Here's a better viewing alternative of my photos:
Oi! Hej! Hallo! Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ni hao! Kia Ora! G'day! Hola! Shalom! Howdy!
Born and raised in Vancouver I'm a true blue west coaster. I'm interested in Vancouver's urban landscape and history. I'm an aspiring photographer documenting my local surroundings and the world abroad. Working towards becoming a better storyteller.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
Canon EOS 40D (DSLR) - landscape, still life & macro photography
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (micro four thirds) - street photography
Nikon Coolpix P530 (compact super zoom) - wildlife & bird photography
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Samsung Galaxy S5
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (SLR)
Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 (folding)
Holga 120N (toy camera)
Diana+ (lomography toy camera)
Nikon F2 (SLR) - black & white photography
Rollei 35 (viewfinder)
Konica C35 (rangefinder)
Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (toy camera)
Ansco Pix Panorama (toy camera)
rest of the gear
Whenever I'm not poor (poor = often) and when I've got the time, I love to go backpacking:
Mike has been to: United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Brazil, Botswana, Canada, Chile, People's Republic of China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, Germany, Ecuador, Egypt, France, United Kingdom, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, India, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Cambodia, Monaco, Mongolia, Macao, Malawi, Mexico, Malaysia, Namibia, Netherlands, Nepal, New Zealand, Peru, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Tibet, Turkey, Tanzania, United States, Uruguay, Vatican, Vietnam, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
In 2014 Mike has been to: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Kenya, Macao, Malawi, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
My photographs are copyrighted, so please ask permission to use it for commercial purposes. Not to be reproduced or copied in any way whatsoever without written consent from me first.
I'm usually happy to be blogged except when defamation, extremist views and other nasty things are involved.
Usually I am happy to provide pics free of charge for non-commercial purposes (dissertations, promotion of charities, etc). Just send me a Flickrmail. Thanks!
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND STEVE SKOG:
VERY GOOD CAUSES:
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada:
BC Lupus Society:
Arthritis Society Canada:
Canadian Cancer Society:
Canadian Dementia Action Network:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Social Services:
Tapestry Foundation for Health Care:
Cheers and happy clicking!
- MOUNTAIN 197,909 photos, 13,183 members
- Vancouver in Black and White 1,395 photos, 97 members
- Vancity Photography Group 102 photos, 34 members
- A CEMETERY 12,141 photos, 616 members
- ALL PEOPLE GAMES 3,480 photos, 121 members
- Takeaways and Chip Shops of the World 2,442 photos, 213 members
- Your Best Shot 2016 26,545 photos, 37,243 members
- A NATIONAL PARK 48,889 photos, 1,529 members
- ANCIENT WORLD 36,679 photos, 1,208 members
- Vancouver Photowalks MU 2016 Worldwide Photowalk 50 photos, 21 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 23,107 photos, 11,067 members
- Outdoor Photography 669,040 photos, 11,742 members
- Color and Colors 3,889,291 photos, 102,262 members
- Photography 5,123,937 photos, 71,730 members
- Your Best Shot For Today 424,024 photos, 4,436 members
- Compositions 619,008 photos, 14,718 members
- Clouds, Storms, Sunsets & Sunrises 780,873 photos, 36,067 members
- in explore 1,102,815 photos, 88,894 members
- Cell Phone Photography 395,043 photos, 11,880 members
- olloclip 11,654 photos, 1,912 members
- Urban Fragments 2 (NO people) 28,574 photos, 1,092 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 23,827 photos, 41,128 members
- Nikon Coolpix P Series User Group 11,787 photos, 340 members
- Nikon Digital 4,103,130 photos, 112,408 members
- canon digital photography. 951,377 photos, 13,598 members
- Samsung Mobile Photography 47,460 photos, 2,237 members
- Samsung GALAXY S5 Photography 9,276 photos, 491 members
- geometric 1,156 photos, 330 members
- lunar moon 942 photos, 213 members
- INDO INDIAN RELICS 10,864 photos, 954 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 29,120 photos, 1,215 members
- ANSCO PIX PANORAMA 543 photos, 94 members
- Vintage Steel Signs 17,809 photos, 573 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 11,095 photos, 1,429 members
- Project Weather 611,770 photos, 92,462 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 4,897 photos, 122 members
- Vancouver 2014 2,757 photos, 66 members
- Historical Calgary 1,006 photos, 103 members
- Vancouver 2013 1,956 photos, 52 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 / SX60 / SX70 77,781 photos, 2,506 members
- Grey Boxes (Canada Post) 160 photos, 6 members
- Bad Parking 4,761 photos, 884 members
- Your BC: The Tyee's Photo Pool 65,960 photos, 991 members
- Kodak 400CN BW Professional Film 5,961 photos, 436 members
- Caustics 2,769 photos, 323 members
- Rollei 35 35,743 photos, 4,723 members
- The 2011 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 610 photos, 170 members
- Miss604.com Photo Pool for Metro Vancouver 54,884 photos, 828 members
- Beyond Robson 53,364 photos, 932 members
- October 10, 2010 1,650 photos, 2,354 members
"Mike's photographs first came to my attention while searching for photographs of historic Vancouver hotels and commercial buildings on flicker.
I then discovered Mike's photographs go way beyond recording the ever-changing urban environment. While I specifically enjoy and often visit his photographic sets: Vancouver Now & Then, Mt. Pleasant: Something is Brewing (I lived in Mt. Pleasant on East 13th from 1982-84), Mom & Pop Stores, Japantown: Fogotten By Time, Downtown Eastside: Down but Not Out; Mike also offers up an interesting mix of non historic urban fare.
I only wish that there were more people like Mike a hundred years ago running around the lower mainland and taking amazing pictures that record the ever changing and the interesting.
I certainly am glad to have discovered Mike's photographs.
Just like the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, squeeky marmot gets my testimonial ~ and well deserved."
June 23rd, 2007
- April 2006
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- civil drafter, map maker, labour activist, backpacker, photography student, professional slacker