Here's a better viewing alternative of my photos:
Oi! Hej! Hallo! Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ni hao! Kia Ora! G'day! Hola! Shalom! Howdy!
Born and raised in Vancouver I'm a true blue west coaster. I'm interested in Vancouver's urban landscape and history. I'm an aspiring photographer documenting my local surroundings and the world abroad. Working towards becoming a better storyteller.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
Canon EOS 40D (DSLR) - landscape, still life & macro photography
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (micro four thirds) - street photography
Nikon Coolpix P530 (compact super zoom) - wildlife & bird photography
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Samsung Galaxy S5
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (SLR)
Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 (folding)
Holga 120N (toy camera)
Diana+ (lomography toy camera)
Nikon F2 (SLR) - black & white photography
Rollei 35 (viewfinder)
Konica C35 (rangefinder)
Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (toy camera)
Ansco Pix Panorama (toy camera)
rest of the gear
Whenever I'm not poor (poor = often) and when I've got the time, I love to go backpacking:
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
In 2014 Mike has been to: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Kenya, Macao, Malawi, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
My photographs are copyrighted, so please ask permission to use it for commercial purposes. Not to be reproduced or copied in any way whatsoever without written consent from me first.
I'm usually happy to be blogged except when defamation, extremist views and other nasty things are involved.
Usually I am happy to provide pics free of charge for non-commercial purposes (dissertations, promotion of charities, etc). Just send me a Flickrmail. Thanks!
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND STEVE SKOG:
VERY GOOD CAUSES:
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada:
BC Lupus Society:
Arthritis Society Canada:
Canadian Cancer Society:
Canadian Dementia Action Network:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Social Services:
Tapestry Foundation for Health Care:
Cheers and happy clicking!
- ANSCO PIX PANORAMA 448 photos, 70 members
- Vintage Steel Signs 14,315 photos, 498 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 7,768 photos, 1,249 members
- Project Weather 401,232 photos, 72,385 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,362 photos, 103 members
- Vancouver 2014 2,859 photos, 73 members
- Historical Calgary 972 photos, 90 members
- Vancouver 2013 1,975 photos, 57 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 56,440 photos, 2,399 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 695 photos, 52 members
- Grey Boxes (Canada Post) 141 photos, 6 members
- Bad Parking 4,809 photos, 914 members
- Your BC: The Tyee's Photo Pool 51,969 photos, 898 members
- Kodak 400CN BW Professional Film 5,153 photos, 411 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,112 photos, 3,221 members
- Caustics 2,301 photos, 298 members
- Rollei 35 26,657 photos, 3,248 members
- The 2011 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 627 photos, 174 members
- Miss604.com Photo Pool for Metro Vancouver 40,048 photos, 760 members
- Beyond Robson 47,648 photos, 973 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 5,456 photos, 1,766 members
- October 10, 2010 1,778 photos, 2,496 members
- Mitsubishi Delica Group 446 photos, 51 members
- Konica C35 5,276 photos, 1,102 members
- manhole cover 19,548 photos, 1,493 members
- Busstop / Parada / остановка / Haltestellen - Weltreise 3,009 photos, 503 members
- jermalism 994 photos, 175 members
- Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics 13,901 photos, 834 members
- Canon PowerShot S90 48,864 photos, 3,081 members
- Globe and Mail Reader Submissions 53,571 photos, 5,311 members
- Project 365 1,758,757 photos, 29,402 members
- Storm_Light - The Photography of Steve Skog 0 photos, 70 members
- Vancouver-area Four Thirds Photographers 22,510 photos, 327 members
- I shoot film Vancouver 6,611 photos, 249 members
- EastVanRules 539 photos, 12 members
- Lonely Planet Publications: Photobook 222,147 photos, 7,968 members
- The Orange Pinto Group 57 photos, 41 members
- Spacing Vancouver 6,326 photos, 180 members
- Looking Into the Past 2,994 photos, 4,196 members
- Greater Victoria Neon 87 photos, 36 members
- Vancouver's Cemetery - Mountain View 1,418 photos, 43 members
- Zeiss Ikon Medium Format Group 10,908 photos, 1,517 members
- Folding medium format cameras 23,020 photos, 1,533 members
- Panasonic G1 29,180 photos, 888 members
- Vancouver DSLR Photographers 68,188 photos, 2,102 members
- Flatirons - Wedged Buildings 1,339 photos, 553 members
- Stick Figures in Peril 25,434 photos, 18,456 members
- CBC Radio 3 63,769 photos, 1,738 members
- Tourism Burnaby - Shoot, Tag, Win 850 photos, 157 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 493,570 photos, 17,679 members
"Mike's photographs first came to my attention while searching for photographs of historic Vancouver hotels and commercial buildings on flicker.
I then discovered Mike's photographs go way beyond recording the ever-changing urban environment. While I specifically enjoy and often visit his photographic sets: Vancouver Now & Then, Mt. Pleasant: Something is Brewing (I lived in Mt. Pleasant on East 13th from 1982-84), Mom & Pop Stores, Japantown: Fogotten By Time, Downtown Eastside: Down but Not Out; Mike also offers up an interesting mix of non historic urban fare.
I only wish that there were more people like Mike a hundred years ago running around the lower mainland and taking amazing pictures that record the ever changing and the interesting.
I certainly am glad to have discovered Mike's photographs.
Just like the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, squeeky marmot gets my testimonial ~ and well deserved."
June 23rd, 2007
- April 2006
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- civil drafter, map maker, labour activist, backpacker, photography student, professional slacker