"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Jorge Luis Borges
suttonhoo by smalldogs
mini hoo »
Sometimes I blog about my pics (and other folks' pics) at detritus.
I twitter as suttonhoo too.
I moblog a lot: suttonhoo moblogs
My most interesting pics according to Scout »
& according to isaias »
Photos of suttonhoo (2)
- Flickr CPR 10,447 photos, 578 members
- California Missions 9,821 photos, 780 members
- coathangers 240 photos, 72 members
- Jibbitz 8 photos, 3 members
- NPR Look At This 159,464 photos, 6,325 members
- Denver Botanic Gardens 794 photos, 73 members
- Lafayette House 1 photo, 13 members
- The Energy Paparazzi Project 891 photos, 130 members
- Airport Terminals 1,738 photos, 217 members
- Speelgoed, Toys, Jouets 591 photos, 70 members
- Horizon, tu! oh, tu! NEW AND IMPROVED! 5,971 photos, 496 members
- digiLOMO - digital low "quality" capturing 991 photos, 64 members
- Digital Harinezumi デジタルハリネズミ 16,473 photos, 1,545 members
- Ancient World in London with Heritage Key 364 photos, 223 members
- Unexpected titles 1,750 photos, 142 members
- DCist Photos 175,834 photos, 4,577 members
- The Listening Project 167 photos, 70 members
- Terra Cotta Warrior Exhibition at the National Geographic Museum 192 photos, 25 members
- Dom (Rom, Gypsy, Çingene, Qereçî, Gypthos, Zingari) in World 2,367 photos, 394 members
- In the fridge 88 photos, 211 members
- Argonne National Laboratory and Waterfall Glen 694 photos, 78 members
- Mesoamérica Hoy 2,319 photos, 137 members
- Explore Northeastern Illinois 14,915 photos, 173 members
- Zisha 358 photos, 36 members
- Pilcrow Lit Fest/Chicago 311 photos, 10 members
- 'Roid Week 2009 4,752 photos, 1,305 members
- Twitterazzi 330 photos, 139 members
- SFist 84,621 photos, 1,560 members
- let them read Cake 42 photos, 64 members
- ◄◄◄ HECTOR GUIMARD [1867-1942] ►►► 2,641 photos, 646 members
- New York, Paris, [Tablat], London, Tokyo: Time-Zoned Clock Rows 200 photos, 243 members
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Signature Tiles 83 photos, 67 members
- A goodbye kiss, you dog 460 photos, 1,084 members
- Polaroid 299,904 photos, 31,684 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 53,281 photos, 6,906 members
- I voted in Chicago and all I got was a lousy ballot receipt! 79 photos, 58 members
- The Coffee Cup 20,301 photos, 6,345 members
- New York, New York 451,905 photos, 17,111 members
- Holga freak 82,289 photos, 9,306 members
- INVITATION: 25 Decisive Moments Art Opening, Friday, October 24 325 photos, 861 members
- Fruits et légumes 50,843 photos, 13,543 members
- nature désolée [film only please] 3,867 photos, 272 members
- Denver 38,368 photos, 2,012 members
- Face Your Manga 701 photos, 780 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 298,590 photos, 6,814 members
- Giant Fiberglass Statues 2,374 photos, 222 members
- All Favourite Photos 30,221 photos, 3,421 members
- BLUELIST - The Best of Lonely Planet 34,643 photos, 2,665 members
- First Rule Of Photography: Everybody Loves A Monkey 6,499 photos, 802 members
- Monkeys , apes and lemures. 53,043 photos, 6,504 members
O Caritas says:
"There are countless sources for photographic inspiration on flickr, but in Dayna, I have found someone who — nearly every day — inspires me to be a better person. She is as fine a human being as I expect I ever will have met."
July 26th, 2009
"I don't visit suttonhoo's stream as often as I want because i know when I do I'll get sucked in and stay longer than I planned. She has an incredible mix of photos taken from anything from a real camera to a mobile phone, and so many of them are accompanied by words and texts and stories she writes so well. She shares incredible personal moments, yet she doesn't show her face, but when Susan took her portrait I knew immediately who it was..."
November 17th, 2008
"jet-setter... but stays close to the source w/good writing & great photographs.
ps. & kindness"
July 2nd, 2008
Slipping Away says:
"Dayna is an inspiration. Her photostream is much more than images... it is pure life."
June 14th, 2008
"suttonhoo approved this testimonial even though it only mentions heterodyning once."
May 15th, 2008
"Not a lot of people can bridge the gap between the visual sensibility and the literary sensibility. That is why it is so comforting that when I see an entrancing photograph on Suttonhoo's stream, I can be assured that there is an even better story behind it."
May 5th, 2008
"Strangely enigmatic, I am drawn to her work by the nature of what is absent.
Her ego is there, strong, compelling me to look deeper to what is below the surface, and as I turn my neck and eyes to see, it is gone.
While some strut and fret their personalities on Flickr, and others hit you over the head, suttonhoo remains elusive and sublime."
September 25th, 2007
"enjoyed your photos, not all of them but most of them. They feel familar, things of everyday as well as the not so. The interesting titles make the reading of each so much more interesting..something that I could not do myself.
September 12th, 2007
"This is the first testimonial I've ever written. I don't know Dayna personally, but I look forward to seeing her photos most days. There's a consistency in her quality, a real "eye" for the unusual...whether that be a subject or an angle. All in all it makes for great enjoyment. Thank you Dayna!"
January 9th, 2007
"suttonhoo was one of my very first contacts on flickr. i knew from the git-go that her eye was spectacular... finding the crevasses, the niches, the detritus of everyday life and capturing it all in her singular, signature way. i recently had the honor of going on a shoot with her, and i got to see how her mind work. she pays attention. she looks.
her images are stark and profound. they make you think. they make your jaw drop. they make you laugh out loud. they make you cry. they make you gasp with wonder. they make you look.
she is the quintessential photographer.
plus, she can work that goddam cameraphone like nobody's bidness."
October 10th, 2006
"Suttonhoo is the only person that I know that can make crappy wall paper look cool. It is like magic. I wish I could take photos as cool as hers."
August 21st, 2006
Flipped Out says:
"Chicago through her eyes is soooo refreshing."
July 7th, 2006
Fernando Pinto says:
August 27th, 2005
- Dayna Bateman
- May 2005