"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
I’m 36, male, married and from Germany.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
I’m head of the Göttinger Digitization Centre, somewhat popular for our online version of the Gutenberg Bible.
One can call me a late bloomer concerning photography. I did lots of other artsy stuff (music, webdesign and filmmaking) before, but my first noticeable pictures date from 1999. I joined Flickr in spring 2005, my colleague netomer said this would be the place to be.
I wasn’t impressed at all.
In July I stumbled into deleteme!, and things changed. I loved the combination of contest, excellence, nastiness and - humor. Good old days, I spent hours laughing about KKs comments. Nowadays – well.
What I do like:
All kind of experiments and unusual styles. IMHO it’s more interesting to try something uncommon even if it does not work out than to shoot the 500. “landscape at dawn” pic.
Heavy PS-editing. I’m addicted to Photoshop and always keen to find interesting new effects. Especially to simulate “vintage analog” stuff like my quite complex Lithprint filters. Sad thing: I’m the only one who likes them, but I can live with that.
Iconographic style: most of my pics are concentrated on one object, subject, contrast, theme.
All kinds of competition. No pain – no gain, no guts – no glory.
What I don’t like:
People (especially at deleteme!) who shout OVEREXPOSED! BLOWN OUT! UNDEREXPOSED! 1/3 RULE! when it’s quite obvious that the specific effect was nothing but intended. They may say “I do not like your approach” but anything like “go play by the rules” offends my intellect.
Realism freaks. Photography is a snapshot per definition, just a small section of the surrounding reality. Two dimensions – depth and time - are always missing. So any debate reading “keep the realism” is pointless. At times e.g. I love pop-art, and I show it.
- Fujifilm X100F 7,279 photos, 401 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 57,533 photos, 3,493 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 723,166 photos, 26,368 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 725 photos, 99 members
- Fuji X100 & X100s Germany 12,734 photos, 569 members
- Abstract Photos 125,274 photos, 19,436 members
- Fuji x100s 147,607 photos, 7,360 members
- Holocaust Mahnmal Berlin 1,618 photos, 685 members
- PORTUGAL UNLIMITED / Portugal Sem Limites 176,727 photos, 5,032 members
- re:publica 2011 390 photos, 39 members
- HIPSTER 5,581 photos, 643 members
- Mac Addicts 32,298 photos, 7,717 members
- Say NO to the new Flickr logo 43 photos, 177 members
- Erfurt/Thüringen 9,591 photos, 428 members
- Polarize & LOFI 33,003 photos, 5,448 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 6,127 photos, 237 members
- Ministract 38,085 photos, 1,099 members
- all but one 12,899 photos, 1,499 members
- The JURORS / Different Personalities, Different Views (Closed) 6,074 photos, 3,574 members
- Bremen 21,154 photos, 1,359 members
- Getty Images and the Flickr Collection (closed) 148,920 photos, 3,571 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,742 members
- Caspar David Friedrich Inspiration 73 photos, 51 members
- Barcelona 268,230 photos, 13,902 members
- Before or After (not now) 506 photos, 121 members
- Better Than Good 639,630 photos, 47,349 members
- LGBT 31,649 photos, 3,540 members
- Favorites: 200 22,226 photos, 3,932 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 39,491 photos, 2,967 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 11,921 photos, 6,308 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,183 photos, 80,926 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 51,549 photos, 6,864 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 96,043 photos, 4,525 members
- Havana / La Habana 36,240 photos, 2,103 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 839 photos, 22,030 members
- Arche 13 photos, 9 members
- LöschMich! Wie ein Phoenix aus der Asche! 9 photos, 95 members
- Zoo 275,771 photos, 12,193 members
- GRAFFITI NATION 720,863 photos, 7,602 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 2,062 photos, 999 members
- ALMOST !! 208 photos, 65 members
- Cultural Boxes 92,338 photos, 2,781 members
- concrete beauty 26,139 photos, 2,480 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,776 photos, 2,094 members
- Art Of Seeing 309 photos, 1,064 members
- Favorites: 150 20,575 photos, 3,385 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 65,312 photos, 12,853 members
- Cologne 39,565 photos, 2,574 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 104,414 photos, 10,125 members
- Offenbach 1,803 photos, 101 members
elegant wire says:
"creative in every direction!
every uploaded shot shows great eye for composition, colors and emotion. it's emotion, what let some of his shots stand out. they transport feelings, emotions and invite to interpret.
one shot at a time. it's not quantity, it's quality that dominates his stream. there is the tension, that the next one will be different and/or better or just another "beauty" to look at.
not many photographers are that skilled in using photoshop as a tool in the chain of producing an image. take his lith print style - it's not about fixin' something, it's about making someting new - somthing unique.
i'm pretty sure, that i will stay what i'm right now - a allegiant visitor of his work.
even deleteme! likes him ;-)"
November 20th, 2005
- Ralf Stockmann
- July 2005
- New York, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ralf Stockmann Photography