The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (8)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- ANCIENT RELICS 25,058 photos, 2,206 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 229 photos, 56 members
- Victorian Hotels 149 photos, 23 members
- British Royal Families 5,282 photos, 327 members
- Cities and people 1,003 photos, 92 members
- ShutterStreet 3,017 photos, 413 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 571 photos, 66 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 18,113 photos, 1,301 members
- Portrait of society 982 photos, 284 members
- PLYM Magazine 76,361 photos, 3,243 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,901 photos, 105 members
- Wharves around the World 1,800 photos, 109 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 12,986 photos, 1,420 members
- Vintage Fun 876 photos, 53 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 853 photos, 301 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,500 photos, 93 members
- Women in Aviation 29 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 3,096 photos, 502 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 5,352 photos, 286 members
- Weather Worldwide 29,247 photos, 1,635 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 9,823 photos, 1,038 members
- Vintage pics 17,932 photos, 376 members
- This Vintage Life 1,781 photos, 45 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 49,564 photos, 2,880 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 6 photos, 5 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 6,974 photos, 258 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 62,742 photos, 523 members
- Natural Ice Formations 2,683 photos, 819 members
- Best Pictures of The World 28,432 photos, 1,141 members
- ccarbon ccopy 468 photos, 65 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 11,335 photos, 987 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,538 photos, 210 members
- All beautiful shots 4,300 photos, 288 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 4,929 photos, 398 members
- Latent Beauty 542 photos, 79 members
- Industrial! 8,577 photos, 564 members
- A Black and White World 22,067 photos, 340 members
- If its Not Punk its Junk 813 photos, 168 members
- Australian Railway and Tram Photographers 5,305 photos, 39 members
- !Your Best Animal Photo ~~Award 2 57,891 photos, 3,420 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,675 members
- Objects-Nesneler (New) 3,759 photos, 398 members
- Awesome Photoss 876 photos, 116 members
- when I fall in love ... 318 photos, 97 members
- Photo is my inspiration *Foto é a minha inspiraçao* P1/C2 12,714 photos, 645 members
- Fantastic Photography [1 post 2 awards] 9,215 photos, 350 members
- INFLUENZA 3 photos, 35 members
- Molto Bella 8,992 photos, 1,131 members
- hayvanlar(animals) 1,453 photos, 299 members
- BOMBEIROS * FIREFIGHTERS 2,956 photos, 349 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
4th October, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales