The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (5)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Churches and other places of worship Downunder 472 photos, 21 members
- Newcastle-Hunter-Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens area 114 photos, 6 members
- Blue Mountains History & Memories 726 photos, 7 members
- Flickr API 783 photos, 17,268 members
- Back to BLACK ~ ⬛️ ~ BLACK and white ~ 40,091 photos, 2,186 members
- Vintage Australia 353 photos, 26 members
- Sydney Suburbs 1,079 photos, 20 members
- Ships of the Sea 2,535 photos, 46 members
- Vintage Sydney (Australia) 462 photos, 27 members
- Australian & NZ Shops & Stores 1,585 photos, 43 members
- Sydney's Hills & Hawkesbury Districts 1,506 photos, 12 members
- Ferries of Australia & New Zealand 874 photos, 26 members
- All Types of Cats 21 photos, 4 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 1,955 photos, 25,849 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 89,546 photos, 4,625 members
- MOUNTAIN 85,802 photos, 8,703 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 22,638 photos, 895 members
- Travellers' Tails 252 photos, 28 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 52,025 photos, 371 members
- Dancing Outside 395 photos, 49 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 99,261 photos, 4,251 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 275 photos, 87 members
- Victorian Hotels 559 photos, 41 members
- British Royal Families 6,581 photos, 406 members
- Cities and people 10,498 photos, 289 members
- ShutterStreet 6,023 photos, 403 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 606 photos, 74 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 26,164 photos, 1,349 members
- Portrait of society 2,635 photos, 335 members
- PLYM Magazine 146,464 photos, 4,050 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,910 photos, 152 members
- Wharves around the World 4,524 photos, 201 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 17,282 photos, 1,971 members
- Vintage Fun 1,835 photos, 94 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,314 photos, 300 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,810 photos, 101 members
- Women in Aviation 40 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 4,119 photos, 586 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,785 photos, 349 members
- Weather Worldwide 59,976 photos, 2,710 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 19,531 photos, 1,127 members
- Vintage pics 34,508 photos, 624 members
- This Vintage Life 2,731 photos, 58 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 70,697 photos, 3,242 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 4 photos, 4 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 9,399 photos, 288 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 67,946 photos, 517 members
- Natural Ice Formations 3,669 photos, 851 members
- Best Pictures of The World 83,906 photos, 1,427 members
- ccarbon ccopy 460 photos, 62 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales