Situated at the center of the world's largest museum complex, the Smithsonian Institution Libraries (SIL) forms a vital part of the research, exhibition, and educational enterprise of the Institution. The Smithsonian Institution Libraries unites 20 libraries into one system supported by an online catalog of the combined collections which total approximately 1.5 million printed books and manuscripts.
Today, the Smithsonian Libraries participates in the advancement of science and the arts, just as we have done from the inception of the Institution. Our role vis-à-vis the Institution, the federal government, universities, and the American people has grown, changing to meet the needs of the times. Acting as both public and academic library, as both scholarly resource and general information service, the Libraries offers a galaxy of resources and the help of informed staff to anyone via the Internet or in person.
SIL is part of the Smithsonian Flickr Commons. Please visit us there.
Photos of Smithsonian Libraries (4)
Smithsonian Libraries' favorite photos from other Flickr members (8)
- #FantasticObjects tweetup 151 photos, 2 members
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art 20,577 photos, 2,471 members
- LIGHT Fixture (s) 2,310 photos, 511 members
- Biodiversity Heritage Library 1,477 photos, 23 members
- 2010 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 419 photos, 33 members
- Bringing Caldwell to Light 69 photos, 10 members
- Flickr Commons 2,275 photos, 2,074 members
- Family Weddings and Other Blessed Events 384 photos, 100 members
- Smithsonian 2.0 Conference 339 photos, 38 members
- SIL 40th Anniversary Kickoff Party 9 photos, 1 member
Smithsonian Libraries doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries
- March 2007
- Smithsonian Libraries