Here's a better viewing alternative of my photos:
Oi! Hej! Hallo! Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ni hao! Kia Ora! G'day! Hola! Shalom! Howdy!
Born and raised in Vancouver I'm a true blue west coaster. I'm interested in Vancouver's urban landscape and history. I'm an aspiring photographer documenting my local surroundings and the world abroad. Working towards becoming a better storyteller.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
Canon EOS 40D (DSLR) - landscape, still life & macro photography
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (micro four thirds) - street photography
Nikon Coolpix P530 (compact super zoom) - wildlife & bird photography
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Samsung Galaxy S5
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (SLR)
Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 (folding)
Holga 120N (toy camera)
Diana+ (lomography toy camera)
Nikon F2 (SLR) - black & white photography
Rollei 35 (viewfinder)
Konica C35 (rangefinder)
Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (toy camera)
Ansco Pix Panorama (toy camera)
rest of the gear
Whenever I'm not poor (poor = often) and when I've got the time, I love to go backpacking:
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
In 2014 Mike has been to: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Kenya, Macao, Malawi, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
My photographs are copyrighted, so please ask permission to use it for commercial purposes. Not to be reproduced or copied in any way whatsoever without written consent from me first.
I'm usually happy to be blogged except when defamation, extremist views and other nasty things are involved.
Usually I am happy to provide pics free of charge for non-commercial purposes (dissertations, promotion of charities, etc). Just send me a Flickrmail. Thanks!
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND STEVE SKOG:
VERY GOOD CAUSES:
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada:
BC Lupus Society:
Arthritis Society Canada:
Canadian Cancer Society:
Canadian Dementia Action Network:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Social Services:
Tapestry Foundation for Health Care:
Cheers and happy clicking!
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 21,993 photos, 1,015 members
- ANSCO PIX PANORAMA 450 photos, 71 members
- Vintage Steel Signs 14,444 photos, 511 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 8,136 photos, 1,263 members
- Project Weather 569,388 photos, 84,306 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,322 photos, 104 members
- Vancouver 2014 2,816 photos, 72 members
- Historical Calgary 977 photos, 96 members
- Vancouver 2013 1,972 photos, 58 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 61,858 photos, 2,439 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 696 photos, 52 members
- Grey Boxes (Canada Post) 146 photos, 6 members
- Bad Parking 4,591 photos, 909 members
- Your BC: The Tyee's Photo Pool 55,237 photos, 938 members
- Kodak 400CN BW Professional Film 5,404 photos, 438 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,092 photos, 3,188 members
- Caustics 2,308 photos, 302 members
- Rollei 35 27,526 photos, 3,417 members
- The 2011 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 627 photos, 175 members
- Miss604.com Photo Pool for Metro Vancouver 43,401 photos, 800 members
- Beyond Robson 48,752 photos, 975 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 5,654 photos, 1,758 members
- October 10, 2010 1,766 photos, 2,477 members
- Mitsubishi Delica Group 453 photos, 51 members
- Konica C35 5,395 photos, 1,158 members
- manhole cover 20,345 photos, 1,509 members
- Busstop / Parada / остановка / Haltestellen - Weltreise 3,044 photos, 507 members
- jermalism 1,004 photos, 175 members
- Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics 13,871 photos, 829 members
- Canon PowerShot S90 49,133 photos, 3,062 members
- Globe and Mail Reader Submissions 53,204 photos, 5,282 members
- Project 365 1,797,249 photos, 29,805 members
- Storm_Light - The Photography of Steve Skog 0 photos, 70 members
- Vancouver-area Four Thirds Photographers 24,043 photos, 343 members
- I shoot film Vancouver 7,205 photos, 258 members
- EastVanRules 546 photos, 12 members
- Lonely Planet Publications: Photobook 243,076 photos, 8,377 members
- The Orange Pinto Group 57 photos, 41 members
- Spacing Vancouver 6,857 photos, 181 members
- Looking Into the Past 2,977 photos, 4,197 members
- Greater Victoria Neon 87 photos, 34 members
- Vancouver's Cemetery - Mountain View 1,553 photos, 45 members
- Zeiss Ikon Medium Format Group 11,365 photos, 1,590 members
- Folding medium format cameras 23,887 photos, 1,573 members
- Panasonic G1 29,379 photos, 886 members
- Vancouver DSLR Photographers 71,714 photos, 2,169 members
- Flatirons - Wedged Buildings 1,360 photos, 561 members
- Stick Figures in Peril 25,727 photos, 19,219 members
- CBC Radio 3 64,352 photos, 1,733 members
- Tourism Burnaby - Shoot, Tag, Win 868 photos, 162 members
"Mike's photographs first came to my attention while searching for photographs of historic Vancouver hotels and commercial buildings on flicker.
I then discovered Mike's photographs go way beyond recording the ever-changing urban environment. While I specifically enjoy and often visit his photographic sets: Vancouver Now & Then, Mt. Pleasant: Something is Brewing (I lived in Mt. Pleasant on East 13th from 1982-84), Mom & Pop Stores, Japantown: Fogotten By Time, Downtown Eastside: Down but Not Out; Mike also offers up an interesting mix of non historic urban fare.
I only wish that there were more people like Mike a hundred years ago running around the lower mainland and taking amazing pictures that record the ever changing and the interesting.
I certainly am glad to have discovered Mike's photographs.
Just like the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, squeeky marmot gets my testimonial ~ and well deserved."
June 23rd, 2007
- April 2006
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- civil drafter, map maker, labour activist, backpacker, photography student, professional slacker