The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (5)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (19)
- Aerial photos of Sydney - New South Wales - A C T 875 photos, 52 members
- Australian Aerial Photography 560 photos, 52 members
- The Great War 1914 - 1918 48,577 photos, 2,182 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 625,103 photos, 45,965 members
- Trams & Buses Downunder 1,552 photos, 47 members
- Riverina & South Western Slopes Group 710 photos, 10 members
- Vintage Beach Photos Down Under 94 photos, 23 members
- Churches and other places of worship Downunder 2,484 photos, 63 members
- Newcastle-Hunter-Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens area 1,894 photos, 10 members
- Blue Mountains History & Memories 1,609 photos, 16 members
- Flickr API 773 photos, 18,622 members
- Back to ᗷᒪᗩᑕK~ ♥ .Sorry, temporarily closed. 54,921 photos, 4,112 members
- Vintage Australia 1,452 photos, 35 members
- Sydney and Suburbs 6,218 photos, 32 members
- Ships of the Sea 4,832 photos, 70 members
- Vintage Sydney (Australia) 942 photos, 34 members
- Australian & NZ Shops & Stores 2,515 photos, 54 members
- Sydney's Hills & Hawkesbury Districts 3,034 photos, 12 members
- Ferries of Australia & New Zealand 2,034 photos, 41 members
- All Types of Cats 21 photos, 8 members
- Nature HQ 5,489 photos, 26,304 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 126,892 photos, 4,799 members
- MOUNTAIN 183,185 photos, 13,027 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 27,713 photos, 1,061 members
- Travellers' Tails 313 photos, 30 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 129,971 photos, 443 members
- Dancing Outside 423 photos, 57 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 146,568 photos, 4,502 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 375 photos, 107 members
- Victorian Hotels 717 photos, 58 members
- British Royal Families 6,771 photos, 433 members
- Cities and people 17,647 photos, 459 members
- ShutterStreet 6,862 photos, 392 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 622 photos, 78 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 32,885 photos, 1,365 members
- Portrait of society 3,798 photos, 354 members
- PLYM Magazine 163,021 photos, 4,055 members
- Ferries Across Australia (No 30/60 Groups Limit) 4,017 photos, 174 members
- Wharves around the World (No 30/60 Groups Limit) 8,051 photos, 259 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 17,492 photos, 2,200 members
- Vintage Fun 2,701 photos, 117 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,392 photos, 296 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,909 photos, 101 members
- Women in Aviation 40 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 4,801 photos, 648 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 8,123 photos, 381 members
- Weather Worldwide 78,316 photos, 3,082 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 23,645 photos, 1,127 members
- Vintage pics 42,806 photos, 796 members
- This Vintage Life 3,443 photos, 71 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales