Welcome to the Smithsonian Institution!
The Smithsonian is happy to join the Flickr community. We look forward to your tags, comments, and general participation in this new venture. We will be adding more photos on a regular basis and hope you will often return to visit us.
The Smithsonian and Photography
Photography predates the founding of the Smithsonian by just a few years. The introduction of various photographic processes in the 1830s culminated in the development of the daguerreotype in 1839. From its founding in 1846, the Smithsonian adopted the camera to advance its mission, cataloging plant and animal species and documenting the grandeur of the American landscape and the continent’s original inhabitants. Photography brought the faraway near and made visible the previously invisible. Many of our photographs also serve as a historical record of the growth of the Institution.
The Photos You See Here
Only a very small percentage of our photographs presently exist in digital form, and many have not been fully researched and described. The photos you see here are a sample of the more than 13 million images in some seven hundred collections in our museums, archives, and research centers. These collections contain photographs collected from outside sources in addition to those taken by Smithsonian staff, and represent a broad range of subjects and themes in the fields of art, history, culture, and science.
Higher resolution versions of many of these images can be obtained from the Smithsonian. Follow the “Persistent URL” link located below each image for more information.
What Is the Smithsonian Institution?
The Smithsonian traces its roots to 1846 when the United States accepted a bequest from Englishman James Smithson to establish an institution “for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.”
The Smithsonian Institution is now the largest museum and research complex in the world. It consists of 19 museums and galleries, 9 research centers, and the National Zoo. The Institution cares for an estimated 137 million historical artifacts, works of art, and natural history specimens; 1.5 million library volumes and rare books; 89,000 cubic feet of archival material; and more than 2,000 animals. Smithsonian experts conduct research in art, history, culture, science, and technology. To enhance public access to this research and our vast collections, Smithsonian professionals are digitizing as much as possible as rapidly as possible and making these assets available via the Web and other technologies—all in pursuit of the Smithsonian’s mission “the increase and diffusion of knowledge.”
To learn more about us, explore the Smithsonian’s website.
To search across the Smithsonian's museums, libraries, and archives, visit the
Collections Search Center.
- Seabirds 37,069 photos, 2,711 members
- 50th Anniversary of Women in Space 448 photos, 39 members
- Then and Now 11,553 photos, 603 members
- 2010 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 384 photos, 31 members
- Smithsonian Through Your Lens 3,295 photos, 383 members
- Eye for Science 3,203 photos, 181 members
- Timothy H. O'Sullivan 37 photos, 80 members
- Britain's Postal Heritage 2,399 photos, 290 members
- Geotagged : Vintage photographs (1945 or earlier) 5,704 photos, 220 members
- NPR Look At This 148,068 photos, 6,140 members
- ArchivesOnFlickr 14,913 photos, 407 members
- Expo Montagem - Exhibit Design 1,163 photos, 183 members
- William H. Johnson 69 photos, 5 members
- Gene Davis 62 photos, 4 members
- Three wheels better 6,617 photos, 564 members
- 2009 Smithsonian Staff Picnic 48 photos, 19 members
- National Museum of American History 3,752 photos, 409 members
- Extraordinary Cultures Around the World 461 photos, 29 members
- @1934 376 photos, 98 members
- USA.gov - Official U.S. Government Photostreams 2,457 photos, 87 members
- Disability History 489 photos, 109 members
- Encyclopedia of Life Images 348,735 photos, 4,158 members
- SIConnections/Lincoln in Your Hometown 86 photos, 22 members
- Smithsonian 2.0 Conference 339 photos, 36 members
- Flickr Commons 2,630 photos, 2,625 members
- Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Renwick Gallery 1,692 photos, 310 members
Smithsonian Institution doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Smithsonian Institution
- March 2008
- Washington, DC
- United States
- Museum and Research
- Smithsonian Institution