Here's a better viewing alternative of my photos:
Oi! Hej! Hallo! Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ni hao! Kia Ora! G'day! Hola! Shalom! Howdy!
Born and raised in Vancouver I'm a true blue west coaster. I'm interested in Vancouver's urban landscape and history. I'm an aspiring photographer documenting my local surroundings and the world abroad. Working towards becoming a better storyteller.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE:
Canon EOS 40D (DSLR) - landscape, still life & macro photography
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (micro four thirds) - street photography
Nikon Coolpix P530 (compact super zoom) - wildlife & bird photography
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Samsung Galaxy S5
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (SLR)
Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 (folding)
Holga 120N (toy camera)
Diana+ (lomography toy camera)
Nikon F2 (SLR) - black & white photography
Rollei 35 (viewfinder)
Konica C35 (rangefinder)
Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (toy camera)
Ansco Pix Panorama (toy camera)
rest of the gear
Whenever I'm not poor (poor = often) and when I've got the time, I love to go backpacking:
Mike has been to: United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Brazil, Botswana, Canada, Chile, People's Republic of China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, Germany, Ecuador, Egypt, France, United Kingdom, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, India, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Cambodia, Monaco, Mongolia, Macao, Malawi, Mexico, Malaysia, Namibia, Netherlands, Nepal, New Zealand, Peru, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Tibet, Turkey, Tanzania, United States, Uruguay, Vatican, Vietnam, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
In 2014 Mike has been to: Canada, China, Hong Kong, Kenya, Macao, Malawi, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
My photographs are copyrighted, so please ask permission to use it for commercial purposes. Not to be reproduced or copied in any way whatsoever without written consent from me first.
I'm usually happy to be blogged except when defamation, extremist views and other nasty things are involved.
Usually I am happy to provide pics free of charge for non-commercial purposes (dissertations, promotion of charities, etc). Just send me a Flickrmail. Thanks!
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOM:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND STEVE SKOG:
VERY GOOD CAUSES:
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada:
BC Lupus Society:
Arthritis Society Canada:
Canadian Cancer Society:
Canadian Dementia Action Network:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Social Services:
Tapestry Foundation for Health Care:
Cheers and happy clicking!
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 22,180 photos, 1,019 members
- ANSCO PIX PANORAMA 454 photos, 74 members
- Vintage Steel Signs 14,503 photos, 515 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 8,228 photos, 1,261 members
- Project Weather 607,072 photos, 87,642 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,357 photos, 104 members
- Vancouver 2014 2,814 photos, 72 members
- Historical Calgary 974 photos, 95 members
- Vancouver 2013 1,972 photos, 58 members
- Canon SX30 / SX40 / SX50 62,644 photos, 2,443 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 696 photos, 52 members
- Grey Boxes (Canada Post) 147 photos, 6 members
- Bad Parking 4,600 photos, 910 members
- Your BC: The Tyee's Photo Pool 55,835 photos, 948 members
- Kodak 400CN BW Professional Film 5,435 photos, 438 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,090 photos, 3,188 members
- Caustics 2,310 photos, 301 members
- Rollei 35 27,708 photos, 3,449 members
- The 2011 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 627 photos, 175 members
- Miss604.com Photo Pool for Metro Vancouver 44,030 photos, 806 members
- Beyond Robson 48,897 photos, 975 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 5,688 photos, 1,757 members
- October 10, 2010 1,763 photos, 2,473 members
- Mitsubishi Delica Group 452 photos, 51 members
- Konica C35 5,441 photos, 1,167 members
- manhole cover 20,500 photos, 1,513 members
- Busstop / Parada / остановка / Haltestellen - Weltreise 3,056 photos, 508 members
- jermalism 1,004 photos, 175 members
- Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics 13,872 photos, 829 members
- Canon PowerShot S90 49,179 photos, 3,064 members
- Globe and Mail Reader Submissions 53,178 photos, 5,278 members
- Project 365 1,804,141 photos, 29,891 members
- Storm_Light - The Photography of Steve Skog 0 photos, 70 members
- Vancouver-area Four Thirds Photographers 24,365 photos, 352 members
- I shoot film Vancouver 7,278 photos, 259 members
- EastVanRules 553 photos, 12 members
- Lonely Planet Publications: Photobook 247,649 photos, 8,475 members
- The Orange Pinto Group 57 photos, 41 members
- Spacing Vancouver 6,958 photos, 181 members
- Looking Into the Past 2,960 photos, 4,200 members
- Greater Victoria Neon 88 photos, 34 members
- Vancouver's Cemetery - Mountain View 1,679 photos, 45 members
- Zeiss Ikon Medium Format Group 11,471 photos, 1,604 members
- Folding medium format cameras 24,059 photos, 1,576 members
- Panasonic G1 29,306 photos, 884 members
- Vancouver DSLR Photographers 72,206 photos, 2,185 members
- Flatirons - Wedged Buildings 1,365 photos, 565 members
- Stick Figures in Peril 25,758 photos, 19,362 members
- CBC Radio 3 64,383 photos, 1,733 members
- Tourism Burnaby - Shoot, Tag, Win 877 photos, 161 members
"Mike's photographs first came to my attention while searching for photographs of historic Vancouver hotels and commercial buildings on flicker.
I then discovered Mike's photographs go way beyond recording the ever-changing urban environment. While I specifically enjoy and often visit his photographic sets: Vancouver Now & Then, Mt. Pleasant: Something is Brewing (I lived in Mt. Pleasant on East 13th from 1982-84), Mom & Pop Stores, Japantown: Fogotten By Time, Downtown Eastside: Down but Not Out; Mike also offers up an interesting mix of non historic urban fare.
I only wish that there were more people like Mike a hundred years ago running around the lower mainland and taking amazing pictures that record the ever changing and the interesting.
I certainly am glad to have discovered Mike's photographs.
Just like the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, squeeky marmot gets my testimonial ~ and well deserved."
June 23rd, 2007
- April 2006
- Vancouver, Canada
- I am:
- civil drafter, map maker, labour activist, backpacker, photography student, professional slacker