Since childhood I have been interested in photography, but it was always too expensive to have your film developed and printed. Unfortunately I don't have any room to make a dark room on my own either. So when I bought my first digital camera about 4 years ago, I was happy like a kid in heaven. Snapping away, taking pics of everything that moved and didn't move. ;o)
2 Years later, I upgraded to Fujifilm Finepix S7000 and it was a huge improvement. Another year later I was in the decadent position to buy myself a Nikon D-70, sponsored majorly by my parents. And I thank them from the bottom of my heart that I was able to take this step, that I never dreamed was possible so soon.
In 2010 I bought myself a Nikon D-90, yet another improvement in digital imaging technology. The Nikonator (D-70) will still act as my back up camera. But she has taken so many pictures that she behaves like a tired old lady sometimes. And I like younger women better. ;o)
The fun thing about photography is that you can still learn from yourself and others every day. And that is what I am doing through talking to people on sites like flickr.
All photography is copyright © Eelco Kruidenier. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. None of these photographs may be reproduced and/or disclosed publicly in any way, shape or form without the written permission of Eelco Kruidenier. Write me at kruidenier.e(at)ziggo.nl if you wish to use one of my images.
(Yeah right, as if someone here on Flickr or anywhere else gives a rat's ass about that copyright statement. hehehe...)
"And when you rejoiced they saw you smiling at your rejoicing
When you wept they saw you smiling at your weeping
When you smiled they saw you smiling at your smiling
And you said "That's the way I've survived these years of dust and
blood." - Johnny Clegg -
"Shit happens, life sucks, and then your battery dies" - Fotomom -
"It is not my problem. But if people make it their problem, then I am fine with it. And that still does not make it my problem."
- Haags Bakkie 1,121 photos, 205 members
- Reflektionen 1,369 photos, 88 members
- Photographing Children with Special Needs 1,355 photos, 208 members
- Meetup De Rijp 2013 88 photos, 15 members
- THE J. PAUL GETTY MUSEUM 3,957 photos, 238 members
- Meet-Up Gorinchem 258 photos, 16 members
- MalinesGraphique 4,130 photos, 154 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,058 members
- A Sausage Obsession 233 photos, 62 members
- Wiki loves art /NL 4,360 photos, 284 members
- Flickr Photo Meet Up Groningen 24 may/ 24 mei 2009. 403 photos, 27 members
- Discovery Photos: Post 1, Vote for 3 745,961 photos, 29,677 members
- The Unforgettable Pictures ~ Post 1, Comment 3 ~ NEW RULES!! 375,481 photos, 31,420 members
- Urca 428 photos, 70 members
- Parking Lot Photography 2,833 photos, 365 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 64 photos, 27 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 1,446,881 photos, 61,767 members
- ~New Envy of Flickr!~ POST 1 AWARD 2 PLEASE!!!! 100,864 photos, 9,653 members
- Castlefest 14,433 photos, 277 members
- Ancient Egyptian Sarcophagi and Mummy Masks 3,095 photos, 304 members
- alan's psychedelic breakfast 4,884 photos, 1,051 members
- Plus+ 27,378 photos, 1,402 members
- A+++ Photo (Post 1, Give 3 awards ONLY) Not commenting = Ban 545,146 photos, 28,507 members
- FOTO Meet up Zwolle 18 MEI. 250 photos, 17 members
- Color Photo Award - PREMIER -- Post 1: Give 2 - Get 5: Go BRONZE 274,900 photos, 32,730 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 837 photos, 22,019 members
- Æ ARTISTIC EXPRESSION at Admin invitation (pls aw 1) 9,347 photos, 10,137 members
- The Flickr Portrait Gallery 402,729 photos, 22,175 members
- Leiden Meetups 274 photos, 27 members
- Wunderkammer 11,669 photos, 1,101 members
- Meet-ups Rotterdam 4,035 photos, 218 members
- Naturalis 601 photos, 86 members
- Experimentation 147,933 photos, 10,906 members
- Photowalk Belgium 35,438 photos, 718 members
- The Ancient World 59,366 photos, 1,936 members
- FishEye 168,701 photos, 14,685 members
- Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye 6,521 photos, 811 members
- *Flickrmeet Nederland* 2,786 photos, 374 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 285,501 photos, 41,388 members
- De Doka (1 foto, 1 comment) 311,162 photos, 2,486 members
- a fair price 742 photos, 322 members
- CUADROS Y MONUMENTOS/ART-PICTURES & MONUMENTS(POST 1,COMMENT 1) 53,561 photos, 4,401 members
- DIGIFOTO Pro 616,903 photos, 14,997 members
- Portrait Award (Invited only) 45,535 photos, 20,352 members
- Oud-Mechelen 325 photos, 71 members
- Leuven 22,559 photos, 702 members
- Flickrzoo 7,411 photos, 299 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,248,509 photos, 77,170 members
- Ljómi *a ray of light* Welcome 51,951 photos, 3,956 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 95,278 photos, 9,775 members
"Smiling...a man with a big heart! Funny,gentle and most of all: a very caring person! Thanks Co!"
September 28th, 2008
"A great photographer and friend. An afternoon with Eelco equals great pictures and an all round good time."
June 2nd, 2008
"Ok.. today was the first time that i stop to read about my sweet Smiling..
I was thinking before, to ask for him how long time he works like "photographer".. so my question and probably your question will be answering in his profile. So.. its amazing the magic that he does with his camera.
He can register the fun, the quiet, the silence, the dead, the live, the nature, the caos, the magic.. all the things in his own way.
I found Smiling da Vinci in fotologgers.. and i will never imagine that after almost three years i will found him , here too.
Friends forever my smiling
March 17th, 2008
"One of my most fun and admired friends in Flickr, smiling_da_vinci is a great photographer, of which his other testimonials speak very truthfully, I want to add that he is a great friend ....I was touched that he was disappointed I did not call on him in my recent trip to Amsterdam, he takes time to add thoughtful funny comment on my photos, and is one of my favorite friends on Flickr!!!!"
November 28th, 2007
profuse air says:
"Co, (neefje, ik ben ouder)
Ik moet je bedanken, je hebt mij gewezen op Flickr.com, en ik heb er enorm veel plezier in.
Co je bent een goede fotograaf ( ja wat wil je, je hebt ook een betere camera dan ik...lol).
Je bent creatief, niet alleen in het maken van foto's maar ook in het geven van commentaar...
Ga zo door......
Genoeg gelult anders streel ik je echo te veel.......
Groeten van je NEEF.....
January 18th, 2007
"Eelco is a Renaissance Man in the true meaning of the expression. His passion for learning, the arts and the world around him reflect this. He is a gentleman with a compassionate soul who has helped so many in so many different ways. He is fortunate in that he has been able to combine his passions and hobbies with his work. Not too many people can do that. I am honoured to call him my friend."
December 24th, 2006
"Eelco heb ik leren kennen op een meeting...Hij is ontzettend lief voor andere mensen..soms kan hij ook plagend zijn maar dat vind ik juist leuk in hem...Hij geeft ook geinige comments...Zijn werk bij Naturalis vind hij volgens mij heel leuk..
Smiling ik hoop je nog weer tegen te komen op meetings..maar dat zal vast lukken..Groetjes..Kisje...
Ps..als je het in het engels wil..vertaal je het voor me?"
December 12th, 2006
"Eelco is niet alleen een kei-goede fotograaf, met een originele kijk op de dingen - sinds onze ontmoeting op de Flickrmeeting in 'mijn' Mechelen wéét ik dat hij een toffe knul is!
Nu 'blader' ik met nog méér plezier in z'n 'foto-album'!"
November 24th, 2006
"Smilie is a Dutch Master photographer who works magic in the pictures that are full of his perception, kindness, and empathy. He has special affections in hearts of many inclusive mine."
September 6th, 2006
"I always sorprise with your pictures..."
May 8th, 2006
"he is the person in flickr that i know who have more testimonials than any other contact of mine. they must have said everything. so, there is nothing left for me.
[sorry for my english, eelco. =)]"
January 27th, 2006
"Always interesting in his point of view, Mr. Vinci lives up to his predecessor's reputation for being an iconoclast (but a kinder, gentler one) who produces thought-provoking yet beautiful images."
December 24th, 2005
"I have been a fan and a friend online at fotolog and now flickr of Eelco aka smiling_da_vinci for a long while. He shows his humanity and friendship always, and he is truly a wonderful person and an excellent photographer. I have followed his journey through good times and some bad. I have felt the outpouring of people’s emotion towards him, through this sometimes-cold network, it amazing. How does he manage to send such meaning and personal warmth is something magical and special. I am richer for knowing him. smiling_da_vinci is magical. Thanks friend!"
October 8th, 2005
August 22nd, 2005
Very great person!
I very much enjoy his work!
July 29th, 2005
angel of the odd says:
"there is a good reason he uses the word "smiling". his images and comments invoke a grin on my face every time.
his candor is a rarity in this day and age and i for one appreciate it to no end."
June 20th, 2005
"What can I say about dear Co?
He's the way he is! And so are his photos. He sees thinks and takes photos everywhere (although...have never seen a toiletshot, or did I miss that? LOL).
But he can also play with a photo and make something even more beautifull of it.
And he's a nice person in real!
Anyway: I love him and his work."
June 20th, 2005
"I can only think that his nickname is exactly who he is. This "da vinci" has been a consistent positive force within flickr for quite a while and has taken the time to comment on photos (even for us "newbies"), greatfully appreciated."
May 2nd, 2005
"Eelco aka Smiling Da Vinci aka Cootje is one of my oldest and dearest friends from fotolog and flickr. He is one of the sweetest guys you will ever meet in your life! Warm, caring, sensitive and a very passionate photographer! His fotos in the house of in particular 'things you can eat' are the best i think! They are made in a way that you want to lick your screen, lol! Keep it up smiley! Very very nice to have met you:*"
April 15th, 2005
"I love checking out Eelco's photos, you never quite know what you're going to see!
So many amazing and interesting surprises :o)
Seeing the world through his eyes is a wonderful journey that all can enjoy - his warmth, humor and kindness glows from his work!
Now go check 'em out and enjoy the trip..."
April 13th, 2005
lucky yoke says:
"By looking at Co's photography, we can view the world the way he sees it. He is able to find beauty in anything - whether it be a burning sunset, a glittering crystal, or something as simple as a biscuit :) His ability to see beauty, his warmth, kindness and cheerfulness is delivered to us through his photographs, creating a wonderful feeling!"
February 12th, 2005
- November 2004
- Voorschoten, The Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Single