The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (6)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Vintage Australia 22 photos, 17 members
- Sydney Suburbs 313 photos, 15 members
- Ships of the Sea 405 photos, 22 members
- Vintage Sydney (Australia) 228 photos, 15 members
- Australian Shops & Stores 542 photos, 29 members
- Sydney's Hills & Hawkesbury Districts 128 photos, 7 members
- Ferries of Australia 162 photos, 15 members
- All Types of Cats 21 photos, 3 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 1,885 photos, 24,548 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 64,647 photos, 4,429 members
- C is for...CASTLES 39,104 photos, 4,002 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 19,478 photos, 776 members
- Travellers' Tails 121 photos, 23 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 17,555 photos, 320 members
- Dancing Outside 333 photos, 40 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 77,891 photos, 4,092 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 265 photos, 75 members
- Victorian Hotels 332 photos, 28 members
- British Royal Families 6,218 photos, 378 members
- Cities and people 4,827 photos, 161 members
- ShutterStreet 5,004 photos, 408 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 590 photos, 69 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 22,339 photos, 1,327 members
- Portrait of society 1,746 photos, 311 members
- PLYM Magazine 122,227 photos, 3,864 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,479 photos, 140 members
- Wharves around the World 2,816 photos, 144 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 16,904 photos, 1,757 members
- Vintage Fun 1,327 photos, 80 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,207 photos, 302 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,682 photos, 101 members
- Women in Aviation 29 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 3,684 photos, 560 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,236 photos, 314 members
- Weather Worldwide 47,109 photos, 2,332 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 16,169 photos, 1,125 members
- Vintage pics 28,364 photos, 521 members
- This Vintage Life 2,363 photos, 53 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 59,601 photos, 3,054 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 7 photos, 5 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 8,706 photos, 287 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 65,986 photos, 516 members
- Natural Ice Formations 3,317 photos, 830 members
- Best Pictures of The World 52,105 photos, 1,296 members
- ccarbon ccopy 460 photos, 64 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 11,984 photos, 986 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,533 photos, 212 members
- All beautiful shots 4,733 photos, 302 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 5,025 photos, 394 members
- Latent Beauty 553 photos, 75 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales