We are the government agency responsible for cultural heritage and historic environment issues in Sweden. Our public archives hold about four million photographs – including copy prints, glass plates and other negatives, slides and digital copies. The photographs were taken over a period stretching from the later part of the 19th century until today.
More about our photo collections
Our photo collections include individual collections from various times – such as that of Carl Curman, mainly from the latter part of the 19th century – as well as the Board’s own recent photographic work and photographs taken over more than a century in connection with the activities of the Board (which actually was founded in the year 1630! – long before photography was invented).
The themes represented include – among others – ancient monuments, runic inscriptions, old churches, urban and rural environment, archaeology, industries and aerial photos. The images often show people, both known and unknown. Some photographs are from other countries than Sweden, some are repro photographs of other materials from our holdings, such as drawings, watercolours and prints.
Kulturmiljöbild – our photo database
About 200.000 of our photographs are digitized and searchable in our photo database online. The database is continually updated with newly digitized photographs .
Visit the photo database: www.raa.se/kmb
Read more about the database
Our photographs on The Commons
The Swedish National Heritage Board has become a member of The Commons on Flickr in order to increase public access to our photographs and provide a way for the general public to contribute with information and knowledge. New photographs will be added regularly. You are welcome to share, to comment, tag or just enjoy!
Read more about our policy regarding the photographs we show on The Commons.
More photographs on Flickr
On our other account on Flickr we show photographs from the Swedish National Heritage Board’s events since June 2011: Riksantikvarieämbetet
- A COSY COTTAGE. 10,135 photos, 890 members
- MOUNTAIN 108,039 photos, 10,278 members
- MONUMENT 48,961 photos, 2,408 members
- Project Weather 640,372 photos, 94,118 members
- Nature is my medicine 18,632 photos, 450 members
- World Wide Planes 129,642 photos, 619 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 99,611 photos, 4,681 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 109,578 photos, 4,315 members
- Plants, Stones & Nature Landscapes 67,390 photos, 1,762 members
- The Best of Black and White Photography 25,986 photos, 892 members
- m▲gic n▲ture 60,143 photos, 2,485 members
- SARDEGNA chiama SICILIA e viceversa. 90,436 photos, 2,386 members
- [...] on public space 3,642 photos, 69 members
- Recreate Culture 57 photos, 63 members
- Enquire Mag 194,504 photos, 8,103 members
- POTPOURRI MAGAZINE 316,924 photos, 8,210 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 45,875 photos, 408 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 7,020 photos, 359 members
- Vintage pics 36,704 photos, 649 members
- Jihozápadní Čechy - Southwest Bohemia 165 photos, 39 members
- Gotland Nature Reserves 225 photos, 90 members
- Historical Gardens 16,366 photos, 674 members
- Britain's Postal Heritage 2,177 photos, 289 members
- 1st Photo Ever 3,824 photos, 398 members
- Norske Kirker / Norwegian Churches 4,063 photos, 376 members
- Castles, Mansions & Old Ruins 347 photos, 45 members
- Places Of Great History 446 photos, 35 members
- Windows & Doors -- Old & New 687 photos, 60 members
- Flickr Social Club 1,525,646 photos, 38,159 members
- Absolut Today 19,717 photos, 691 members
- Vintage Eyes That Speak 3,220 photos, 152 members
- Flickr 5.25 1,040 photos, 1,347 members
- Stångehuvud 34 photos, 15 members
- Svenska kyrkor - Swedish Churches 5,888 photos, 456 members
- Churches Kościoły Kirchen 73,865 photos, 1,872 members
- Earth Hour 2009 Global 3,158 photos, 2,632 members
- Figgjo, Nymolle, Bjorn Winblad, Arabia of Finland...Scandinavian 911 photos, 163 members
- Gotland 5,194 photos, 375 members
- Sweden before 1950 7,938 photos, 581 members
- Flickr Commons 2,657 photos, 2,324 members
Swedish National Heritage Board doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- January 2009