Here's a better viewing alternative of my photos:
Oi! Hej! Hallo! Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ni hao! Kia Ora! G'day! Hola! Shalom! Howdy!
Born and raised in Vancouver I'm a true blue west coaster. I'm interested in Vancouver's urban landscape and history. I'm an aspiring photographer documenting my local surroundings and the world abroad. Working towards becoming a better storyteller.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
Canon EOS 40D (DSLR) - landscape, still life & macro photography
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (micro four thirds) - street photography
Nikon Coolpix P530 (compact super zoom) - wildlife & bird photography
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Samsung Galaxy S5
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (SLR)
Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 (folding)
Holga 120N (toy camera)
Diana+ (lomography toy camera)
Nikon F2 (SLR) - black & white photography
Rollei 35 (viewfinder)
Konica C35 (rangefinder)
Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (toy camera)
Ansco Pix Panorama (toy camera)
rest of the gear
Whenever I'm not poor (poor = often) and when I've got the time, I love to go backpacking:
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
In 2014 Mike has been to: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Kenya, Macao, Malawi, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
My photographs are copyrighted, so please ask permission to use it for commercial purposes. Not to be reproduced or copied in any way whatsoever without written consent from me first.
I'm usually happy to be blogged except when defamation, extremist views and other nasty things are involved.
Usually I am happy to provide pics free of charge for non-commercial purposes (dissertations, promotion of charities, etc). Just send me a Flickrmail. Thanks!
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND STEVE SKOG:
VERY GOOD CAUSES:
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada:
BC Lupus Society:
Arthritis Society Canada:
Canadian Cancer Society:
Canadian Dementia Action Network:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Social Services:
Tapestry Foundation for Health Care:
Cheers and happy clicking!
- ANSCO PIX PANORAMA 450 photos, 71 members
- Vintage Steel Signs 14,488 photos, 503 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 7,959 photos, 1,253 members
- Project Weather 492,308 photos, 78,298 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,337 photos, 104 members
- Vancouver 2014 2,816 photos, 71 members
- Historical Calgary 974 photos, 91 members
- Vancouver 2013 1,975 photos, 57 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 58,689 photos, 2,426 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 695 photos, 54 members
- Grey Boxes (Canada Post) 142 photos, 6 members
- Bad Parking 4,775 photos, 913 members
- Your BC: The Tyee's Photo Pool 53,255 photos, 911 members
- Kodak 400CN BW Professional Film 5,243 photos, 417 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,106 photos, 3,205 members
- Caustics 2,298 photos, 300 members
- Rollei 35 27,001 photos, 3,324 members
- The 2011 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 627 photos, 175 members
- Miss604.com Photo Pool for Metro Vancouver 41,467 photos, 783 members
- Beyond Robson 48,065 photos, 974 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 5,602 photos, 1,765 members
- October 10, 2010 1,775 photos, 2,489 members
- Mitsubishi Delica Group 449 photos, 51 members
- Konica C35 5,359 photos, 1,127 members
- manhole cover 19,874 photos, 1,499 members
- Busstop / Parada / остановка / Haltestellen - Weltreise 3,013 photos, 505 members
- jermalism 1,000 photos, 174 members
- Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics 13,898 photos, 832 members
- Canon PowerShot S90 49,022 photos, 3,081 members
- Globe and Mail Reader Submissions 53,534 photos, 5,305 members
- Project 365 1,776,828 photos, 29,585 members
- Storm_Light - The Photography of Steve Skog 0 photos, 70 members
- Vancouver-area Four Thirds Photographers 23,347 photos, 334 members
- I shoot film Vancouver 6,830 photos, 254 members
- EastVanRules 541 photos, 12 members
- Lonely Planet Publications: Photobook 230,410 photos, 8,119 members
- The Orange Pinto Group 57 photos, 41 members
- Spacing Vancouver 6,487 photos, 181 members
- Looking Into the Past 2,992 photos, 4,197 members
- Greater Victoria Neon 87 photos, 34 members
- Vancouver's Cemetery - Mountain View 1,392 photos, 43 members
- Zeiss Ikon Medium Format Group 11,068 photos, 1,549 members
- Folding medium format cameras 23,419 photos, 1,555 members
- Panasonic G1 29,373 photos, 889 members
- Vancouver DSLR Photographers 69,445 photos, 2,130 members
- Flatirons - Wedged Buildings 1,349 photos, 558 members
- Stick Figures in Peril 25,493 photos, 18,731 members
- CBC Radio 3 64,018 photos, 1,735 members
- Tourism Burnaby - Shoot, Tag, Win 859 photos, 158 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 495,281 photos, 17,688 members
"Mike's photographs first came to my attention while searching for photographs of historic Vancouver hotels and commercial buildings on flicker.
I then discovered Mike's photographs go way beyond recording the ever-changing urban environment. While I specifically enjoy and often visit his photographic sets: Vancouver Now & Then, Mt. Pleasant: Something is Brewing (I lived in Mt. Pleasant on East 13th from 1982-84), Mom & Pop Stores, Japantown: Fogotten By Time, Downtown Eastside: Down but Not Out; Mike also offers up an interesting mix of non historic urban fare.
I only wish that there were more people like Mike a hundred years ago running around the lower mainland and taking amazing pictures that record the ever changing and the interesting.
I certainly am glad to have discovered Mike's photographs.
Just like the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, squeeky marmot gets my testimonial ~ and well deserved."
June 23rd, 2007
- April 2006
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- civil drafter, map maker, labour activist, backpacker, photography student, professional slacker