Well,I am completely obsessed with the victorian era, especially photography, And especially tintypes.
I'm an antique dealer so I am forced to keep just my "favourites", but well it's amazing just how many of those I seem to have, sometimes your'e just holding a photo in your hand and you make a connection with the person and they become a friend!
Well, you can`t sell a friend.
So, I find myself buying and selling mostly vintage jewellery which i don't get attached too but it seems loads of women do and this funds my little, or rather big habit.
I am especially drawn to slightly scary or scared looking children and love some of the amazing watercolour backgrounds of mansion gardens or castles that you can almost walk into and become that child and run around in.
I also love the Parisian belle epoque and have a collection of theatre actress postcards and love the photos of Atget they ooze atmosphere.
Other obsessions include faeries, the real ones, not the fluffy pink ones,Victorian faery painters,faerytales, Dickens, Hogarth,Tennyson, Fuseli,Preraphaelites, 19th century America, good old London anytime, but especially pre 1910, images of american civil war soldiers and civilians, Victorian spiritualism, faded grandeur, terraced gardens, cemeteries, antique dolls, jet and anything that i find beautiful and that moves my spirit.
I live and work in Galicia, Spain but am English and also make faery and pixie talismans from ash wood. living in a watermill in the middle of a forest is very inspiring.
I am Happy for any of my old photo images to be used for artwork for private use but would like to be asked first, mainly because I would love to see the result !
Please always ask me first if you intend to use any of my images for profit or public display...thankyou!!
Photos of smokey lace (7)
- Antique Doll Collector Magazine 284 photos, 12 members
- Dollhouse Scenes and Settings Only / NOT Dolls 8,483 photos, 1,673 members
- 19th Century Traveling Photographers 217 photos, 44 members
- ART: Mysteries of Childhood 1,703 photos, 139 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,208 photos, 1,807 members
- Pteridomania 188 photos, 36 members
- Vintage Beauty (Pre-1950) 4,046 photos, 174 members
- Vintage Spirit Photography 202 photos, 1,228 members
- Early Photographs of Dolls 341 photos, 55 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 211 photos, 54 members
- Creepy & Cool 1,439 photos, 57 members
- The Family as Art 4,468 photos, 343 members
- Vintage Christmas Photographs 932 photos, 113 members
- Vintage Fun 1,829 photos, 94 members
- 19th Century Canadian Photographs 535 photos, 22 members
- Early Photographs of Children with Flowers 317 photos, 143 members
- The Victorian Mother 675 photos, 177 members
- Antique First Communion and Confirmation Photographs 255 photos, 51 members
- "The Haunted House" 588 photos, 214 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,806 photos, 101 members
- Vintage Copies of Early Images 119 photos, 24 members
- The Splot: Bad Coloring in Early Photographs 107 photos, 26 members
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 1,399 photos, 384 members
- Post Mortem 873 photos, 500 members
- Vintage Vignette 1,596 photos, 58 members
- Born in the eighteenth century 293 photos, 87 members
- Early Photography in France 932 photos, 97 members
- The Distance Between Stars 50,138 photos, 1,317 members
- 2's company 3,727 photos, 57 members
- ~ Vintage Love ~ Love captured 4,850 photos, 266 members
- Victorian Beauty 5,490 photos, 374 members
- Magic Lanterns 1,040 photos, 84 members
- When the Memory Fades: Identified Victorian and Edwardian Images 1,024 photos, 56 members
- A New Form Of Beauty 58,603 photos, 1,834 members
- The Painted Tintype 38 photos, 15 members
- Pictures in pictures 3,463 photos, 275 members
- Early Photography in Germany 5,218 photos, 117 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,780 photos, 349 members
- Flawed Memories 8,759 photos, 250 members
- Still Life Photography 98,234 photos, 8,936 members
- Old-Fashioned Circus 362 photos, 59 members
- Vintage Sleeping People 65 photos, 36 members
- The Memory 7,992 photos, 239 members
- Anti Photoshop 3,627 photos, 203 members
- Southern Gothic 9,703 photos, 473 members
- Strange Meetings/Juxtapositions (no people, animals...) 5,039 photos, 188 members
- Art History for Heavy Users 348 photos, 19 members
- Grave Flowers - Plastic 525 photos, 27 members
- Nineteenth Century Ambrotypes 977 photos, 119 members
- allthishappiness Deserves To Win! 61 photos, 39 members
August 20th, 2012
"Smokey Lace has quite the collection of endearing images here. Somehow with each breathtaking image she finds, she manages to outdo herself with another that stirs the imagination even more. Thank you for sharing your collection."
July 18th, 2010
"Smokey lace has an eye for beauty, but not just the every-day kind - the unusual, the overlooked, the rare, the extraordinary...it's all here in her impressive, enviable collection. She never fails to find something to evoke the emotions and the imagination. It has been a delight to visit her carefully selected collection over and over again."
May 9th, 2010
- smokey lace
- November 2009
- Maidstone, England
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- antique dealer