
- Amazing Image: Casual Nudes 3 photos, 1,059 members
- NATURAL FUN NUDE WOMAN 147 photos, 981 members
- nude pic;s 165 photos, 549 members
- Nude Monochromes & Sepia 520 photos, 664 members
- Amazing Image: Female Nudes 6 photos, 806 members
- Amazing Image [Small]: Nude 4 photos, 317 members
- Amazing Image: Almost Nude 22 photos, 180 members
- Black & white portraits 378,970 photos, 33,308 members
- Fine Art Nude Photos 1,322 photos, 10,696 members
- San Francisco Bay Area Sunsets & Sunrises 9,755 photos, 926 members
- San Francisco Daily Commute 1,659 photos, 150 members
- San Francisco Photo Guild 44,583 photos, 3,286 members
- Golden Gate Bridge - HISTORICAL - (not tourist photos) 39 photos, 14 members
- The Golden Gate 76 photos, 18 members
- any side of the golden gate bridge 244 photos, 49 members
- The Golden Gate Bridge 19,080 photos, 3,569 members
- Golden Gate Bridge 75th Anniversary 6,092 photos, 1,741 members
- Golden Gate Views 10,038 photos, 1,774 members
- Rain, Drizzle and Fog 3,913 photos, 786 members
- Fog & Mist 19,583 photos, 2,153 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 259,517 photos, 58,644 members
- Fog, fog and more fog 9,976 photos, 1,611 members
- Fog of Life 24,264 photos, 3,186 members
- I Heart Fog <3 1,488 photos, 320 members
- Fabulous Fog 29,079 photos, 4,497 members
- Lauderdale By The Sea 47 photos, 17 members
- Americana 75,232 photos, 2,888 members
- Music Row Nashville 454 photos, 43 members
"Dan, "Symbiosis," captures mood, personality and emotion always! His photo gallery is wonderful! Every photo is unique and unstructured. Spontaneity and creativity are very evident in his images, and that is probably what keeps me going back for more. Lots of character in his very powerful images!"
July 19th, 2006
Extra Medium says:
"Dan has a wide variety of photographic interests and shoots them with precision and brilliance. He knows how to get the most out of each shot, and always creates a perspective that is stunning to the viewer. What I love most is the colors he's able to get."
March 1st, 2006
"Symbiosis (if that is your real name) helped me get motivated to seek out photography as a hobby. His work still inspires me to improve my own work."
April 20th, 2005
- Daniel/Dan Eidsmoe
- March 2005
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Chicago, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Symbiosis Photography