"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
I’m 36, male, married and from Germany.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
I’m head of the Göttinger Digitization Centre, somewhat popular for our online version of the Gutenberg Bible.
One can call me a late bloomer concerning photography. I did lots of other artsy stuff (music, webdesign and filmmaking) before, but my first noticeable pictures date from 1999. I joined Flickr in spring 2005, my colleague netomer said this would be the place to be.
I wasn’t impressed at all.
In July I stumbled into deleteme!, and things changed. I loved the combination of contest, excellence, nastiness and - humor. Good old days, I spent hours laughing about KKs comments. Nowadays – well.
What I do like:
All kind of experiments and unusual styles. IMHO it’s more interesting to try something uncommon even if it does not work out than to shoot the 500. “landscape at dawn” pic.
Heavy PS-editing. I’m addicted to Photoshop and always keen to find interesting new effects. Especially to simulate “vintage analog” stuff like my quite complex Lithprint filters. Sad thing: I’m the only one who likes them, but I can live with that.
Iconographic style: most of my pics are concentrated on one object, subject, contrast, theme.
All kinds of competition. No pain – no gain, no guts – no glory.
What I don’t like:
People (especially at deleteme!) who shout OVEREXPOSED! BLOWN OUT! UNDEREXPOSED! 1/3 RULE! when it’s quite obvious that the specific effect was nothing but intended. They may say “I do not like your approach” but anything like “go play by the rules” offends my intellect.
Realism freaks. Photography is a snapshot per definition, just a small section of the surrounding reality. Two dimensions – depth and time - are always missing. So any debate reading “keep the realism” is pointless. At times e.g. I love pop-art, and I show it.
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 580 photos, 73 members
- Fuji X100 & X100s Germany 9,278 photos, 478 members
- Abstract Photos 120,051 photos, 19,182 members
- Fuji x100s 124,549 photos, 7,316 members
- Holocaust Mahnmal Berlin 1,600 photos, 681 members
- PORTUGAL UNLIMITED / Portugal Sem Limites 125,443 photos, 4,164 members
- re:publica 2011 438 photos, 40 members
- HIPSTER 4,172 photos, 604 members
- Mac Addicts 33,225 photos, 7,973 members
- Say NO to the new Flickr logo 44 photos, 185 members
- Erfurt/Thüringen 7,351 photos, 384 members
- Polarize & LOFI 33,686 photos, 5,599 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,261 photos, 220 members
- Ministract 37,220 photos, 1,143 members
- all but one 12,932 photos, 1,546 members
- The JURORS / Different Personalities, Different Views (Closed) 6,268 photos, 3,667 members
- Bremen 18,371 photos, 1,231 members
- Getty Images and the Flickr Collection (closed) 121,334 photos, 3,326 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,935 members
- Caspar David Friedrich Inspiration 73 photos, 53 members
- Barcelona 237,434 photos, 13,100 members
- Before or After (not now) 470 photos, 120 members
- Better Than Good - Level 1 (p1/a3) 568,769 photos, 46,531 members
- LGBT 27,616 photos, 3,230 members
- GAY DAY 8,830 photos, 814 members
- Favorites: 200 10,583 photos, 2,492 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 12,502 photos, 1,973 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 12,153 photos, 5,907 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,940 photos, 72,386 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 53,769 photos, 6,892 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 82,571 photos, 4,247 members
- Havana / La Habana 28,884 photos, 1,760 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 875 photos, 22,516 members
- Arche 14 photos, 10 members
- LöschMich! Wie ein Phoenix aus der Asche! 9 photos, 100 members
- Zoo 229,967 photos, 11,379 members
- GRAFFITI NATION 555,362 photos, 7,322 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 2,052 photos, 1,035 members
- ALMOST !! 209 photos, 67 members
- Cultural Boxes 85,961 photos, 2,780 members
- concrete beauty 20,305 photos, 2,132 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,955 photos, 2,138 members
- Art Of Seeing 345 photos, 1,083 members
- Favorites: 150 10,734 photos, 1,965 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 66,162 photos, 13,071 members
- Cologne 31,655 photos, 2,344 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 114,388 photos, 12,731 members
- Offenbach 1,309 photos, 87 members
- Babies 133,658 photos, 13,686 members
- Funny Baby & Kids 65,646 photos, 6,989 members
"creative in every direction!
every uploaded shot shows great eye for composition, colors and emotion. it's emotion, what let some of his shots stand out. they transport feelings, emotions and invite to interpret.
one shot at a time. it's not quantity, it's quality that dominates his stream. there is the tension, that the next one will be different and/or better or just another "beauty" to look at.
not many photographers are that skilled in using photoshop as a tool in the chain of producing an image. take his lith print style - it's not about fixin' something, it's about making someting new - somthing unique.
i'm pretty sure, that i will stay what i'm right now - a allegiant visitor of his work.
even deleteme! likes him ;-)"
November 20th, 2005
- Ralf Stockmann
- July 2005
- New York, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ralf Stockmann Photography