"When I say I want to photograph someone, what it really means is that I'd like to know them. Anyone I know I photograph." - Annie Leibovitz
For me, photography allows me to connect with wonderful and extraordinary people.
That is why I do it. That is the only reason why I do it.
My artistic training is in painting, printmaking and sculpture, but I couldn't take that with me when I went overseas. I could take a beater Nikon F. That old brassy Nikon F and a Nikkormat traveled with me all over the far east. I learned every decent photo processing place in the Orient. Then, one day I found a Nikon D200 in a pawn shop.........
When I was studying painting, I spent long nights arguing with photographers about composition, color and light. Then, and now, I see photographers bound by dogma and often suffering from a fetish for their equipment.
I approach photography from the viewpoint of a painter. There are no sacred cows, no rules to follow. I couldn't care less about tonal contrast, histograms or color balance. If I like the way something looks, and it speaks to me, that is good enough.
I maintain all rights to my work.
Do not favorite or comment on my photographs if you are not a legitimate member of flickr. I will block you if you do not have a legitimate flickr photostream.
Please do not leave your comments with animated gif awards. I would like to keep your genuine comments, but if I have to delete them to get rid of a meaningless award that is asthethic poop, I will.
Please do not place your photographs in the comments of my photostream. Again, I would like to keep your comments, and I would probably visit your stream and comment in kind, but this behavior is just rude.
Please do not beg me to visit your photostream and comment. That's pathetic. If you would like my comments, comment on my work and I will take a look at your work. If I like your work, and can comment constructively, I will.
My images are copyrighted. You may not use them, print them, transfer them, modify them, sell them, or trade them without my explicit written permission.
Stock Agencies: If you have any interest in my photographs please contact me via Flickr. You may not use my work without my permission. My work is not available for textures, overlays or manipulation.
Potential Models: If you would like to model, or if you are in need of head shots for acting, modeling or writing, please contact me via flickrmail.If you are a musician who would like photography for album covers and promotionals, please contact me. I am always looking for new faces, and would love to schedule an interview and potential session with you. If you would like a more concise view of our professional work, please visit my zenfolio website
An interview at lensenses
- Opera and Classical Music 5,014 photos, 144 members
- High Key Society 19,299 photos, 4,362 members
- Skulletons - Skulls and Skeletons 4,818 photos, 983 members
- Halloween and Day of the Dead 6,128 photos, 1,204 members
- Girl photographer 88 photos, 5 members
- REMAKE THIS! 100 photos, 28 members
- Graveyard Groupies (THE flickr Necropolis) 13,448 photos, 2,923 members
- ChasingAsphalt.com automotive photography group 55,714 photos, 656 members
- Faux Flemish 12 photos, 3 members
- Dystopia 17,236 photos, 983 members
- Halloween for Adults 4,999 photos, 746 members
- Armchair Traveler Tourbook 25,531 photos, 225 members
- Fotografi in azione 2,755 photos, 730 members
- Fear 781 photos, 184 members
- something wicked this way comes.. 2,991 photos, 447 members
- Flickr OBSESSION' 301,706 photos, 3,176 members
- ★Flickr dè Chinese★中国帮★ 18,952 photos, 806 members
- |!Flickeros Andaluceh!| 13,808 photos, 355 members
- 故乡的天空 14,288 photos, 2,493 members
- 中途半端な写真好き☆ 203,999 photos, 2,116 members
- Empty Seats 58,895 photos, 21,068 members
- EDWARD HOPPER an ode to the artist 2,762 photos, 913 members
- shot in an elevator... 230 photos, 166 members
- Going UP! (elevators) 990 photos, 324 members
- Lifts and Elevators 2,150 photos, 523 members
- hats n' wigs 422 photos, 101 members
- Creatures of the Mind 33,785 photos, 1,411 members
- Popular Photography 15,400 photos, 1,031 members
- Cloud Junkie 461,668 photos, 46,042 members
- sky & clouds 881,015 photos, 52,530 members
- Beautiful Clouds 299,283 photos, 21,767 members
- Carnivals & Amusement Parks 37,201 photos, 3,244 members
- VrOom VrOom! 223,789 photos, 3,584 members
- Vintage Clown 136 photos, 50 members
- Clowns are Supposed to Make you LAUGH! 819 photos, 255 members
- Steel On Wheels 3,901 photos, 17 members
- The Car is Your Canvas 36,320 photos, 1,091 members
- Banana Flickr 995 photos, 400 members
- Banana Central 123 photos, 49 members
- Going bananas! 570 photos, 226 members
- Banana Bunch 822 photos, 424 members
- Theatre Of Life 130,437 photos, 2,474 members
- Plastic cone (wet floor, traffic, etc.) 46 photos, 5 members
- Yes, i'm a dreamer. 669,780 photos, 16,379 members
- Irony, oh the irony! 269 photos, 86 members
- Perspective 48,649 photos, 5,529 members
- 1 day we'll have the most photos on Flickr 1,748,577 photos, 4,583 members
- I AM NIKON 1,323,300 photos, 27,069 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,574,389 photos, 49,850 members
- LP portraits 2,180 photos, 1,006 members
"Xavier is our resident Dadaist, philosopher and fine arts mogul. His work elevates us all. He's a ritual non-conformist, who makes the mundane beautiful. I'm so pleased to have made his acquaintance."
