Here's a better viewing alternative of my photos:
Oi! Hej! Hallo! Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ni hao! Kia Ora! G'day! Hola! Shalom! Howdy!
Born and raised in Vancouver I'm a true blue west coaster. I'm interested in Vancouver's urban landscape and history. I'm an aspiring photographer documenting my local surroundings and the world abroad. Working towards becoming a better storyteller.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
Canon EOS 40D (DSLR) - landscape, still life & macro photography
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (micro four thirds) - street photography
Nikon Coolpix P530 (compact super zoom) - wildlife & bird photography
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Samsung Galaxy S5
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (SLR)
Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 (folding)
Holga 120N (toy camera)
Diana+ (lomography toy camera)
Nikon F2 (SLR) - black & white photography
Rollei 35 (viewfinder)
Konica C35 (rangefinder)
Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (toy camera)
Ansco Pix Panorama (toy camera)
rest of the gear
Whenever I'm not poor (poor = often) and when I've got the time, I love to go backpacking:
Mike has been to: United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Brazil, Botswana, Canada, Chile, People's Republic of China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, Germany, Ecuador, Egypt, France, United Kingdom, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, India, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Cambodia, Monaco, Mongolia, Macao, Malawi, Mexico, Malaysia, Namibia, Netherlands, Nepal, New Zealand, Peru, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Tibet, Turkey, Tanzania, United States, Uruguay, Vatican, Vietnam, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
In 2014 Mike has been to: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Kenya, Macao, Malawi, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
My photographs are copyrighted, so please ask permission to use it for commercial purposes. Not to be reproduced or copied in any way whatsoever without written consent from me first.
I'm usually happy to be blogged except when defamation, extremist views and other nasty things are involved.
Usually I am happy to provide pics free of charge for non-commercial purposes (dissertations, promotion of charities, etc). Just send me a Flickrmail. Thanks!
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND STEVE SKOG:
VERY GOOD CAUSES:
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada:
BC Lupus Society:
Arthritis Society Canada:
Canadian Cancer Society:
Canadian Dementia Action Network:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Social Services:
Tapestry Foundation for Health Care:
Cheers and happy clicking!
- Flickr Friday 38,895 photos, 41,198 members
- A CEMETERY 9,314 photos, 579 members
- PAGEANTS AND PARADES. 3,252 photos, 129 members
- Takeaways and Chip Shops of the World 2,054 photos, 196 members
- Your Best Shot 2016 27,243 photos, 38,331 members
- A NATIONAL PARK 36,038 photos, 1,485 members
- ANCIENT WORLD 28,488 photos, 1,195 members
- Vancouver Photowalks MU 2016 Worldwide Photowalk 50 photos, 21 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 23,770 photos, 5,071 members
- Outdoor Photography 636,193 photos, 11,361 members
- Color and Colors 3,773,904 photos, 100,720 members
- Photography 4,680,124 photos, 68,389 members
- Your Best Shot For Today 371,693 photos, 4,207 members
- Compositions 607,980 photos, 14,524 members
- Clouds, Storms, Sunsets & Sunrises 727,006 photos, 34,350 members
- in explore 993,101 photos, 82,082 members
- Cell Phone Photography 397,945 photos, 11,714 members
- olloclip 12,135 photos, 1,951 members
- Urban Fragments 2 (NO people) 24,279 photos, 1,072 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 24,352 photos, 41,929 members
- Nikon Coolpix P Series User Group 11,309 photos, 331 members
- Nikon Digital 3,927,739 photos, 110,827 members
- canon digital photography. 928,301 photos, 13,558 members
- Samsung Mobile Photography 42,273 photos, 2,095 members
- Samsung GALAXY S5 Photography 8,631 photos, 502 members
- geometric 1,192 photos, 335 members
- lunar moon 970 photos, 219 members
- INDO INDIAN RELICS 10,538 photos, 945 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 28,070 photos, 1,185 members
- ANSCO PIX PANORAMA 543 photos, 92 members
- Vintage Steel Signs 17,276 photos, 561 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 10,685 photos, 1,400 members
- Project Weather 629,034 photos, 93,342 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 4,616 photos, 117 members
- Vancouver 2014 2,772 photos, 66 members
- Historical Calgary 1,005 photos, 103 members
- Vancouver 2013 1,956 photos, 52 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 / SX60 83,445 photos, 2,520 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 695 photos, 45 members
- Grey Boxes (Canada Post) 158 photos, 6 members
- Bad Parking 4,730 photos, 889 members
- Your BC: The Tyee's Photo Pool 67,255 photos, 993 members
- Kodak 400CN BW Professional Film 5,966 photos, 441 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,015 photos, 3,056 members
- Caustics 2,385 photos, 323 members
- Rollei 35 34,362 photos, 4,484 members
- The 2011 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 621 photos, 171 members
- Miss604.com Photo Pool for Metro Vancouver 54,850 photos, 835 members
- Beyond Robson 52,832 photos, 953 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 6,451 photos, 1,701 members
"Mike's photographs first came to my attention while searching for photographs of historic Vancouver hotels and commercial buildings on flicker.
I then discovered Mike's photographs go way beyond recording the ever-changing urban environment. While I specifically enjoy and often visit his photographic sets: Vancouver Now & Then, Mt. Pleasant: Something is Brewing (I lived in Mt. Pleasant on East 13th from 1982-84), Mom & Pop Stores, Japantown: Fogotten By Time, Downtown Eastside: Down but Not Out; Mike also offers up an interesting mix of non historic urban fare.
I only wish that there were more people like Mike a hundred years ago running around the lower mainland and taking amazing pictures that record the ever changing and the interesting.
I certainly am glad to have discovered Mike's photographs.
Just like the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, squeeky marmot gets my testimonial ~ and well deserved."
June 23rd, 2007
- April 2006
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- civil drafter, map maker, labour activist, backpacker, photography student, professional slacker