October 5th, 2012
"Xavier is one of the most creative guys that I have come in contact with on Flickr. He runs a studio that has a grand sense of humor and he produces fantastic images. I love his stuff, check him out and you too will be hooked."
March 2nd, 2012
"I love Xavier's stream... I am always keen to check out his new work too.
His portraits are what I come looking for. Wonderful light, unique perspectives and refreshing out takes...
Be it natural, created or a mixture of both....you can rely on Xavier for ART!"
January 19th, 2011
Kiko Simone says:
"What is reality? What is illusion? What is pretense and what is profound? Truth or fallacy? Does it matter anyway? Should we, as artists, try to replicate what the eye sees, or go beyond that and create what we think it should see? Do we photograph the skin and bones of a person? Or do we illuminate their soul?
These questions sound trite, but never before has anyone brought them more into focus than did Xavier over dinner. I was so lucky to sit beside him. I would never see the same again.
Some of his most simple images are his most profound. Xavier is a true believer in the Less is More approach to art, of all types, visual, aural, and delectable. Like Paul Klee he walks a line between the child and the philosopher. And he merges the two into a brilliant elemental power that I have never witnessed before.
Thank you for your vision dear friend."
January 1st, 2011
"I'm not very good with words so would just like to say Xavier is not only an awesome photographer with his own great style but a top bloke too!"
September 20th, 2010
"Xavier is so awesome with lighting in his portraits
always love the catchlights in the end result
you can see he puts a lot of effort involved in setting up portraits
his is a photostream you'll get addicted to"
September 18th, 2010
*Rockabilly Baby* says:
"I knew Xavier long before he went overseas and got into photography. Three decades ago, he was a hell of an artist. He still is. Xavier's work of the highest technical caliber and it has a soul all its own that shines through. This was so in his paintings, and I see it now in his photography.
Xavier is a cerebral sort, one who does thoughtful, provocative work that is able to stand alone. As a painter and printer, Xavier was a master of composition and color. This same mastery is readily apparent in his photography. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching my old friend struggle with conqering light as a photographer. For Xavier though, color, composition and light are only tools in a toolbox to be used towards the greater goal of speaking through visual imagery.
The brush and pigment was once his partner, as was the stylus and litho crayon. How strange that he is now dabbling in lenses, light and pixels. Still painting Xavier? I hope so. I hope you haven't forgotten the points I made as we argued about art and photography late into the night.
Xavier is also one of the nicest, most humble and thoughtful artists I have ever met. The guy is widely read and has traveled the world. He is a renaissance man and a mensch. He has lived, loved and lost. He has a story to tell. Through all this, he has no pretensions. He is as comfortable talking art with a mechanic or a logger as he is with another artist. He is himself."
February 4th, 2010
holly joy 2 the world says:
"Studio d'Xavier has opened my eyes to a world of complexity and beauty that I had never known before.
He's a master of manipulating light and shadow.
He's a genius composer.
He makes me smile constantly, between moments of jaw dropping!
Hes mad genius, and I'm grateful!"
January 1st, 2010
- Xavier J. Peg
- April 2009
- I am:
- Studio d'Xavier